Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

At least around here, all school zones do is lulls kids into complete obliviousness to traffic, and allowing them to do blatantly dangerous poo poo around moving vehicles.

I'm constantly annoyed by having to slow to a crawl in a school zone, surrounded by kids old enough to know better, stepping directly out into traffic without even looking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Saw my first really obvious drunk driver in a loooong time today. Motherfucker was going 10-15 under, on the interstate, and was barely keeping it between the lines, just all over his lane and some of mine. Actually thought he was going to hit me as I quickly passed him. It was also right around an area where the Staties love to sit but no such luck today.

This was at 7 in the morning, by the way :psyduck: .

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrYenko posted:

At least around here, all school zones do is lulls kids into complete obliviousness to traffic, and allowing them to do blatantly dangerous poo poo around moving vehicles.

I'm constantly annoyed by having to slow to a crawl in a school zone, surrounded by kids old enough to know better, stepping directly out into traffic without even looking around.

Or there's the other extreme, two crossing guards plus a pair of police cars monitoring a half mile stretch of 35 mph road with two 20 mph zones. In the ~10 years I've been using this chunk of road to get to work I have never once seen a child actually crossing it. But every single day they got the school zone flashers going and cops waiting in the wings to write tickets.

The worst part is that there are two cross streets right through the middle of the 20 mph areas, but these cross streets have no indication of the reduced speed limit. At least half the cars I've seen get pulled over in the area get nailed after turning on to the main street.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

xzzy posted:

Or there's the other extreme, two crossing guards plus a pair of police cars monitoring a half mile stretch of 35 mph road with two 20 mph zones. In the ~10 years I've been using this chunk of road to get to work I have never once seen a child actually crossing it. But every single day they got the school zone flashers going and cops waiting in the wings to write tickets.

The worst part is that there are two cross streets right through the middle of the 20 mph areas, but these cross streets have no indication of the reduced speed limit. At least half the cars I've seen get pulled over in the area get nailed after turning on to the main street.

Those persons should be able to contest those for improper signage. They added two more signs for the school zone on my commute on the cross street for just that reason.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Heater core is blowing cold on the Taurus, just in time for winter. We've past three of the four milestones of Ford ownership so far. Blown alternator, ball joints, and now the core. If everything is on schedule the motor mounts will be next.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The local police started a crackdown on distracted driving where they have a cop dress up as a hobo/undercover and just sit around waiting for people to be dongmasters.

While the local CBC affiliate was interviewing an undercover cop, someone right behind them decided to pull an illegal u-turn and start driving the wrong way up a one way street while talking on their cellphone. When the cop lit them up, the driver was also found to not be wearing a seatbelt with the whole thing filmed and live-tweeted by the reporter. Now that's an expensive morning.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 26, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I was driving my beat up lifted mud covered rotted out jeep comanche to NYC. (side note: a haggard vehicle like that is the best city driver, you win every time some douchebag tries to play chicken with you.)

YES! The last trip for the '98 Explorer was to midtown Manhattan. I was questioned by MY WIFE as to why we were taking the piece of poo poo. My response: "you'll see."

TAXI REVENGE. I didn't give a poo poo if they hit me or not. And guess what? They cared about getting hit more than I did! I never had the vehicle to test this before and it has given me much better manhattan driving skills.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I had a nickel size hole in the downpipe and between it sounding angry because of that and the general "popcan that's been chewed on and spit out" appearance, I had taxis yielding to me without me even really trying. All I had to do was goose the throttle to start pulling out and they'd back right off :haw:

33s and offroad suspension make NYC potholes, construction, and "delivery truck is parked in the middle of a one lane one way road, everyone get around them by driving on the sidewalk" road conditions rather cushy, too.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
My '91 Colony Park was a terrible city car in a lot of ways (tiny gas tank, huge turning radius, impossible to park) but absolutely nobody hosed with me when I drove it. It's sad to think I'll probably never own a car like that again, though the more I think about it the less sad I am, it was in such sketchy condition I rarely drove it outside of Brooklyn. Now I have an E39 and there's a marked difference in the way other drivers behave around me.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I was on 95 in Mass. around 1 am and approach someone going a bit under the limit in the center lane. When I pass them I notice a familiar gooncave glow emanating from the car. I look over and the driver is turned to the side, busily typing away on a laptop in the passengers seat. :stare:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
These are people you share the Tail of the Dragon with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBg9vmKbz0

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I have been up there a few times. Its really beautiful and a great way to meet some cool people/see cool cars.

However holy poo poo there are some idiots that blow through on occasion.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Ringo Star Get posted:

That looks more like Mulholland drive in CA. Note:I haven't been to either place.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

A few days ago, I was going down a local highway, doing 45, the speed limit, in the left lane while I passed some cars pulling into a parking lot. This guy came up behind me way too fast and rode my rear end for the five seconds or so it took to pass those turning in. I'm happy to report that this most recent colonoscopy did not result in my buying a new bumper. Anyway, when the right lane was clear, I merged back over because I'm not in that big of a hurry. My new friend decided to show me how much I insulted him and blasted past me.

"Feed the bears!" was all I could say.

Three miles later, I saw him off to the side, parked in front of a pair of flashing lights. Looks like the bears got fed.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

That looks more like Mulholland drive in CA. Note:I haven't been to either place.

rnickeymouse would be Mulholland. Also, Tail Of The Dragon is a lot greener.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Snowdens Secret posted:

rnickeymouse would be Mulholland. Also, Tail Of The Dragon is a lot greener.
It's The Snake on the Mulholland Highway, in the hills above Malibu.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

This should be an instructional video on how not to drive a RWD vehicle.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Motronic posted:

TAXI REVENGE. I didn't give a poo poo if they hit me or not. And guess what? They cared about getting hit more than I did! I never had the vehicle to test this before and it has given me much better manhattan driving skills.

Nobody I knew could understand why I drove a G Body in San Francisco. Except when I was passing SFO, and all of the taxis slowed the gently caress down as they saw me lumbering in the far right lane that they were going to be merging onto. Sure, parking was impossible, but its not every day a taxi slams on the brakes because they don't trust you.

For a brief moment in time, I also had the worlds' most expensive G Body I was driving a new SAN to San Jose.

Ringo Star Get posted:

1:30 :negative:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 26, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I love how the people rush out into traffic. Let's stop people being stupid by really being stupid! Had a flagger get killed not that long ago for doing the very same stupid poo poo. Hell, I've almost played wack-a-mole with a motorcycle rider's head because, while yes, his tires where in HIS LANE, his head was in mine.

Next time it happens, I've got myself a new hood ornament.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

West SAAB Story posted:

Nobody I knew could understand why I drove a G Body in San Francisco. Except when I was passing SFO, and all of the taxis slowed the gently caress down as they saw me lumbering in the far right lane that they were going to be merging onto. Sure, parking was impossible, but its not every day a taxi slams on the brakes because they don't trust you.

For a brief moment in time, I also had the worlds' most expensive G Body I was driving a new SAN to San Jose.

1:30 :negative:

Oh yeah I got whacked by a taxi cab mirror in San Francisco but I was in my Volvo 740 so I didn't care. The taxi driver was SO HAPPY I told him not to worry about it. It just left a black mark that came off anyway.

Edit: If I can see far ahead and nobody is around is there danger crossing over the lines? Obviously not talking about blind corners. I don't do any of that racing on the street poo poo though so it's just a hypothetical.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

On my way back to DFW, there was a douchenozzle cutting people off, flashing high beams at everyone (even in the right lane :psypop: ).. if you tried to pass someone she'd whip out behind you and ride your bumper, no matter how fast you were going. Then she made the mistake of cutting off several big trucks, then stopped flashing her high beams - she just left them on instead. :downsgun:

I don't know why someone would be driving like this in the rain, especially so close to freezing. But seeing her get boxed in by two big trucks up front, and one big truck in the back (with high beams + fogs lit up in her mirrors, rear truck straddling both lanes) made me laugh my rear end off.

Complete road rage by the truckers, but this is one time where I'll say it was well deserved. :haw:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Complete road rage by the truckers, but this is one time where I'll say it was well deserved. :haw:

Boxing the crazy lady in before she causes a pileup is a totally acceptable road safety measure and those truckers should be given little medals.

Sometimes I wish someone would do that to people during snow storms on our highways.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I love it when truckers tire of people being douches and just shut them down.

Saw a trucker take 5 minutes out of his day to cockblock some rear end in a top hat who thought jamming himself into a backed up exit ramp at the last minute was cool. Trucker just wedged himself in between the rear end in a top hat and the line of traffic and stopped moving, let everyone else by.

It was beautiful :allears:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

CharlesM posted:

Edit: If I can see far ahead and nobody is around is there danger crossing over the lines? Obviously not talking about blind corners. I don't do any of that racing on the street poo poo though so it's just a hypothetical.

If you are going so fast that you need to increase the radius of the turn, then you are going fast enough that abruptly changing your trajectory will cause you to lose control. You need to see far enough ahead that you can slow the car and change your line before meeting traffic. That would probably be 2+ turns so that you and an approaching driver can adjust before getting to the apexes in the same turn. And if you can see 2+ turns ahead, the road is probably straight enough to not necessitate cheating the curves.

There is also the fact that you picked that road because of it's curves. Taking the curves out defeats the purpose.

Those guys in the video are driving terribly, and wider turns hide their bad habits.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Ringo Star Get posted:

I kept the big green monster in it's lane on the Dragon, these people have no excuse.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Not that I'm excusing this behavior, these people need to slow down if they can't handle the road conditions, but it looks like there's one spot which unsettles all of the cars in this video that do stick to their lane. I think some of the people who are intruding into the wrong lane are doing so to avoid that spot. Obviously plenty of people who aren't terrible make it through here without a problem and without straying from their lane, so clearly these guys just need to slow down and stay within their limits.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Not that I'm excusing this behavior, these people need to slow down if they can't handle the road conditions, but it looks like there's one spot which unsettles all of the cars in this video that do stick to their lane. I think some of the people who are intruding into the wrong lane are doing so to avoid that spot. Obviously plenty of people who aren't terrible make it through here without a problem and without straying from their lane, so clearly these guys just need to slow down and stay within their limits.

It's just a tough corner.. it starts tight, and as you near to the exit, it gets even tighter. That's probably why there's so many people spectating there, lots of stupidity on display.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d634!2d-118.8038954!3d34.100572!2m1!1e3&fid=7

Helmet view of the corner here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44MUa4SuxoE&t=193s

(starting at a specific spot isn't working for some reason, jump to 3:10)

xzzy fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 26, 2013

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 22, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ringo Star Get posted:

This guy has a ton of videos from this spot, lots of bike crashes and police waiting to pull people over for jackassery.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I watched a few. There are a surprising amount of people who cross the line even with vehicles coming right at them, including a Bugatti Veyron! Assholes.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

I watched a few. There are a surprising amount of people who cross the line even with vehicles coming right at them, including a Bugatti Veyron! Assholes.

Theres alot of LA money that goes driving up there with cars that are waaay beyond their skill level.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All I know is if I ever find a twisty chunk of road that's really fun to drive, I will never tell anyone about it.

Popularity does terrible things to those spots.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm really worried because they're building a highway flyover near one of my favorite backwoods driving roads, and I know it's only a matter of time before I have to contend with more than just bicyclists and the occasional Camry driver on it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The trick is to go up there at night. We would go thursdays after the west la meet and not see anyone else. Weekends are a clusterfuck.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
We also share the roads with bad pedestrians. I caught sight of this one before the video even starts and for some reason I knew she would would do something stupid. Whenever I'm walking and I approach a busy street corner I start checking over my shoulder 100' before I get there to see if I can time it to hit a gap and not inconvenience anyone. She never once looks back, just strolls her headphone wearing rear end right into traffic. I was obviously ready to stop. Yeah, she has the right-of-way and I was ready to yield, but, poo poo, you gotta look, girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_IbGDqVdmA

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm really worried because they're building a highway flyover near one of my favorite backwoods driving roads, and I know it's only a matter of time before I have to contend with more than just bicyclists and the occasional Camry driver on it.

Hey now! I'm a performance Camry driver.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Michael Scott posted:

Hey now! I'm a performance Camry driver.

I'm being generous. Last time I was on it (in my '97 Impreza rust bucket - RIP) I had to wait behind a 911 turbo because he was afraid to go over 40 in a 60 on it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Coming into work this morning at about half six, fairly empty a-road, I'm doing 65 for economy. I see a Mini tailgating a wagon up ahead, maybe a little over a metre between them at 58mph in the slow lane. Other than us the road is empty, so imagine my surprise when the Mini pulls out in front of me just before I pull level with him. I brake like crazy and probably came within a couple of inches of hitting him then drop back, fuming and making sure the dash cam was on, yup it was.

Fucker actually slows down slightly, the truck started to pull ahead. I leave it a minute then flash my lights when it's obvious the Mini is totally unaware.

Glad I dropped back and left that gap, twat jumps on his brakes, forcing me to e-stop on an otherwise empty 70mph a-road.

Then he speeds off and I lose him. I get into work and pull the card from my camera, fully intending to report the fucker with evidence.

Card is corrupt. The camera thinks it's okay and writes happily, no pc reads it. I slap in a spare 2gb card and that records and plays back okay so I think that card is no good. Back to Amazon with you.

I don't understand people.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

This happenes this morning on my ride home.

Car decides to spin out while either slowing for the light or just..went out of control at 20mph?

Anyway, Dodge Ram almost made me a hood ornament so I had to step on the gas a bit to get away. Then I hung my phone out the window and yelled cheese to get the pic.

Surprised it turned out as clear as it did, considering I was shaking like a drat leaf from adrenaline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gileadexile posted:

This happenes this morning on my ride home.

Car decides to spin out while either slowing for the light or just..went out of control at 20mph?

Anyway, Dodge Ram almost made me a hood ornament so I had to step on the gas a bit to get away. Then I hung my phone out the window and yelled cheese to get the pic.

Surprised it turned out as clear as it did, considering I was shaking like a drat leaf from adrenaline.

:stonk:

As a native Floridian, I have to ask...

Why even go to work?