Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The only acceptable color commentating in baseball games is a silently glowering Hawk Harrelson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Thank you baby Jesus for letting MLB.tv not be blacked out by Fox next year.

Wait really? There's not going to be any blackouts on MLB.tv next year? Please tell me this is true.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

axeil posted:

Wait really? There's not going to be any blackouts on MLB.tv next year? Please tell me this is true.

Blackouts, yes, no national blackouts on Saturday afternoon, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zakharov posted:

*Jaws music plays*

They should just have Troy Aikman do baseball too

"Well thats a heck of a pitch, Joe, you can see right there he throws it and the ball goes into the glove. We talked to him on Tuesday and he told us he wanted to get the ball into the glove as much as possible, and he definitely did a good job of doing that right there."

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I gotta hand it to Fox for getting a list of candidates so bad that it's making me root for the terrible broadcaster who's been the rumored heir all year.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Any answer that isn't having Bob Uecker or Vin Scully calling the World Series is incorrect.

E: AL Michaels needs back in the booth fwiw.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 30, 2013

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
How in the world is Verducci even considered a color analyst anyway?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't really know that there's some special qualification you need to meet to do that job, but he's written about the sport for a prominent outlet forever. That doesn't mean that he's going to be good on TV, but there's no rule that you need to be a former player to do it.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

I don't really know that there's some special qualification you need to meet to do that job, but he's written about the sport for a prominent outlet forever. That doesn't mean that he's going to be good on TV, but there's no rule that you need to be a former player to do it.

I meant to ask how he's in the running for consideration. His stuff has never trended towards analysis, it's more reporting and public interest stuff.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Groucho Marxist posted:

I gotta hand it to Fox for getting a list of candidates so bad that it's making me root for the terrible broadcaster who's been the rumored heir all year.

Well it looks like Girardi might be the actual frontrunner and he's better than all of those guys, but on the other hand we'd lose the comedy of Joe Girardi's matchups book...

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Badfinger posted:

I meant to ask how he's in the running for consideration. His stuff has never trended towards analysis, it's more reporting and public interest stuff.

Sounds like someone has never heard of the Verducci Effect

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Badfinger posted:

Verducci's been doing color on MLB Network game broadcasts for the last year or so and I think even did some color work for FOX this year, he's definitely trying to get in a booth somewhere.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Verducci's also going to be in the sounds completely terrible TBS pregame show. I bet it is easier work and pays more than column writing.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
So the CSN Houston bankruptcy hearing is going on today and some interesting stuff has been leaked over the past month. Near as I can tell, the original projections for the station were just wildly unrealistic. Houston is a football town, the Rockets were a .500 team and the Astros were (and are) terrible. But it seems they had a deal on the table with DirecTV that the Astros vetoed (the company is organized so that Comcast, Rockets, and Astros can veto any deal). And today it was revealed that if they took that deal and made it with the other providers, the station would be cash flow negative until like 2019.

Maybe someone who understands MLB finances better than I do can shed some light on this, but it seems like the CSN Houston deal jacked up the sale price of the Astros before Crane bought them, and MLB teams are dependent on having big TV deals. So the Astros are probably in pretty dire financial straits at the moment, and really want to walk and sign a deal with FSSW or whoever. The Rockets and Comcast on the other hand don't need it to be immediately profitable and were willing to agree to smaller deals and prop the station up for awhile. So it seems like that was the major holdup.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This thread needs more love and I'm bringing it back to talk shop.

Dan Dierdorf has just announced his retirement today, effective at the end of the season. He was working on the CBS No. 2 crew alongside Greg Gumbel.

I never cared for Dierdorf as an analyst, but his departure will have a significant ripple effect, especially in an industry where announcing jobs are as secure as Supreme Court appointments. Awful Announcing has speculated that Boomer Esiason will move from the studio to replace Dierdorf, which is probably the thing they will do.

Personally I hope Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts get promoted to the No. 2 team on CBS, and they find a better color guy to help out Gumbel. Gumbel is a good play-by-play guy but he's been stuck with Dierdorf's banal crap for so long I think people have forgotten how good he can be.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Off topic but speaking of Awful Announcing, have any of you heard their podcast? I listened to it for the first time the other day with Jay Bilas and the guy on there has the nerdiest, most effeminate voice. I couldn't listen to it and I have a hard time even reading that site now. His voice sounds like Gendo's kji impersonation

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

BIZORT posted:

Off topic but speaking of Awful Announcing, have any of you heard their podcast? I listened to it for the first time the other day with Jay Bilas and the guy on there has the nerdiest, most effeminate voice. I couldn't listen to it and I have a hard time even reading that site now. His voice sounds like Gendo's kji impersonation

The only one I've ever heard was the one with Doc Emrick (maybe the Gus Johnson one, too) and, yeah, I know what you're talking about.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Big news in the hockey land--TSN may have lost NHL rights to CBC and Sportsnet

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013..._medium=twitter

If true, this is a gamechanger. Not only did TSN lose out on the lucrative Hockey Night In Canada license, this would competely kneecap their hockey coverage and give a big boost to Sportsnet.

E: It's been confirmed on Twitter. Huge news for Canadian hockey fans.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 26, 2013

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Refresh my memory - both TSN and Sportsnet are available on basic cable, correct?

Also, we need a gif of Ron Maclean and Don Cherry making it rain ASAP.

E: ALL NICK KYPREOS ALL THE TIME

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
What does this mean for the Hockey Theme? :ohdear:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

What does this mean for the Hockey Theme? :ohdear:
Sounds like we need to dredge up that old goon-made one.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
From what I gather, HNIC is staying with CBC, although TSN did try to make a big push for it.

The fact that they got left at the altar with nothing whatsoever is the real shocker.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Rogers executives are very hammered over their unbelievable coup

Bell executives are subsequently looking for rope at Canadian Tire right now

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I just heard on the radio that Rogers has exclusive broadcast rights for NHL hockey in Canada...

First, gently caress Rogers. Second; will this affect NHL Gamecentre (streaming)?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

In case anybody's looking for a strange crossover in broadcasting, NASCAR on ESPN PBP voice Allen Bestwick is calling the Boise State game this weekend. Saturday night, 10:15pm Eastern on ESPN2.

Bestwick did a few Arena Football League games on NBC as I recall, so he won't be too far out of his element. Plus, AB owns.

Crazy Ted posted:

Sounds like we need to dredge up that old goon-made one.

I have to hear this.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The best announcer crossovers are during the Olympics when they have people call weird sports from a studio and "pretend" it's live. They'll get anybody willing to drop by.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I have to hear this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZMnF1VNlE

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYeQCyTQFGA

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

It grows on people.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kornheiser wore a turkey suit on PTI today

I think that picture speaks for itself, really

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Benne posted:

I think he wears one every Thanksgiving Eve

For that matter, I enjoyed this year's turkeys more than the typical c'mon man these days

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Benne posted:

Tony Kornheiser is a national treasure :colbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Benne posted:

Still not as good as Patrick Stewart in a lobster costume for Halloween

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

FlamingLiberal posted:

Still not as good as Patrick Stewart in a lobster costume for Halloween

Post the picture man, don't be shellfish

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I feel a bit like a hypocrite, but for some reason I enjoy "College Football Final" on ESPN.

I have no idea why. I mean it features a lot of things that would be very cringe worthy in any other situation. A "mock debate", Lou Holtz, and Mark May.

However, I think Rece Davis does a tremendous job as an anchor, and for some reason "Embrace Debate" is okay when quarantined to discussing stupid things like "Who should play in the Rose Bowl?" is entertaining to me.

I think it'd be far better to just keep Mark May within that context, and have him not debate stuff like "ethics" of student athletes. You know..the type of stuff that would be better suited for a show like "OTL" or "PTI".

It kind of reminds of when ESPN would do RPM 2 NIGHT, or NFL Primetime. Both shows were very good, and often better than one would expect.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 2, 2013

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Reece Davis is extremely good at his job and deserves a lot better than what they've saddled him with. In general I think college football is the thing ESPN handles the best (and they're much better at it than any of their competitors), but May and Holtz are probably the worst parts of it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tebow is inevitable.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

MourningView posted:

Reece Davis is extremely good at his job and deserves a lot better than what they've saddled him with. In general I think college football is the thing ESPN handles the best (and they're much better at it than any of their competitors), but May and Holtz are probably the worst parts of it.
In The System College Gameday is basically presented as the best thing about college football (that and the rise of Ziggy Ansah), and a lot of the credit goes to how good Rece Davis is at his job.

AceFace905 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 3, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Tebow is inevitable.
Has anyone ever seen Tebow talk about football? I've been mostly disappointed with Ray Lewis on ESPN this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AceFace905 posted:

In The System College Gameday is basically presented as the best thing about college football (that and the rise of Ziggy Ansah), and a lot of the credit goes to how good Rece Davis is at his job.

He's not on college gameday so that's pretty impressive! I assume they were talking about Chris Fowler, who is also really good at his job.