Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'll take some photos next time, it was pretty easy. It was a very short fermentation so the flavor lacks a certain "depth". The thing of it is that the biggest hurdle is that it takes a few months to do it right but the difference between making a quart (my first attempt) and 5 gallons is completely trivial. Since there is a lot of soy snobbery going on here and high end products are very "in" right now, so why not use my knowledge of fermentation to access a niche market that is underserved right now?

Once I've brewed up the full batch I will probably need some expert tasters so I can best establish a price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

shaitan posted:

Been thinking of getting a Cleaver. What are some recommendations for brands or what I should look out for in a knife? Most likely I won't be able to actually try very many out and will have to order it online.

CCK small cleaver.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleaver2.html

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Dumpling trip report: delicious!

The wife and I went on a dumpling-making binge while watching football yesterday, and folded up a batch of chicken & chives dumplings, and beef & chives dumplings, basically using the recipes in this book. (Technically the beef recipe was filling for pot stickers, and the chicken one called for ground pork but meh) They were great - the ginger really shines when mixed with a lighter meat like chicken and some Chinese chives (there has to be a better name for those). And the beef ones had less ginger and less chives, but much more savory flavor.

The hardest part was figuring out how to properly fold the dumplings to get pretty pleats, but even our ugly dumplings were delicious, though the pleated ones do a better job retaining soy sauce when you're eating them.

We froze a few dozen, boiled about a dozen, and I made pot stickers of about four. Pot stickers were way easier to do than I thought - heat a small amount of oil in a pan (1-2 Tbsp), toss in the dumplings, after a minute or two of frying pour in a bit of water (a quarter to half an inch), cover and let steam for 6-8 minutes until the water has all boiled off, then uncover and fry for another minute to ensure they're crispy. Then eat.

What are your thoughts on boiling vs. steaming vs. frying vs. pot-sticker-ing dumplings? We found the pot stickers had a bit more flavor than boiled dumplings, but were more work to do.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My family boils dumplings for big gatherings and then makes pot stickers with the left overs the next day. My mom uses your exact method for pot stickers except she starts with boiled leftovers and adds less water. Also, try adding some shrimp in with the pork and chives.

Did you dip with just soy? The traditional Beijing dip is straight black vinegar. Though I like a mix of vinegar and soy myself.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Arcturas posted:

What are your thoughts on boiling vs. steaming vs. frying vs. pot-sticker-ing dumplings? We found the pot stickers had a bit more flavor than boiled dumplings, but were more work to do.

Personally, I like them all. In a pinch, I prefer pot-stickers because I like having a crispy texture combined with soft skin and the filling. Boiling is nice too, for a milder tasting dumpling without oil. I like that one with a mild filling and no soy sauce. The texture is nice and smooth, even more so if you have a fish dumpling. Mmmmmm.

Steaming is something I've only done with xiao long bao, and those are super delicious and special. Still, the best steamed one is the one mentioned very recently that is steamed and fried. Unf, so good! Crispy, soft, juicy, savory!

I guess what I'm saying is, I like dumplings.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

bamhand posted:

My family boils dumplings for big gatherings and then makes pot stickers with the left overs the next day. My mom uses your exact method for pot stickers except she starts with boiled leftovers and adds less water. Also, try adding some shrimp in with the pork and chives.

Did you dip with just soy? The traditional Beijing dip is straight black vinegar. Though I like a mix of vinegar and soy myself.

We dipped with a soy sauce/black vinegar mixture. I kinda wanted a spicy dip too, but we didn't have any chili oil and Sriracha's garliciness was a little overwhelming so I stopped that.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I just throw in some pepper flakes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Heat up some oil and then toss in the pepper flakes. Now you have chili oil. Add peppercorns if you're feeling extra bold.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Steamed veggie dumplings is a very common dish. When people prefer a lighter taste with all veggie dumplings, deep frying is kind of counter-intuitive (still doable).

One protip from the whispers of northern grandmothers:

Splash a ladle of ice cold water onto the dumplings twice before serving. Supposedly makes the dough more "al dente".

But dumpling preferences can be really subjective changes over time. I use to be content with noodles and dumplings in a bowl but later found out how gross and soggy it actually is compared to the northern stuff.

bamhand posted:

Yeah well, Beijingers are full of themselves, their food is like their dialect: over rated and muddled. Best dumplings are from the north east, anyways :dowsnrim

Serious talk, dumplings, soup, fried, pot stickers suck in southern China, perhaps it's how people knead the dough up north. Gluttonous sweet grounded sesame/red bean/peanut dessert dumplings is the exception and redeems the other food travesties. Wonton/huntun are not the same and not the same category.

TLDR, I love dumplings too and I love you all in this thread.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I was watching Way of the Dragon last night, and when this scene came up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmW-UPwsfas

I had to expect that joke fell pretty flat in Hong Kong. I mean, they were eating spareribs in HK in the early 70s, right? Done properly, Chinese spareribs are one of my favorite dishes. I've had them several ways, too. One place made them boneless in a sticky, bright red sauce, almost like char siu with sweet and sour sauce. Another took the traditional Chinese approach of chopping the poo poo out of some meat with a cleaver, then deep-frying it, so I got to gnaw around a bunch of bone fragments, but it was still really tasty.

Anyone got a good spare rib recipe?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

caberham posted:

Steamed veggie dumplings is a very common dish. When people prefer a lighter taste with all veggie dumplings, deep frying is kind of counter-intuitive (still doable).

One protip from the whispers of northern grandmothers:

Splash a ladle of ice cold water onto the dumplings twice before serving. Supposedly makes the dough more "al dente".

But dumpling preferences can be really subjective changes over time. I use to be content with noodles and dumplings in a bowl but later found out how gross and soggy it actually is compared to the northern stuff.

Yeah well, Beijingers are full of themselves, their food is like their dialect: over rated and muddled. Best dumplings are from the north east, anyways :dowsnrim

Serious talk, dumplings, soup, fried, pot stickers suck in southern China, perhaps it's how people knead the dough up north. Gluttonous sweet grounded sesame/red bean/peanut dessert dumplings is the exception and redeems the other food travesties. Wonton/huntun are not the same and not the same category.

TLDR, I love dumplings too and I love you all in this thread.

What's a good recipe for a northern dumpling filling, then?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Chives, pork, scallions, napa cabbage, and ginger is pretty standard in the north. There are a ton of different varieties though, I don't think there's one that's the official filling of the north. Some other notable combos are beef with leak and lamb with carrots.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Beef with tomato and mushrooms is amazing. Egg with spicy greens is also a pro filling.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

This northern place in my town has shrimp with pumpkin which is good but my favorite they have is pork and turnip.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I remember seeing jiaozi from Heilongjiang (waaay up north-east) with sour napa cabbage and pork filling on A Bite of China and it has sort of turned into my dumpling holy grail to have some one day.

One thing I wonder about - whats the deal with making a ring of the dough? Is it just a handy way of making a sausage shape out of it?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
What is the name of the 'dumplings' made from beaten duck egg?

Essentially you make a minced pork and whatever filling and then spoon beaten egg into a hot wok, then add a little of the filling and fold - like a tiny filled omlette.
I had them somewhere north of Shenzhen.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys food translation question. What is 菜渣 (cai zha) in English? I'm talking about extra the pulpy/stringy fibrous part of vegetables. Is there a specific name in English? And is there a term 汤渣 (tang zha), the left over solids to make soups and stocks.

branedotorg posted:

What is the name of the 'dumplings' made from beaten duck egg?

Essentially you make a minced pork and whatever filling and then spoon beaten egg into a hot wok, then add a little of the filling and fold - like a tiny filled omlette.
I had them somewhere north of Shenzhen.

Do you have a picture? Do you mean jian bing? Like a thin pancake like layer wrapped in an omelette?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

caberham posted:

Hey guys food translation question. What is 菜渣 (cai zha) in English? I'm talking about extra the pulpy/stringy fibrous part of vegetables. Is there a specific name in English? And is there a term 汤渣 (tang zha), the left over solids to make soups and stocks.

Do you have a picture? Do you mean jian bing? Like a thin pancake like layer wrapped in an omelette?

Not it but thanks - I actually went to the tourist cooking school for a day, it was pretty fun.
http://www.yangshuocookingschool.com/courses.php

They made similar ones here and I ate them a bit between here and Shenzhen.

Re your question if they aren't labeled cai zha they just called mustard greens AFAIK

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
First jiaozi attempt:

IMG_3426 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr
Filling was minced shrimp, scallion, ginger, garlic, and a little cilantro.

Also I bought some Angry Lady chili crisp and I want to eat it on everything I eat for the rest of my life.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Save me jeebus posted:

First jiaozi attempt:

IMG_3426 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr
Filling was minced shrimp, scallion, ginger, garlic, and a little cilantro.

Also I bought some Angry Lady chili crisp and I want to eat it on everything I eat for the rest of my life.

Good god. They looks delicious. Post process photos please.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Gorfob posted:

Good god. They looks delicious. Post process photos please.

:shobon: thanks. I will try to take some photos next time I make them. It was a learning experience, for sure - I ended up with about half of them rupturing. I think I am going to get a steamer basket for my wok and line it with napa cabbage leaves in the future. I ended up steaming them in the steamer basket on my pasta pot.

I used this dough recipe:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/28052-basic-dumpling-dough

I used 1lb of shrimp and no other substantial fillers (2" ginger, 3 garlic cloves, a bunch of scallions, and a handful of cilantro all chopped finely together with marinade) and had about a quarter of the dough leftover. Enough to make some cong you bing.

eta: the recipe calls for 3/4c of water, but adjust as necessary. I live at 7000ft in an arid climate so I used a little closer to 1c.

remote control carnivore fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 30, 2013

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I just wanted to throw my hat into the ring and say that this is an awesome thread. I definitely want to cook more Chinese dishes and I've now got some learnin' to do :chef:

HOWEVER:

You didn't title the thread "You Can Tell By The Way I Use My Wok"?

I don't even know if that would fit but FOR SHAME.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 1, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, wok-shopping time

Trying to see if I can just get one wok for both stovetop and outside burner use, or if I need two.

Kenji recommended a flat bottom 14 inch 1.5mm-thick wok for western stoves. Will a round one with a wok-ring work the same? I know that there's always the outdoor jet burner option, but curious if I can make stovetop also work with a round one.

I read some amazon comments saying that 2mm was kinda heavy for stirfry, but that it's good for deep frying because of increased thermal mass, and that 1.5mm is better for stirfry because of thermal responsiveness and lightness. Yes/no?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, wok-shopping time

Trying to see if I can just get one wok for both stovetop and outside burner use, or if I need two.

Kenji recommended a flat bottom 14 inch 1.5mm-thick wok for western stoves. Will a round one with a wok-ring work the same? I know that there's always the outdoor jet burner option, but curious if I can make stovetop also work with a round one.

I read some amazon comments saying that 2mm was kinda heavy for stirfry, but that it's good for deep frying because of increased thermal mass, and that 1.5mm is better for stirfry because of thermal responsiveness and lightness. Yes/no?

I bought http://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-21-9972-Classic-Carbon-Steel/dp/B002AQSWNE/

It's been good so far on my gas stovetop, no wok ring. I haven't been cooking with a wok for long, but I've found it makes a great stir fry.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Does anyone know how to make the standard Cantonese steamed fish? I know you steam a whole gutted fish and there's hot oil at the end to crisp the skin, I don't know the name of the dish. Paging Caberham.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Grand Fromage posted:

Does anyone know how to make the standard Cantonese steamed fish? I know you steam a whole gutted fish and there's hot oil at the end to crisp the skin, I don't know the name of the dish. Paging Caberham.

Something like this maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naNB9-0moBs

I haven't tried this recipe but I think I was linked to this lady's channel from this thread, so I bet someone in here has.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nickoten posted:

Something like this maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naNB9-0moBs

I haven't tried this recipe but I think I was linked to this lady's channel from this thread, so I bet someone in here has.

That definitely looks like the dish, thanks. Also confirms my instinct that trout would be a good choice for it, hope I can find some.

Wok hei question time. I have a crappy teflon flat bottom wok that you've seen. I just got a cast iron pan, and was thinking it might be better for stir frying? The short sides are a problem but I figure the cast iron is going to be better in every other way. Getting a non teflon real wok in Korea is virtually impossible (I haven't found one, anyway--all cookware is teflon, presumably because Koreans are terrified of seared meat) so these are my only two choices.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Cast iron is kind of heavy and when it gets hot it's even more of a bitch to shake. You might be better off with your crappy wok. I'd just try using both to see which you like more.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
I vote cast iron for stir fries. The main difference is that you can get the cast iron really hot. At high enough temperatures the teflon will come off and cancer you. You won't be tossing stuff in the air like on TV but just keep the food moving (a pair of tongs will make up for the short sides and keep you from knocking food everywhere).

The teflon is fine for lower temp dishes like braises, steaming or eggs.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Any good gas burners for woks? I just have an induction cooking plate and obviously that's not going to work out (round bottom doesn't transfer the heat, not getting hot enough, can't shake it without losing heat).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

That definitely looks like the dish, thanks. Also confirms my instinct that trout would be a good choice for it, hope I can find some.

For the soy sauce base, I would recommend lee kum kee steaming fish soy sauce. It is slightly sweeter and thinner than regular soy sauce.

Grouper/Trout works fine. Best to get fish from the deep oceans near Philippines. But for steamed fish, it's really the fish that counts. Larger, pricier ones like Rock grouper or coral trout have a much silkier and firmer texture. But they cost and arm and a leg :smith:

Interesting tid bit about salting the insides, (my home recipe doesn't but we do it for chaozhou style salted/steamed fish). I will post my salted carp dish next time.

quote:

Wok hei question time. I have a crappy teflon flat bottom wok that you've seen.

Yes, cast irons are the best, but that means you also need those huge burners or something for super duper high heat. For home cooking, teflon is "good enough" and it doesn't make that big of a mess afterwards.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Any good gas burners for woks? I just have an induction cooking plate and obviously that's not going to work out (round bottom doesn't transfer the heat, not getting hot enough, can't shake it without losing heat).

I use an sp1 jet cooker. 185k btu. Works very well. ~$40 on amazon.

185,000 BTU by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I used to think teflon was good enough too until I got a steel wok seasoned properly. Teflon is not good enough.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Agreed - i've had a carbon steel wok for almost 3 years now (from the Wok Shop on Amazon), once it got seasoned sufficiently it's been just as non-stick as the crappy Teflon one we used to have, and cooks much better.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

I use an sp1 jet cooker. 185k btu. Works very well. ~$40 on amazon.

185,000 BTU by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Is this safe to put inside? I don't want to set my kitchen on fire.

csgohan4
Dec 4, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Lemon sole, dover sole or Turbot is good for steaming.

separately using some vegetable oil pan fry some chopped ginger then put it on the fish raw and then put some soy sauce. Depending on the size of the fish, steam it for 15 + mins, you know it's just cooked by the flesh flaking off with a fork

You can choose to put black bean as well if you so wish

csgohan4
Dec 4, 2013

Deathwing posted:

Agreed - i've had a carbon steel wok for almost 3 years now (from the Wok Shop on Amazon), once it got seasoned sufficiently it's been just as non-stick as the crappy Teflon one we used to have, and cooks much better.

More of a fan for Circulon products with their lifetime guarantee and hard anodized material which is scratch resistant. Not too sure about Teflon with it degrading in time and coming off in your food. Not good.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Is this safe to put inside? I don't want to set my kitchen on fire.

um. if you have a really really really really really good kitchen vent hood... and very tall ceilings.

other than that, no.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Has anyone tried induction heaters for indoor applications? Since the process has been used to melt steel, it should theoretically be able to get things hot enough. But I'm not sure what the ranges are on cooking applications and it would be an expensive experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody know the English name for this leafy green? Seen it in Chinese grocery stores in America and now this garden store shot in Taiwan. My wife's favorite. Might also be a question for the gardening thread. Looks kinda like arugula but tastes different.