Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Vauban maybe? Bastille isn't too hot. Putting vertical bounce pads on elevator consoles makes slotting it worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It seems like every character has a bad power (or 2) in this game. Is there anyone who has a full stack of 4 useful powers (Rhino exempt because he seems to be the best overall frame)?

All of Loki's powers seem (to me, new scrubby player) pretty good, Decoy is nice for delaying waves in defense, Invisiblity makes you a sword spamming god and gets you out of jams, Switch Teleport is nice for being a jerk to people and getting around annoying enemies when you're mad dashing through a level, and Radial Disarm is nice with an aoe charge weapon.

By the way, how bad/good is Fragor? I can't really decide because It's still only at Rank 4, but it's pretty fun to mess around with even if its combo is painfully slow.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

I regret not making this my first crafted weapon. Seriously if you are new you should get this asap. For whatever reason pistol/secondary ammo seems to drop a shitload more than primary ammo so rarely do I ever run out of knives, I've been using the Kunai to level a lovely primary and on top of that it appears to be doing more damage at lvl 15 than my lvl 30 Braton.

The only thing I don't really like about it is that it staggers some enemies so aiming is a little tricky until you get used to that.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Vauban Chassis alert just popped up on Met is, Jupiter. Y'all have 40 minutes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Got about 16k exp from that alert. :stare:

Valkyr built, and drat she is squishy as hell. Didn't help that I was using a Paris against Vor with a team of people who ran past every enemy. Tearing dudes in half with the Ripline is entertaining, though.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Penpal posted:

Vauban Chassis alert just popped up on Met is, Jupiter. Y'all have 40 minutes.

I logged in six minutes after it finished. It's the last piece I need, too. :saddowns:

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Tezzeract posted:

What are good ways of farming credit? I've already used up all of the ones from the Jupiter event :sweatdrop:

Alerts will give credit rewards but I don't usually bother with them unless it's at least 4-5k.

If you do some Mobile Defense or Survival runs with a solid team (Survival for at least 15 minutes) you can make 10,000+ each round.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Last night I got radiation and I think cold on my Braton and it just melts through Corpus. I'm really enjoying the way mods work. This is also the second F2P game I've spent real money on, first being Marvel Heroes. I bought $10 worth of platinum and it makes me feel good supporting the developers.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Chubbs posted:

Alerts will give credit rewards but I don't usually bother with them unless it's at least 4-5k.

If you do some Mobile Defense or Survival runs with a solid team (Survival for at least 15 minutes) you can make 10,000+ each round.

Alert credit rewards were approximately doubled in the last patch. Most of them are over 4-5k and they routinely show up over 10k. But long-term survival's my go-to, as well. I'm already there for the materials and shots at rare tradables.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
I wonder if steam will have any black friday sales for some of these Warframe starter packs. If it's good enough, I may just plop down some money for platinum so I can get some sweet ninja scarves.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

What are the best survival missions to run? Just pick the lowest level ones, to go longer and dice up mooks for loot? Or are there specific ones I should hit.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Starting to understand the thread title a bit. I keep flipping between liking the game and being really "meh" about it, but then I'll end up playing 2 hours of it and only stop because I either ran out of revives or need to go to bed.

Got it on PS4 with PS+ and such so I had a bunch of plat, which I used to buy 2 potatoes and some slots so far, I think I have 116 left. I used the frame potato and I'm holding on to the weapon one for now, but should I just slot it into the Braton or the sword I have with Loki and buy some more, or is there like a good weapon later on that I'll want it for? I mean I'm currently not hurting so much on trying to cram mods into weapons. Like 5% more damage would be nice, but is it as nice as 30% more reach? I honestly don't know. Also is there a way to compare weapons and poo poo in game, cause as it is I don't know about buying anything at all because I can't tell how it will change stats, but I guess the way to go is to build things anyway right?

Also I guess throw me in the PS4 clan if there's room (edit: PSN name is same as on here). I probably won't be on for a while after today due to the holidays, but I'd like to help goons get flamethrowers if I can.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 26, 2013

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Don't potato the starter weapons, it's not worth it. You'll replace them soon enough

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
You should save the weapon catalyst for a good primary or secondary weapon, like the Strun or the Kunai. Don't use it on any of the starting melee weapons, even if you are using Loki stealth crits alot.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.

skystream92 posted:

I wonder if steam will have any black friday sales for some of these Warframe starter packs. If it's good enough, I may just plop down some money for platinum so I can get some sweet ninja scarves.

IIRC, there were indeed discounts on the packs during the steam summer sale.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Noblesse Oblige posted:

IIRC, there were indeed discounts on the packs during the steam summer sale.

They actually dropped to -75% during a community choice deal.

For what it's worth, the packs are -50% on Amazon right now. You can scrounge up an even better deal buying codes on Ebay or the SA Mart. I think there are a bunch of 465 plat codes up for $10 in the SA Mart right now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It seems like every character has a bad power (or 2) in this game. Is there anyone who has a full stack of 4 useful powers (Rhino exempt because he seems to be the best overall frame)?

Nope, pretty much no one. Closest are probably current Rhino or Volt.

Let's see:
-Excal: Super Jump is a weak movement gimmick, Radial Javelin is a really lovely uber, Radial Blind is too expensive for what it does.
-Loki: Radial Disarm is in the running for shittiest uber.
-Mag: Bullet Attractor usually doesn't make up for the loss of weakness damage unless you're playing with really bad shots, shield polarize is worthless against half the enemies in the game.
-Ash: Teleport is a joke of a power.
-Banshee: Sonic Boom is of questionable use, Silence is actually the most worthless power in the game(if you want to stealth there's a plethora of already silent weapons).
-Ember: Overheat sucks now, Fireball has always sucked.
-Frost: Freeze would be great if it didn't break the nanosecond the target takes HP damage, Ice Wave costs too much for what it does and is usually not worth casting versus simply Avalanching.
-Nekros: Soul Punch is lovely, Desecrate is pretty lovely, Shadows of the Dead would be pretty good except the AI of the shadows is crippled so they'll often shoot walls and poo poo instead of moving two feet to give themselves a clear line of fire.
-Nova: Null Star is a waste of a mod slot.
-Nyx: Psychic Bolts is an abysmally terrible nuking power.
-Rhino: Rhino Charge isn't as good as slash dash, which is about the worst thing you can say about Rhino because he's a godbeast.
-Saryn: Venom and Contagion are both almost worthless.
-Trinity: Well of Life has always been a bad power because health tanking doesn't work in warframe. If you need a top off, Blessing does the job 10000% better and more reliably.
-Valkyr: Warcry is garbage because while the AS boost is nice, the armor buff is worthless and the movement speed debuff almost unnoticeable and it's spendy on a frame with energy problems. Paralysis is a PBAOE tiny radius nuke that does damage based on your shields, which are incidentally the worst in the game. Hysteria is a fun but ultimately lovely uber because while you're invincible you have to run around chasing dudes and trying to punch them to death instead of snapping your fingers to kill everything like most good ubers.
-Vauban: Bounce is mostly good for trolling people and that's it. Bastille is good for cheesing infested, but got nerfed pretty hard with the target cap so now is kind of eh(and is bad against enemies with guns).
-Volt: Hard to say. Shock used to be worthless and Overload used to be a bad uber, but they both got buffed pretty decently so I'm not sure.

Any powers I don't mention here range from "pretty great" to "amazing".

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hmm, did Overload/Shock get buffed recently? Volt was still poo poo two months ago.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Sonic boom is amazing crowd control. Bullet attractor isn't bad cc either since it's basically a reverse snowglobe that also damages whoever you cast it on.

I've been playing volt recently and I'd definitely say all 4 of his skills are good. When shock damage drops off, it still has that ridiculous chain stun. The benefits of speed and electric shield are obvious. Overload deals an absurd amount of damage and has the same ridiculous stun that shock has.

I only use him against corpus though so it's probably likely that he still sucks rear end against everyone else

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hmm, did Overload/Shock get buffed recently? Volt was still poo poo two months ago.

Volt benefits hugely from Damage 2.0 because electricity is no longer a lovely garbage damage type like it was in 1.0 and it actually affects infested/armored grineer. Shock is now guaranteed to chain to multiple targets and give them a pretty lengthy stun.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Speaking of Volt, is the wiki right about him becoming the second Alert only frame?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I can kill big groups of enemies with a single shock.

I noticed something pretty neat everybody probably already knows, the game remembers how your mods are slotted and will even warn you if you try to change a mod slotted in another weapon or frame. It's nice to see this, I was worried it would just forget or I would accidentally power up a mod too much.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Speaking of Volt, is the wiki right about him becoming the second Alert only frame?

He might be now. Golem dropped his blueprints, and Golem is no longer a permanent boss.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Schubalts posted:

He might be now. Golem dropped his blueprints, and Golem is no longer a permanent boss.

They confirmed in the U11 patch notes that J3-Golem was becoming an alert boss on special infested invasions, and that he still carried Volt parts. So, yes, Volt's just become another alert-only frame. Thank heaven I got to Golem and ground those BPs out first (though if he's still 75 plat, it's not a disaster).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

That's that, then. I got his parts right before Alad unlocked. There were like 10 constant groups running Golem during the last 3%. He's still 75 platinum, though.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Kanos posted:

You're giving people bad advice here. Radial Disarm is pretty much worthless against Infested, because for some reason DE chose to make it do a trivial amount of damage to them instead of disarming (seriously, why can't you just make it chop Ancients' big extendo-arm off?), but it's great against Corpus and Grineer. It's a uniquely useful power because while it does no damage, it renders ranged enemies nearly helpless, permanently. Yes, even heavies, they don't even keep their ability to groundslam. No gun-using enemy can do anything but run around like an idiot with a dumb cattle prod after they've been hit by it.

This may not seem terribly useful if all you're doing is lower-level stuff where other frame ults can one-shot literally everything, but when you get into places where the heavies can take several ults' worth of damage and even a few grunts can survive one, Loki's 'woah guys, time out' power becomes fantastic. Granted, I still take my Nova or forma-ed Rhino for most 'serious' stuff, because Loki is so squishy and other frames have a range of more useful powers for defenses and the like. Still, don't underestimate Radial Disarm, a corrupted mod build with max range and max power efficiency can trivialize content with the best of them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

Stuff about bad powers.

You're a little harsh on some of the powers, I'd say. Radial disarm is really good for any non-infested missions and is only not amazing because full room/universe clear skills exist. Loki is probably the best designed frame in the game in terms of being powerful without trivializing the game too much, to be honest. Venom is good for keeping boss shields down over a fairly long period of time, at least. I'm guessing you maybe meant antimatter drop rather than null star on Nova. Unless the new damage system was a buff to it, I think drop's damage still isn't spectacular and it still has some screwiness with hosting vs. not. Null star may not be the best damage, but it staggers on hit, is really efficient, and doesn't require any thought, plus it's a great roller defense. Well of life has some use in its combo with energy vamp, unless they fixed that.

But yeah, I'd agree with the rest. Again it just goes back to the original problem where in most cases room clears basically just trump every other skill a frame has, especially when their 1 is just a smaller version of the room clear.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 26, 2013

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Radial Disarm is the funniest goddamn skill in the game in grineer defense and I will accept no argument.

Hitting 20+ dudes and running around in Yakety Sax mode while they try to tase you is glorious.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I've been having fun with Ember since I got her made yesterday. She's absolutely hilarious in infestation missions (especially infestation survival missions) but kinda meh against the other 2 factions. Turning on World on Fire with a maxed out Stretch/Constitution and running around like an idiot as numbers pop up all over the place is always great, though.

But I have to say I really, really don't like her design. Those things attached to her leg armor make her look like she has thunder thighs and I think she has chicken claws for feet?

It is also super weird going back to non-Rhino frames and actually having to deal with knockdowns, staggers, stuns, energy drains, and all that business again.

Also also, gently caress the loving Raptor boss. He is basically pubbie kryptonite. None of them know how to not die out in the open and then the rest of the group will get killed trying to revive the first guy. It usually ends up with me slowly WoFing him to death from inside one of the crates then hoping I don't die on the way to the exit alone. At least it only took 7 runs to get all the Nova blueprints :shepface:

Anyway, next frame up for me is probably Trinity. Any tips/tricks/strategies for her?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Kanos posted:

Portland Loki and his corrupt cop beatdown army would like a word with you.

Crowbear posted:

But I have to say I really, really don't like her design. Those things attached to her leg armor make her look like she has thunder thighs and I think she has chicken claws for feet?
Ember is literally a chicken. I am not kidding.
Much earlier in DE's design document, Ember was intended to be male, and they showed off their old paper napkin concept art in a stream: original Ember's helmet actually had a beak and rooster comb.

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 26, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Cathair posted:

You're giving people bad advice here. Radial Disarm is pretty much worthless against Infested, because for some reason DE chose to make it do a trivial amount of damage to them instead of disarming (seriously, why can't you just make it chop Ancients' big extendo-arm off?)

I think it used to do that. :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chumbler posted:

You're a little harsh on some of the powers, I'd say. Radial disarm is really good for any non-infested missions and is only not amazing because full room/universe clear skills exist. Loki is probably the best designed frame in the game in terms of being powerful without trivializing the game too much, to be honest. Venom is good for keeping boss shields down over a fairly long period of time, at least. I'm guessing you maybe meant antimatter drop rather than null star on Nova. Unless the new damage system was a buff to it, I think drop's damage still isn't spectacular and it still has some screwiness with hosting vs. not. Null star may not be the best damage, but it staggers on hit, is really efficient, and doesn't require any thought, plus it's a great roller defense. Well of life has some use in its combo with energy vamp, unless they fixed that.

But yeah, I'd agree with the rest. Again it just goes back to the original problem where in most cases room clears basically just trump every other skill a frame has, especially when their 1 is just a smaller version of the room clear.

I'm pretty harsh on it specifically because those room clear moves exist, really. Radial Disarm is a move that stops a bunch of enemies from attacking you. There's a plethora of other frames with moves that cost the same energy and occupy the same design slot(the uber) that simply kill all of those enemies instead, often with their own useful secondary effects(Rhino Stomp, Crush, and Miasma's 50 billion second stun, Avalanche's temporary freeze, Overload's chaining, etc). Radial Disarm simply doesn't compare on any level.

I'm also looking at it from a perspective of energy being a zero sum resource. All of your powers pull from the same pool; a Radial means two less uses of Invisibility or four less Decoys. Bar an emergency "OH gently caress, THE CRYOPOD" moment invisibility is almost always a better use of that energy both in terms of dealing damage and keeping yourself alive.

Please note that Loki is my second favorite frame after Nyx(and he was my starter back in the halcyon days of update 2 or so), so I'm not hating on him. He's my go-to guy for pretty much anything I ever solo. He's just not great at defensive missions and that's okay.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 26, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Fish Noise posted:

Ember is literally a chicken. I am not kidding.
Much earlier in DE's design document, Ember was intended to be male, and they showed off their old paper napkin concept art in a stream: original Ember's helmet actually had a beak and rooster comb.

:stonk:

So... she's a fire chicken? That sounds familiar...

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
So sentinels only get one weapon? My carrier is only rank 17 and the shotgun is almost maxed out.

Also can someone give a quick rundown on what prime weapons are?

Also I donated to the PS4 clan towards the koi pond. I think we are only like 5k of a certain material away.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Prime Weapons are weapons you get the blueprints and parts for from Void Missions; I don't have one yet, but iirc they have different polarity slots and maaaybe different stats? Other carriers come with different weapons, I think you should be able to change them? I also only have the Carrier, though if Volt is becoming an alert only 'frame I might get him + another sentinel.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

So sentinels only get one weapon? My carrier is only rank 17 and the shotgun is almost maxed out.

Also I donated to the PS4 clan towards the koi pond. I think we are only like 5k of a certain material away.

Any sentinel can equip any sentinel weapon. If you want to get a new sentinel weapon, build a new sentinel and just swap the weapons out. At the moment I think only the dethcube's gun and carrier's shotgun are worth using. Nobody uses shade for damage and wyrm's gun is just kinda there. Not sure about djinn's weapon. It is worthwhile to have both the deth rifle and sweeper as choices, since you can avoid needing to have redundant mods if you have both due to being able to use sweeper primary if you have a rifle and deth rifle if you have a shotgun primary.

Prime weapons are only available from the void (each part and the blueprint are random completion rewards from different types of mission) or in some cases throwing a boatload of money at DE. They generally have slightly superior stats to their non-prime counterparts, come with 1 or 2 built-in polarity slots, and have fancy gold poo poo on them.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

katkillad2 posted:

Each sentinel gets a different weapon, but once you have them they can be swapped between the different sentinels. So if you want another weapon for carrier you need to buy/make another sentinel and steal its weapon.

Prime weapons have a different look and their stats are tweaked (to be better) from their vanilla counterparts. The Bronco Prime has higher damage and a bigger magazine than the regular Bronco, but shoots slower and takes longer to reload, for example.

Prime Warframes just get an extra Polarity slot and (imo) look cooler.

Speaking of which, I'm assuming Prime frames will give you mastery if you've already leveled the non-Prime version. I wanna make a Mag Prime because Mag owns but I would wait on that if not because I need to get to Rank 6 asap.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Primes count as completely separate items to the game. Warframe/weapon-specific mods are usable by Primes, though.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

For the 4th of July I ran around as a very patriotic Ember wielding an Ignis. Because America.

Crowbear posted:

Speaking of which, I'm assuming Prime frames will give you mastery if you've already leveled the non-Prime version.
This is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

Volt benefits hugely from Damage 2.0 because electricity is no longer a lovely garbage damage type like it was in 1.0 and it actually affects infested/armored grineer.

That's what I was hoping. loving awesome, I guess I'll dust him off and try to learn to live without Iron Skin for a minute.