Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Crossposting from Early FPS thread:

MrBims posted:

First impression of Tower of Guns is pretty rough for me. It is a bullet-hell-esque game with a first person perspective, so everything that bounces around the level and/or leaves some persistent area of effect can get you easily since you don't have any kind of peripheral vision, and accuracy is heavily de-emphasized given the giant proportions and slow (or completely static) movement of most enemies. The Binding of Isaac namedrop feels more like hanging onto its coattails than an appropriate comparison - Isaac is focused on resource management and has a sliding scale between heavy decision making in the earlygame to heavy action gameplay in the lategame, while right now Tower of Guns is just straight run & gun with the only decisions being whether to buy some item or hang onto your money.

I paid 3 dollars so I don't feel burned at all, but it probably isn't going to be up to snuff for its full price any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, I can't disagree with that assessment. It's a fine mod of the Unreal Engine, and there is something unique and baroque about coming up against nine cannons each also have nine cannons firing at you, but it's just basically random Serious Sam with claustrophobia with no co-op and a nice graphical look. It's worth a buck fifty and a few hours of your time, and vaguely roguelike in that it offers some new combination of terrain each play, but that's it for now.

To be fair, it looks like it isn't promising much more than that, and development is limited to one dude with a dream. I don't mind funding that.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Desktop Dungeons is consuming my life. Best game I've bought all year, hands down.

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
I've been playing a lot of Claustrophobia: The Downward Struggle lately.

Someone posted about it in this thread a long time ago, but it has had a few patches since. It was originally dismissed as a Dungeons of Dreadmor clone which was true at the time, but it's starting to take a life of its own.

The main difference currently is that you don't design your character before the run starts. As you level up, every 'class' is available to you, each class is a skill tree and you more or less pick the skill trees you want access to. Not all classes are implemented yet, but progress is being made - there are currently 12 of 15 planned classes implemented.

Each floor is enormous, they've actually been scaled down a bit but they're still huge. The map is split in to clearly defined rooms - it used to attempt to minimize hallways giving the entire thing a cluttered and disorganized feel but in recent patches level design is becoming more coherent and there are hallways and corridors. There are libraries full of bookshelves, dining rooms full of food, rooms full of barrels or gold, etc.

The game absolutely vomits crafting materials at you and there are a ton of things to craft, which plays really well with the class system - as you progress you end up tailoring your character to what you're finding as opposed to looking for items that are tailored to your character. Loot has random modifiers (think Diablo) and when you craft an item, what you're actually crafting is e.g. "Uncommon Bow" or "Rare Sword", which will be a random bow or sword with modifiers that may or may not be useful to you.

It was also originally kind of aimed at mobile devices and the interface reflected that but it's shifting towards a home on the PC and work is being done on the UI with this in mind each patch. It used to be entirely mouse based but you can do everything with standard roguelike controls now.

Whether or not you should buy it depends on how much you value $5 and how much you hate early access but it's distinctive enough now to be worth considering.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Apologies if this was linked earlier; I just found this thread. There's an active LP of Angband in the LP subforum, and other thread participants are contributing playthroughs of ToME2, ToME4, Sil, and Steamband.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How do people feel about project zomboid? Looks decent.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

I bought in somewhat early on, and occasionally check out their website to see their progress. In my opinion this isn't a game yet, it's just a prototype. They're still going through a rewrite of the engine (going from 2d sprites to 3d models). Only buy it if you really want to support the devs, I made the mistake of thinking it would be out a lot sooner.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Playing ADOM for the first time as an Orc Barbarian. I just beat the quest to rescue the mad carpenter from(by killing him, since he trapped me in a one-way corridor). As well as the puppy quest(by retrieving its corpse). Where am I supposed to go next? Neither the elder, sheriff, or druid will give me any quests.
Also is it possible to gain literacy as a barbarian, and if so, how?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

It is fun whilst being an alpha still. I think once they add NPCs back in it'll really become a lot more deeper and deadly, as currently whilst surviving alone is fun/challenging with NPCs it'll just be so much more.

Also mentioned in the steam thread, people should try Coin Crypt it's cheap and fun:

Yodzilla posted:

Dumb and Fat Games developers of perfection have just released Coin Crypt on the Humble Store with Steam Early Access key included!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7l2ATFHWpo

It's cute and pretty unique. It's a roguelike in structure but your health, abilities and currency are all dependent of the same pool of coins in your pocket, each with an ability and a value. You have to spend these coins both in battle and in stores but be careful as running out of coins is an instant game over. More coins are earned by killing enemies and exploring dungeons and such. I'm having a blast so far!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Eschatos posted:

According to the wiki, it should be a reward from the first minetown quest, or you can get it from eating a dark sage corpse.

Coincidentally, minetown is exactly where you should be headed right now. Spoilered in case you want to discover it yourself: head for the CoC, it's pretty much in the middle of the overworld map in the east face of a mountain range.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

I like this game a lot and wish others would give it a chance. The guy making it hasn't been around for a few months but I know he is in school so hopefully he is just busy with that and didn't abandon the game.

It's a really nice beginner roguelike I think. I actually liked the old room layout better though. Hopefully he updates it soon and joins some indie bundle do get some notice.

Also, if this was an android I'd waste way too much time on it.

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013

Eschatos posted:

Playing ADOM for the first time as an Orc Barbarian. I just beat the quest to rescue the mad carpenter from(by killing him, since he trapped me in a one-way corridor). As well as the puppy quest(by retrieving its corpse). Where am I supposed to go next? Neither the elder, sheriff, or druid will give me any quests.

Two ways: eat a dark sage corpse (not cursed), or drinking the guaranteed potion of literacy in dwarftown you get for Thrundarr's first quest (kill a random monster, kind of a pita in the more recent versions as it can pick some pretty rare monsters!

Oh, wait, I think there's a third way: 'C'hating with the ghost librarian in the library, though this requires you to be lvl 18+, have 100 climb/stealth. But by that point you've probably been to dwarftown.

dumpster17 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 21, 2013

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Christ, Desktop Dungeons is brutal. Is there a general rule for exploration vs. engaging visible enemies? I tend to prefer to scout around for powerups and glyphs before I start engaging things, but I get the feeling I might be shooting myself in the foot by denying myself the regeneration.

Also, what the hell do you do with a Monk?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I haven't played the new version, so this is all based on the alpha, but from what I remember...

You want to engage enemies pretty much as soon as feasible. Exploration, and thus healing, is a limited resource, and if you ever look at a new tile with full HP/MP you are wasting some of it.

Monks, as I remember, have double healing, so they can do a thing where they punch a dude, wander into the darkness and heal twice as much as the enemy, punch the dude again, and so on until they've taken out someone slightly buffer than they should be able to, at the cost of a lot of healing.

Also they are super awesome with whichever race converts glyphs to damage bonuses, since they effectively get double benefit. And if you ever find a way to get even more resistance, you again get more benefit than normal (a 10% damage reduction boost shaves off 20% of the damage you would have taken, it's nuts.)

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
I didn't like Monks in the alpha and I'm having trouble with them now, too. They get +50% phys resist innately (not sure what it tops out to but I know it's more than the 65% max everyone else gets) but -2 base damage (per level i think?) and -20% attack bonus. I almost lost the only run I tried (orc monk in the eastern tundra for a quest) because I underestimated how suddenly his attack damage would fall off. I had to kill the boss at level 7 because I couldn't kill anything else without spending comparable resources. Maybe stacking resist and flat damage reduction is the way to go, but I don't have the patience. There's a poison glyph I haven't unlocked, maybe he can put that to use?

I'm about to the point where the only new stuff is the hard dungeons, but I'm trying to hold off until I have all the gods so I can use the extra altar prep. Idk why, I don't have a good handle on how to use them. Any time I worship anyone other than Pactmaker or Taurog I barely scrape through a map that should have been a cakewalk. Oh and I probably will not make much use of altar desecration. I was at ~50 piety for glowing guardian and had a shot at his 100 piety dealy, so I broke one of Jehora Jeheyu's and (on a 50/50 roll according to the definitely faulty wiki) he sunk me. I took a big hit to base damage, bonus damage, and max hp. Worth doing if you find it early in a map and can escape if you roll wrong, or if the map was already unwinnable. When will this be for phones.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Frankosity it just takes a minute for you to get a feel for it, but the bonus for killing higher-level monsters is big enough that exploring a quarter of the map to find the level 2 monsters / glyphs / extra health or whatever you need at the beginning is totally worth it. Try like heck not to use any potions until you're fighting the boss though. Always use all the preparations you have available, +2 base attack is huge help at level one. Worshiping a god is a sidegrade

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Monk is probably my worst class, but here are a couple useful tips-

Burndayrayz prevents 1 point of HP regen for every stack that's on an enemy. With a monk, you want to run up to a guy and punch him until you're near death, burn him as many times as you can, then go regen. If you get up to 6 mana by exploring go back and add another fireball stack to the guy, go back to regening, then punch him to death. The stacks of burning go away when you hit any enemy, so it's better to attack->burn->regen->burn->regen->kill then do attack->burn->regen->attack->burn->regen->kill if that makes sense (since the burn stacks will stick around for longer.) I've you've unlocked the blood mage, his glyph is crazy good on the monk for extra fileballin'. Anyone with a magic attack is the worst, and you really really don't want to get weakened or corroded. Taurog is a good god for monks since he lets you overcome the attack strength malus.

You also want to juice as much XP as possible from every enemy. This is true of every class in the game, but it feels crazy important with a monk since they're so bad at killing stuff. A slowed enemy gives +1 exp which sounds like nothing but it can really add together over the course of a run. WEYTWHUT is your friend, though monks tend not to have enough mana to cast it if you're killing stuff like I outlined above. The petrify glyph gives you +50% experience on your next kill, which can be HUGE. Try to keep some level 1/2 enemies around just so you can stone 'em later on. Keep an eye out for Gorgons, since once you can take a shot or two you can kill ones like 4 levels above and get a huge XP bonus. I think if you need to use a pot to kill a monster +4 levels or so above it might be worth it for the XP advantage, but this is mega case by case.

quote:

Any time I worship anyone other than Pactmaker or Taurog I barely scrape through a map that should have been a cakewalk.

The only one I'm basically always happy to see is Earthmother -- she's really good assuming you keep enough piety around to cast clearing a few times and not get totally blocked in by plants.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

NmareBfly posted:

You also want to juice as much XP as possible from every enemy. This is true of every class in the game, but it feels crazy important with a monk since they're so bad at killing stuff. A slowed enemy gives +1 exp which sounds like nothing but it can really add together over the course of a run. WEYTWHUT is your friend, though monks tend not to have enough mana to cast it if you're killing stuff like I outlined above. The petrify glyph gives you +50% experience on your next kill, which can be HUGE. Try to keep some level 1/2 enemies around just so you can stone 'em later on. Keep an eye out for Gorgons, since once you can take a shot or two you can kill ones like 4 levels above and get a huge XP bonus. I think if you need to use a pot to kill a monster +4 levels or so above it might be worth it for the XP advantage, but this is mega case by case.

This is absolutely true - getting the most XP you can out of the monsters you get access to makes everything much easier in the long run. One good way to learn how to do this is to do all of the puzzles that show up as soon as you can; learning how all of the little quirks of the XP system, the spells, etc. all work lets you squeeze in those early kills worth huge amounts of XP and will let you turn an early level advantage into a sure win.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Is it still okay to post YASD?

Angband 3.5 dev:

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=15199%27

I couldn't find any speed boosting equipment, and my resistances were somewhat terrible. On the upside, that's the farthest I've ever gotten playing a roguelike of any description.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Frankosity posted:

Christ, Desktop Dungeons is brutal. Is there a general rule for exploration vs. engaging visible enemies? I tend to prefer to scout around for powerups and glyphs before I start engaging things, but I get the feeling I might be shooting myself in the foot by denying myself the regeneration.

Also, what the hell do you do with a Monk?

The right preparations will make killing a level 2 or 3 right off the bat a lot more feasible, and that's what I'm typically aiming for. I tend to take the +2 sword from the blacksmith and either the +4 damage sword from the locker or the platemail, depending on the class. If you haven't done the second fighter challenge, I seriously recommend it because the platemail is a game winner a lot of the time. From there, I look to snowball by killing monsters 1-3 levels above my character. Against some monsters, like sheep, you can even manage to take out +4 ones without resorting to potions. Often depends on you getting a Cydstepp rune, though.

For monk, stack as much damage as possible, but make sure you have a fireball rune. Nothing kills a monk run faster than magical attack or curse enemies, which become more and more plentiful as the game progresses. Honestly, Monk is probably the most difficult class to play, all around. I generally just spawn Taurog and go full melee monk, but that doesn't work in a lot of situations. gently caress slime bosses.

edit: Also, if you know you're going to lose a run, just exit the dungeon through the way you came instead of suiciding your character into something. Took me a long time to notice that and it amounted to a lot of wasted gold in rebought preparations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there a generally recommended order for progressing through the game in desktop dungeons? I have hit a brick wall trying to finish beginner brigade with a thief, i just can't seem to do it. Should there be something else I work on for a while first?

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Can you actually avenge a previous character in dungeonmans in Summer Preview Build 2013 1.07c? I never seem to be able to and i have gone all round the dungeondungeons trying to.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

andrew smash posted:

Is there a generally recommended order for progressing through the game in desktop dungeons? I have hit a brick wall trying to finish beginner brigade with a thief, i just can't seem to do it. Should there be something else I work on for a while first?

I feel bad for you son. Beginner Brigade is probably the easiest quest in the game. Although I suppose thief is the weakest tier 1 hero by some accounts.

I think my biggest piece of advice is, the order you want to upgrade hero buildings to level 2 is wizards first followed by fighters. Those unlock very important preps and relatively weak enemies. Another thing you can do is go into some of the compass direction dungeons and unlock shops, gods and races, none of which requires you to beat the levels you can just retreat after finding them.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

DalaranJ posted:

I feel bad for you son. Beginner Brigade is probably the easiest quest in the game. Although I suppose thief is the weakest tier 1 hero by some accounts.

I think my biggest piece of advice is, the order you want to upgrade hero buildings to level 2 is wizards first followed by fighters. Those unlock very important preps and relatively weak enemies. Another thing you can do is go into some of the compass direction dungeons and unlock shops, gods and races, none of which requires you to beat the levels you can just retreat after finding them.

The other three classes were really easy, I agree. I just haven't found a good way to leverage the thief's bonus ability at low levels so maximizing xp is really difficult.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

andrew smash posted:

The other three classes were really easy, I agree. I just haven't found a good way to leverage the thief's bonus ability at low levels so maximizing xp is really difficult.

Early in the game when your prep choices are weak you may be forced to fight equal level monsters to get up to 3 or 4 before the thief hits his stride. It's not optimum but you can use slowed level 1 enemies to help you get through levels 1 and 2 faster.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Dirk the Average posted:

do all of the puzzles that show up as soon as you can; learning how all of the little quirks of the XP system, the spells, etc. all work lets you squeeze in those early kills worth huge amounts of XP and will let you turn an early level advantage into a sure win.

This is the single biggest bit of advice I'd give anyone re: Desktop Dungeons. The power of quite a few of the game mechanics isn't immediately obvious, but these mechanics can make a huge difference in gameplay, and learning how best to use them is pretty key to getting past tough spots.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Having hit level 10 with careful use of IMAWAL and WEYTWUT without even touching anything above level 7, I can definitely agree. I have to say, I've never found much of a use for PISORF, though.

Incidentally, for Dimensional Dealings (buy every item in a level), am I best served running a Thief for that?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Ah Map posted:

Can you actually avenge a previous character in dungeonmans in Summer Preview Build 2013 1.07c? I never seem to be able to and i have gone all round the dungeondungeons trying to.

That feature has been available since 1.03. The patch notes live here http://www.dungeonmans.com/?page_id=290

quote:

Fallen Heroes!
* Dungeonmens who get killed may linger on in one form or another. If you return to the location where a previous hero has fallen, search carefully!
* Depending on the level of the fallen hero, you can gain some bonus experience, a powerful weapon, or…

You need to visit the dungeon and floor the hero died on. A more complete explanation is below:

Find a blue funeral pyre on the floor where you hero fell. You will get an XP bonus based on his level. In addition, if he was level 5 or higher, you'll find his weapon (or sometimes armor) enchanted with unique and powerful bonuses you can't get any other way. If a hero of level 9 (or is it 10, I'll check) or greater dies, he will return as a ghost to teach at the Academy.

Now, so far, I haven't seen any bug reports saying that this doesn't work, but that doesn't mean there isn't a bug. The most recent build (also at the above link) is quite stable, so if you're willing to restart your Academy and get some new features, you should give it a try.

When I revisit this system for the alpha, I'll be extra careful.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Cross posting from the Android thread, it seems more appropriate here - in Pixel Dungeons I was wondering about a good armour strategy for rogues... like should I just stick with cloth armour, or use all my upgrade scrolls on plate armour or something, or ignore the dodge bonus and just use armour like the other classes?

It's a pretty hard class to use and I haven't been able to hit on a strategy yet.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Frankosity posted:

I have to say, I've never found much of a use for PISORF, though.

PISORF produces knockback, which does physical damage and doesn't trigger retaliate. Also Binlor. Also Also the Halls of Steel. But it's so situational that I convert it on sight 80% of the time.

Frankosity posted:

Incidentally, for Dimensional Dealings (buy every item in a level), am I best served running a Thief for that?

Technically, yes. You'd want to run Double Doom (or something with three bosses?) with a thief, black market, gloves of midas.
Personally, I got it coincidentally on a two boss level without any of those preps, so I think the 25gp bonus for the second trophy is the only thing you'll really need.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain

DalaranJ posted:

PISORF produces knockback, which does physical damage and doesn't trigger retaliate. Also Binlor. Also Also the Halls of Steel. But it's so situational that I convert it on sight 80% of the time.

PISORF is more mana efficient than the fireball for converting mp to raw damage for most characters in my experience, though I do tend to emphasize + base attack to make starting out easier. If you bang one monster into another, it hurts them both (good for leveling efficiency if you find/manipulate two adjacent higher-level monsters). The monster you're using for a backstop won't die, he'll just be stuck at 1 hp, so any adjacent monster serves to soften up a boss. Breaks walls in a pinch.

Oh and yeah, that buy everything goal isn't too tough. Just hit the northern desert with black market on and you'll probably get it.

MPLS to NOLA fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 26, 2013

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, PISORF looks terrible at first, but it actually has a surprising number of uses - I'll generally lose when inventory space gets sparse if it's not good against the boss, but in most circumstances it's a perfectly good substitute for both BURNDAYRAZ and ENDISWAL. It's also very nice in levels that can spawn things around you (like Magma Mines or Hexx Ruins).

Now LEMMISI, that one's conversion fodder. Ditto BLUDTOPOWA for most characters.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I know LEMISI gives you HP and MP for the squares it uncovers, can you use that to get heals without moving away from a damaged enemy, or do they still get to heal?

e: I've never actually tried, I always just convert it.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I know LEMISI gives you HP and MP for the squares it uncovers, can you use that to get heals without moving away from a damaged enemy, or do they still get to heal?

It acts just like if you were uncovering the spots by movement, so the enemy heals too. It's nice to be able to squeeze out the last spots on a map with a lot of unreachable geography, and it's essential for some of the challenges because of how the maps are built, but it's usually just a convert for me too.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Here's a thing: http://oryxdesignlab.com/news/2013/11/25/trials-of-oryx-begins

quote:

Introducing the first of the many Trials of Oryx. Game creators are challenged to create a game of any kind using the Ultimate Roguelike Tileset. The contest lasts one month and winners will receive wonderful prizes including free Oryx Design Lab sprites for life and up to $500.00 in cash. More information on the trial including rules can be found here.

Why am I doing this? Because I want to play some games using some of my artwork! I want to give back to the community, and have a bit of fun.

I still haven't really seen a roguelike use these excellent tiles that's held my attention for more than a few minutes, not counting Brogue Tiles (http://oryxdesignlab.com/brogue-tiles/), which is a rev behind.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Here's a thing: http://oryxdesignlab.com/news/2013/11/25/trials-of-oryx-begins

I still haven't really seen a roguelike use these excellent tiles that's held my attention for more than a few minutes, not counting Brogue Tiles (http://oryxdesignlab.com/brogue-tiles/), which is a rev behind.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Unormal posted:

Do it.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Unormal posted:

Do it. I would pay money for qud tiles. Also osx support.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do it. I would pay money for qud tiles. Also osx support.

Sadly I realized it's only 4 weeks, I don't really have the time this month, with Thanksgiving travel and all. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

No they still get to heal, the buff that LEMISI got from the alpha was "This glyph specifically targets nearby monsters and other points of interest." Notably BURNDAYRAZ has a very high priority as a 'point of interest'.

I'll have to give PISORF more of a chance. It'll definitely help out in the rock garden which is where I'm up to next.