Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I would wager either Mycroft doesn't know, or the phone call they did have falls into the period between "ages" of non-speaking. It is true that barring an extreme emergency Sherlock will not directly contact his family.

Mysterious phone call is mysterious! Mycroft is up to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:10bux: says he was talking to Moriarty.

I'm almost inclined to take you up on that. It seems too obvious for a big swerve like that. My guess is they're sticking closer to the source material and it's British intel. The restaurant gig is his front.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hollylolly posted:

I would wager either Mycroft doesn't know, or the phone call they did have falls into the period between "ages" of non-speaking. It is true that barring an extreme emergency Sherlock will not directly contact his family.

Mycroft said Holmes hadn't spoken to their father in years. He doesn't know about the call. On the other hand, we also have to ask how Holmes senior gave Sherlock his marching orders to New York if he didn't speak to him.

I also don't think Mycroft was talking to Moriarty. However, it's ambiguous as to whether Mycroft wants Holmes to work in London or doesn't want him to work in New York.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Jedit posted:

I also don't think Mycroft was talking to Moriarty. However, it's ambiguous as to whether Mycroft wants Holmes to work in London or doesn't want him to work in New York.
I had that thought as well. Moriarty (or another crime lord) would want Holmes out of New York. The British government would want him back in London.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Blind Pineapple posted:

I'm almost inclined to take you up on that. It seems too obvious for a big swerve like that. My guess is they're sticking closer to the source material and it's British intel. The restaurant gig is his front.

That would be my guess as well. I certainly hope that will turn out to be the case. I like the way Elementary have used Morarity so far, but if every single shady thing was suddenly connected to her I'd get bored.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
With the way his father is never present in person for Sherlock he could have spoke on the phone with a secretary and that, along the years, came to be what Sherlock mean when he says I spoke with my father.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I feel like Lestrade might turn up to be important again and he'd certainly have reason to want Sherlock to return to London. No idea how he would have persuaded Mycroft to play along, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

inklesspen posted:

I feel like Lestrade might turn up to be important again and he'd certainly have reason to want Sherlock to return to London. No idea how he would have persuaded Mycroft to play along, though.

He couldn't. Whoever Mycroft called is either an employer or an equal partner, and Lestrade is in no way significant enough to hold those positions with Mycroft.

One possibility is that Mycroft is doing something for the British and/or US government in New York and they want Sherlock back in London because he will poke his nose in if he's still there.

It's also possible that this isn't the first time Mycroft has manipulated Sherlock to move him about on the board. We still can't be totally certain that he wasn't the one who relocated Sherlock to New York and hired Watson. This would fit with him saying it's been years since Sherlock and his father have spoken, when it's been less than two years since Sherlock moved into the brownstone.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I like the idea that Mycroft was speaking to the British government, but I don't know why that would be an urgent matter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snipee posted:

I like the idea that Mycroft was speaking to the British government, but I don't know why that would be an urgent matter.

When Mycroft is working for the government, it is always an urgent matter.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Jedit posted:

When Mycroft is working for the government, it is always an urgent matter.

Mycroft doesn't work for the British government. Mycroft is the British government. :dealwithit:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

New Episode tonight!

On The Line

Holmes and Watson uncover the identity of a serial killer whose case has gone cold and find themselves butting heads with the NYPD.

No new episode next week due to Thanksgiving.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 21, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do those summaries need to be spoiled? Sounds like the most generic episode description ever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A Crime!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:lol: I don't know, but it's technically a spoiler even if the description is "A Crime happens, Holmes and Watson will solve it. OR WILL THEY." I will err on the side of caution.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow that gave me chills. Yikes.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
That was a really good episode.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
This episode felt really dark and really intense, probably because there isn't a lot of levity between Watson and Holmes.

So yes, good episode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The whole "I'm a seriously bad person who will hurt someone the moment it gives me an advantage" seemed a little trite. The more they try to emphasize Sherlock's dark side without him doing anything seriously dark the less I believe his claims of being some monster. Outside of him torturing the man he thought killed Irene Sherlock hasn't done anything shocking or repulsive that would make Watson wary of him.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

pentyne posted:

The whole "I'm a seriously bad person who will hurt someone the moment it gives me an advantage" seemed a little trite. The more they try to emphasize Sherlock's dark side without him doing anything seriously dark the less I believe his claims of being some monster. Outside of him torturing the man he thought killed Irene Sherlock hasn't done anything shocking or repulsive that would make Watson wary of him.

I'm pretty sure that's how you're supposed to feel. Despite thinking of himself as a machine, Sherlock is real person with real emotions. He represses them most of the time thinking that emotions are a weakness, but every now and again he'll let something out. His spiel about making an exception for Watson was some serious mental gymnastics to get around saying that he cares about her. She sees that and that's why she still challenges him to open up on occasion, although she is able to pick her spots a lot better than now than when she first met him.

I did like this weeks episode. It played out like an episode of Lie to Me, and Holmes, Watson, and Gregson all got some new depth. The show does tend to act like Holmes, Watson, Gregson, and Bell are the only people in the NYPD unless there's a corrupt cop who needs to be there for plot advancement, so the angle they took with the side story this week was pretty neat. It does make sense that there'd be a lot of resentment towards Holmes and Watson from some of the veteran detectives, and it tied in nicely to Holmes' and Watson's different views on wanting to be liked.

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 22, 2013

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

hollylolly posted:

I was thinking maybe Mycroft wants Sherlock back in England because it would be easier to keep tabs on him, because they've discovered that someone is after Sherlock.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

I think the fact that he was ready to frame the killer from last night is a pretty good indicator of how dangerous he can be. You'll note that Watson didn't talk him down by appealing to his sense of justice or morality, she did it by revealing an as yet uninvestigated aspect of his crimes - the fact that he'd need to feed/guard/store his victims. If that aspect hadn't been considered, I have no problem believing that Sherlock would have framed Lucas Bundsch. Assuming that attempt failed, I have no problem believing that Sherlock would have murdered Bundsch to stop him and avenge his victims.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

Having him abduct and stab a man is way more payoff than you see with the average "dark" character, and I don't think you're supposed to see Sherlock as seriously dark, just dangerously gray.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
Loved the episode. I got a real kick out of seeing Sherlock's anger well up and punch Lucas in the face.

Also, I'm wondering if the NYPD's resentment is eventually going to lead to a "BBC's Sherlock" style situation where Sherlock is framed up for a crime (possibly by Moriarty) and the cops don't believe that he's innocent.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
That was an incredible episode. I forgot how scary and unstable Sherlock could be, but fortunately, the writers didn't.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Oz posted:

Loved the episode. I got a real kick out of seeing Sherlock's anger well up and punch Lucas in the face.

Also, I'm wondering if the NYPD's resentment is eventually going to lead to a "BBC's Sherlock" style situation where Sherlock is framed up for a crime (possibly by Moriarty) and the cops don't believe that he's innocent.

I'm thinking that the resentment gets bad enough that Gregson is unable to hire Sherlock and we do get another London arc to pay off on the Mycroft plot.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

jscolon2.0 posted:

we do get another London arc to pay off on the Mycroft plot.
I wonder if they'll do the same "Actually film in London but get ALL the geography of the place wrong" thing again? (Only shot of the episode where they were where they said they were was the last one, getting on the Heathrow Express at Paddington)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ookiimarukochan posted:

I wonder if they'll do the same "Actually film in London but get ALL the geography of the place wrong" thing again? (Only shot of the episode where they were where they said they were was the last one, getting on the Heathrow Express at Paddington)
I'm sure they do that when filming in NYC, but as I don't know New York, I'm not aware of it.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
This is a weirdly conservative show. The camera doesn't moves during scenes, the lighting is kinda dim, the colour palette is brownish, the background music is real spartan, the editing is straightforward. I feel like if the show was more up its own rear end it would get more accolades. But it puts the focus on the mysteries and the acting, and those totally deliver in spades. I was re-watching last season and there's a scene where Holmes witnesses a blackmailer's murder while hiding in the bathroom; you can only see him through a tiny slit in the doorway, but Miller acts the poo poo out of that scene with just his one eye, it was impressive.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The writers revealed there are two different Clyde actors. Spoilers.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

The writers revealed there are two different Clyde actors. Spoilers.

Does one do the close ups and the other the stunts?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
No, they just do it to get around the archaic turtle labor laws. Come on Hollywood, it's not 1925 anymore, let a turtle get an honest day's work in!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Thought this deserved a link from here - a tumblr devoted to Joan Watson's wardrobe! I just love her clothes.

Unfortunately it appears that she saved a lot of money from her doctoring days, as most of her pieces are out of my price range (that range being "on sale at Old Navy"). :lol:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

hollylolly posted:

I just love her clothes.

I'm still all about her perfect ponytail. Mine looks like a rats nest when I put it up.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

New Episode tonight! (in a few hours East coast)

Tremors

When an investigation goes horribly wrong, Sherlock must testify in an official police inquiry which jeopardizes his and Watson's future with the NYPD.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm enjoying the framing device for this episode so far.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Clyde science :3:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Welp, I guess they're going to England then.

edit: Nevermind

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 6, 2013

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm enjoying the framing device for this episode so far.

I liked it too. And of course the addition of Clyde made it a four star episode.

I don't know how I feel about the relationship between Bell and Holmes being damaged. Bell convinces the Comissioner to keep Holmes and Watson on but doesn't want to see Holmes again. Eh, I guess I understand it, I just don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
This episode just reminded me more than ever that this version of Sherlock Holmes really does suffer (mostly) real consequences for his actions when other iterations have it so that him being above the law ain't no thing. Season One, we definitely had aspects of how being a genius doesn't mean jack poo poo sometimes, but it really hit hard here.

• Locked thread