Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013
The only real health claim they make is that it will "balance" your colon, which means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's some Kay Jewler's ad that makes me laugh for unknown reason.

It features an older african american couple sitting around while they're watching kids (presumably grandchildren) open up gifts.

"KIDS THESE DAYS! EVERY TOY NEEDS A BATTERY".

and then cuts to some african american couple with the husband/fiance/boyfriend giving a gift to his wife/fiance/girlfriend., as the older couple goes :allears:

The delivery of that line is just hilariously stupid. You're spending time with your family during a holiday, and the one thought you have is being a cranky rear end in a top hat about how you hate your drat grand kids.

Also, "Toys needing batteries" has been a thing since..I don't know..THE 70's?

I like the one with the mistletoe salesman that looks like Steve Ballmer.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

ILL ON PZONES posted:

The only real health claim they make is that it will "balance" your colon, which means

You start bringing up probiotics at wildly inappropriate times?

"Wow, you new car sure looks slick, neighbor."
"Almost as slick as my regular morning poo poo, thanks to Trubiotics!"

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm staying with my girlfriend in Michigan for the week to spend Thanksgiving with her family. I always love the ridiculous local commercials I would never get to see otherwise. There's this whole series about gambling addiction that is just hilariously bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS7Wl09HUOQ

Speaking of local commercials, here's a classic from where I currently live in Florida. It's old, he actually injured his eye and is even more amazing with an eyepatch now (he apparently rejected a corneal implant or something...he pops up on the local news with updates on his condition occasionally), but this might be the best one he's ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqeelZtrqyY

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Speaking of local commercials, here's a classic from where I currently live in Florida. It's old, he actually injured his eye and is even more amazing with an eyepatch now (he apparently rejected a corneal implant or something...he pops up on the local news with updates on his condition occasionally), but this might be the best one he's ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqeelZtrqyY

I love this guy because he has a specific market he's aiming at, and is dead on with his message.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hasters posted:

I love this guy because he has a specific market he's aiming at, and is dead on with his message.

Yeah, he's nice and straight with what he's selling.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeJackal posted:

You start bringing up probiotics at wildly inappropriate times?

"Wow, you new car sure looks slick, neighbor."
"Almost as slick as my regular morning poo poo, thanks to Trubiotics!"

I take so many probiotics my morning dump shoots out like a slip and slide.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Does anyone know that commercial I posted about on the last page. It's driving me crazy.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

LeJackal posted:

Activia/TruBiotics/Whateverthefuck probiotic fad product commercials.

Probiotics are micro-organisms that have claimed health benefits when consumed. Probiotics are commonly consumed as part of fermented foods with specially added active live cultures, such as in yogurt, soy yogurt, or as dietary supplements. Studies are examining whether probiotics affect mechanisms of intestinal ailements, however, in all cases proposed as health claims to the European Food Safety Authority, the scientific evidence remains insufficient to prove a cause and effect relationship between consumption of probiotic products and any health benefit.

All these commercials are annoying in the first place because they are shelling snake oil.

They are also annoying because they are so stupid and formula-driven. Every single one of them goes basically like this:
"Look at us attractive people having a party / jogging in a marathon / playing some recreational football / in a yoga class!"
"Oh hi guys, let me tell you about how you can poo poo more regularly and in a more healthy fashion!"
"Uh, we're in the middle of a huddle/class/marathon/having a goddamn party why are you talking about regular poo poo sessions now?"
"Oh you guys, look I magically have a tablet in the middle of this huddle/marathon/yoga class cued to a powerpoint on how this yogurt helps your colon!"
"Just smile and nod, everyone."
"I'm just so excited about making GBS threads on the regular I have to tell everyone!"

It's pretty much a textbook tampon ad applied to something else, which makes it even weirder

"Hey, ladies, this party sure is fun, but shouldn't we be thinking about our... special problem?"
"Is this about poo poo or blood, Martha?"

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Also pardon the double post but I really hate the commercials for work boots where they're just mistakes like a construction truck trapping itself in bollards or a misspelled street painting (keep claer) because the dude filming these with his cell phone has the most grating laugh I've ever heard

Especially because they keep playing them in pairs

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's some Kay Jewler's ad that makes me laugh for unknown reason.

It features an older african american couple sitting around while they're watching kids (presumably grandchildren) open up gifts.

"KIDS THESE DAYS! EVERY TOY NEEDS A BATTERY".

and then cuts to some african american couple with the husband/fiance/boyfriend giving a gift to his wife/fiance/girlfriend., as the older couple goes :allears:

The delivery of that line is just hilariously stupid. You're spending time with your family during a holiday, and the one thought you have is being a cranky rear end in a top hat about how you hate your drat grand kids.

Also, "Toys needing batteries" has been a thing since..I don't know..THE 70's?

There's a slightly longer version that I posted earlier where the line is "KIDS THESE DAYS! IT'S ALL GADGETS AND INTERNETS! EVERYTHING NEEDS A BATTERY!" and then he's really creepily watching the younger couple making out and shouting things at them too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What's the deal with the Edward Norton being kidnapped Verizon commercials?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYEFwA443d0

FOUND IT.

I just want someone to edit this. It reminds me of the old Patton Oswalt bit about Stella D'Oro Breakfast treats for some reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-oxsMl3iCA

Here's the commercial that Oswalt's bit is about.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SpazmasterX posted:

Did someone say christmas commercials? Sounds like it's time for a very touching coffee commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZnqBL6iYjA

11 Works in Folgers "Home for the Holidays" Commercial

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

quote:

Wrapping Paper by Ring_Slinger
Folgers "Home for the Holidays" Commercial
Mature
Choose Not To Use Archive Warnings
F/M, Other
Complete Work
15 Jan 2013
Tags

Author Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings; Brother/SisterJake ( Folgers Commercial) / Meg (Folgers Commercial); Sibling Incest; Christmas

Summary
Jake comes home from West Africa. Megan waits to unwrap her present after dinner.

hahahaha holy poo poo

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Someone crossed it over with Supernatural. Of course they would.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Not on TV, but around this neck of the woods, the butter council of all people have started putting up billboards, telling you to "GO BOLD WITH BUTTER!" and showing like, baked goods and stuff. I don't even know.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Vicas posted:

Also pardon the double post but I really hate the commercials for work boots where they're just mistakes like a construction truck trapping itself in bollards or a misspelled street painting (keep claer) because the dude filming these with his cell phone has the most grating laugh I've ever heard

Especially because they keep playing them in pairs

Yea, you're mercifully leaving out the one with the ceiling fan. Whoever failed to get a ceiling fan to work in such a spectacular fashion as to do the impossible, cannot blame it on not wearing Timberlands.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea, you're mercifully leaving out the one with the ceiling fan. Whoever failed to get a ceiling fan to work in such a spectacular fashion as to do the impossible, cannot blame it on not wearing Timberlands.

That one is the worst one, too. It's literally just this off-camera dude giggling like a loving maniac in a poorly lit, undecorated room. It feels like the kind of thing he'd show off in his murder-dungeon when he brings in his victims

"Can you believe what the IDIOT FUCKERS did here? If only they had worn more comfy boots, am I right?"
*horrible screams*

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Choco1980 posted:

Not on TV, but around this neck of the woods, the butter council of all people have started putting up billboards, telling you to "GO BOLD WITH BUTTER!" and showing like, baked goods and stuff. I don't even know.

In 2012 I saw billboards in TX that showed vegetables covered in ranch dressing and big text "Vegetables? DOUSE THEM IN RANCH!"

It wasn't even for a specific kind, just "ranch". Maybe there's a ranch council?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It took me a minute to realize exactly what this was, and there's no :stare: big enough now that I do.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh my loving god, has anyone else seen that K-MArt "skipping" commercial? I want to hurt everyone involved in that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There appears to be a fad of "I want shiny thing, let me destroy my old thing to get it" ads. e.g.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RtRDjecxk

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Choco1980 posted:

I've never understood the point of similar councils advertising their wares. I mean, "The Dairy Farmers of X Country recommend milk/cheese/whatever as a part of a balanced diet."..... people know about milk and poo poo, you don't need to keep advertising it. Egg Councils are always advertising as well, presumably to let us know about all the new breakthroughs in eggs.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh my loving god, has anyone else seen that K-MArt "skipping" commercial? I want to hurt everyone involved in that.

You mean the 'giffing' commercial? Because everyone involved with that needs to die. Repeatedly. Forever.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

computer parts posted:

There appears to be a fad of "I want shiny thing, let me destroy my old thing to get it" ads. e.g.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RtRDjecxk

What's going on with the guy with the microwave at the end? Is he wearing a dress and pearls over his sweater or am I seeing things??

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

What's going on with the guy with the microwave at the end? Is he wearing a dress and pearls over his sweater or am I seeing things??

I never noticed it before, but, maybe :crossarms:

Pretty progressive of Virgin to have a crossdresser just there without bringing attention to him.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've never understood the point of similar councils advertising their wares. I mean, "The Dairy Farmers of X Country recommend milk/cheese/whatever as a part of a balanced diet."..... people know about milk and poo poo, you don't need to keep advertising it. Egg Councils are always advertising as well, presumably to let us know about all the new breakthroughs in eggs.

There is a great Ray Romano bit about this...or maybe it was Kevin Meany, I'm searching for it. It was definitely in an episode of Dr Katz.

On the subject of bums, why do I have to keep hearing from this pregnant Brit about them? What problem is this toilet paper accessory solving that regular toilet paper isn't sufficient for?

Edited for formatting

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 27, 2013

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They have to remind people that eggs, milk and cheese aren't going to kill people with globs of cholesterol. They really are advertising to counteract the endless health segments on the nightly news that tell us dairy is the one thing that will kill us all.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013
If I were dictator for life, those would be the only commercials allowed. "Buy cars. They get you places a lot faster than walking!" "Try renting an apartment. It's like a little house but cheaper. Here is a coupon for a fish."

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/754E/kmart-giffing-out-on-the-sidewalk

Yeah, that is like some silent hill poo poo going on in those.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bad Mitten posted:

They have to remind people that eggs, milk and cheese aren't going to kill people with globs of cholesterol. They really are advertising to counteract the endless health segments on the nightly news that tell us dairy is the one thing that will kill us all.

Okay, but USPS ads? There isn't a corresponding way to send letters anymore (at a reasonable price, at least), now that the US no longer has any private telegram services.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I have never seen a USPS ad about sending letters. It's always about the different methods you can use to send packages, which is, y'know, useful and a good use of a commercial.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There's a couple of them, one of which has the onlookers referring to the people as "gifing out." :suicide:

Kaizoku posted:

On the subject of bums, why do I have to keep hearing from this pregnant Brit about them? What problem is this toilet paper accessory solving that regular toilet paper isn't sufficient for?

Cottonelle has been trying for the better part of a year now to make a "thing" out of the complex process of wiping your rear end then following up with a baby wipe. I can't imagine what they intend to accomplish other than selling baby wipes to adults.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 27, 2013

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This is one of the most bonechilling toy commercials in the history of humankind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtnESCiZRnw

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

raditts posted:

There's a couple of them, one of which has the onlookers referring to the people as "gifing out." :suicide:

Cottonelle has been trying for the better part of a year now to make a "thing" out of the complex process of wiping your rear end then following up with a baby wipe. I can't imagine what they intend to accomplish other than selling baby wipes to adults.

Destroying the environment, one wet wipe at a time?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

There's a relatively new McDonald's commercial that features two idiots spouting out a bunch of football gibberish comparing these things to how great this McD's deal is. I can't find a copy of it on youtube, but this commercial is driving me insane. It's like 20 seconds of the dumbest poo poo that makes zero sense. It is literally someone smashing together football terms into sentences. "It's like running the I-formation, out of the wishbone!" This has no meaning what so ever, and I have to see this commercial constantly during games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Remember that Geico commercial with the camel that they finally stopped showing?

Well some ad wizard liked it so much that they decided to make their own half-assed knockoff! Enjoy!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXoi1s2q1E

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kaizoku posted:

Okay, but USPS ads? There isn't a corresponding way to send letters anymore (at a reasonable price, at least), now that the US no longer has any private telegram services.

Are you familiar with the Republican party and their "Kill the government" policy.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The JC Penny with everyone singing about how they shouldn't bother to clean up the dishes so they can go shopping immediately after is increasingly getting on my nerves. Almost as much as that goddamn pig who has to show off his car insurance app. Why are you bragging about features I don't ever want to use? Why are you using an insufferable CGI pig? Who the gently caress goes to a football game and then fucks around with his goddamn car insurance app while telling everyone about it instead of watching the goddamned game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Kaizoku posted:

You can send letters via FedEx and UPS, but not many people do...