Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bimmian posted:

Biggest issue with N-able is quite an important one- remote connectivity. They use a third party solution called Direct Connect. Along with the Remote Support Manager, it is fantastic when it works, but its success rate is pretty bad. Bad enough that some of my techs have all but given up using it in favor of vnc or just plain rdp. Those options are also built-in though, and it uses ssh tunnels to allow you to rdp to a pc in another environment without having to vpn or go to a server first.

Man, that's crazy. Every time I start thinking to myself 'man, are continuum's licensing fees for desktops really worth it?' I gotta just remind myself of how lovely the remote desktop has been on every other MSP software I've evaluated. Logmein Pro is nice.

(I sort of wish Logmein would just do their own MSP offering already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Bimmian, thanks for the info! When you made the switch what was the migration like? Was there a lot of manual input? Does AT have good tools for sucking company info out of CW?

How was it received by your staff? Everyone happier now or about the same?

If CW only evolved a tiny bit I'd probably be happy. The fact it's the same drat product with the same glaring issues means I don't want to lock myself into it any longer or deepen our relationship via labtech.

AT's API and integration into things like Freshbooks shows they are moving forward. I like that.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
To clarify, I used CW at my previous job, so I didn't do a migration, just a fresh AT install. That being said, AT does handle importing accounts/contacts really well using a custom spreadsheet you download from the import page. It includes all the fields, as well as user defined fields, so it updates the spreadsheet whenever you make changes to those. My install engineer basically said "If you can put it to csv, we can import it". Some more advanced importing features can only be done as a service from autotask though. The only real manual input was products and services, since we didn't have a properly defined, standardized list.

There hasn't been much change around here in quite some time, most were content with the status quo. I faced a lot of resistance at first, but people are warming up to it now that it is in use, as would be expected. I've no doubt that within a couple months, once I get all the features going and dig farther into the automation aspects, everyone will love it.

Autotask does seem more open and willing to accommodate unique situations. Obviously the API is a big thing, especially for us. Prior to this, every system in the company was custom built, the platform having evolved over the past decade and not quite suited for the services we offer today. Being able to integrate with some of those on some level was a necessity for us. They have lots of third-party partners that will help with custom integrations as well.

I'm really wondering what CW has planned, because they're falling pretty far behind. Making CW web-based would be a huge undertaking and would basically require a full re-design. Luckily for them I suppose, there aren't any real competitors (that I'm aware of) that could really steal any significant market share from them. Tigerpaw isn't there quite yet, but it is gaining ground.

Nerdface Killah
Jan 9, 2009
In other news N-Able just got bought out by Star Winds. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. N-Able is on the way other spectrum, price wise, for RMM offerings. I think they quoted me something like $10k to start out. I've heard nothing but good things though.

Nerdface Killah
Jan 9, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I used OneNote to good effect in the 2007 / 2010 versions, but the 2013 version completely sucks layout wise. Switched to evernote. Just my 2 cents. All client files (documents, scripts, contracts, invoices etc) are on a SBS server with redirected folders and a VPN. Box would work equally well.

I'm sure there are probably CRMs out there that do a better job organizationally, but I haven't found them yet.

We are also using Evernote shared amongst about 5 employees total for our MSP.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Nerdface Killah posted:

In other news N-Able just got bought out by Star Winds. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. N-Able is on the way other spectrum, price wise, for RMM offerings. I think they quoted me something like $10k to start out. I've heard nothing but good things though.

You can negotiate those down quite a bit, though now that they're ditching the perpetual model, I'm not sure.

I talked with my rep a few times about it last night when I heard about it, and while I was a bit nervous before, I think it has huge potential and I'm looking forward to solar winds dump resources into them.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
AVG buys LevelPlatforms: http://mspmentor.net/acquisitions/avg-buys-level-platforms-rob-raes-key-role

As mentioned, Solarwinds bought N-Able a few weeks ago.

Who's next? Kaseya? Continuum, might be as they were brought back from the dead by an investment group who likely wants a return on their investment.

I think this makes Labtech look better because they are part of ConnectWise. They are 100% committed to MSP.

ofwolfandan
Aug 13, 2004

FACE THE PIE THAT SHOULD NOT BE
I have used Labtech in the past and I liked it. I haven't used the new Ignite feature so I'm not sure how that's working out. It integrates well with Connectwise, and Shadowprotect which is something that I really like. I just started at my 2nd MSP and am in the process of building out a Labtech server for them at this moment.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Stugazi posted:

On the bad side CW hasn't evolved a single bit in 5 loving years it's embarrassing. The helpdesk, which is arguably the most frequently used feature, is poo poo.

I refuse to ever use Connectwise again, going so far as to never work at a company that uses Connectwise. If I ask in the interview that they use CW, I politely decline the position. I absolutely despise it.

Hell, a year ago I had to post a security fix for it because the programmers allowed ANONYMOUS authentication into the /document/ folders. It's pathetic. I contacted CW multiple times and never received a response. Then a few months later somebody more internet famous than I found it, blogged about it and they patched it.

Anyway- glad to see this thread is somewhat alive. I'm actually considering starting my own MSP nowadays- or at least some sort of consulting gig.

I'm interested in focusing on the application developer niche. A lot of small shops running Mercurial/Git/Subversion/TeamCity/Puppet/Chef, basically groups that need competent DevOps guys. They wind up being very small shops (5-25 people) but have pretty complex needs that aren't your run of the mill Exchange/AD stuff. Mostly EC2/RAX Cloud, Rightscale, SmartOS, etc.

Anybody around Austin interested in the same boat? I left my last engineering position to develop some Openstack utilities so I've got time to drum up things.

vty fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 17, 2013

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I'd love to hear from anyone who went from CW to Autotask or vice versa. I would love to get off CW but I just can't get enough info on Autotask to pull that trigger.

We didn't choose Labtech because they are a part of CW and CW is so disappointing.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I personally love Labtech and really want to go back to it.

Labtech and Kayako, are probably my two favorite products I have come across.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
The past 4 months I've been on Autotask, CW for 3 years prior at my previous job. I've been wanting to write something up comparing/contrasting, more so now that I've used it a bit. Too busy at the moment, but I'll write it up later tonight or tomorrow.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Give us the 20 word summary. I'm dying to know what you think.

EDIT: We also use Quotewerks and were due for a renewal. QW told us the new version would fix a sync issue we had with CW. We upgraded. Now QW doesnt' work at all. We were told it's because of our version of CW. We are on the hosted version. Called CW who told us we are a few versions behind (WTF). We are now in queue to upgrade. We bitched up a storm, so much so that it was escalated to the owner Arnie. One of their people accidentally forwarded the email back to us where Arnie was quoted as saying something along the lines of "if they leave, so be it". gently caress CW.

Stugazi fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 18, 2013

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Background-
I used connectwise for ~3 years, ending July of 2012. I had a minor role in setup and configuration.
With Autotask, I handled it top to bottom. All the research, testing, working with AT reps/support, purchase, design and ~ 95% of the configuration. We purchased it the last day of February. I did entertain CW as well, but that didn't last too long when I saw that they hadn't really changed at all.

** I tried to be brief but that didn’t go so well, I did leave out a lot though. Feel free to ask more pointed questions, I can also post screenshots of certain parts if you'd like. It should be noted that we are not a typical MSP and our needs are most likely way more specific than most. We're primarily a data center, but are also an ISP, provide managed networking/servers/desktops, provide colo / dedicated servers, hosted VMs... and more, several of which have completely custom built systems to support them.

If I could summarize my thoughts, I'd say that while the grass is greener on the AT side, it isn't without its faults, not by a long shot. Personally, because of my dislike of CW, both as a PSA solution and with the company as a whole, I put AT on a pedestal and had really high expectations for it. Though the majority of points I make below are negative, it is still a good product overall relative to the other PSA solutions out there.

CWs faults are pretty obvious. Slow and clunky desktop application, the joke that is the web portal, cumbersome setup, mostly terrible customer service / tech support, too much downtime... etc. They're behind the times and need to completely re-invent the product. The sales process is awful, as is the pricing. I mean, they still charge $10/user/month for the mobile client...

The Autotask sales process was fantastic. I had a wonderful rep who did everything she could to help evaluate the product and answer questions. The tech support is also quite good, though I did get my first canned response the other day. I contacted my dedicated support contact and he took care of the issue in a few minutes, as he normally does. They're very responsive, I'll usually get a call or email response to any tickets I open within an hour or two. Overall, I can't say anything bad about the company and customer service overall. Setup/configuration is much more intuitive than CW, but they have some odd terminology that throws things off a bit.

That being said, the software itself has issues, some glaring. Honestly, I think it is in a very similar state as CW- the platform is showing its age. It’s primary advantage over CW is that it is web-based and just feels better to use in most areas.

The web interface is nice overall. Usability-wise, it can be confusing and cluttered at points, downright awkward at others, with enough inconsistency at be frustrating at times. It is now (98%) browser independent, which is nice. The interface is downright snappy compared to CW, but does have some noticeable lag loading some types of pages. The browser settings are very specific and very important as it relies heavily on popups, which can cause issues with people working from home. Our browser settings GPO is now centered around AT.

There are some critical areas that really need attention, the service desk being one of them. Compared to newer service desk / ticketing products, it isn’t quick or easy. Creating a new ticket suffers from the same issues as does CW – too many drat fields to fill out. It does at least have “favorites”, which are essentially templates that auto-fill ticket fields, but the base problem remains. It really needs to be streamlined, but right now they are going in the opposite direction.

There are a lot of things that require too many clicks or have unnecessary popups to select data. This problem exists in every part of the program.

The workflow functionality is (mostly) great, but only for certain modules. The variables that you can use are limited and somewhat inconsistent, and it could use more logic. I’ve had more than a few workflows that I couldn’t implement, others that ended up as a half-solution. The service desk part is the most capable and recently got a bit of an upgrade.

The projects module is a little disappointing depending on what types of projects you do. The latest release included a major update to the interface, making it incredibly easier to actually use, but still a bit slow. One of the primary purposes I was going to use the project feature for is our sales workflow. The idea being that sales creates “Opportunities” for sales, then create quotes inside those opportunities, and when they win that opportunity, it kicks off a project template to go through the entire sales -> build/implementation -> billing process. Most of these are not projects in the traditional sense. It is more of a task list with specific steps laid out to ensure that when a task is ready for x to start, y and z have already done their part and provided the information required for x to do his job. It is not designed to do that, at least not cleanly. To give you an idea, one annoying thing is that the minimum duration for any task is 1 day. If I have 5 tasks that may only take 15 minutes each, but each is dependent on the one before it, then the project duration is at minimum 5 days. Considering the implementation is a 1-2 day task in most cases, I can't apply any workflow rules based on dates.

That brings us to the sales/CRM. Again, cumbersome. You can’t create a quote without an opportunity. An opportunity can only have one quote. Creating either isn’t the most fluid of processes. To have a project kick off automatically after a sale, you need to first create a proposal project that is attached to the quote (not the opportunity). That is a lot of effort for a sales person when they are trying to get a quote out asap.

Security is a complete joke. I honestly don’t know how any company that actually requires specific, defined permissions uses it. There are a handful of pre-configured security levels with a few granular options within. To give you an idea, to give my billing people the ability to add products and services, setup invoicing and billing options- ie, to do their job – they need to be made full-blown system administrators.

I could probably write all day about the annoyances, most of which are just general usability. There are often just too many options, too many ways to do the same thing, too many steps to do simple things, options/settings that should be there but aren’t (in some cases they are present here, but not there).

Knowing what I know now, and considering the lack of internal cooperation I ran into (gogo status quo), I would have gone another direction. Perhaps dedicated apps that play well together and have a full open API. Is it better than CW? Yes. If your needs are right in line with a standard MSP, it is likely better than mashing a bunch of disparate apps together to try to attain the same functionality (unless you have a full-time developer). To me, as an educated guess, the majority of the problems appear to come from an aging back-end that is getting more and more difficult to update and integrate new features. You’ll see the same sentiment expressed in the user forums. That worries me because it normally results in a steady decline in quality and performance.

There is a big opportunity for a well-designed, easy to use, attractive PSA solution to disrupt the market, but I’m not sure if there is anything out there just yet.

e: you also can't send attachments from within a ticket

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I'm testing Freshdesk and Zendesk right now and I'm blown away that NEITHER of them make any sort of ajax calls to display new tickets going in/out of a queue.

You have to refresh the page on both systems.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
That's surprising, I thought Zendesk was supposed to be the UI / usability king.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

vty posted:

I'm testing Freshdesk and Zendesk right now and I'm blown away that NEITHER of them make any sort of ajax calls to display new tickets going in/out of a queue.

You have to refresh the page on both systems.

I noticed this too, but it didn't really register to me. I updated a test ticket via e-mail, and was like hummmmm wtf, I have one browser window open where it clearly shows a ticket has been updated, but over here in this other browser window it still says 0 open tickets. so I hit refresh and was like 'oh', and didn't think much more of it.

but yeah in a serious production environment, that is pretty unforgivable.

still, zendesk seems pretty spiffy on all its levels, and I like that their base plan allows you to have 3 agents. now if only I could train my clients to open tickets rather than just e-mail me....

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
My new MSP.. not fully fleshed out. Let me know your thoughts. I'm targeting a pretty specific niche based on my background (devops engineer, architect).

http://www.silo37.com

Now to work on the part that I know absolutely nothing about- business and marketing.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Hate to necromance this thread but I don't see a backup thread and we're evaluating cloud backup providers which target the MSP environment.

We have some clients on https://dattobackup.com It's OK but not great.

Does anyone have experience with https://asigra.com or https://axcient.com ?

Asigra has a "recovery billing" method where they bill for recoveries versus backups. That sounds great on paper. Looking for some peer feedback before I start talking to these companies.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I work for a medium sized MSP that's growing pretty rapidly. We're using N-Able for most of our management (it scales pretty well, and their support tends to be absolutely on the ball), reselling Fortinet gear for networking and reselling VaultLogix for backup. I'm open to answering any questions anyone might have on these.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Stugazi posted:

Hate to necromance this thread but I don't see a backup thread and we're evaluating cloud backup providers which target the MSP environment.

We have some clients on https://dattobackup.com It's OK but not great.

Does anyone have experience with https://asigra.com or https://axcient.com ?

Asigra has a "recovery billing" method where they bill for recoveries versus backups. That sounds great on paper. Looking for some peer feedback before I start talking to these companies.

Are you looking to store data in the cloud or utilize your own (or both)?

Asigra is a great product, it fits several MSP models very well. My company was > < that close to buying it, but they would not honor the pricing they offered us in the sales process. Twice. Even still, if the CEO would be open to buying the product now(he isn't), I'd buy it in a heartbeat. After demoing a bunch of other options, we ended up with AppAssure and it is a nightmare in an MSP environment. Asigra was the only product we found that could fit into every situation we needed it to.

I get a call/email from a datto rep a couple times a month, never tried it or axcient though.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

mindphlux posted:

I noticed this too, but it didn't really register to me. I updated a test ticket via e-mail, and was like hummmmm wtf, I have one browser window open where it clearly shows a ticket has been updated, but over here in this other browser window it still says 0 open tickets. so I hit refresh and was like 'oh', and didn't think much more of it.

but yeah in a serious production environment, that is pretty unforgivable.

still, zendesk seems pretty spiffy on all its levels, and I like that their base plan allows you to have 3 agents. now if only I could train my clients to open tickets rather than just e-mail me....

Hey mindphlux, check your PM inbox (it's full!); I have something I want to run by you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Silly Newbie posted:

I work for a medium sized MSP that's growing pretty rapidly. We're using N-Able for most of our management (it scales pretty well, and their support tends to be absolutely on the ball), reselling Fortinet gear for networking and reselling VaultLogix for backup. I'm open to answering any questions anyone might have on these.

Just how bad is the average markup on Fortinet gear

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
GFI MAXMail is a great product and widely used in our MSP, the rest of it... not so much.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

go3 posted:

Just how bad is the average markup on Fortinet gear

Honestly, it's not bad. Most of the cost (and value) of fortinet stuff comes from their support contracts and ongoing services. We prefer to lease the gear to companies, rather than sell it outright, and that's part of the reason.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

bimmian posted:

Are you looking to store data in the cloud or utilize your own (or both)?

Asigra is a great product, it fits several MSP models very well. My company was > < that close to buying it, but they would not honor the pricing they offered us in the sales process. Twice. Even still, if the CEO would be open to buying the product now(he isn't), I'd buy it in a heartbeat. After demoing a bunch of other options, we ended up with AppAssure and it is a nightmare in an MSP environment. Asigra was the only product we found that could fit into every situation we needed it to.

I get a call/email from a datto rep a couple times a month, never tried it or axcient though.

Asigra recently changed their model to a restore based scheme. I have not talked dollars with them yet. Was their pricing obscene?

Are their backups imaged based? I am concerned about using such a proprietary backup engine.

Ideally we can offer disaster recovery off site plus the backup option

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Hey mindphlux, check your PM inbox (it's full!); I have something I want to run by you.

sorry, I deleted several pms, it should be open now

Stugazi posted:

naw, don't feel bad. honestly MSP software is not really a "hot topic" or anything, so probably a bump every couple months is about right.

I'm really fed up with continuum's (internal) billing system. it's completely separate from their MSP product, and straight out of like 1995 or something. I spent well over an hour just trying to give them some of my money electronically last month before I gave up and mailed them a check at their request. then they e-mailed like 3 days later and said they had successfully charged my VISA..... but..... you guys just told me to mail you a check.

fffffffffffffffff

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 18, 2013

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just got the CEO to signoff on making the switch to Labtech from Continuum and now I'm a wee bit nervous as it's my move.

The company started their MS service 2.5 years ago and started with Continuum up until this day. The problem with it is two fold. 1. It's too rigid 2. It's too expensive.

I've been testing Labtech for about 6 weeks and I'm fairly comfortable with it. I am a little nervous about patching as it's pretty easy and safe on a superficial level in Continuum. We have clients that like and see value in using Continuum's auto deploy patch window with whitelist patching. I think it just let's you be lazy with patching but I'm a little leery going up against a culture that likes that laziness.

Plus I'm not sure the staff will enjoy the step down from Logmein to VNC. But honestly, the cost savings are so big I might buy them some teamviewer licenses or something if we really need it.

ElvisG
Aug 18, 2004
Labtech will be your full-time job. My advice is to shut-off every censer and enable them one at a time from the start. The MSP I did work at left Labtech and went to Level Platforms and haven't looked back. Labtech has a lot of potential but the need to maintain it and all the false-positives it gives is just to much.

Also, don't waste any money for their "training", it's a joke. The only training worth anything is the scripting class.

ElvisG
Aug 18, 2004
I'm curious as to what everyone setup is? The MSP I worked at was mainly a citrix environment. We had companies that were on terminal server and just refused to move over to citrix. We also provided just backup /

Tickets = Connectwise
Monitor = Labtech then Level Platforms
Remote = Bomgar
Anti-virus = Vipre
Malware = D7 "all-in-software" because Vipre was crap
"we made so much money with D7 it was crazy. The software cost $200 and we made at least a grand a month extra for on-site visits with viruses."
Backups = AppAssure "we had a little nas unit on-site" where we pointed the backups
Router = Meraki VPN back to our datacenter
AP = Meraki

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ElvisG posted:

I'm curious as to what everyone setup is? The MSP I worked at was mainly a citrix environment. We had companies that were on terminal server and just refused to move over to citrix. We also provided just backup /

Tickets = Connectwise
Monitor = Labtech then Level Platforms
Remote = Bomgar
Anti-virus = Vipre
Malware = D7 "all-in-software" because Vipre was crap
"we made so much money with D7 it was crazy. The software cost $200 and we made at least a grand a month extra for on-site visits with viruses."
Backups = AppAssure "we had a little nas unit on-site" where we pointed the backups
Router = Meraki VPN back to our datacenter
AP = Meraki

am I reading this to see that you used software just to convince people to pay for antivirus removals that probably weren't technically necessary?

am I being too honest a guy here or something? if I find a virus during routine scans, I include it with my invoices on my monthly "work done" report - but otherwise, I just let stuff go until a customer complains. If they complain, I try to resolve remotely. If I can't, *then* I go onsite and charge extra.

my setup is :

Tickets : E-mail / Zendesk
Monitor : Continuum
Time Tracking/Invoicing : Harvest
Accounting : Quickbooks
Remote : Logmein via Continuum, Teamviewer for one-offs
A/V : Vipre/Malwarebytes via Continuum
Backups/Router/AP : left to client - I'll make recommendations and charge for our time with advice and setup - IE if it's a NAS or whatever, but I don't technically make money off reselling backup or equipment. Again, am I being too nice here?

Thanks guys for bumping the thread, I've been wanting to hear more from other guys at MSP shops. I'm almost done with my rebranding efforts, and about to set new price points for my monthly service plans, so I really am interested in other people's business models. I might even post my new service plan pricing sheet in here, since I'm debating making it public on my website anyways. (anyone have thoughts about that?)

ElvisG
Aug 18, 2004

mindphlux posted:

am I reading this to see that you used software just to convince people to pay for antivirus removals that probably weren't technically necessary?

am I being too honest a guy here or something? if I find a virus during routine scans, I include it with my invoices on my monthly "work done" report - but otherwise, I just let stuff go until a customer complains. If they complain, I try to resolve remotely. If I can't, *then* I go onsite and charge extra.

Sorry, I should have elaborated more. The virus removals were from out-of-contract / people who call or just walked in and say they have a virus. The MSP I worked at only dealt with small to medium size companies that we had a contract with. If you didn't have a contract with us then we didn't help because our contracts included unlimited IT support during regular working hours. We found the D7 software only because we had so many people call / walk-in with virus issues but didn't have a quick solution for. Some months we made a grand a week just from virus removals.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

mindphlux posted:

my setup is :

Tickets : E-mail / Zendesk
Monitor : Continuum
Time Tracking/Invoicing : Harvest
Accounting : Quickbooks
Remote : Logmein via Continuum, Teamviewer for one-offs
A/V : Vipre/Malwarebytes via Continuum
Backups/Router/AP : left to client - I'll make recommendations and charge for our time with advice and setup - IE if it's a NAS or whatever, but I don't technically make money off reselling backup or equipment. Again, am I being too nice here?

You gotta dump quickbooks. Freshbooks is ideal for MSP work. Recurring invoices FTW.

What do you think of Continuum? I am starting to think it sucks rear end.

Would love to hear opinions on N-Able. We almost went that route then solarwinds bought them so we backed off. They were a complete clusterfuck when Solarwinds bought them. No one there had a clue what was going on and couldn't tell us poo poo. Unfortunately that was also the time we were looking at RMM.

Regarding backsup/router/AP always have a recommendation for every basic technical need. If you don't and let the client choose they will choose the cheapest poo poo possible and you will end up supporting it for free (as an MSP). If they ignore your recommendation note that is not in scope and you will bill for time worked. Seriously, you need to control the environment in a flat rate business model or your life will be hell. At a moment's notice you need to be able to explain what the client won't get when they don't choose your preferred solution. (your preferred solution should be solid and not suck)

That said, what are people using for traveling laptop backups? Backblaze? Need a centrally managed and billed console.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Stugazi posted:

You gotta dump quickbooks. Freshbooks is ideal for MSP work. Recurring invoices FTW.

Would love to hear opinions on N-Able. We almost went that route then solarwinds bought them so we backed off. They were a complete clusterfuck when Solarwinds bought them. No one there had a clue what was going on and couldn't tell us poo poo. Unfortunately that was also the time we were looking at RMM.

Regarding backsup/router/AP always have a recommendation for every basic technical need. If you don't and let the client choose they will choose the cheapest poo poo possible and you will end up supporting it for free (as an MSP). If they ignore your recommendation note that is not in scope and you will bill for time worked. Seriously, you need to control the environment in a flat rate business model or your life will be hell. At a moment's notice you need to be able to explain what the client won't get when they don't choose your preferred solution. (your preferred solution should be solid and not suck)

That said, what are people using for traveling laptop backups? Backblaze? Need a centrally managed and billed console.

We've been using n-able since March or so. Overall it is quite good, but I haven't used many of the other big name RMMs. I still don't know what is going on with the acquisition, not a single word from my rep or elsewhere. It has the potential to be a good mix (dameware please) so long as none of solarwinds ridiculous licensing structures/costs come into play. Apparently solarwinds is committed to staying "hands off" the n-able product, but yea, it is still very uncertain.

Tickets: Autotask
RMM: N-able (+ small nagios implementation)
Accounting: QB
AV: Trend or Bit Defender(N-able)
Backups: AppAssure, Crashplan

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Stugazi posted:

Quickbooks isn't a huge problem. I do all my time tracking and invoicing through Harvest, and it handles recurring invoices, has a web-payment module (I use stripe), generates pdf invoices, can auto send them, it's great. The only thing Harvest doesn't do is sync my invoices with Quickbooks - so I basically use Harvest as my A/R, and then have to manually double enter/categorize payments when they come in. It takes me maybe 2 hours a month, which is a pain, but not the end of the world. I keep on giving feedback to Harvest that I'd love an invoice sync feature between QB and their platform, in which case all problems would be solved.

I think Continuum is a sack of poo poo, and doesn't really do much for me "proactive" wise (which is how I sell my clients on my services). The Vipre AV is functional though, the NOC does call when servers go down and try to remediate, and I do get logmein pro for all the machines I have on it.

In any case, the $4/mo per workstation over the $2/mo I was paying for GFI (which literally actually did gently caress all, and didn't have logmein) is worth it I guess. I swear though, if logmein ever ups their game and comes out with a cost effective MSP offering (which they seem to be moving towards), I will adopt so fast...

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
LMI is 50% of the reason we use continuum too, the calling alerts are the other 50%. It isn't cheap though, I think we pay $12 per server. Their update system also needs work, not being able to schedule windows updates for a particular window makes it useless to us, random installs on the last 2 weekends of the month isn't good enough. Labtech keeps calling but connctwise owns them and I'm concerned they might start to leak over to the labtech side.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 4, 2013

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Labtech is off the table for us. ConnectWise is a mess and antiquated. No meaninful development on that platform in years. I think the Labtech acquisition is sucking up their resources.

I know a lot of our local competition is on Continuum now. It amazes me that Continuum is lacking in so many areas yet seem to be killing it in the RMM space. That's a good indication of the missed opportunities by NAble, Kaseya et al. If the competition had decent packaging and communication they could kill Continuum head to head. Instead they are mismanaged and/or priced like they poo poo gold so Continuum wins by being the least insane choice.

We gave Kaseya every opporutnity to play ball. They'd rather suck their partners dry through high fees than be reasonable and win a new client (actually, a returning client, we'd already paid Kaseya ~50k in fees years ago).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Stugazi posted:

Labtech is off the table for us. ConnectWise is a mess and antiquated. No meaninful development on that platform in years. I think the Labtech acquisition is sucking up their resources.

I know a lot of our local competition is on Continuum now. It amazes me that Continuum is lacking in so many areas yet seem to be killing it in the RMM space. That's a good indication of the missed opportunities by NAble, Kaseya et al. If the competition had decent packaging and communication they could kill Continuum head to head. Instead they are mismanaged and/or priced like they poo poo gold so Continuum wins by being the least insane choice.

We gave Kaseya every opporutnity to play ball. They'd rather suck their partners dry through high fees than be reasonable and win a new client (actually, a returning client, we'd already paid Kaseya ~50k in fees years ago).

Kinda sounds like it's mirroring the MSP space as a whole then :v:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Stugazi posted:

gently caress Kaseya, I work with that PoS product daily. It might be that it is because we have the "cloud edition" but holy poo poo does it like to crash your browser.

I really liked labtech has it gone to poo poo affter connectwise bought it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Whenever Kaseya did it's big upgrade a few years back it kinda went to poo poo but holy gently caress do I miss it's power and real time scripting.

• Locked thread