Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Those are exactly the kinds of effect I was looking for. The bottom one is a bit out of my league but I think I get the process behind the first one. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

ijyt posted:

Those are exactly the kinds of effect I was looking for. The bottom one is a bit out of my league but I think I get the process behind the first one. Thanks!

That bottom one looks arguably easier than the other, I think it would be easily replicable using thin lines of a dark glaze over a pattern painted up and highlighted as normal. Use something like the army painter shades, they work great once they've been on the pallet a while and thickened up.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Haley's, though impressive, just ends up looking like a really crappy quality knitted cloak, because the threads are as wide as a finger :/

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 26, 2013

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

HardCoil posted:

Haley's, though impressive, just ends up looking like a really crappy quality knitted cloak, because the threads are as wide as a finger :/

It's not always about correct scale as long as it fools the viewer's brain into accepting it as the material. If you look at the majority of "realistic" wood-grain effects you'll notice the grain is considerably too large. Still looks nice if done well & usually looks much better than anything exactly to scale (and possibly too small to see without a magnifier)

This is not meant as an attempt to change your opinion; just an explanation about why it's like that.

Some painters do get it smaller though. I'll see if I can find the one I'm thinking of. It might not be as small of a weave as I'm thinking though.

E: Found it, but you can only see the pattern on the monk, but not the texture that is also painted on it:

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/schubert/sku-up/02533#detail/IG_1536_1

MisterG fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 26, 2013

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

No, I kind of agree, it does look awesome, you just shouldn't think about it too much. It's the same thing with camo, you also have to paint that way off scale for it to work.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Finally caught up on the thread! Space Invader has sent me his kaladrax from the bones kick starter to paint up - very excited to get that.

I can't find many good examples of big 'bone' miniatures though for inspiration. The material, not the reaper models. Any of you wonderfully nerdy people have some links to fantastically painted bone giants and monsters? I can't even find good artwork, let alone miniatures.

Also I'll be going to warhammer world on the 15th so will wander over and say hi if the goon group doesn't look too scary and/or grognardy!

Finally: Richyp if you want you can pull any of the info from my blog for your new aggregate thing. I assembled lots of good blog links, shops, walkthroughs etc on it and wrote some articles myself. I might write some more - I always want to do my own blog but don't really have the time or drive to do consistent updates a couple of times a week.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hubis posted:

Pro-Tip: Don't lick your brushes.
Why's that? Paint is delicious and it keeps the points on my brushes.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Lethemonster posted:

Finally: Richyp if you want you can pull any of the info from my blog for your new aggregate thing. I assembled lots of good blog links, shops, walkthroughs etc on it and wrote some articles myself. I might write some more - I always want to do my own blog but don't really have the time or drive to do consistent updates a couple of times a week.

What is the blog again, anyway? I can't find a link in the last few pages.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

richyp posted:

After dropping the family off at the airport for a week to visit their US relatives, I got back home slightly bored and decided to play with some ideas for a Wave Serpent using the same colour palette used on the rest of my Eldar. There are no highlights on this model yet so ignore the grey area completely (it might not even stay grey yet)

Too OTT/not OTT enough:

I'm guessing you're trying to go for scales here, but it looks more like a mesh to me. I think it looks kinda cool, but maybe not what you're going for.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Hubis posted:

Pro-Tip: Don't lick your brushes.

I was once told all the pros lick their brushes, and that it explains why they're all a little bit crazy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bucnasti posted:

I was once told all the pros lick their brushes, and that it explains why they're all a little bit crazy.
When I get spillover onto a part of the model, my hands are full, and there's literally no way to get the errant paint off in time, I will occasionally lick the paint off. There's my shameful painter's confession.

And don't worry, I varnish my models afterwards. There's at least one layer of matte and gloss varnish keeping your fingers from my gross ham germs.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Bucnasti posted:

Acrylics are tasty, washes not so much. At least beer helps get rid of the taste of nuln oil.

SirJoeKCB posted:

I'm guessing you're trying to go for scales here, but it looks more like a mesh to me. I think it looks kinda cool, but maybe not what you're going for.

It' a bit of both, I didn't really know what I was going to paint on it, so I slapped on some wobbly lines and took it from there. I was going to stick some netting on it and spray paint over it but couldn't be bothered to wait for the paint to dry so tried painting a net, then decided to turn it into scales.

Lethemonster posted:

What's the URL/RSS? Also see you at WHW, I'll be in the bar.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Toot toot!

http://lethemonster.blogspot.co.uk/

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Under 15 posted:

What is the blog again, anyway? I can't find a link in the last few pages.

If you mean the goon-aggregation blog that richyp is running, it is: http://www.wargameblogs.com/

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Got working on my Chapter Master over the past two weeks and getting close to being done with him. I really love this model and have been enjoying every minute painting it up, there is detail on every little part.

poo poo cellphone picture screws up quite a bit like the gold tone and more highlights, but it does a decent enough job to show progress.

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972
That's absolutely beautiful dude, where is that model from?

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Looks like one of Scibor's.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Yup, Scibor. Their character models are super rad.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
I actually just assembled their Snowman Slayer last weekend, hope to paint it before Christmas.

More Mierce! Urbad, kind of a goofy looking ogre sized dude.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Almost disappointed you didn't pose it like this.

Still looks amazingly rad though.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
Gaming table is coming along nicely - but REALLY needs some more painting!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I just had the Bones Kaladrax arrive in the mail to paint and now I'm kicking myself for not getting in on that first Bones Kickstarter.

And scrabbling round the internet trying to find loads of Bones models being sold at decent prices in the uk!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lethemonster posted:

I just had the Bones Kaladrax arrive in the mail to paint and now I'm kicking myself for not getting in on that first Bones Kickstarter.

And scrabbling round the internet trying to find loads of Bones models being sold at decent prices in the uk!
The wife's unemployment is ending, so I'm going to be hard up for cash very soon and I'm seriously considering selling much of my basic Vampire set off - I live in the US though, so shipping will likely be a bear. If you're interested, let me know at portablezombie at gmail.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lethemonster posted:

I'm happy to talk about selling off a few of mine, I'll probably never paint them all. I'll have a gander at the sets and see what I could part with if you want.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
What's the deal with airbrushing washes? I gather that it's good for avoiding pooling, as well as much quicker obviously, but do I have to do anything in particular to prepare the wash?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

berzerkmonkey posted:

The wife's unemployment is ending, so I'm going to be hard up for cash very soon and I'm seriously considering selling much of my basic Vampire set off - I live in the US though, so shipping will likely be a bear. If you're interested, let me know at portablezombie at gmail.

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm happy to talk about selling off a few of mine, I'll probably never paint them all. I'll have a gander at the sets and see what I could part with if you want.

I'm interested in any skeletons/mummies/egyptian undead.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

ineptmule posted:

What's the deal with airbrushing washes? I gather that it's good for avoiding pooling, as well as much quicker obviously, but do I have to do anything in particular to prepare the wash?

I have no clue why you would. Serious blank spot here.

I'd imagine they'd do it because it's easier to apply washes to the entire model for assembly-line painting and you won't have to worry about missing a spot, but washes are best done for quality purposes in particular spots.

And I doubt you'd have to do anything for pre-prepared washes. They're already translucent, already thin, already flow properly.

And heck, you can't over-apply them like regular acrylics so they're basically fool-proof.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Lethemonster posted:

Depending on what kind of prices you're looking for, it might be worth checking out Miniature Heroes - they have a lot of Bones models in stock.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Oh my god painting without priming is the worst feeling ever.

I mean, I'm sure I'll get used to it and it'll be a great time saver but huurrrgghhh. :catstare:

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone have suggestions for painting in a small apartment? I'd like to do some painting but I'm worried I wont be able to air out the apartment enough.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Caddrel posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for painting in a small apartment? I'd like to do some painting but I'm worried I wont be able to air out the apartment enough.

Airbrush or just traditional brush and pot painting?

I have a tiny apartment and do traditional painting without any problems. Acrylic paints don't have fumes, I keep a fan on when working with things like plastic cement or acetone thinned putties.
I spray prime stuff on my patio in a cardboard box to prevent over spray and that's about it.

For airbrushing, it's probably cheaper to get a bigger place then to buy the equipment needed to safely work in a small apartment

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Caddrel posted:

If you're not airbrushing you don't need to vent anything. If you are, make or buy a spray booth.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

krushgroove posted:

If you're not airbrushing you don't need to vent anything. If you are, make or buy a spray booth.

Note that spray booth may equal cardboard box + box fan + furnace filter.

edit: I don't even have a fan or filter on mine, but it needs one for when I spray metallic paints and primer.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

richyp posted:

After dropping the family off at the airport for a week to visit their US relatives, I got back home slightly bored and decided to play with some ideas for a Wave Serpent using the same colour palette used on the rest of my Eldar. There are no highlights on this model yet so ignore the grey area completely (it might not even stay grey yet)

Too OTT/not OTT enough:

It looks like mesh and it looks drat awesome. Well done. I love the white, grey and teal.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Jonny Nox posted:

Note that spray booth may equal cardboard box + box fan + furnace filter.

edit: I don't even have a fan or filter on mine, but it needs one for when I spray metallic paints and primer.

Yes, definitely. If only box fans were even available in the UK. It would make things much simpler for me!

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Caddrel posted:

This was my plan until I got a house:

For airbrushing

Artograph spray booth (or home-made equivalent; be sure to research safety issues of home-made booths)
Laundry/Dryer vent
Laundry vent flexible tubing
Piece of plywood for window

The plywood gets sized to fit in an open/cracked window
The Laundry/Dryer vent attached to the wood
The Spray booth is attached to the Laundry vent via the flexible tubing.

Each time you use the booth, place the wood with vent in the window, seal it/close the window on it until it's secure (perhaps use a properly sized dowel to ensure the window stays firmly clamped on the wood.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Vulich the Subtle posted:

I have no clue why you would. Serious blank spot here.

I'd imagine they'd do it because it's easier to apply washes to the entire model for assembly-line painting and you won't have to worry about missing a spot, but washes are best done for quality purposes in particular spots.

And I doubt you'd have to do anything for pre-prepared washes. They're already translucent, already thin, already flow properly.

And heck, you can't over-apply them like regular acrylics so they're basically fool-proof.

I airbrushed wash onto my Space Wolf tanks because the basecoat of my infantry was done with grey and a wash of blue. Getting the exact shade of blue would be a nightmare if I tired to mix paints for the right shade, and also inconsistent.

To answer the original question, you don't need to do anything special to the wash to airbrush GW washes, at least not the old ones.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm interested in any skeletons/mummies/egyptian undead.

If you're in the US, you might consider this ridiculous Black Friday deal from Miniature Market. I'm not sure what level of quality the Arcane Legions minis were, but still, that's 40 unpainted Egyptian dudes (some of which, the "Cursed," are mummies, if memory/looking at the box art serves) for $4 plus shipping.

Wargames Factory also makes skeletons for relatively cheap, but not that cheap; that's 30 skellys for $20. Which I guess is actually pretty cheap.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 29, 2013

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I applied Devlan Mud using an airbrush once. It worked ok but my whole basement smelled like nurgle's rear end in a top hat for about a week. Worst idea ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
So, I finished assembling my first Steel Legion melta gunner:

I'm really happy with how he turned out. I cut off the barrel of his plasma gun, adhering to the L-shape crease, so the grip on the bottom juts out a bit. After that I put the melta barrel on and used liquid green stuff to smooth out the plasma heat sinks. Then I added the sight on top of the barrel. I added the melta bit on the side afterwards, and I think it looks really good. I have two more to make, but my loving drill bit broke. Which I use to affix the melta barrel. And of course its my only drill bit. So I gotta go out and get a new set tomorrow. Oh well.

• Locked thread