Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I give this thing a 50/50 chance of burning the building down.

What the engrish? DONT USE IT DUDE!!! Send it to Blacksword, let that mess solve itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What the engrish? DONT USE IT DUDE!!! Send it to Blacksword, let that mess solve itself.

Well he can use it, just not beyond usage.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Inspector_666 posted:

Well he can use it, just not beyond usage.

And as long as he doesn't change it on his mind, whatever the gently caress that means.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

eithedog posted:

I think I'm starting to develop "have issues how you do stuff" syndrome.

If this is your only example, you don't have a syndrome. You have knowledge of the only appropriate way to format sub-categories.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

So I work in a medical labs IT department and at least twice this week I've been called out to draw stations for nonfunctioning printers. Twice they have had no paper. How retarded can you be? We have a utility set up that says what the status of the printer is on the screen of the terminals at ALL TIMES, and when I got to the PCs the first thing I see is that it says it's out of paper. So instead of doing stuff that would help the lab run better like automation and whatnot I have to drive 10 miles to put paper in someones printer.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Simpleboo posted:

So I work in a medical labs IT department and at least twice this week I've been called out to draw stations for nonfunctioning printers. Twice they have had no paper. How retarded can you be? We have a utility set up that says what the status of the printer is on the screen of the terminals at ALL TIMES, and when I got to the PCs the first thing I see is that it says it's out of paper. So instead of doing stuff that would help the lab run better like automation and whatnot I have to drive 10 miles to put paper in someones printer.

At this point it's almost your fault for not just checking the printer's status over the network.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

If this is your only example, you don't have a syndrome. You have knowledge of the only appropriate way to format sub-categories.

I know that it's a tame example comparing to other stuff that lands here, but I guess it's more of "why would you do that?". While working with people that have supposedly more than a year of experience in the matter of CSS/UI.
I'd be totally fine if it was a mistake. I'd be glad if it was a mistake.

It's not the only example, but the only example today that I couldn't find a way to do differently than what I originally posted.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Simpleboo posted:

Next time use Join.me before driving out.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
We have an ECG stress test machine (Basically, a proprietary computer system connected to a treadmill) in the Cardio computer. They want us to connect it to the network so that it can transfer information to the crappy Muse system. This system is running Windows NT 4.0. Not at all surprising, shortly after connecting it to the network it got infected.

Thankfully, the head person in Cardio understands that this poo poo is old and needs to be replaced, so she's currently bugging the poo poo out of Administration to allocate funds to do so. In the meantime, we still need to get this thing on the network so that they can transfer information. I'm thinking I can set up a small PC to basically act as a firewall. I also need to see about trying to clean up the existing infection. I can download Windows Defender offline and burn it to CD, but as old as this system is I'm not sure if it'll boot from CD, nor am I sure that it will be powerful enough to run it. Looking at the system requirements page, it needs a minimum of 768MB of RAM. This thing only has 256MB.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Simpleboo posted:

10 miles is nothing. I once did 2 1/2 hours each way in the middle of the night to plug in a network cable that the nurse "traced, yeah it's plugged in".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TWBalls posted:

I can download Windows Defender offline and burn it to CD, but as old as this system is I'm not sure if it'll boot from CD, nor am I sure that it will be powerful enough to run it. Looking at the system requirements page, it needs a minimum of 768MB of RAM. This thing only has 256MB.

I don't even know if it would clean out a Windows NT 4.0 machine.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Simpleboo posted:

This, but I only have to walk down the hall so it isn't so bad. I'd be checking the status remotely otherwise, but at the same time would it kill the users to just look at the drat LCD screen? Hint: It would of course because they "aren't good with computers" so there isn't a point in checking to see what the printers says because of "reasons".

What pisses me off more than that though:
- Users who print to our cheap (but expensive to use printers with low duty cycles) because they are too lazy to walk down a single flight of stairs to use our big Ricoh machine.
- Printing to Ricoh and finding out that 4-5 users tried printing, found it was out of paper and instead of refilling it with the reams located RIGHT NEXT TO IT, they leave it and likely print another copy to one of the other printers. So I get to wait for 100 pages to print before my job comes through.

Midly amusing, annoying and scary: people who don't understand why you can't print to a network printer when their computer isISN'T connected to the network...

Edit: ugh, typo, then clarification

A c E fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 27, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My boss was confused in a meeting this morning about how the local profile on his laptop which isn't on any domain had nothing to do with his domain profile.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

At this point it's almost your fault for not just checking the printer's status over the network.

I would completely agree with you but when I remoted in to check the problem the people at the draw station couldn't understand (They speak moonspeak of some sort).

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
No, it's not for Google. Small telco company that happens to run the Lifeline program where I will be a big fish in a small pond. Me and my boss, basically. Also, did some more calculations and it's 30% more than I've ever made. I start next week. :v:

blogo
Oct 1, 2004

TWBalls posted:

We have an ECG stress test machine (Basically, a proprietary computer system connected to a treadmill) in the Cardio computer. They want us to connect it to the network so that it can transfer information to the crappy Muse system. This system is running Windows NT 4.0. Not at all surprising, shortly after connecting it to the network it got infected.

How exactly did it get infected? Isn't the network behind a firewall too?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

blogo posted:

How exactly did it get infected? Isn't the network behind a firewall too?

Yes, but when there are hundreds of systems all of which have clueless users manning them, quite a few of them are bound to be infected. After that, a worm will then try to infect other systems on a network.

Oh yeah, the corporate Antivirus is McAfee which is well known for being piss poor, many facilities tend to disable Windows Firewall and make their users local admins.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

TWBalls posted:

Yes, but when there are hundreds of systems all of which have clueless users manning them, quite a few of them are bound to be infected. After that, a worm will then try to infect other systems on a network.

Oh yeah, the corporate Antivirus is McAfee which is well known for being piss poor, many facilities tend to disable Windows Firewall and make their users local admins.

That's just a recipe for disaster. It bothers me when people just throw permissions around like they are nothing and then we have to come and clean up after those very privileges hose an entire system.

Domnu
Jan 14, 2006

Simpleboo posted:

That's just a recipe for disaster. It bothers me when people just throw permissions around like they are nothing and then we have to come and clean up after those very privileges hose an entire system.

Well, when companies refuse to update the software that they bought in 1989 with anything modern (Spend MONEY?!), or the program was badly written and writes in a bunch of protected places...

Sometimes slap-dash solutions get put into place and you have to handle the fallout or the fixing, and it all comes down to which is worse to try and fight through.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I asked a minion to go release an email then check the logs to find out at why it got blocked by our spam filter.

He found the email and released it, then told me that it wasn't in the logs. That's weird, because it shouldn't be possible for us to receive an email without having it hit the gateway. I go dig into the logs, find it, and send it to him asking what the deal is.

This is the reply I get:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 28, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To be fair that search up / down is completely pointless and it's caught me out before. It should at least default to searching the whole document.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Especially if you use web browsers that default to starting from the top of the page when you reach the bottom.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I asked a minion to go release an email then check the logs to find out at why it got blocked by our spam filter.

He found the email and released it, then told me that it wasn't in the logs. That's weird, because it shouldn't be possible for us to receive an email without having it hit the gateway. I go dig into the logs, find it, and send it to him asking what the deal is.

This is the reply I get:

Your minion needs to install Notepad++ super bad.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The bad thing here isn't the up or down search: it's that your minion isn't using a proper text editor with multiple-file search, regular expressions, syntax highlighting, and a billion other useful functions.

PSPad is my favorite, though Notepad++, TextPad, and Sublime Text are quite good as well.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

The bad thing here isn't the up or down search: it's that your minion isn't using a proper text editor with multiple-file search, regular expressions, syntax highlighting, and a billion other useful functions.

PSPad is my favorite, though Notepad++, TextPad, and Sublime Text are quite good as well.

I agree! The way he explained it just made it way more ridiculous.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I always change my search direction to "Up" and it never finds anything :confused:

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

mewse posted:

I always change my search direction to "Up" and it never finds anything :confused:

I think Notepad searched up/down from where you've set the cursor in the file, rather than from where in the file you're looking, which might explain that.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

dissss posted:

Pissing me off today: my work HP desktop has 6x USB2 ports and 4x USB3 ports. Great, except all the USB3 ports are conveniently located on the back of the case

Surely you own a pile of USB extension cords of varying lengths so it doesn't matter where the ports are on the case or where the case is under your desk because you can put a port where you need it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It would be nicer to not have to work around lazy design. Just make all the ports USB3 and charge a few dollars more for the computer. Nobody should have to think what version a USB port is before plugging something into it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

thebigcow posted:

Surely you own a pile of USB extension cords of varying lengths so it doesn't matter where the ports are on the case or where the case is under your desk because you can put a port where you need it?

There are some slight differences between the USB2 and USB3 specs which may mean he won't get the advantages of USB3 unless he uses a USB3 spec extension cable.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Earl of Lavender posted:

I think Notepad searched up/down from where you've set the cursor in the file, rather than from where in the file you're looking, which might explain that.

I was joking about the autistic help desk assistant that screenshotted the exact steps required to find a substring

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

thebigcow posted:

I think companies who design cases, with some exceptions, must think this.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Simpleboo posted:

I think companies who design cases, with some exceptions, must think this.

I think that most case designers don't think.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

spog posted:

I think that most case designers don't think.

I just spent half an hour explaining to a guy that's assembling a template how if works.

As in - if [statement] { do this }.

I don't know if my days are real anymore.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Pissing me off today...

We bought a backup firewall (Cisco ASA 5510) that I setup and have it basically as a clone of our current firewall. It has a slightly newer image file on it. The plan was to swap it in place of the current one this morning. Should be pretty easy, just move 4 cables over and be done. When I did that there was no internet connection. Not sure if I am missing something or what. They have the same name and IP addresses, basically the whole running config is identical.

To add to that my boss was supposed to be in this morning to help. He sent me a text at 10pm last night saying he would be a couple hours late. Then sent a text at 7am this morning to remind me to swap the firewalls over. It's probably better that he wasn't here because if he was I am sure he would have some stupid ideas of what might be wrong. instead I just plugged the older one back in and will deal with the new one later.

If anyone has any idea what i may be missing I would be glad to hear it. I am sure it is something stupid but we are a very small shop so I don't get to setup or install firewalls that often.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is your internet connection something that cares about the MAC address of the kit it's plugged in to? Might need to reboot some ISP kit or get them to clear out any reservations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The company's been expanding a lot faster than the IT budget this year, so I'm spending more and more time guddling about in the Ancient Pile of Broken Crap trying to put together working laptops. I actually quite enjoy it. It's kind of relaxing, like playing with lego.
The one annoyance is keyboard keys. You'd think a single model of laptop would all have identical keyboards, but our Latitudes have no fewer than eight types of clip fastening the keys to the board. Why so many? Each type is equally fiddly to fix and no better than the others at stopping the keys from pinging off when users jam them in docking stations like big drunk apes. I'm running out of donor boards with the keys I need. The best one I found just now:

Two different clips on one board. :psyduck:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Caged posted:

Is your internet connection something that cares about the MAC address of the kit it's plugged in to? Might need to reboot some ISP kit or get them to clear out any reservations.

I don't believe so but that does give me something else to check into. Thanks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ynglaur posted:

Or install something like Cygwin or some other way to run 'grep' inside of WIndows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

Or install something like Cygwin or some other way to run 'grep' inside of WIndows.

Yeah, like powershell's "select-string -pattern", which comes by default on every modern version of Windows