Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
My work schedule has changed so I'm home rather late every night now and my tepid puddle machines have transformed from neat toys to indispensable pieces of hardware for keeping myself fed with good food. I've fallen in love with just making a pseudo-vegetable-stock by vacuum bagging a ton of veg and running them all day at 183F. A block of ice and a pat of butter adds enough moisture that you can actually get a cup or so of really good stock out of the bag while the veg themselves still have a very pleasant texture. Just tossing it with some rice/pasta/other starchy thing and alongside some beans or some meat that I'd sous-vide'd overnight the night before and put in the fridge really have saved me.

Yes I realize its pretty uninspired cooking, but at least I'm eating fresh and healthy despite working 60-70 hours a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I have cooked some steaks at like 135F for the recommended time. However, I wasn't able to eat them when they were done so I ice bath'd them and threw them in the fridge.

How long will they stay good? I want to eat them but I don't want to die either.

When I put them in their ice bath, I threw the bowl they were in into the fridge so I think time spent above 40F was minimal.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Should be good for at least a week. I think Doug Baldwin's site has guidelines for storage time.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Just received an email from Sansaire saying release date pushed back to Jan 30th.

Will post up the email later if anyone is interested?

e: vvvvv yeah that's it. Bummer.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 17, 2013

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Well that's thoroughly disappointing... I'd appreciate you posting it, since it seems they haven't sent me the bad news yet.

EDIT: I assume this blog post I found on their site covers it http://sansaire.com/2013/11/delay-jan-30/

Full Circle fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 17, 2013

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Should be good for at least a week. I think Doug Baldwin's site has guidelines for storage time.

Thanks. I had one of the steaks yesterday and am going to have another one today. Super tender. I'll take pictures of the one today as it's a 2" thick ribeye :)

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
Saw this on Reddit.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

MeKeV posted:

Just received an email from Sansaire saying release date pushed back to Jan 30th.

Will post up the email later if anyone is interested?

e: vvvvv yeah that's it. Bummer.

It's pretty annoying. Not unexpected though, I guess.

I was going to vizzle up some steaks for a family bbq over xmas for about 30 people, mixed between rare/med/well done. Having a second IC was going to make it simple as hell.

I guess I can still just do the medium ones first, then drop them in with the rare ones to reheat before hitting them all with fire. But still, starting to wish I just picked up an Anova *fistshake*

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrosephofArimathea posted:

I was going to vizzle up some steaks for a family bbq over xmas for about 30 people, mixed between rare/med/well done. Having a second IC was going to make it simple as hell.

I guess I can still just do the medium ones first, then drop them in with the rare ones to reheat before hitting them all with fire. But still, starting to wish I just picked up an Anova *fistshake*

You can still cancel and get an anova, right?

Stuff like this makes me never want to get in on a kick starter. First the nomiku and now this. I had the sansaire sponsored, but then people were talking about the anova price drop and how it worked great. So I cancelled the sansaire and had an anova within 2 weeks and it has worked flawlessly.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Do them all in advance, chill and refrigerate, then sear them after you let them come back to room temp. I felt like the chill really helps give it a better sear.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 18, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

nwin posted:

You can still cancel and get an anova, right?

Stuff like this makes me never want to get in on a kick starter. First the nomiku and now this. I had the sansaire sponsored, but then people were talking about the anova price drop and how it worked great. So I cancelled the sansaire and had an anova within 2 weeks and it has worked flawlessly.

No. I desperately wish I'd seen the talk about the Anova price drop before the Sansaire kickstarted ended, so I could've bought that.

But I mean, supporting entrepreneurial spirit, or whatever.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
A couple months' delay on a Kickstarter project seems like par for course really, and they have been pretty open and specific about everything so far. If you look back at when Nomiku was first funded, they were still looking for a factory to build it at this point, and they hadn't worked out tooling, started any kind of certification, or anything else. Even after finalizing everything they were dicking around with certification for months and months afterwards. Even that was pretty good compared to some early Kickstarter projects when they didn't even require a working prototype. I feel a lot more confident the Sansaire isn't going to turn into something similar given where they are in production, but we shall see.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I'm sure they'll get it out - I'm not really concerned about that. I'm a little annoyed that they stay quiet for a month, only to update things with a 2-month delay.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
This is why I never bother with anything on Kickstarter.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

mediaphage posted:

they stay quiet for a month, only to update things with a 2-month delay.

Kickstarter.txt

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

To be honest, I've gotten a couple of things from KS I'm happy with, but I agree, it seems to be par for the course.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

135F Ribeye (one of the steaks I asked about above). Was cooked then iced then reheated and it turned out great. So tender.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I always have low-effort awesome stock ready. Thanks puddle machine!

I wonder if the 220-volt international version of the Anova works any better for heating? Sometimes mine makes a loud noise and I have to turn it off and on again. I didn't see anything about it in the instructions and it's easy to take apart, clean, and put back together. Not sure what causes it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

I always have low-effort awesome stock ready. Thanks puddle machine!

I wonder if the 220-volt international version of the Anova works any better for heating? Sometimes mine makes a loud noise and I have to turn it off and on again. I didn't see anything about it in the instructions and it's easy to take apart, clean, and put back together. Not sure what causes it.

How do you do sous vide stock? I just spent all day durning a dozen turkey wings into six cups of stock for gravy, and if I every et my sansaire and there's an easier way, I'm all for it!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

How do you do sous vide stock? I just spent all day durning a dozen turkey wings into six cups of stock for gravy, and if I every et my sansaire and there's an easier way, I'm all for it!

In a small to medium serving of meat or veggies I normally only get a half cup to a cup of stock each. If I "overcook" stuff it tends to lose a lot more liquid. At first my sous vide turkey was coming out way too dry because all the juice and some of the fat just end up in the bag.

On the last page Fuzzy Pipe Wrench described just throwing a bunch of veggies in "all day at 183F/83C" (kind of hot imo) and getting a psuedo-veggie stock. I threw a bunch of veggies in and had a good base for a low sodium wonton soup. There is no reason you couldn't turn a cut of meat into a good stock like this.

Use a sharpie and painter's tape to write the date on the bag or container you put the stock in. Use it within a couple weeks.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 26, 2013

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm moving to a country without safe drinking water. Do I need to use bottled water in my sous vide machine, or can I just use the unsafe tap water (and if so, should I boil it first?)?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Womens Jeans posted:

I'm moving to a country without safe drinking water. Do I need to use bottled water in my sous vide machine, or can I just use the unsafe tap water (and if so, should I boil it first?)?
When you cook in a puddle machine the food is never in contact with the cooking medium (the water); the food is in a bag, and if your bag isn't watertight you're going to have other problems. There are a couple of special cases where you might have the food directly in contact with the cooking medium---as discussed earlier you can do lobsters in butter with an IC---but then you're generally not using water anyway.

And that all aside, if you're cooking long enough to pasteurise the food (and you should), then you're also going to be pasteurising the water. Of course this won't help if your water contamination problems involve heavy metals or arsenic or something like that, but hopefully you're talking about moving to a place like India that uses a lot of groundwater with biological contamination rather than a superfund site, alien planet, or something like that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So loving frustrated-just had some of the most mundane, average tasting T-bone steaks ever. Tell me what I did wrong, because I've sous vizzled steak before, and it's always came out fine.

1) Bought two t-bones that were on sale about 2 months ago, immediately seasoned with salt/pepper and a pat of butter and individually vacuum sealed them. Stuck in the freezer.
2) About two weeks ago, noticed the bags weren't looking as vacuum packed-put in new bags and re-sealed.
3) Took steaks out of freezer on Sunday morning.
4) Heated water to 130F, put steak in water for 3 hours today.
5) Took steaks out, patted dry with paper towels, re-seasoned with salt/pepper.
6) Something different this time: I decided to trim the fat that is on the side of the steaks off prior to cooking. I figured that since I only sear em for 30 seconds/side, the fat doesn't have time to render anyways, so why not trim it off in advance.
7) Hot cast iron pan, small amount of canola oil, each side in for 30 seconds.

The steaks were rather thin, but probably still about an inch thick, maybe slightly under. They just had zero flavor to them (perhaps not enough seasoning). Prior to freezing, I don't recall them having much marbling. The texture wasn't even that good. If I had to guess, it seemed like it was cooked way more than 130 degrees F, but that's what I had my Anova set to. It wasn't tough at all, fairly tender, just the taste completely fell flat. One thing to note is one steak got a bit more salt on it than the other one and it tasted *slightly* better, but not a drastic difference.

So, my thoughts are that it was just low quality steak, but I can't think of anything else. It definitely didn't taste like freezer burn, so I'm ruling that out since the bags lost their vacuum seal at some point in the freezer.

Any ideas?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sounds like lovely meat.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Seasoning them before putting them in the freezer did nothing for you. I would suggest marinading your steak for a few days in your refrigerator before cooking them if you're going to season them like that.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

HairyNipple! posted:

Saw this on Reddit.

What is this?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Pissflaps posted:

What is this?

Sous vide scrambled Peeps, looks like.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

What is this?

I think the correct term is "loving disgusting"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

So, my thoughts are that it was just low quality steak, but I can't think of anything else. It definitely didn't taste like freezer burn, so I'm ruling that out since the bags lost their vacuum seal at some point in the freezer.

Any ideas?
I'll just add that sawed bones love popping vacuum seal bags like kids with bubble wrap

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So for thanksgiving I wanted to make a whole shitload of miniature creme brulees and came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHuXaJhRNY

Perfection! At least I thought; a way to make a ton of creme brulee with relative ease.

Picked up these:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3-1-4-4-oz-foil-utility-cup-100-pack/99942330.html

And man, the first run through the recipe sucked. Holy poo poo. Grainy as hell, a bit chunky, just eesh- no good texture-wise. (Flavor was good).

So I ended up trying sieving the mixture after cooking. No dice; too thick for any sieve I've got.

Ended up using an immersion blender on the custard as soon as its out of the water bath, and right before the foil tins. THAT worked perfectly; silky smooth texture I wanted/needed.

Just figured I'd share in case anyone wants to give it a go at some point.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Walked posted:

Ended up using an immersion blender on the custard as soon as its out of the water bath, and right before the foil tins. THAT worked perfectly; silky smooth texture I wanted/needed.

Just figured I'd share in case anyone wants to give it a go at some point.

Lowering the bath temperature a bit works too, also when you take it out of the bath after it cooks, put it on ice and constantly massage the bag so it's in constant movement. Made delicious creme brulee that way without clogging my chinois.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

"Clogging your chinois" sounds like a euphemism.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
The blow torch attachment thing Dave Arnold of Cooking Issues has been working on is on kickstarter now: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708738346/the-searzall

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm in. I'd give Dave Arnold $65 if he just asked nicely.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
All over this because gently caress torches. I've never been truly happy with how well they (don't) work.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Dave Arnold? :homebrew:

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

LTBS posted:

135F Ribeye (one of the steaks I asked about above). Was cooked then iced then reheated and it turned out great. So tender.

How did that turn out? I love rare ribeye but there seems to be a lot of connective tissue to make it hard to eat. Did that dissolve on your steak?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Senior Funkenstien posted:

How did that turn out? I love rare ribeye but there seems to be a lot of connective tissue to make it hard to eat. Did that dissolve on your steak?

It turned out great. All of the fat and connective tissue had broken down somewhat. I usually go medium to medium rare on a ribeye due to the same issue.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Man. Every time I sous vide it comes out being the best meat I've cooked.

The ONE issue I have is compared to conventional cooking the sous vide meat seems to cool while serving / on the plate far faster. I mean its obviously just a product of not heating to as high of a temperature, but its still kinda annoying.

That said, made pork tenderloin at 140F for 3hrs then torched it three times with a bourbon glaze and it was the best pork tenderloin I've ever had. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Walked posted:

Man. Every time I sous vide it comes out being the best meat I've cooked.

The ONE issue I have is compared to conventional cooking the sous vide meat seems to cool while serving / on the plate far faster. I mean its obviously just a product of not heating to as high of a temperature, but its still kinda annoying.

That said, made pork tenderloin at 140F for 3hrs then torched it three times with a bourbon glaze and it was the best pork tenderloin I've ever had. drat.

Heat your plates?