Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

awesomeness

This sounds great. The ending of the game always bothered me; it seemed halfassed. But now it might be worth looking into again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The major problem is that the Generators and Warlab are pretty rough looking. They add some closure to the game, but transitioning to them from the regular levels you can tell that they're "unfinished", I guess.

Other levels, like the Dark Hollow, don't have this problem. The Dark Hollow looks like it was completely finished but just cut from the game for no particular reason.

The Dark Hollow is that big huge, undocumented stretch of map between the southern exit of the Dark Valley and the Cordon. This was originally designed to be a sequence where you escape from the Military, in a car, while being pursued by a chopper and having pretty much the entire Ukraine army after you. I guess the reason why they cut it was that cars weren't included in the final game.

It's also quite fun to go through this section while driving a BTR. Assuming you don't get hit by a barrage of rockets (much easier, since the BTR is quite slow) then you can take down everything with the onboard turret, including the chopper.

e: Plus it's the return of my favourite part of Clear Sky

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 13, 2013

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
@Ddraig: After a little hassle at first I have the keylogger working just fine. Not sure why it doesn't work for you and it should not matter if you have the Steam version as the dsound.dll is not present in the original game, it's just a dll hook into the game.

You remembered to add keylogger.update() to the very end of the bind_stalker:update() function?
Are you using the original keylogger.script that came with it? I tried out a medkit by having Numlock enabled and pressing Numpad 4 and I got a message and the medkit was used. If you tried reassigning the keys remember that you need to rename the function in keylogger.script to the virtual key being used and you need to make sure the key number is listed under [keys] in config/keys.cfg.

If you still can't get it working try adding "-dsound" to the end of your SHOC desktop shortcut. Also check asilog in bin to see if it's hooking properly.

--
There's no reason why this wouldn't work with other games either since the source code is included and the dsound.dll was designed to work with any game it looks like, as long as it resides with the exe.
I'm going to make a version for COP (since it's "configs" not "config" in COP, so the source needs a minor change). -- Looks like it's not possible. Either part of the source code is missing or it's simply incompatible.

This also must be how the engine extensions are being made for Gunslinger mod: he's using this hook and writing new asi files that extend the engine.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 13, 2013

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, I'm definitely adding the keylogger.update() to the function. It's the strangest thing. I'm sure there's something incredibly stupid that I'm doing that is making it not work.

One of my favorite new features of the X-Ray extensions/Cut X-ray thing is that some options that didn't do anything now actually work. Grass shadow now works, as does grass density. I turned up grass density to the max, and it completely killed my framerate thanks to an incredible amount of grass.

Plus there's little tiny details that are nice, like the actor now having a proper shadow. This does kind of reveal how bad the third-person animations are, since the running one is particularly dodgy if you're not holding anything and your shadow looks goofy, but it's a nice touch.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Loving that emission change where it knocks out electronics and lasts longer, always love when basic things like that and expanded upon in new interesting ways that also manage to make sense in game/mechanically.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One other neat thing that it does is now, if you're in trade, it highlights the items you've got equipped as Green, so if you've got multiples of an item, you don't accidentally sell the one you're using.

This isn't perfect, as some items I've added (like helmets) don't actually count as equipped items in a traditional sense since they're actually hacked in via scripts, but it's a neat little thing.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Illegal Username posted:

Misery is the exactly right name for this mod.

Decided to do the whole hog and start on the Black Road and holy poo poo.

Grabbed a battered double-barrel shotgun off a zombie and ran like hell from the sawmill.

Did not know where i was, had no compass and because i had no batteries, no map. Then i remembered that Skadovsk is somewhere east of the sawmill, so i headed towards the rising sun.

Got jumped by two bandits, ran and hid until they broke off and i SWORE REVENGE. Stalked them for a while, then shot both of them from behind a rock and set to looting.

My only loot was two rusty pistols and a picture of a woman :smith:

Misery.

That's actually a really good story
Also kinda :smith:

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
I've got a problem in my Misery 2.0.2 save. Some background: right near the start, I went on a quest to the dredge station to get the Altered Wheel artifact for Beard. When you pick up the Wheel and try to leave the dredge station, a stalker called Tuna confronts you and asks you give him the artifact. If you refuse, his friend points a gun at you and he demands the artifact. At this point I ran away back to Skavodsk with both of the stalkers chasing me, without answering their demands either way. I quickly gave Beard the artifact and completed the quest... then Tuna and his buddy showed up and demanded the artifact again, after I'd given it away. Thinking I could trick the game, I said "Sure, take the artifact!" and he wandered off empty handed but satisfied. The problem is that later in the game, Tuna appears back at the bar and sells the artifact to Beard. But since he doesn't actually have the artifact in his inventory, the game crashes immediately when he tries to sell it. Is there any way I can solve this without basically restarting the game? If I gun him down in the middle of the bar to stop him selling the artifact will everyone hate me? Or is there a way to somehow cheat the item into his inventory so the game doesn't crash?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

The Geoff posted:

I've got a problem in my Misery 2.0.2 save. Some background: right near the start, I went on a quest to the dredge station to get the Altered Wheel artifact for Beard. When you pick up the Wheel and try to leave the dredge station, a stalker called Tuna confronts you and asks you give him the artifact. If you refuse, his friend points a gun at you and he demands the artifact. At this point I ran away back to Skavodsk with both of the stalkers chasing me, without answering their demands either way. I quickly gave Beard the artifact and completed the quest... then Tuna and his buddy showed up and demanded the artifact again, after I'd given it away. Thinking I could trick the game, I said "Sure, take the artifact!" and he wandered off empty handed but satisfied. The problem is that later in the game, Tuna appears back at the bar and sells the artifact to Beard. But since he doesn't actually have the artifact in his inventory, the game crashes immediately when he tries to sell it. Is there any way I can solve this without basically restarting the game? If I gun him down in the middle of the bar to stop him selling the artifact will everyone hate me? Or is there a way to somehow cheat the item into his inventory so the game doesn't crash?

If you're running Ddraig's patches, you should have a cheat menu to spawn items as it was included in the save corruption fix (esc, f4). Spawn another artifact into your inventory and then talk to him.

That said, you should probably just start over. Mucking around with quest items can corrupt the hell out of saves. It's not like you'd be losing much progress.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The crash with Tuna on the Skadovsk has been in Misery from the start. I have no idea what they did, but I can't really figure out a way to fix it.

It always happens after be brings it out. I'm guessing somewhere between him bringing it out and giving it to Beard it gets deleted, so it crashes because of that.

This always happens, even if you give it to them at the Dredge station. The best thing to do is to keep it for yourself, and just kill them.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm playing Clear Sky complete and I'm noticing that my assault rifles weren't giving me much effort. I finally noticed during a fire fight as I aimed down the sights that my first bullet streaked about 30 degrees away from the barrel. Is there any reason bullets have issues going straight?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Acquire Currency! posted:

I'm playing Clear Sky complete and I'm noticing that my assault rifles weren't giving me much effort. I finally noticed during a fire fight as I aimed down the sights that my first bullet streaked about 30 degrees away from the barrel. Is there any reason bullets have issues going straight?

Yeah, Clear Sky has terrible ballistics. There's a mod kickin' around the internet that fixes this, but I don't have a link on hand right now.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
^^ Yeah, this. Also, the developers really want you to use the new weapon upgrading mechanic. Unfortunately, they figured the best way to incentivize players to do so was by making a lot of the guns really goddamn awful.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Guns in clear sky do gently caress all until you upgrade them, it's embarrassing.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killswitch posted:

Guns in clear sky do gently caress all until you upgrade them, it's embarrassing.

Yeah, since I've posted I've upgraded my AK with two 50% 'flatness' upgrades and a muzzle velocity upgrade and now it kinda works.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Tried downloading misery 2.0.2 and the patch here, but the game crashes with some xray engine error at the end of the loading screen when I go to start a new game. The title screen suggests everything was installed correctly.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Anybody heard about a mod called M.S.U? Any good remarks to be had for it?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
For those who play Call of Pripyat: Alundaio, author of AI Tweaks, is back and now making a new version of AI Tweaks separate from Misery 2 and containing some new features.

He posted this list about it on his forum:

quote:

Stability is my priority. AI Tweaks 2.03 is pretty stable except for the problems with rx_facer and it's inability to be merged with my other mods. However there was a lot of changes to it, in Misery. I ripped out all the scripts and configs from my Misery beta 7 build. I'm going through one feature at a time and testing/fixing features.

Next release is going to contain all these:
  • Atmosfear with options menu and settings that are independent from save games. (Working/Done)
  • Close Captioning (Working/Done)
  • Radio Mini-mod (Working/Done)
  • Item mini-mod which contains Mutant Looting, Equipment repair system, Actor rucksack, Stash mod and sleeping bag (Working/Done)
  • LIOS, rx_ff, rx_gl and rx_facer (Working/Done)
  • Surrendering NPCs (Dialog needs fixed)
  • Dynamic Spawn System (Needs re-worked so that it doesn't save data on se_actor, to prevent actor corruption)
  • More efficient smart_terrain.script (Working/Done)
  • Faster loading of the dynamic gulag LTX in gulag_general.script (Can't find the script I was working on before, but it made loads a tad faster, TBD)
  • Updated Behavior Scheme and Camper scheme that can parse ltx data to perform actions which removes the dependency on defining paths and waypoints in all.spawn. It also makes adding new jobs easy as poo poo (Done/Working)
  • Updated animpoint script that allows animpoint animation and facing direction to be defined in logic (Done/Working)
  • More efficient State Manager designed to avoid methods that can cause C Stack Errors over time. (Done/Working but may need further testing)
  • The greatest in-game Debugging tools known to Call of Pripyat, XRS_DEBUG_TOOLS (Done/Working makes my life easier)
  • More efficient dialog_manager.script. Recently added more safeguards to prevent dialog crashes. (Done/Working still needs further testing in Jupiter where common dialog crashes occur)
  • Over 11,000 lines of new dialog by Damjan, with his permission (Done/Working)
  • Stalkers change outfits! (Working/Done)
  • Stalkers use addons. (Has a bug still, low priority, but plan to fix)
  • Companions will be back (Needs to be fixed for updated beh scheme and need to add behavior for when Actor enters the 3 safe bases.)
  • Tons of other cool poo poo and everything that was in previous versions!

Also people should check out Arsenal Overhaul by our own Enigma. 1.3 is going to contain a bunch of weapons from my cancelled mod.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

What are some fun alternate ways to play stalker? I seem to gravitate too much towards the Vintorez in all the stalker games. The Tide in CoP is particularly brutal. I've hardly even used the G36, even though people say it is the uber-gun. My progression is usually something like (startingGun)->Abakan->Vintorez.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
SVU is pretty handy, the G36 is very, very good. The Groza can be murderous if you've got the armor to get in close and mix it up, but like you, I tend to gravitate towards the longer-range weapons. NATO weapons are all pretty solid in that role. If you're playing SoC, the LR300 can easily be picked up from mercs in Wild Territory. In other games, the SIG550 is a very good gun. The unique version in CoP is great.

There's also always the VAL, but yeah, I really do like the Vintorez (and Tide is just too good) in the Stalker games.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, I usually try to avoid duke-it-out firefights as much as possible, as getting shot in the head tends to end you pretty fast. I don't know if that is because I play on the hardest difficulty, or because I rarely wear exoskeleton armor. I usually end up running around in a SEVA suit and headshotting with a Vintorez. Normally a shotgun for anti-mutant backup.

Wonder how far I could get with just pistol/smg/shotgun, or with LMGs.

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007
Is this your homework Larry?

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, I usually try to avoid duke-it-out firefights as much as possible, as getting shot in the head tends to end you pretty fast. I don't know if that is because I play on the hardest difficulty, or because I rarely wear exoskeleton armor. I usually end up running around in a SEVA suit and headshotting with a Vintorez. Normally a shotgun for anti-mutant backup.

Wonder how far I could get with just pistol/smg/shotgun, or with LMGs.

When I'm playing Stalkersoup I usually gravitate to Vintorez for the rifle, SR-3 Vikhr for a pistol/cqb weapon and a Saiga for mutants. So much fun to be had.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I got to the bar and got my next story mission to go get more documents. But I also picked up like 5 side missions from other guys. So I start following one that looked close on the map and bled into a duty guy that needed help saving his friend. Then a second friend. Now I'm 2 or 3 levels away from where I'm supposed to be. Seems every time I get something done, I just get another 5 points in my map that need dealing with.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
I'm currently trying to set up ZRP for a first-time playthrough. The readme says

Readme posted:

If this is your first time playing STALKER, you should re-enable
some vanilla features to know why they were disabled in the
first place.

The ZRP has a few default settings to reduce the complaints many
make and to enhance the game experience without changing
gameplay. However, you might want to suffer a bit first.
so it seems like the thing isn't really set up for a first-time playthrough without some tweaking. On the other hand, I'm really not interested in going through any pain or poorly balanced gameplay or broken, buggy bullshit. There are pages and pages of options, many of which don't seem very well explained even with the tips when I hover my mouse over them, and as someone who has never even played STALKER a lot of the options don't even make sense. How should I set this up for my first playthrough?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Swartz posted:

For those who play Call of Pripyat: Alundaio, author of AI Tweaks, is back and now making a new version of AI Tweaks separate from Misery 2 and containing some new features.

He posted this list about it on his forum:

Also people should check out Arsenal Overhaul by our own Enigma. 1.3 is going to contain a bunch of weapons from my cancelled mod.

I'd love to have this mod, but I cannot figure out how to set up the fixed scope/binocular textures. It just ends up being off to the right. Though that might be the fact that I took three different pills and then got exposed to a chemical anomaly. :catdrugs:

Can anybody help me figure it out?

I'm using 1600 x 900 and currently futzing with the FOV changer to hopefully find the magic number.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

E-Tank posted:

I'd love to have this mod, but I cannot figure out how to set up the fixed scope/binocular textures. It just ends up being off to the right. Though that might be the fact that I took three different pills and then got exposed to a chemical anomaly. :catdrugs:

Can anybody help me figure it out?

I'm using 1600 x 900 and currently futzing with the FOV changer to hopefully find the magic number.
Try this 16x9 patch: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4w4beafv0f4554q/DX10%20-%2016x9.zip

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 28, 2013

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

I was trying it in the patch you provided, and even put this in. I'll give it another try though. Thanks for the assistance regardless.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
Hey, is there an Unfucker patch for Misery 2.0.2? Google isn't showing anything up!

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

E-Tank posted:

I was trying it in the patch you provided, and even put this in. I'll give it another try though. Thanks for the assistance regardless.

Okay, It seems to be working now. Thanks, You might want to do something about the 'patch' that I downloaded doing gently caress all though.

Also, for some reason Russian has apparently overtaken the english language. I'd be fine with this, but the designers apparently never thought to add subtitles. :argh: I deleted the Bin and checked the integrity so I could redownload it, but no go.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

E-Tank posted:

Okay, It seems to be working now. Thanks, You might want to do something about the 'patch' that I downloaded doing gently caress all though.

Also, for some reason Russian has apparently overtaken the english language. I'd be fine with this, but the designers apparently never thought to add subtitles. :argh: I deleted the Bin and checked the integrity so I could redownload it, but no go.
Russian language is part of the mod. Many people are just sick of the corny English voice acting. You can have howdy ho back by deleting the characters_voice folder in gamedata/sounds. Because you deleted the bin folder you now need to run the FOV changer and set the FOV to 85 again.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

E.Nigma posted:

Russian language is part of the mod. Many people are just sick of the corny English voice acting. You can have howdy ho back by deleting the characters_voice folder in gamedata/sounds. Because you deleted the bin folder you now need to run the FOV changer and set the FOV to 85 again.

I agree, the corny english is horrible, but there are no subtitles, and I unfortunately have not managed to memorize the game to know what is being said to me.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

E-Tank posted:

I agree, the corny english is horrible, but there are no subtitles, and I unfortunately have not managed to memorize the game to know what is being said to me.
That second to last part in SoC, Chernobyl before the NPP, becomes a new and interesting challenge with Russian dialogue and no subtitles :allears:

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Autumn Aurora 2 for SOC has been released and it's a really nice mod (I'm about 2 hours into it so far).

It's much more demanding than regular SOC mods as it adds the high quality trees and brush from Absolute Nature 3 for COP, and almost all textures and models have been replaced with new higher quality ones.

It uses a lot of Misery stuff (some icons, the desaturated look, music) however I feel it fits well with this mod and the atmosphere it has and doesn't feel wrong to me the way Misery does since the authors simply went for an Autumn season and look and not a scorched-earth one.

A few neat features worth noting is a COP-style inventory screen, Atmosfear for SOC, your gloves change based on what suit you're wearing, and you need a detector to detect and grab artifacts.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 30, 2013

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Did they replace the lovely weapon models?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I know what I'm playing for another +20 hours. :shepface:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It really is quite good looking. It makes the zone feel more like wilderness than a wasteland. There are a bunch of nature sounds like crickets, birds, wolves, woodpeckers, and such. It is easy for bodies and other loot to get lost in the grass though.

sobkas
Oct 11, 2012

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Where's the misery ammo in Jupiter now? The medic doesn't sell anything violent.

I have the same problem, does anyone knows how to fix it?
I have installed a Ddraig hotfix already.

edit:
He doesn't restock, after buying everything from him he doesn't put new stuff for sell.
Even after a reload.

edit 2:I have a question.
Does "configs/scripts/jupiter/jup_b202_stalker_medic.ltx" need a "trade" set to "configs/misc/trade/trade_jup_b202_stalker_medic.ltx" ?

Trader in zaton does, so it looks strange that one in jupiter doesn't.
edit 3:
I have checked it and it fixes the problem, might need more testing but for now there is my patch:
http://goo.gl/EufSV7
I think that tremor need a similar patch:
http://goo.gl/ndC0wx

If have any problems with a patch
http://docs.moodle.org/dev/How_to_apply_a_patch

sobkas fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 2, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Swartz posted:

Autumn Aurora 2 for SOC has been released and it's a really nice mod (I'm about 2 hours into it so far).

It's much more demanding than regular SOC mods as it adds the high quality trees and brush from Absolute Nature 3 for COP, and almost all textures and models have been replaced with new higher quality ones.

It uses a lot of Misery stuff (some icons, the desaturated look, music) however I feel it fits well with this mod and the atmosphere it has and doesn't feel wrong to me the way Misery does since the authors simply went for an Autumn season and look and not a scorched-earth one.

A few neat features worth noting is a COP-style inventory screen, Atmosfear for SOC, your gloves change based on what suit you're wearing, and you need a detector to detect and grab artifacts.

This looks really cool. Does it make the game significantly more difficult than the base game?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This looks really cool. Does it make the game significantly more difficult than the base game?

It is more difficult though I wouldn't say significantly so. It's not Misery levels of difficulty or anything like that.

It's also real purty:

E.Nigma posted:

Did they replace the lovely weapon models?

If you mean the vanilla weapons, some are yes. The ones that haven't been are reanimated and reskinned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well goddamn that sounds amazing. Look and feel of Misery without the ball crushing difficulty is a winner in my book.