Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I had no problem using that extra 20% coupon on the Zatoichi set today in-store, with discounts and everything it ended up being $88. Remember that the 20% applies to the post-50% price, though, so you're not surprised by a higher price. It's more like a 66% discount, and then no tax if you're a member.

Zatoichi in general is a clever, likable character, and most of the films have stunning cinematography. I like the 4-ish I've seen, but I'm not sure if I would've bought if it I didn't get such a huge discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Mercaptopropyl posted:

What is so great about Zatoichi? Because I generally loathe anything Japanese, but I was also blown away by the Kurosawa films I've seen like Rashomon and Seven Samurai.

It's hard judging how I'd feel about the Zatoichi set when I'm not usually a fan of things like this. I hear plenty of people here and elsewhere talking about how great this set is but I've yet to hear an explanation of just what makes it so great (other than the number of films). I don't want to just write it off because I'm biased against it.

The Zatoichi flicks aren't what you'd normally call high art or superb drama, but they're really fun serials with a very likable lead actor. As 99 said, there's some great cinematography, especially in the episodes directed by Kenji Misumi (who has a Sergio Leone-like eye for composition, much like in his later Lone Wolf & Cub films). Sometimes, you just want to see somebody slice up 50 bad guys on a lazy afternoon.

But really, if you "generally loathe anything Japanese", but like Kurosawa, then you've generally been watching the wrong stuff.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Origami Dali posted:

But really, if you "generally loathe anything Japanese", but like Kurosawa, then you've generally been watching the wrong stuff.

Thanks, really appreciate your entire post. It sounds like something I'd enjoy but never want a box set of.

I realized how dumb what I said sounded, but I didn't know how else to explain it. I know Japanese art/entertainment is more than just anime, etc., but the wrong stuff is all I've ever been shown. I can't read enough of D.T. Suzuki and Zenkei Shibayama, etc, but nobody would have ever shown me them either. You were definitely spot on with that comment. It's the same reason why I thought I didn't like movies until last year, because I'd let people drag me to see Spider-Man or something instead of seeing what appealed to me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got the Zatoichi box set today and it's beautiful. I also own the BBS set, though, and if I had to recommend one as a blind buy it would definitely be the BBS set. It's broader and weirder and everyone should see Head and Easy Rider at least once.

The Zatoichi box set rules, but it's 25 movies about a samurai so you kinda go into that one knowing if you want it or not.

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
By the way, the Zatoichi movies are still free to watch on Criterion's Hulu channel, so if you want to see if they're your thing you can check them out there.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I realized how dumb what I said sounded, but I didn't know how else to explain it. I know Japanese art/entertainment is more than just anime, etc., but the wrong stuff is all I've ever been shown. I can't read enough of D.T. Suzuki and Zenkei Shibayama, etc, but nobody would have ever shown me them either. You were definitely spot on with that comment. It's the same reason why I thought I didn't like movies until last year, because I'd let people drag me to see Spider-Man or something instead of seeing what appealed to me.

There's a lot of great Japanese cinema. From Criterion, I really dig Pale Flower, Tokyo Drifter, Hari-kiri, and Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence (which is mostly in English with David Bowie playing a leading role). There's more that I haven't gotten the chance to see, but those are good starting places. I'm also a fan of Beat Takeshi. Movies like Sonatine and Outrage just stay with you.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Fun, I bought seven items during the B&N sale and it looks like they're shipping one at a time! Great! Wow!

Seconds
Qatsi Trilogy
Marketa Lazarova
Crumb
Wings of Desire (upgrade)
Rosemary's Baby
Brazil (upgrade)

Would have withheld the Qatsi set had I known about that coupon. Haven't got much experience with Bergman but maybe I'll pick up Fanny & Alexander since all y'all be yakkin' 'bout it.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Your thought process mystifies me but as long as you're beginning to look for stuff you might like then good on you?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Thanks, really appreciate your entire post. It sounds like something I'd enjoy but never want a box set of.

You are missing out. Japanese cinema is very impressive and unique in many regards. Watch Tokyo Drifter, Branded to Kill, or High Low. I think these are fun examples of what it can be.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah, I love Japanese cinema but loathe most anime with a passion. Even Miyazaki just kind of bores me (although Spirited Away is pretty cool).

If you need some suggestions for great Japanese films - Harakiri (1962), Kuroneko (1968), Snow Trail (1947), Onibaba (1964), Tokyo Story (1953) and Ugetsu (1953) are all phenomenal (and also all Criterion releases).

There's also some crazier films you might like, especially House (1977), Shogun Assassin (1980), Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991), and Battle Royale (2000).

Plus the aforementioned Tokyo Drifter (1966), Godzilla (1954), and pretty much any Kurosawa you can get your hands on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is Shoah worth getting? With the sale and that coupon, it would only be $37 after tax. I've been interested in it for a while, but I rarely see anyone talk about it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

TrixRabbi posted:

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991)

Uh, that's actually Hong Kong cinema (adapted from a Japanese manga).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

Uh, that's actually Hong Kong cinema (adapted from a Japanese manga).

Ah, you're right (I just went on Criticker and saw what I had ranked from Japan. It lists both countries.)

Still, everyone watch Riki-Oh.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
House sucks. Seen it like four times, always hoping I'll finally enjoy it, but nope, still garbage.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

kaujot posted:

House sucks. Seen it like four times, always hoping I'll finally enjoy it, but nope, still garbage.

Do not listen to this man.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

kaujot posted:

Lies, lies, lies. Every moment of House is legitimately fun and hilarious.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Momotaros posted:

Lies, lies, lies. Every moment of House is legitimately fun and hilarious.

Agreed. Every time I watch House, I like it more and more.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is Shoah worth getting? With the sale and that coupon, it would only be $37 after tax. I've been interested in it for a while, but I rarely see anyone talk about it.

Shoah is one of the most depressing things I have ever watched. If you can get it cheap, get it. Its basically a bunch of interviews with holocaust survivors, concentration camp guards, and people connected to the situation. Its very long..huge. You will feel guilty but from either being too down or bored from experiencing so much of it you will probably have to leave it alone for awhile and finish it later.

Edit:I didn't care much for House either. I am really open to the whole "So bad it's good" type mindset. I haven't given up on it yet, only watched it once. I like the whole idea that it was specifically intended to combat American blockbusters like Jaws. Well that was the studio's aim. I have no loving clue what the director was trying to do.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 28, 2013

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Anyone else not being able to use the "BFRIDAY30" coupon code at Barnes & Noble? I'm trying to apply it online to Zatoichi and it's saying I'm ineligible - is it because I'm shipping to Canada?

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Awesome, thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

friendo55 posted:

Anyone else not being able to use the "BFRIDAY30" coupon code at Barnes & Noble? I'm trying to apply it online to Zatoichi and it's saying I'm ineligible - is it because I'm shipping to Canada?

Might be because it's not Friday yet.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Edit:I didn't care much for House either. I am really open to the whole "So bad it's good" type mindset. I haven't given up on it yet, only watched it once. I like the whole idea that it was specifically intended to combat American blockbusters like Jaws. Well that was the studio's aim. I have no loving clue what the director was trying to do.

House isn't "so bad it's good." It's legitimately masterful. Watch the film again and think to yourself "Could Ed Wood make this? Could Tommy Wiseau make this?" It's a brilliant piece of filmmaking.

edit: In the same line as House, Vera Chytilova's Daisies is an excellent precursor that make use of similar techniques. Although Daisies is born more out of the avant-garde movement whereas House is more because of Obayashi's history in making advertisements.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 28, 2013

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I don't deny the technical mastery of Obayashi. It's just what he uses it for that I dislike.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Might be because it's not Friday yet.

"This coupon is valid at BN.com from November 28, 2013 at 12:01am to December 2, 2013 at 2:59am Eastern Time, and at Barnes & Noble stores from November 28, 2013 to December 1, 2013 at close of business."

Perhaps it's simply an error on the bn.com website and won't take effect until Friday? You're probably right.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone have impressions on Youth of the Beast? I know Branded to Kill is the canonical one, but without having seen either, Youth sounds a little more interesting to me.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone have impressions on Youth of the Beast? I know Branded to Kill is the canonical one, but without having seen either, Youth sounds a little more interesting to me.

Youth is one of my favourites by Suzuki, it's like his film-noir version of Yojimbo. Definitely worth a look!

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I wish they'd make a Suzuki collection.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

friendo55 posted:

"This coupon is valid at BN.com from November 28, 2013 at 12:01am to December 2, 2013 at 2:59am Eastern Time, and at Barnes & Noble stores from November 28, 2013 to December 1, 2013 at close of business."

Perhaps it's simply an error on the bn.com website and won't take effect until Friday? You're probably right.

If it makes you feel any better, I tried using it on the BBS set and it won't work for that either.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Mercaptopropyl posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I tried using it on the BBS set and it won't work for that either.

First I thought I had to order at least two things but then read the fine print some more and found:

(vi) may not be combined with any other coupon or promotional discount

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Starscream posted:

Youth is one of my favourites by Suzuki, it's like his film-noir version of Yojimbo. Definitely worth a look!

That reminds me, I found a copy of Youth of the Beast at a garage sale for a dollar a while back but still haven't watched it. I should fix that.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

edit: gone

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 1, 2013

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Anatomy of a Murder and Island of Lost Souls are showing up as Amazon Lightning Deals today.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Hooooooly crap the Zatoichi set is amazing. Supplements, book, I've watched the first two films, it's nutballs great.

Old Ash
Dec 29, 2012
Blind-bought Tokyo Story, To Be or Not To Be, and Black Narcissus. Powell and Pressburger haven't led me wrong yet, and I'm hoping the first two are as good as everyone says they are.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I know the B&N sale is still going on, but I've got a few Criterions I'm trying to sell:

Last Year at Marienbad (Blu - digipak)
By Brakhage (Blu - sticker is on slipcase)
By Brakhage Vol. 1 (DVD)
Grand Illusion (DVD - Essential Art House)
Peeping Tom (DVD)

PM or email me (flickeringwindow @ gmail .com)

Also have some Masters of Cinema and Kino:

Tabu (original DVD - R0, PAL)
Diary of a Lost Girl (DVD - R0, PAL)
The Last Laugh/Der Letze Mann (DVD - R0, PAL)
Faust (2-disc DVD, R0, PAL)
Nosferatu (original 2-disc DVD, R0, PAL)
David Holzman's Diary (Blu)

edit: Added Peeping Tom

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 3, 2013

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
For those interested, apparently B&N is going to do a B1G1 sale with Criterions between 12/10 and 12/16.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
I have seen the first 8 Zatoichi films. Some are better than others but they are all good. Keep your eyes open, every one so far has at least one incredible shot or beautiful scene (often more).

The movies draw me in emotionally! I feel really bad when Zatoichi gets hosed with...people often treat him like poo poo or stab him in the back. I also found myself feeling happy, excited, angry, etc. I was expecting...well pulp movies. Something for my senses, action scene here, intense dialogue there...but it was much more.

I expected the quality to reflect the speed and number that they cranked them out at but each one is at least enjoyable and some are impressive. In 1964 they cranked out 4 of these. So any way you look at it I just don't see how that wouldn't hamper the quality BUT I am done with 3 out of 4 of the ones from 1964 and I honestly feel that each movie was treated with the utmost care. I think this is because of the rotating cast of directors mainly. However, I am excited as after 1964 there are 2 years where they released 3 films but most years just 2.

The series definitely has a formula but it is a case of "don't fix it if it's not broken...BUT lets see where we can take it". The first one is revered but I enjoyed some of the others better. They try to expand what a Zatoichi film is while following the formula, usually with interesting results. The saving grace is that, unlike other franchises with serial sequels, this one doesn't perpetually try to get bigger and bigger. The series tries to one up itself by exploring new ideas. The best way to describe this is that the situations he finds himself in are characters in themselves. So each movie makes an effort (moreso as the series progresses) to put Zatoichi in different situations.

The movie follows those involved in the situation and Zatoichi is this force that gets introduced into the equation and usually causes the situations to boil over one way or the other. Just him showing up starts a series of reactions, one way or the other that change the situation.

If you enjoy Samurai movies, the full price is worth it and you won't regret it.

If you are open to samurai movies but need some other elements in there. You will like it and won't regret if you found a deal.

If you just don't now, I think Hulu has them.

The packaging is Criterion so its top of the line. Picture is beautiful, sound is as good as can be (mono), and this is with them cramming 3 movies onto each Blu Ray disc. It also comes with the DVDs.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 9, 2013

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I don't have much to add to this, but I feel almost exactly as you do (though I've only been through 4). I expected to like these sight unseen, but they have been a joy so far. I'm not a very fast movie watcher and expected to maybe keep a pace of 2 a month. I've done 4 over the course of one of my busiest week and a half periods. It's easy to digest but not dumb or shoddily made. A Sunday afternoon film for any day so far.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion just announced their Paul Robeson box set is going OOP by the end of this month.

Probably due to rights since it has films from StudioCanal, Kino, Image, iTV, and Janus.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I just got hulu plus and I'm really excited to go through a lot of Criterion films. The problem is I'm overwhelmed by all the choices. Does anyone have a few good suggestions to get myself going?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Wezlar posted:

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I just got hulu plus and I'm really excited to go through a lot of Criterion films. The problem is I'm overwhelmed by all the choices. Does anyone have a few good suggestions to get myself going?

What kind of movies do you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

morestuff posted:

What kind of movies do you like?

I really love Kurosawa, and Samurai movies in general, which is how I discovered the criterion collection in the first place. But I'm trying to watch more classic american movies. I'm really interested in everything which is half the problem I guess. I should probably just start clicking on poo poo.