Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

BeastOfExmoor posted:

^ It might be harder in a place that actually has multiple Buteo species that can be seen in the summer, but I haven't had any issue seperating Swainson's from Red-Tailed Hawks in the field. In flight they have longer, thinner, more pointy wings.

Here's a great sneak preview of the Sibley Guide to Birds 2nd edition. I'm unreasonably excited about this.

Kawalimus, I know you're bummed about all your migrants being gone, but just to put things in perspective I just added my 12th warbler to my state list here in Washington. Yes, I had to chase a rarity to find twelve species of Warblers in my home state in my lifetime. That rare warbler that I had to chase three times before I found it? A Palm Warbler.

Palm Warblers are one of the common ones around here when they come through. I like that about birding how when you're in one place something is common but if you see it in another place and/or time then it's rare and a great sighting. I can't imagine that few warblers though. At some of the good warblers spots here on migration I can get in the 20's. Some guy got 29 in one day one time at that place this year.

I'll trade you some warblers for a Varied Thrush!! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
There's a pretty sweet warbler in Berkeley right now: Painted Redstart. Hope it stayed through the rain this week!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've been thinking of upgrading from my National Geographic Birds of North America Third Edition, that looks pretty nice. Ideally I'd like something with a more rigid cover, my book has been getting beat up lately - I tend to toss it into the back of the car and sooner or later my 500mm rolls onto it or my tripod or a water bottle or...

Edit instead of doublepost:

GANNETCAM!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnzBXKYre0g

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 21, 2013

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Anyone else received a copy of the BTO's Britain & Ireland Bird Atlas? It's half a dead tree!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Anyone know any good places within reasonable driving distance of St Petersburg, Florida area in mid February? I am looking for places mostly within two hours of that. There's some places I would consider driving 3 hours to if my friend will help me drive but not by myself.

I already have done research and have a bunch of ideas but if someone is around with better knowledge maybe I could incorporate it. Everything is gonna change too depending on what rarities might be occurring around the time I am there.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
When I was there 18 months ago (in June) I really enjoyed Lettuce Lake Park near Tampa, but I suspect there's plenty of places just as good a lot closer to where you're going to be. I know you say you don't care, but the fact that you're just a few weeks too early to see a Swallow-Tailed Kite breaks my heart.

Lurking in the NFL N/V thread it looks like you're going to chase the MacGillivray's that's out that way? Good luck, if so.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Anyone else received a copy of the BTO's Britain & Ireland Bird Atlas? It's half a dead tree!

British birding is kind of incredible to me because it's so much more popular there then here. The fact that there's enough demand to create a book like that. Many states in the US have similar titles, but they're way less inclusive and hard to keep in print. We also still have lots of "mystery birds" whose breeding locations and occurrence is not well known. Washington's local guides contain lots of phrases like, "Probably occurs near the cascade crest."

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

When I was there 18 months ago (in June) I really enjoyed Lettuce Lake Park near Tampa, but I suspect there's plenty of places just as good a lot closer to where you're going to be. I know you say you don't care, but the fact that you're just a few weeks too early to see a Swallow-Tailed Kite breaks my heart.

Lurking in the NFL N/V thread it looks like you're going to chase the MacGillivray's that's out that way? Good luck, if so.

I'm a little nervous about the MacGillivray's since it's been there for a week. And it's also an immature female(last I've heard) and not an adult male. But for a warbler I just can't resist. I was in the Sierra Nevada some years ago and think I saw one of these foraging down low but my family wasn't keen on letting me stick around and get an ID on it. So I want to erase being upset over Mac's once and for all. There's also a Ross's Goose hanging around that area according to the listserv I read, and I missed one that had been hanging around for weeks in Baltimore County by ONE DAY!!! this past March. So I hope to correct both these!

I know I am a little early for Swallow-tail but in the end not too upset because they are occurring more and more in MD. There was one this past week a couple counties over that stayed for quite a while. And I just barely missed one fly over at North Point State Park this past spring, it did so about 3 hours after I left that day. I think I read from someone that they are expanding their range northward, so I am fairly confident that I will see a Swallow-tailed Kite in the next couple years. I could also get an early one down in FL, who knows :)

The only thing I am upset at being too early for is Swainson's Warbler. One of these years I'm gonna have to go to the Great Dismal Swamp.

I have a certain list of birds I want to see so really only I can plan this thing I guess. I have four days to work with. And some of the birds aren't necessarily what you'd think I'd be going down to see. Yeah I want to see a Spoonbill and should have no problem with that. But another bird on my list of birds to see? Sedge Wren!! And I know where to go for this at this time.

Also I want to try for a Red-Cockaded. Leaning toward going for Burrowing Owl too. Hopefully a Vermillion(MALE!) and/or Scissor-tailed is hanging out nearby.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 27, 2013

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Central Florida makes me think Florida Scrub Jay, Limpkin, Crested Caracara, Wood Stork... Maybe there's an ebird hotspot that has all of those close to Tampa? Last time I was there I flew into Tampa, but didn't start birding until closer to Sanibel/Naples.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I was in and around Tampa at the beginning of this month. I hadn't done any research, and my vacation there involved a rented car (hilariously, a V-6 Camaro convertible - which was actually cool for seeing birds while driving with the top down), a friend, and hapazardly-chosen state parks.

Florida's state parks are excellent. Besides a day in Big Cypress National Preserve (40 minutes east of Naples), we hit up Charlotte Harbor, Highlands Hammock, Paynes Creek, and Hillsborough River. We tried to get to Allen David Broussard Catfish Creek but missed a turn somewhere, so no Scrub Jays, sadly.
We would have visited Fakahatchee Strand if we hadn't been eager to get back to Ft. Myers before sunset to hit the beach near our hotel, as we zipped by on Tamiami (Hwy 41) it *looked* good.

Just off the top of my head, we saw many Limpkins, Herons of every description (Florida has so many different species!), Anhingas, Cormorants, several hawks I haven't had a chance to try to ID yet, lots of Belted Kingfishers, Black Vultures, Turkey Vultures, and little birdies I will probably utterly fail at IDing when I get around to trying, but they weren't the ubiquitous House Sparrow (OK, yes, we did see some of those, too). And one Wood Stork getting chased through a Waffle House parking lot by a little girl (along with many gulls, of course).

Florida is fantastic for birding. And there's plenty of other wildlife, too, like zillions of cool little lizards, turtles, and of course alligators.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Central Florida makes me think Florida Scrub Jay, Limpkin, Crested Caracara, Wood Stork... Maybe there's an ebird hotspot that has all of those close to Tampa? Last time I was there I flew into Tampa, but didn't start birding until closer to Sanibel/Naples.

I've looked at Ebird and pretty much know where I am going to go. I was just wondering if anyone had any more "secret"-ish ideas. But like I said really only I can plan this because I have my own little weighted scale. And things could change for example if there's a Whooping Crane occurring nearby I will probably go after it.

Limpkin I actually saw around Disney World when I was a kid. This is one of what I call my "lost birds". Birds I saw when I was a kid I don't have a date for and haven't seen since so they're not on my Ebird life list. I look forward to recovering this lost bird when I go there. Crested Caracara I thought would be easy but according to ebird research it's probably unlikely. Wood Stork I've seen before in pretty big numbers at this place called Huntington Beach in SC. But I will be happy to see them again. Snail Kite is possible, if maybe unlikely. Hope to find a Purple Gallinule or three. Florida Scrub-Jay is on my list for sure. Bachman's Sparrow if one is occurring.

If I do this right I can bag a ton of life birds. I just gotta be careful and not overreach or stress about certain ones.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I'm spending 4 days birding in the Rio Grande Valley at the very southern tip of Texas. I was here for a day about 5 years ago and I always wanted to return. I hit a couple of "World Birding Center" spots today and bagged 6 lifers already! None of those are even uncommon birds around here.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

I'm spending 4 days birding in the Rio Grande Valley at the very southern tip of Texas. I was here for a day about 5 years ago and I always wanted to return. I hit a couple of "World Birding Center" spots today and bagged 6 lifers already! None of those are even uncommon birds around here.

Amazon Kingfisher wasn't day 1, stop 1 for you? I would love to visit that area sometime. I worked a week in San Antonio when I first started birding and had a free weekend, but pissed it away because I didn't really know where to go or what to look for. I think my lifers were Field Sparrow and Orange-Crowned Warbler, which is especially laughable since I get them every year in my yard now that I know to check my Hawthorne tree every day in May.

Kawalimus posted:

I've looked at Ebird and pretty much know where I am going to go. I was just wondering if anyone had any more "secret"-ish ideas. But like I said really only I can plan this because I have my own little weighted scale. And things could change for example if there's a Whooping Crane occurring nearby I will probably go after it.

Limpkin I actually saw around Disney World when I was a kid. This is one of what I call my "lost birds". Birds I saw when I was a kid I don't have a date for and haven't seen since so they're not on my Ebird life list. I look forward to recovering this lost bird when I go there. Crested Caracara I thought would be easy but according to ebird research it's probably unlikely. Wood Stork I've seen before in pretty big numbers at this place called Huntington Beach in SC. But I will be happy to see them again. Snail Kite is possible, if maybe unlikely. Hope to find a Purple Gallinule or three. Florida Scrub-Jay is on my list for sure. Bachman's Sparrow if one is occurring.

If I do this right I can bag a ton of life birds. I just gotta be careful and not overreach or stress about certain ones.

It can be totally overwhelming to hit a place with a ton of birds to target. When I was at the Salton Sea for a day in January I had printouts of ebird maps and listserv messages. I ended up completely missing most of the endemic birds (All the Thrashers, Black Tailed Gnatcatcher) and chasing a lot of "common" birds with my time, which I regret. Common birds being species that I could get in my state with a little work and patience. I spent a lot of time looking for an American Redstart, for instance, because those are rare as poo poo where I live. I did find a male Vermilion Flycatcher at that spot, a lifer as well, so not exactly something I should complain about.

I also have a bunch of "lost birds" from when I went to Hawaii a few years ago. Nene, some sort of tropicbird, whatever their Frigatebird is over there, as well as at least one endemic and a bunch of introduced species have never made it on my list.

Looks like the east coast is getting Snowy Owls this year. We've had them in incredible numbers the last two years, so I can't complain, but it is a little sad to not have them hanging around this year as well.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

British birding is kind of incredible to me because it's so much more popular there then here. The fact that there's enough demand to create a book like that. Many states in the US have similar titles, but they're way less inclusive and hard to keep in print. We also still have lots of "mystery birds" whose breeding locations and occurrence is not well known. Washington's local guides contain lots of phrases like, "Probably occurs near the cascade crest."
Well, a combination of popularity and overpopulation. It's easier to do a systematic search when you have almost nothing that approaches wilderness any more. I'd trade the bird atlas for a Yellowstone.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It can be totally overwhelming to hit a place with a ton of birds to target. When I was at the Salton Sea for a day in January I had printouts of ebird maps and listserv messages. I ended up completely missing most of the endemic birds (All the Thrashers, Black Tailed Gnatcatcher) and chasing a lot of "common" birds with my time, which I regret. Common birds being species that I could get in my state with a little work and patience. I spent a lot of time looking for an American Redstart, for instance, because those are rare as poo poo where I live. I did find a male Vermilion Flycatcher at that spot, a lifer as well, so not exactly something I should complain about.

I also have a bunch of "lost birds" from when I went to Hawaii a few years ago. Nene, some sort of tropicbird, whatever their Frigatebird is over there, as well as at least one endemic and a bunch of introduced species have never made it on my list.

Looks like the east coast is getting Snowy Owls this year. We've had them in incredible numbers the last two years, so I can't complain, but it is a little sad to not have them hanging around this year as well.

Definitely on the lookout for the Snowy Owl sightings. I wonder will this go on through the winter? If so I won't rush it. I'm invited on an eastern shore CBC late next month so hopefully they're still around then. But hopefully one comes even closer than that.

Regarding your "lost birds", you can get them on your ebird list if you have any dates of when you were there. I actually "recovered" a bunch of these by finding records of the dates of past trips and listing sightings as incidentals(which is part of what that selection is supposed to be used for). So I was able to put in for those past dates and places what I saw. You could get your Nene on there if you can remember/find the dates and remember where you saw the bird on that day.

I saw my MacGillivray's today!! It was so cooperative it was unbelievable!! At first when I heard about this I was kind of disappointed cause I'd like to see the adult male of course, but this bird is beautiful in its own right. Glad I made the trip.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 28, 2013

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

Well, a combination of popularity and overpopulation. It's easier to do a systematic search when you have almost nothing that approaches wilderness any more. I'd trade the bird atlas for a Yellowstone.

Indeed. Occasionally I get jealous of places (or even neighboring counties) with higher populations and a few really well known birding spots that end up getting a high proportion of rare birds, but when you think about it it's the same as saying that I wish they'd build my area up so there was practically no habitat left and the birds only had one or two parks to go to.

Kawalimus posted:

Definitely on the lookout for the Snowy Owl sightings. I wonder will this go on through the winter? If so I won't rush it. I'm invited on an eastern shore CBC late next month so hopefully they're still around then. But hopefully one comes even closer than that.

Regarding your "lost birds", you can get them on your ebird list if you have any dates of when you were there. I actually "recovered" a bunch of these by finding records of the dates of past trips and listing sightings as incidentals(which is part of what that selection is supposed to be used for). So I was able to put in for those past dates and places what I saw. You could get your Nene on there if you can remember/find the dates and remember where you saw the bird on that day.

I saw my MacGillivray's today!! It was so cooperative it was unbelievable!!

Snowy Owls out on the west coast have typically found spots they like and stayed there. Typically these have been beaches or large open agricultural areas, but we had a couple that spent a few months roosting on peoples houses a few miles from downtown Seattle. If there are any somewhat close I'd probably jump on it, but I don't know that I'd cancel plans to drive a few hours to go see one.

Congrats on the MacGillivray's!

I can probably figure out the dates (or come really close), but I didn't even have binoculars, much less a field guide, so a lot of the birds I saw are like, "I was driving by a large field and there was some sort of shorebird there. Looking at eBird I'm guessing it was a Pacific Golden Plover." Seems like a crappy way to get a lifer. I could probably go through and add the birds I saw close and well like the Red-Crested Cardinal, Common Myna, or this Nene that let me photograph it with a 50mm lens:

Nene by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Kawalimus posted:

Anyone know any good places within reasonable driving distance of St Petersburg, Florida area in mid February? I am looking for places mostly within two hours of that. There's some places I would consider driving 3 hours to if my friend will help me drive but not by myself.

I already have done research and have a bunch of ideas but if someone is around with better knowledge maybe I could incorporate it. Everything is gonna change too depending on what rarities might be occurring around the time I am there.

I'm in Estero and like to hit up Ding Darling, Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, and Six Mile Cypress Slough. I think most of the cool migratory birds start leaving late February - early March, but I don't remember for sure (I've been slacking... a lot). It's just outside of our 2 hour mark, but give them a look.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Amazon Kingfisher wasn't day 1, stop 1 for you? I would love to visit that area sometime. I worked a week in San Antonio when I first started birding and had a free weekend, but pissed it away because I didn't really know where to go or what to look for. I think my lifers were Field Sparrow and Orange-Crowned Warbler, which is especially laughable since I get them every year in my yard now that I know to check my Hawthorne tree every day in May.

Oh, I got the Amazon Kingfisher but it wasn't a life bird for me. :smug: But seriously, I saw some in Mexico about 5 years ago but it was cool to see the 2nd reported US bird.

There is a little city park here in Brownsville, basketball courts, picnic area, swimming pool, etc..., totally ordinary. Every evening around sunset a raucous racket is heard in the sky and a flock of over 100 parrots descends to roost for the night. I was there for it tonight and it was quite a show. The only "list" parrot is the Red-crowned and they made up the majority of the flock. In addition, there were about a dozen Red-lored and 4 Yellow-headed Parrots. There are supposedly Lilac-crowned and White-fronted parrots in there too but I didn't see or recognize any. Also there was one Rose-ringed Parakeet flying around with them. The oddballs are probably escapees but it was fun to see them anyway.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

I saw my MacGillivray's today!! It was so cooperative it was unbelievable!! At first when I heard about this I was kind of disappointed cause I'd like to see the adult male of course, but this bird is beautiful in its own right. Glad I made the trip.

Did you get a burrowing owl yet? I grew up in FL and when I we ran track against a neighboring school we couldn't do long jump there because burrowing owls had moved into their sandpit!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Burrowing owls are so funny. I used to work with prairie dogs and the owls use their old burrows for nests, so we saw them every day. They always came out of the burrows and circled around us, yelling at us.

This summer one of my co-workers found a county record burrowing owl nest, and put a trail cam on it. He got videos of the owls doing really cool stuff. Bringing food back, bobbing their heads around and dancing, going in and out of the hole, etc. They only raised one chick which was pretty odd since they can lay like 14 eggs.

I saw my favorite bird today. Loggerhead shrike!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Did you get a burrowing owl yet? I grew up in FL and when I we ran track against a neighboring school we couldn't do long jump there because burrowing owls had moved into their sandpit!

I haven't yet, but I hopefully will when I go to Florida. Looks like I might have to drive a ways to see them(unless people don't report them which is understandable and often done with owls) but I've also read they're one of those grassland birds that just isn't doing so well. So I'd better see these guys while I can.

Loggerhead is another one I should be able to get down there.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I haven't been birding much lately because I've been so fascinated watching the birds outside my window.

My husband and I set up a bunch of feeding stations outside our front door. There's a feeder of thistle seeds, a feeder of generic bird seed mix, and then we have 6 very large logs about 4 foot tall that we've set standing up around our porch, and we've been putting the seed mix and sunflower seeds on top of them. So the birds basically have to stand right in the open to get the food and we can see them really well because everything is maybe 10 feet from the house, max. We live out in the country so we have a lot of birds.

The Blue Jays come to the logs and stuff their gullets completely full with sunflower seeds. There will be 8-10 there at a time. One has a bright white streak on his belly and seems to be the "leader". They will also make alarm calls and imitate a red-tailed hawk to scare the other birds off, then fly right down and steal all the seeds. Smart little bastards! I don't know where they go with the seeds but they're stashing them somewhere far away.

Then we have this Red-bellied Woodpecker who I don't think is too bright. The feeding logs still have bark on the sides and he will take a single sunflower seed and stuff it into the bark. Now these logs are dead and the bark peels off really easily so he's going to lose all of those seeds. When he does take the seeds away, he puts them in the tree right by the feeder. So he will pick up a single seed, fly to the tree, find a place to put it, then come back and do it all over again. I just think it's funny how he only grabs one seed at a time.

I was sitting on the porch yesterday taking pictures of some stuff to sell and wasn't really paying attention to the birds, and amazingly they were coming to the food like I wasn't even there. There are TONS of Harris's Sparrows, Chickadees, Juncos, Cardinals, Goldfinches, and Cedar Waxwings, although those guys don't come to the seed, they just sit in the tops of the trees and watch the action.

How many of you guys really watch birds? Like, have you ever just set your binoculars one bird and watched it for an hour? I have, many times. If you sit and stay awhile, the birds stop caring that you're there and you can see their behaviors in a very natural state. You might not see a great variety of birds this way but you will get to know a bird very well if you do this. They are so much more complex than we give them credit for. Each one is unique and has a personality. Each one makes a slightly different sound. Each one is predictable in its own special set of behaviors. They are really fascinating.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

razz posted:

The Blue Jays come to the logs and stuff their gullets completely full with sunflower seeds. There will be 8-10 there at a time. One has a bright white streak on his belly and seems to be the "leader". They will also make alarm calls and imitate a red-tailed hawk to scare the other birds off, then fly right down and steal all the seeds. Smart little bastards! I don't know where they go with the seeds but they're stashing them somewhere far away.

Interesting. Sellers Jays do this impression as well, but I've never seen them use it in this manner. When the Jays come to the feeder everyone else gets out of the way.

I've been really enjoying my feeders this fall as well. We've had the best diversity I can remember and high counts of almost everything. I counted 15+ Bushtits on my suet at once last week :3:

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Interesting. Sellers Jays do this impression as well, but I've never seen them use it in this manner. When the Jays come to the feeder everyone else gets out of the way.

I've been really enjoying my feeders this fall as well. We've had the best diversity I can remember and high counts of almost everything. I counted 15+ Bushtits on my suet at once last week :3:

I want to put out suet, but when I went to the store all they had was blocks of suet... and not a single suet holder. What the heck! I am going to the farm store today to see if they have what I want. Seriously, how do you have an entire wall/display of suet blocks and NO holders?

I am reading a book right now "What the Robin Knows" and the author said he has witnessed Blue Jays giving the hawk fake-out to scare the other birds away. What's funny is I had never heard of that happening and I read it in the book just a couple hours after I saw the Blue Jay do it outside my window.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Snowy Owls are going bananas! One of them showed up by Ft McHenry today! Just hope there's some around at the weekend!!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Kawalimus posted:

The Snowy Owls are going bananas! One of them showed up by Ft McHenry today! Just hope there's some around at the weekend!!

There were quite a few snowy sightings (Kansas) in early 2012 and I got lucky enough to see one and snap a couple decent photos. These were taken around January 4, 2012.

Someone actually found an injured one and turned it over to the nature center, but it died. I was told that a lot of these Snowys that come way down south in the winter end up dying; they come down south because of the cyclical lemming populations up north crash periodically and sends them farther and farther south in search for food, which wears them out.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the Snowy Owls are mainly an Eastern/Great Lakes invasion so far. C'mon, send some out west!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

razz posted:

Someone actually found an injured one and turned it over to the nature center, but it died. I was told that a lot of these Snowys that come way down south in the winter end up dying; they come down south because of the cyclical lemming populations up north crash periodically and sends them farther and farther south in search for food, which wears them out.

Yeah, any time you see some major thing like this it's probably due to food shortages. What I read is that Greenland expects to lose their entire population eventually due to lemming population crashes in large part due to climate change. Definitely something to lower your excitement levels while you enjoy these birds :(. The owl at the fort was reportedly being harassed like hell by gulls and even a Peregrine Falcon.

There was a big Razorbill irruption even into Florida last year that probably means bad things I was reading on ebird. You have to enjoy it while you can.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

There have been a couple Snowy Owls in Washington this week but nothing like the last couple of years.

I put together this gig of sightings in November for the last eight years to show the incredible difference there is between years and regions:
http://i.imgur.com/93OEG6K.gif

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I was helping my lab mate set out some bird specimens for a class and this really cute old man just kind of wandered in and started looking at the birds, so I figured I'd tell him what they were. He didn't believe that the Screech Owl was a real species, he couldn't fathom there was an owl that small. He thought it must be a baby owl :3:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I felt like that when I first saw Pygmy owls in Mexico.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Last year my ornithology lab students did a comparative anatomy dissection. Basically they all dissected a different species that people had brought into us as roadkill/window strikes, etc. In various stages of decomposition.

Anyway I always try to salvage parts for the museum after the dissection and I was amazed at how large this Great Horned Owl's foot was compared to my hand. I mean, I know they're big birds but when you actually have one there in front of you, it's pretty incredible! That thing could literally kill you if it wanted to I bet.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

razz posted:

Last year my ornithology lab students did a comparative anatomy dissection. Basically they all dissected a different species that people had brought into us as roadkill/window strikes, etc. In various stages of decomposition.

Anyway I always try to salvage parts for the museum after the dissection and I was amazed at how large this Great Horned Owl's foot was compared to my hand. I mean, I know they're big birds but when you actually have one there in front of you, it's pretty incredible! That thing could literally kill you if it wanted to I bet.

Big and incredibly strong. I got to do some rehab flights with a great horned back in college and if it grabbed onto something you didn't want it to, it really took almost all your strength to pry its talons apart. Plus they have some weird ratchety thing with their foot tendons.

Also amazing: how 60 crows will instantly appear out of nowhere to harass the poor guy when you're trying to fly him in a field.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Crows are like elephants, they never forget (or forgive), and they go a step further and tell their friends to hate you too.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/zoo-animals/angry-crows-memory-life-threatening-behavior-110628.htm

I'd be willing to bet your owl friend ate / attacked a crow or two

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

I felt like that when I first saw Pygmy owls in Mexico.

Seriously. Screech Owls are practically massive compared to Pygmy-Owls and Saw-Whet Owls.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

So Cyclone Bodil has made a mess of all the coastal nature reserves on the Norfolk coast. Relatively rare habitat is now under sea water.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

After failing to see Snowy Owls closer to home yesterday, my wife and I drove farther out to Parker River NWR in MA today, and saw at least four different Snowy Owls. I was at 98 birds on my life list, spotted some Gadwalls for number 99, putting the Snowy Owl at 100. People are estimating that there are at least 18 different owls there. My piddly 300mm lens didn't cut it for getting good shots, but here are a few of heavily cropped ones. I was insanely jealous of all of the expensive glass on display today.

Snowy Owl [Bubo scandiacus] by EPICAC, on Flickr

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Oh man that's great. I'm hopeful that this year's Christmas count will finally bring a snowy into the mix. Speaking of, who here does their local Christmas count?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm doing the two closest to me (Oakland and Central Contra Costa County). First up is the Oakland circle- I'm on my same fav sub-territory where we got 115 species last year! I think word is getting around that it's a good one because there are so many people we are going to split up for most of the day (which probably means I'll see less, oh well). Someone's going to have a nice treat, since the Painted Redstart in Berkeley is still hanging out.

The following weekend is Contra Costa County- it's a much more mellow count (or at least our territory leader is not as hard core). Still we get into some neat places like some normally closed sanitary district land where we almost always see coyotes and cackling geese.

LikeABell
Apr 29, 2005

more like taiwan
Lots of Snowys here in NYC and Long Island these days. Unfortunately, JFK Airport is starting to shoot them: http://10000birds.com/snowy-owls-being-shot-at-jfk-airport.htm. We got one in at our wildilfe hospital recently that was injured by jet blast (or something of that sort) at LaGuardia. The wildlife biologists there found him and saved him. Very sad stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Pretty much any bird that lands on an airport runway gets shot. I have a friend that works for APHIS and his entire job description is shooting birds that get on the runways. Raptors, waterfowl, shorebirds, tiny little warblers, literally anything.