Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DivisionPost posted:

I love the show but it's honestly not worth defending.

I love it too, and voicing any complaint in that thread turned into people throwing a tantrum about it.

I'm over it now, and things seem to shifted back to a more reasonable discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What happened to Korra getting really really good this season like everyone was saying not long back?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bown posted:

What happened to Korra getting really really good this season like everyone was saying not long back?

It went back to Korra and everyone else after the two-parter about the first Avatar.

It's essentially half a season of really bad television and then half a season of "OK" television, with the two halves separated by two episodes of really good television. Even the "OK" half still has a lot of bad stuff in it. Some people are forgiving toward it because it had a pretty finale.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

A large amount of episodes near the beginning/middle which just weren't good (mostly around the Civil War). They also really made a large amount of the cast unlikeable just so they could prop up, like, one character, it was ridiculous. And even the good episodes have more than their fair share of stupid tropes.

That said, even if you don't enjoy Korra generally, or if you did enjoy Avatar, there's a handful of episodes I think are worth watching (at least the Beginnings episodes if you otherwise can't stand Korra).

I think the best way to get a lot out of it is to binge it as a popcorn show, honestly. I've heard mixed reviews about how people liked the ending, but hopefully it'll at least open up the world a little bit and get them away from the constrained plotlines.

Also, I had to really think about who PriorMarcus was in that thread with the different avatar; that's pretty funny if it was because of the Korra thread.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

There was a really good two parter in the middle of the season that raised expectations among Korra fans that maybe, just maybe, the second half of the season wouldn't be as bad as the first half. It wasn't, but at the same time it wasn't the improvement fans were hoping for. The first half of the season was terrible and boring. The second half was terrible and stupid. Korra literally turns into a giant, purple monster and has a monster battle over Tokyo Republic City in the finale. Like I said, terrible and stupid.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Korra literally turns into a giant, purple monster and has a monster battle over Tokyo Republic City in the finale. Like I said, terrible and stupid.

More bizarrely people thought this was a perfectly fine way for the season to end, and even defended the guy who called himself a "dark Avatar" as being a well fleshed out and understandable character so we had pages and pages of this;

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I am moved to tears.

About a badly executed cartoon.

The real shame is that Korra could be so much more if it even got close to the quality of Avatar, but some people just want to tune out the flaws and pretend it already is.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 28, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the music is really good and makes you forget that what's happening on the screen is straight out of an anime.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the music is really good and makes you forget that what's happening on the screen is straight out of an anime.

Holy poo poo year the music is still on top form. In fact for the last few episodes everything about Korra ranged from good to amazing except for the writing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bown posted:

Internet people can't handle things that aren't THE BEST or THE WORST thing ever so stupid spergy arguments ensue and take over everything.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't know if it's Korra or Doctor Who that earned me this AV, but I actually kind of like Sesame Street more than the recent output of either so gently caress it, I'm good.

That avatar is pretty awesome.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The Absolute Worst:

"Nice Guy" incarnate. I'm rapidly approaching "why in the actual gently caress am I watching this poo poo?" status but I'm not quite there yet. I have a pathological need to see how bad this trainwreck gets but I fear for my screen.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't know if it's Korra or Doctor Who that earned me this AV, but I actually kind of like Sesame Street more than the recent output of either so gently caress it, I'm good.

Doom Goon posted:

Also, I had to really think about who PriorMarcus was in that thread with the different avatar; that's pretty funny if it was because of the Korra thread.

It was bought in a fit of Doctor Who thread-induced grumpiness.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: just ignore this whole dang post. alternatively, it's a happy thanksgiving wish to all american tvivers!

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 28, 2013

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

That avatar is pretty awesome.

My last one, the Mad Men was due a change any way.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It was bought in a fit of Doctor Who thread-induced grumpiness.

Hahaha, were cool man. At least it's not a big dick or something.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PriorMarcus posted:

The Korra thread really did turn into a poo poo hole though, which is why I'm going to make the thread for Book Three and hope it tones down the hyperbole of a certain someone.

Oh great you summoned him here.

Also your body will be found stabbed to death if you try to wrest control of that op from him just fyi Marcus, better start drafting that will

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Occupation posted:

Oh great you summoned him here.

Also your body will be found stabbed to death if you try to wrest control of that op from him just fyi Marcus, better start drafting that will

I going to leave my Korra fan fiction to ImpAtom.

Everything else I own is going to be buried with me.

EDIT: In other news how was the last season of Suburgatory? I watched all of Season One but never felt motivated to carry on, despite loving some of the humour. Does it reach it's full potential, or?

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 28, 2013

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cactus posted:

The Absolute Worst:

"Nice Guy" incarnate. I'm rapidly approaching "why in the actual gently caress am I watching this poo poo?" status but I'm not quite there yet. I have a pathological need to see how bad this trainwreck gets but I fear for my screen.

I don't have a clue who that is or what show you're talking about.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

EDIT: In other news how was the last season of Suburgatory? I watched all of Season One but never felt motivated to carry on, despite loving some of the humour. Does it reach it's full potential, or?

The second season moved away from the first season's broad characterization of suburbia in an attempt to develop and deepen its supporting cast. While this change made some characters more likable (Dalia), it also made them less funny. It also has the weird effect of making Tessa look really bad. Tessa's pessimism towards suburban life makes sense against the context of the weird and cartoony nature of Chattswin in the first season. Against the more realistic and human context of season two, though, Tessa just comes off like a huge bitch. Seeing as she's the main character and star of the show, that's not a good thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

what, are you stupid? OBVIOUSLY it's....no, I have no idea either

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Against the more realistic and human context of season two, though, Tessa just comes off like a huge bitch. Seeing as she's the main character and star of the show, that's not a good thing.

This is not the direction I expected things to go in. Think I'll leave it for now then.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Hahaha, were cool man. At least it's not a big dick or something.

:cheers:

I tried to keep it light-hearted and funny.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With the parade on in the background while I help with the cooking, I have to say that every time I see a promo for NBC's "Sound of Music: Live" or whatever, I keep thinking it's some sort of 30 Rock gag.

It doesn't help that Carrie Underwood looks a little like Jane Krakowski, and that I think I'm at the point where I need glasses.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if this is something wrong on our end or the channels but we're watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and for some reason all of the commercials you can hear everything but voices.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
If I was Matt Lauer, I'd need alcohol for some of these painful promotional plugs.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

The Secret Life of the American Teenager, see my previous couple of posts.

My advice so far: Don't watch this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey just a reminder that the MST3K Turkey Day live thing just started!

http://www.mst3kturkeyday.com/mst3k/marathon.html

They're actually starting with a Mike episode! From the Sci Fi Channel seasons! I think it's "Laserblast"? It's a really good one, anyway.

e: Oh it's "Space Mutiny".

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shame on you for not recognizing Space Mutiny.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

The Korra thread really did turn into a poo poo hole though, which is why I'm going to make the thread for Book Three and hope it tones down the hyperbole of a certain someone.

Sesame Street owns though

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sesame Street owns though

The Sesame Street float in the Macy's parade blew my kids' minds. They were like, THEY'RE ALL REAL?!?! They called Oscar the Garbage Can Guy though.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

PriorMarcus posted:

This is not the direction I expected things to go in. Think I'll leave it for now then.

You do realize whose advice you're following, right?

He's right about Tessa being the worst character on the show along with George (who also dragged Dallas down with him), but everybody else is still hilarious and insane, especially Dalia and the Shays, so it's still a net win. Remember, whenever Irish Joe gives any sort of advice the only course of action is to do the exact opposite.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Happy thanksgiving y'all :) I'm going to wrap mine up by watching some more Twin Peaks, reading, and steeling myself to work Black Friday :black101:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I going to leave my Korra fan fiction to ImpAtom.

Everything else I own is going to be buried with me.

I'd say no, but I've always thought Suburgatory has a really odd rhythm to it anyways? It went to some weird places last season, and I remember the reviews I read at the time seemed to reflect the week-by-week quality thing. Regardless of last season, I also remember reading about some news which doesn't look promising (shortened season to 13, moved to midseason, although they also ordered a pilot by the creator for a reimaging of My Fair Lady). They also trimmed the ensemble cast due to the new contract cuts (probably also reducing others to reoccuring), and one of the people on the show took a role in a picked up pilot. It's not my favorite comedy/drama mix, but all that said I'm still looking forward to the next, probably last, season oddly enough.

Also, would've been :wtc: and funny if your av come from the Korra thread, but it's still an awesome one either way.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They should stop trying to put shows after Modern Family. It never works.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Can someone explain to me why everyone won't shut up about Korra even though mentioning literally any other anime that exists* gets met with disdain at best?

I mean, I'm honestly curious, but not enough to watch the drat show.

* except Cowboy Bebop, of course

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

Can someone explain to me why everyone won't shut up about Korra even though mentioning literally any other anime that exists* gets met with disdain at best?

Korra is American.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Korra isn't American and is anime. :unsmigghh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Transformers is anime :kheldragar:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cowboy Bebop sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Alright cool guys but this isn't GBS, I honestly want someone to sell me on the show, because I don't get it.

• Locked thread