Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I wish more games journalism was like Amiga Power with bizarre concept reviews and constant surreal digressions.

http://amr.abime.net/review_742

Basically what PC Gamer turned into over the millennium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Daimo posted:

Basically what PC Gamer turned into over the millennium.

Guess which ex-AP staffers were working at PCG over the millennium? I'll wait.

(IS HAULED BODILY OUT OF THREAD AND CAST INTO A DITCH.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This has to be a candidate for Best Obsolete Arcade Game:

Not particularly unusual, but then you watch this gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVmJbLb4XuY

It was the first perspecitve-driven vertical scrolling video game, and it was smooth as hell.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jedit posted:

It was the first perspecitve-driven vertical scrolling video game, and it was smooth as hell.
I hate to burst your bubble, but that doesn't really mean anything. It's "perspective-driven" in the sense that the playfield is distorted for a 3D effect and that it uses a crosshair instead of a "player" sprite, but neither of those were unprecedented in 1978 (maybe the combination was, but that just sounds like meaningless specificity to present it as the "first" of some arbitrary kind), and "vertical scrolling" is completely superfluous. And there's no reason for a game that uses these techniques to not run smoothly; even the measly 2600 was able to pull off a less-detailed equivalent in its Pole Position port, and that's without the specialized hardware that the video mentions (which is probably a limiting factor, given that the simulated viewpoint never changes).

Still impressive for 1978, but more for its creativity than for any technical innovation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I hate to burst your bubble, but that doesn't really mean anything. It's "perspective-driven" in the sense that the playfield is distorted for a 3D effect and that it uses a crosshair instead of a "player" sprite, but neither of those were unprecedented in 1978 (maybe the combination was, but that just sounds like meaningless specificity to present it as the "first" of some arbitrary kind), and "vertical scrolling" is completely superfluous. And there's no reason for a game that uses these techniques to not run smoothly; even the measly 2600 was able to pull off a less-detailed equivalent in its Pole Position port, and that's without the specialized hardware that the video mentions (which is probably a limiting factor, given that the simulated viewpoint never changes).

Still impressive for 1978, but more for its creativity than for any technical innovation.

There was actually a lot of technical innovation in Sky Raider. Several patents were filed for the hardware used in the game.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

minato posted:

Oh, so that's what the Justice - DVNO video was paying tribute to.

A few parts of that video are direct references to a 1983 HBO promo which is a technical tour-de-force of model-making, visual and special effects techniques that are mostly obsolete these days thanks to digital technologies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agS6ZXBrcng

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I suspect most if not all of the segments in the DVNO video are referencing specific ads or logos—I recognized at least a third of them.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Lazlo Nibble posted:

The second half uses Yellow Magic Orchestra's "Rydeen". YMO's videos from Solid State Survivor were drenched in Scanimate graphics.
That was what I first thought when I saw images from it, the video for Rydeen with that awesome space keyboard :allears:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

A few parts of that video are direct references to a 1983 HBO promo which is a technical tour-de-force of model-making, visual and special effects techniques that are mostly obsolete these days thanks to digital technologies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agS6ZXBrcng

Wow! I don't remember the model city, but I do remember the HBO logo floating in space and the twirling light trails in the O. I would have never thought that was made with a physical fiber optics jig the way it was. The amount of work that went into that intro is ridiculous.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jedit posted:

There was actually a lot of technical innovation in Sky Raider. Several patents were filed for the hardware used in the game.
That's because it had specialized hardware at all, not because what that hardware did (scaling rasters) was such a technological breakthrough.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

KrautHedge posted:

Google bought an old finnish paper mill and turned it into a data center a few years ago. Its cooled by the seawater. http://www.google.com/about/datacenters/inside/locations/hamina/index.html

While this is a marketing video it shows what I think is a cool datacenter campus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsfRN4vIygo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I was playing Call of Duty the other day. It reminded me of how much I miss slide projectors.

I don’t miss the image quality or sitting through boring slide shows, but the sound they make is music to my ears. :gbsmith:

Nineteen‐fifties television commercials are pretty great, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQJVL02Lnh0

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I suspect most if not all of the segments in the DVNO video are referencing specific ads or logos—I recognized at least a third of them.
Same here, I think you see a lot of them in that Scanimate video that spawned this discussion.

I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's, and this was pretty typical stuff you'd see on television, and it was just as amazing then as it is to see it now. That said, keep in mind that you had three channels to watch, maybe five if you were in a very large city. If you were extremely lucky, you'd have cable television with 30-40 channels. We ended up getting cable sometime around 1985.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

When I was a kid in the early 70's, we had cable tv and it was just channels 2-12 on VHF, nothing on UHF, one of the channels had a scrolling text time/news/weather/local ads station.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Did anyone mention the Acorn Archimedes?

The technology in it is outdated but this thing pioneered the same ARM architecture that smartphones use today. It's pretty amazing. Also, it has the best version of the game Elite on it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wasn't the Acorn designed as a school computer? On that topic we have another fabulous nordic failure.

The TeleNova COMPIS. COMPIS meant "COMPuter In Schools" but is also a play on words, the swedish word "kompis" meaning friend.

It was launched in Sweden and Norway, although in Norway it was renamed to "Scandis"

The swedish state-funded project was launched in 1981 and the idea was to in two years develop an expandable, easy-to-use computer that could be used in various fields in school. So it would have ports for a light pen, a general IO port, support for various science instruments etcetera. It should also have a high-resolution (the spec called for minimum 500x500 pixels) screen capable of showing color images. And it had to be cheap.

Esselte developed the computer, which was then produced by TeleNova, a spinoff from the swedish state telephone company Televerket. It wasn't a bad machine for its time. Based on an 8Mhz Intel 80186 CPU, it had 128kB RAM (expandable to 256) and an additional 32kB video RAM. The graphics adapter was capable of displaying 640x400 in 8 colors, although the basic model came with a proprietary monochrome CRT which also served as the power supply for the computer. Very few of the color monitors exist.

So why did it fail? The same reason so many other promising hardware projects fail - timing and software. After a year long delay the computer reached the market in 1984, and by then MS-DOS had the personal computer market in an iron grip. Along comes Compis running CP/M and a proprietary programming language called COMAL. Imagine a sad trombone here.

Eventually the ability to boot MS-DOS from floppy was added, but by then the hardware was obsolete and the Compis destined to be a parenthesis in computer history.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 10:51 on Nov 28, 2013

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Collateral Damage posted:

Wasn't the Acorn designed as a school computer? On that topic we have another fabulous nordic failure.

The TeleNova COMPIS. COMPIS meant "COMPuter In Schools", but is also a play on words, the swedish word "kompis" meaning friend.

The state-funded project was launched in 1981 and the idea was to in two years develop an expandable, easy-to-use computer that could be used in various fields in school. So it would have ports for a light pen, a general IO port, support for various science instruments etcetera. It should also have a high-resolution (the spec called for minimum 500x500 pixels) screen capable of showing color images. And it had to be cheap.

Esselte developed the computer, which was then produced by TeleNova, a spinoff from the state telephone company Televerket. It wasn't a bad machine for its time. Based on an 8Mhz Intel 80186 CPU, it had 128kB RAM (expandable to 256) and an additional 32kB video RAM. The graphics adapter was capable of displaying 640x400 in 8 colors, although the basic model came with a proprietary monochrome CRT, which also served as the power supply for the computer. Very few of the color monitors exist.

So why did it fail? The same reason so many other promising hardware projects fail - timing and software. After a year long delay the computer reached the market in 1984. By then MS-DOS had the personal computer market in an iron grip. Along comes Compis running CP/M and a proprietary programming language called COMAL. Imagine a sad trombone here.

Eventually the ability to boot MS-DOS from floppy was added, but by then the hardware was obsolete and the Compis destined to be a parenthesis in computer history.

Not to mention if you were in Europe and you wanted to get a cheap computer in 1984 the C64 was everywhere, inexpensive and megapopular.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Not to mention if you were in Europe and you wanted to get a cheap computer in 1984 the C64 was everywhere, inexpensive and megapopular.

And every kid in school would trade you tapes with pirated games. Or disks, when those became widespread.

We had our own homegrown fabulous nordic failure of sorts in Norway, as well, the TIKI-100. Also launched in 1984, it was a Z80-based computer with a staggering 64 k of RAM plus 32 k graphic memory; it ran a clone of CP/M called KP/M. This machine was primarily developed for use in schools, by a private company in cooperation with the Ministry of Education. Wasn't really a total failure as such, since it managed to claw out a decent market niche for itself and held onto it for a few years until everyone operating in that niche only wanted PC compatibles instead. (And in fact the company made and sold, for a few years, a successor which was a hybrid TIKI/IBM PC compatible, with both a Z80 and an 8088 processor.)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A significantly less failed computer in Sweden was the Z80-based ABC 80 which was popular in many schools and homes, and still has a minor cult following. It held a significant market share until the C64 came along.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Groke posted:

And every kid in school would trade you tapes with pirated games. Or disks, when those became widespread.

You just reminded me of this beauty our family had for our Commodore 128:
Also the fun thing about the cassette players was fiddling with the screw to adjust the static or whatever it did. I think I had this one: (didn't everyone?)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mng posted:

Also the fun thing about the cassette players was fiddling with the screw to adjust the static or whatever it did.

It adjusted the azimuth. No I don't know what that means.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jerry Cotton posted:

It adjusted the azimuth. No I don't know what that means.

It's the angle between the head and the tape (my dad is an electronics technician by trade, for nearly 40 years now).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Were there any microcomputer-related publications that didn't have an "AAAARGHZIMUTH" cartoon or illustration at least once?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Retarded Pimp posted:

When I was a kid in the early 70's, we had cable tv and it was just channels 2-12 on VHF, nothing on UHF, one of the channels had a scrolling text time/news/weather/local ads station.
In Denmark, there was one national channel up until 1988 when the state monopoly was lifted. Then there were two, plus a few tiny niche amateur channels came along.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
That keyboard looks surprisingly good, like if you put it next to something like a steelseries 7G in a shop I probably wouldn't think twice. I am guessing they wouldn't be that nice to actually use though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fuzz1111 posted:

That keyboard looks surprisingly good, like if you put it next to something like a steelseries 7G in a shop I probably wouldn't think twice. I am guessing they wouldn't be that nice to actually use though.
They were no Type Ms, but they did their job. Computer ergonomics wasn't a big thing at the time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I don't know about you guys, but if someone says something about "azimuth" I start having unpleasant memories of sidereal time and spherical trigonometry.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Groke posted:

We had our own homegrown fabulous nordic failure of sorts in Norway, as well, the TIKI-100. Also launched in 1984, it was a Z80-based computer with a staggering 64 k of RAM plus 32 k graphic memory; it ran a clone of CP/M called KP/M. This machine was primarily developed for use in schools, by a private company in cooperation with the Ministry of Education. Wasn't really a total failure as such, since it managed to claw out a decent market niche for itself and held onto it for a few years until everyone operating in that niche only wanted PC compatibles instead. (And in fact the company made and sold, for a few years, a successor which was a hybrid TIKI/IBM PC compatible, with both a Z80 and an 8088 processor.)

You know, I had almost managed to forget about the TIKI-100 and TIKI-200. Our school had to suffer with those until the late 90s. :|

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Krispy Kareem posted:

Meh, those are scrubs. I was using trackballs in the 80's on my PCjr.

Speaking of failed technology:

I've had this thing for 6 or 7 years, it's currently glowing bluely on my desk. I've never found a use for it. I've only seen one in the wild and that's for kids to sign in for appointments at my daughter's orthodontist.

So cool, so pointless. I guess it's not a total failure since you can still buy them, but I have no idea what they're being used for.

I bought one of these when I used Final Cut for a living years ago. After about 2 days I went back to a USB mouse and then eventually a Magic Trackpad. They were useless.

If you want know what they're being used for now, then there's a few used as set dressing in Pacific Rim.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Would I inquire here or is there a thread in AI I should check instead to ask about old, obsolete big rig trucks? My job has me working around them a lot and I've been curious as to what led up to the Kenworths and Peterbilts and such.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Would I inquire here or is there a thread in AI I should check instead to ask about old, obsolete big rig trucks? My job has me working around them a lot and I've been curious as to what led up to the Kenworths and Peterbilts and such.

I'd try asking around in the thread for truckers and general trucking stuff in AI, IIRC there's been a few posts about older rigs and their history.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564295&pagenumber=1

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

80s.gif

That dude on the boat looks so goddamn smug over his luggable phone.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Nothing screams 80's like being an unfortunate pack-mule for your rich friend's luggable cell phone.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's a Mobira Talkman. My father had one, and it's still collecting dust in my parents' basement.

In the nordics they used the NMT 450/900 bands which gave them excellent range, especially with an external antenna. They weren't really suitable for anything but fixed installation in a vehicle though since the unit weighed almost 6kg and the lead-acid battery gave you a talking time of 30 minutes if you were lucky. They were really popular with truckers and forestry workers up until they finally shut NMT down in 2007.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

That's a Mobira Talkman.

Please recreate this scene for us.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember that scene when Lethal Weapon first came out, it blew everyone's mind. All the kids at my highschool were all, "Holy poo poo, he's carrying around a loving phone!"

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Some of those phones have later been modified for amateur radio use, the 450 MHz versions can be re-tuned for the 70cm amateur band and some crazy finns have been writing new firmware for them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

longview posted:

crazy finns

Are there other kinds of finn?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

In the nordics they used the NMT 450/900 bands which gave them excellent range, especially with an external antenna. They weren't really suitable for anything but fixed installation in a vehicle though since the unit weighed almost 6kg and the lead-acid battery gave you a talking time of 30 minutes if you were lucky. They were really popular with truckers and forestry workers up until they finally shut NMT down in 2007.

My dad had one of those suckers as well, because of his job. It was handy to have on one or two occasions when the regular phone service was down due to weather damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Pilsner posted:

In Denmark, there was one national channel up until 1988 when the state monopoly was lifted. Then there were two, plus a few tiny niche amateur channels came along.

That poo poo didn't happen until 1992 in Norway. Of course a significant percentage of the population lived close enough to the border to get Swedish channels (and I believe some in the south could get Danish brodcasts as well), but for the rest of us it was one glorious channel. One effect of this was that everyone had seen the exact same shows (if they had been watching TV at all).

In fact I am also old enough to remember when we only had one national radio channel. And if you wanted to get a phone line installed you might have to wait for up to a couple of years. Things have changed rather a bit since then.