Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

MrYenko posted:

:stonk:

As a native Floridian, I have to ask...

Why even go to work?

Because if I don't I lose my holiday pay and in my..field..our only days off are scheduled way in advance, death of a family member or your scheduled day off. No inclement weather policy.

And truth be told? It wasn't really that bad, people are just stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My rule is if the schools are closed I'm not driving my rear end to work.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Why even go to work?

Because we come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs flow. The hammer of the gods will drive our comfortable economy cars (ideally with heated seats) to the work parking lot.

Seriously though, it's a lot of fun to watch morons on all-seasons (or worse, summers) pinball their way down an icy hill or find out from the morning news that yesterday your provincial capital had a 40 car accident because despite the fact that everyone drives around with their fogs on 24/7 nobody knows how to drive in ice fog and the exact same thing happened last year too.

Last year we had a chinook wind that melted a bunch of snow at the end of my driveway and I found half a Neon bumper encased in the ice. That's value.

My insurance premiums are, uh, large.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Why even go to work?

Because I'd consider that road to be in good condition? Welcome to Canada.

I drive a miata year round, and I'm a ski patroller so I'm driving to the ski hill every weekend. That picture isn't bad, bad is when you're driving down the highway to get to the ski hill and the plows haven't been out yet, so you're literally plowing the road with your car. I've yet to get stuck, but I'm far too used to the feeling of the car floating on the floor pan in the snow. Stopping is something you do only if you know you can get started again, stopping distances are hilarious, and at that time of the morning with that amount of snow red lights are a suggestion to be followed only if someone is coming through the intersection on the green. Thankfully I can usually coast my way up to reds slow enough that they're green by the time I get there.

Oh and most turns become some variation of turn in, car starts to turn, car starts to wash out the front, gas to slide the back around, catch slide, continue.

There's about 10" of heavy snow in my driveway right now, I broke my shovel trying to shovel it all off last night. This morning I just backed out over it all. Winter tires are king.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm being generous. Last time I was on it (in my '97 Impreza rust bucket - RIP) I had to wait behind a 911 turbo because he was afraid to go over 40 in a 60 on it.

My favourite road around here is a 2ish lane country road, though it's getting a bit rough. Late this summer I had a terrifying moment of coming around the corner and finding they'd ripped up the road to prep for repaving, which will be wonderful. It wasn't a lot of fun to be surprised by it though. Can't wait until next year. There's no posted limit which means its 80km/h, and I can't maintain 80 through the corners, so it's relatively legal to have fun on. Of course, lots of people stick to no faster than 40-50km/h, so it can be fun getting around them. It's pretty rare to see someone though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MrYenko posted:

Why even go to work?

When else can we drift around like maniacs and slide everywhere without wasting rubber or getting expensive tickets? :getin:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I love to drive in the snow, for pretty much all the reasons already posted. I actually find it really calming, and tons of fun as long as there isn't a lot of other people to deal with. It has barely snowed here the last couple years. :(

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Why even go to work?

If you didn't drive to work when that was all that's on the ground you would miss a lot of work. Snow is fun as long as you're not a moron which is why a lot of people who have lived in a place that snows all their life can't drive in it.

Small stupid driver story: I was backing into a parking space the other day and some guy in a minivan decided to drive behind me through the parking spaces. Of course he looked at me like I was the idiot when I almost hit him. I need to start driving my truck more again for the reasons kastien has mention about driving old beat up vehicles. My paint is already poo poo I don't care if you hit me.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I think its already been established that northerners are regularly bouncing off the rev limiter in a ford focus moving through 3 feet of snow, with the entire passenger seat taken up by the massive balls of the driver.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I love driving in snow; but because so many people around my area are not from here, I fear them more than some snow and ice on ground.

Plus, if you live in area that gets snow, expect to go to work unless you cannot get out of your driveway.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Coming into work this morning at about half six, fairly empty a-road, I'm doing 65 for economy. I see a Mini tailgating a wagon up ahead, maybe a little over a metre between them at 58mph in the slow lane. Other than us the road is empty, so imagine my surprise when the Mini pulls out in front of me just before I pull level with him. I brake like crazy and probably came within a couple of inches of hitting him then drop back, fuming and making sure the dash cam was on, yup it was.

Fucker actually slows down slightly, the truck started to pull ahead. I leave it a minute then flash my lights when it's obvious the Mini is totally unaware.

Glad I dropped back and left that gap, twat jumps on his brakes, forcing me to e-stop on an otherwise empty 70mph a-road.

Then he speeds off and I lose him. I get into work and pull the card from my camera, fully intending to report the fucker with evidence.

Card is corrupt. The camera thinks it's okay and writes happily, no pc reads it. I slap in a spare 2gb card and that records and plays back okay so I think that card is no good. Back to Amazon with you.

I don't understand people.

Was this one of the cheap 32GB Class 10 cards from Amazon? I bought two of those for I think $12 each and they corrupt the data from both my GoPro and my Chinadashcam. I substituted a 16GB SanDisk and both cameras work perfectly. Stupid lovely cards. They seem to work ok for music and still pictures but I don't think they are able to write nearly as fast as they claim.
Glad I didn't get into a wreck or miss out on filming a huge propane explosion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If your car doesn't have a crest of snow spraying off the front end, the roads aren't bad yet.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
I love when heavy snow hits Scotland - driving the empty motorways in a softtop land rover with no sound and just a blanket of flakes in front of you is very calming. Until some fucker emerges from the falling curtain going at 20 with no lights on.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Last year we had a chinook wind that melted a bunch of snow at the end of my driveway and I found half a Neon bumper encased in the ice. That's value.

What area of town was this, I've lived in the deep southeast most of my life with a couple years close to city center and I don't really recall snowbanks deep enough to hide a bumper in. I know the north end gets a lot more weather than the south in general.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Vindolanda posted:

I love when heavy snow hits Scotland - driving the empty motorways in a softtop land rover with no sound and just a blanket of flakes in front of you is very calming. Until some fucker emerges from the falling curtain going at 20 with no lights on.

I was there this summer and loved it, I can't imagine how beautiful the highlands are covered in snow.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

devmd01 posted:

I was there this summer and loved it, I can't imagine how beautiful the highlands are covered in snow.

Bloody. That's how. Bloody, bloody beautiful.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Over here we have the "Right Hand Rule" which basically says that you have to yield to anyone coming from the right unless you are on a priority road / they are coming from a parking lot or whatever. But it's hilariously dangerous that despite this being one of the core rules of the road here, no one seems to know / get it. People just stop, wait and look confused when I yield. I have to wave them through since you never know when a cop is watching and I don't feel like getting a $300 ticket for not abiding to rule.

It gets even more dangerous when on a bicycle and I haven't ever seen a cyclist yielding due to that rule neither.

/rant

Edit: I also love driving in snow. It's calming yet exciting and a nice break from the usual boring drive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phy posted:

What area of town was this, I've lived in the deep southeast most of my life with a couple years close to city center and I don't really recall snowbanks deep enough to hide a bumper in. I know the north end gets a lot more weather than the south in general.

Deep NW. It was a big pile of frozen snow left from my neighbor's shovelling.

I used to live in the deep SE too. It's like living in Edmonton up here, poo poo is crazy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bugdrvr posted:

Was this one of the cheap 32GB Class 10 cards from Amazon? I bought two of those for I think $12 each and they corrupt the data from both my GoPro and my Chinadashcam. I substituted a 16GB SanDisk and both cameras work perfectly. Stupid lovely cards. They seem to work ok for music and still pictures but I don't think they are able to write nearly as fast as they claim.
Glad I didn't get into a wreck or miss out on filming a huge propane explosion.

Exactly this. Checked an hour or so ago, the 2gb card is still good, and probably 5 years old.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've had the same issue, I don't bother with cheapo SD cards any more, quality 16GB ones aren't a whole lot of cash and do what I need.

In terms of snow driving, living in South Yorkshire and the midlands, I've never encountered anything that prevented me getting where I needed to go. Some of my favourites include driving to London and back in an E30 325i on £30 tyres, while people in SUVs were abandoning their cars at the roadside, and driving 80 miles to meet up with my family for a meal only for the restaurant to say "hey, good thing you got here early, we're going to have to close earlier than usual because some of the staff can't make it in".

Besides, car park donuts, powersliding out of junctions at walking pace, it's all such great fun.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 29, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

xzzy posted:

If your car doesn't have a crest of snow spraying off the front end, the roads aren't bad yet.

I've plowed through 5 foot snowbanks doing 30 and had to stop after to shovel the windshield off. Wipers wouldn't even come close to moving it :haw:

I wish I had that on video, came to the end of the pavement in a cul de sac where the road actually continued past the development, but was a dirt two track. The plow trucks had piled everything in the end of the road, so I just gunned it and plowed through.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

I've had the same issue, I don't bother with cheapo SD cards any more, quality 16GB ones aren't a whole lot of cash and do what I need.

Oi the dashcam I got has rejected two good cards so it's time for it to go back. Apparently the newer versions of the firmware aren't as good. :(

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, don't cheap out on SD cards. A good one is only a few bucks more than a cheap one. There's a lot of bad ones out there. I have about 1/2dozen SanDisk 64GBs for the GoPro and they worked perfectly over an 11-day rafting trip in the hottest of weather with constant dunking in sub-50 degree water. 100degrees>50degrees>slowly warming back to 100. Wash, rinse, repeat. Not a single failure.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cakefool posted:

Then he speeds off and I lose him. I get into work and pull the card from my camera, fully intending to report the fucker with evidence.

Card is corrupt. The camera thinks it's okay and writes happily, no pc reads it. I slap in a spare 2gb card and that records and plays back okay so I think that card is no good. Back to Amazon with you.

Honestly unless you're reporting this to the most underworked police department in the state I seriously doubt they'd do anything with it. Too much effort to cite the guy after the fact, even if you've basically gift-wrapped a dead-to-rights traffic citation and left it on their desk.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I haven't had any issues with recordings on my camera, despite having the cheapest SanDisk 32GB class 4 card in it. I wasn't sure if it'd be able to keep up with camera, but it seems to do just fine.

What I have had issues with is it losing the time/date seemingly at random. Happened 3 times so far; noticed it the third time tonight, and apparently it's been that way for at least 3 days :sigh: (showing Jan 3rd). Hasn't lost any other settings.

I may just wind up turning off the date/time stamp.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mine actually asks for a class 4 or class 6, the class 10 causes problems I guess. I am going to return it for firmware issues though as stated above. Oh well.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CharlesM posted:

Mine actually asks for a class 4 or class 6, the class 10 causes problems I guess. I am going to return it for firmware issues though as stated above. Oh well.

My Mobius was also recommended to use Class 4.

I ended up buying the 32GB card from the camera manufacturer to ensure that it worked - depsite it meaning that I paid Class 10 price for a Class 4.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I can't read the manual for mine, it's a neat mix of Chinese, horrible English, and bad Russian. :v:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
These are the people you don't share the road with. About the only perk for working on Friday after Thanksgiving. The roads are empty of most idiots. This spot is normally bumper-to-bumper at <10MPH at 8am. Today, 80mph and flyin'. 10 minutes door-to-door for my commute this morning.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yup, I had to go into work for five minutes this morning just to pick up my paycheck and it was the nicest commute I've ever had.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

MrYenko posted:

Why even go to work?

As a native Wisconsinite, that ain't poo poo.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Went to the Danbury Fair Mall last night with some friends out of boredom and we wanted to see someone get in a fight over a TV. In the parking lot there was an FJ Cruiser with, what I think were, turkey hats zip-tied over the side-view mirrors. Not so only the zip-ties were going over the mirror, the whole hat, they effectively had no side mirrors. I was going to take a picture but they were gone by the time I came out. Probably back on I-84 merging into people they couldn't see.

We left at midnight and it was the worst traffic backup I have ever seen on that part of 84. At least I didn't have to deal with it at that point.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Almost had another car in my side yesterday on my way to work. Was driving the speed limit on the highway in the left lane, other guy was going slower than me in a silver Renault Megane in the right lane, and there was a truck a bit ahead of him. He decides that it's a perfect idea to start to overtake the truck right when I'm close to passing him.

No turn signals or anything, thankfully he noticed me in time(I drive a dark grey Peugeot 207 99g, my headlights are pretty much always on, not like I'm invisible) and made some rude gestures at me for even daring to be in a lane he might want to use in the near future despite there being plenty of room. Because he was mostly heading the same way I was I got to observe him for a few miles in my rearview mirror. He never even used his turn signals at all when changing lanes.

Just shows that I really need a dashcam.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Smoke posted:

and made some rude gestures at me for even daring to be in a lane he might want to use in the near future despite there being plenty of room.

I will never understand why people glare at you when they do something stupid. Unless they're just really stupid. I guess I figured it out, didn't I?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Dumb people get angry when they make fools of themselves in public. How dare you let them make themselves look stupid in front of other people! It's your fault for being in his way when he screwed up and didn't check before changing lanes!

Basically, if you (or anyone else) hadn't been there, he wouldn't have made himself look like an idiot by almost merging into you. So it's your fault. :downs:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
My dashcam finally showed up (after a few weeks). Better late than not at all, I guess. I got a SanDisk Class 10 32GB card to go with it, so hopefully I won't have any issues with corrupt video due to a cheap / crappy card. I drove to / from Rochester NY (about 400 miles each way) to see family for Thanksgiving, so I was able to test it out.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Night driving is surprisingly clear, as is the sound. The GPS overlay thing is actually pretty cool, and seems to work well, although you need the special viewer (which gets automatically placed on your SD card when the camera formats it) in order to view it. It has two wide angle lenses that can be independently positioned, so you can mount it off center and still get a decent view. The rearward facing one (assuming camera is mounted on the windshield) will capture both the driver and the front passenger, so you get to watch yourself drive. It automatically records in overlapping 3 minute segments. There's a built in G-sensor which will lock video segments when abnormal shock is detected, and a built in rechargeable battery that keeps it going if power is cut. This also has the side effect of making it portable, so you can use it as a portable video camera too, although I'm guessing the battery doesn't last too long by itself.

When you play back the videos with the supplied program, it puts the feeds from both lenses side by side, with the GPS map overlay next to that. You can save video segments as separate standard .avi files, but the GPS overlay is lost in the saved video file. I was going through some of the videos and it's kind of funny to watch myself rage at incompetent shits I encountered while driving :v: Not too bad for ~$66 shipped.

My only gripe is the resolution, which isn't awesome. It works well to see what's going on, but I wouldn't count on using it to read license plates. This'll be fine until a cheap cam comes out with two true HD feeds, at which point I'll think about upgrading.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

I was barreling along a road at 60 (the limit, and totally fine for the road) today, when someone first turned into a turning area in the middle, quite far in front of me. I thought "Ok, I was reading that AI thread earlier, I'll brake". They continued, and had I not started braking early, I would have hit them - or rather they me. My car is from 1972 and weighs as much as a ghosts fart; I would almost certainly have died had I not thought of you. Thanks guys.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've found the only way I can truly relax while being tailgated is to 'turn off' my mirror by pointing it toward the sky. I try to do so in such a manner that it's obvious I don't want to look at the person behind me. When I need to change lanes later I'll aim it and hopefully the troubles have passed, or crane my head around to check blind spots.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 22, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

StormDrain posted:

I've found the only way I can truly relax while being tailgated is to 'turn off' my mirror by pointing it toward the sky. I try to do so in such a manner that it's obvious I don't want to look at the person behind me. When I need to change lanes later I'll aim it and hopefully the troubles have passed, or crane my head around to check blind spots.

These seriously have to be top-rate GBS trolls, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

These seriously have to be top-rate GBS trolls, right?

I think so. The obvious answer is to brake check the tailgater until he speeds by in rage.