Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

QuarkJets posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody puts firewire ports on anything anymore, not even Apple. What the gently caress is a firewire express card? Do you need some serial ports, too?

They're very common for musicians.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=firewire%20expresscard&Submit=ENE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

QuarkJets posted:

Hold on there; Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 with a bunch of improvements under the hood and a dumb UI plastered on top of the old UI. Don't like Metro? No problem, it takes about 20 seconds to download a thing to patch it out

I'm pretty sure nobody puts firewire ports on anything anymore, not even Apple. What the gently caress is a firewire express card? Do you need some serial ports, too?

FireWire is still very common for AV production because it's a "smart" bus

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
It takes 5 minutes to find the options, but you can never see the Metro interface after setting the desktop as your default boot environment. The shortcuts to find things are all Desktop friendly, they just open a side-bar search area, so as long as you know what programs you want, you can totally never use Metro. In essence, they did make Win7 mode, its called "Ignore Metro like it doesn't exist and reap the benefits of an improved OS."

The Lenovo Thinkpads don't have firewire, but they do have an Express Card slot. 34 or 52mm depending on which model you're looking at. Check the B&N Gold :siren: link in the OP for good deals.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Best Buy has the HP Split x2 on sale tomorrow for $650, anyone have any thoughts on it? Looking for a hybrid with a removable keyboard. Is a Surface Pro 2 a better buy (though $1k to get 128gb storage)?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Quick SSD question: my girlfriend's Dell has a 500gb seagate, plus a 32gb liteon SSD showing up in device manager. But there's only one partition that I see in windows explorer - c:/ , with 500 gig (well, 457). I've never set up a SSD+regular hard drive, is this right? To me it looks like Dell sold her the 32gb ssd and then never put windows 8 on it.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

QuarkJets posted:

What the gently caress is a firewire express card?

An ExpressCard with a firewire port.

quote:

Do you need some serial ports, too?

Surprisingly enough, some of Dell's and HP's docks still have serial ports, and some HP ProBooks had serial ports the last time I checked (this year). And of course rugged laptops still have them.

I mean, what if you want to hook up your HP-48GX to your laptop? You didn't think of that, didjya ;-)

shrughes fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 28, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mastershakeman posted:

Quick SSD question: my girlfriend's Dell has a 500gb seagate, plus a 32gb liteon SSD showing up in device manager. But there's only one partition that I see in windows explorer - c:/ , with 500 gig (well, 457). I've never set up a SSD+regular hard drive, is this right? To me it looks like Dell sold her the 32gb ssd and then never put windows 8 on it.

Its meant as a cache for the main drive - you don't control what goes on it but it should cache frequently accessed files transparently.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. So my T440s has a not-insignificant amount of light leakage at the bottom, when viewing a completely black screen.

This is pretty trivial since I never really view a completely black screen, but I'm curious whether anyone else's is showing the same?

I'll post pics once I'm home.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

I'm in the market for a middle-of-the-road laptop to replace my turd of a Dell Studio 15 or whatever the hell it's called that I bought like 7 years ago and hated almost every minute of.

Requirement #1: It's not a dell

2: I don't give a rip about touchscreen - I just need pretty basic.
3: Does anybody put firewire on anything anymore? I have a Presonus Firestudio Project that I would like to use with it.
4: Hey if it doesn't have firewire hopefully it'll at least have a slot for me to plug in a firewire expresscard, right? Right?? :ohdear:
5: If it can at least play pinball FX via steam while I'm bored as gently caress on coast-to-coast flights that's an added bonus.
6: Dear god Win7 not Win8 please. :ohdear:x2

Does a machine that would fit that bill in the $550-800 range exist? I don't need anything crazy.

Thanks fellers.

1. I generally recommend a Thinkpad, they generally have expressports

2. I don't blame you

3. See #1

4. See #3

5. You're going to be very happy with modern integrated graphics

6. Win 8.1 is your new lord and savior. It's just Windows Server 2012 R2 with the consumer role turned on. If you don't like Metro, Classic Shell is basically flawless in giving you a windows 7 experience. I hate metro but once I install classic shell (free) I really like 8.1. And I generally hate new versions of anything.

I'd look at a T or X series Thinkpad for the express port and build quality. Use the :siren: link in the OP for a $700 price point

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 28, 2013

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Note that the X240 and T440p do not have ExpressCard slots. (Expressports???)

I think the L440 and T540p and L540 do though.

It should be noted that of laptops that do have built-in firewire ports, I think many didn't have the newer, faster version of FireWire, and another problem some people have in general is when they don't have a TI controller.

Edit: It looks like the T540p has an ExpressCard slot "on some models". It might not be present except on custom corporate orders. Anyway that's basically outside your price range and not a reasonable choice.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 28, 2013

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

internet inc posted:

Thanks to you fine folks of the Laptop Megathread I now own a Yoga 2 Pro i5/128/8!

I understand that mSATA drives might not be all that common, but I have hopes that in a year or two, prices will go down enough to upgrade if necessary! I might be passing up on a good deal, but it never hurts to spread spendings over a certain period of time. :)

This has been discussed before but I'm not entirely sure what's the best way of making a fresh Windows 8.1 install. Get the CD-Key from the BIOS and torrent and .ISO, while making sure the .ISO matches whatever the key is for? Hassle Lenovo to get an installer dongle? Scream until the bloatware goes away?

Anyone got me on this? I removed pretty much all the Lenovo XPERIENCE APPZ but I always like to do a clean install anyway.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

shrughes posted:

Surprisingly enough, some of Dell's and HP's docks still have serial ports, and some HP ProBooks had serial ports the last time I checked (this year). And of course rugged laptops still have them.

I mean, what if you want to hook up your HP-48GX to your laptop? You didn't think of that, didjya ;-)

Even as someone who routinely touches serial gear (switches, UPSes, embedded, and other terrible "enterprise" stuff), everyone should use use a FTDI USB->serial these days.

And 48-GX? Use a 50G :smuggo:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314152
I'm looking at these 2 models but I'm not sure of Acer's current build quality. My last laptop screen always fels a little flimsy and the screen finally cracked when I went to adjust the viewing angle on it. Are all of Acer's current ones like that or if anyone has one of these guys does it work ok?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

evol262 posted:

Even as someone who routinely touches serial gear (switches, UPSes, embedded, and other terrible "enterprise" stuff), everyone should use use a FTDI USB->serial these days.

And 48-GX? Use a 50G :smuggo:

Well, the 50G wouldn't be applicable because it can connect via USB. Also it doesn't have the cyberpunk industrial design that the 48GX has.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

shrughes posted:

Well, the 50G wouldn't be applicable because it can connect via USB.
Sort of the point.

shrughes posted:

Also it doesn't have the cyberpunk industrial design that the 48GX has.

If that's what they call "actuation pressure of buckling spring keyboards except on a calculator".

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

Its meant as a cache for the main drive - you don't control what goes on it but it should cache frequently accessed files transparently.

Why not have the os and common programs (firefox, office) run off that partition?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Why not have the os and common programs (firefox, office) run off that partition?

In theory, they will, by virtue of being placed there by whatever algorithm decides what goes where.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
It's unnervingly hands-off, but whatever algorithm it uses should stick your OS and those commonly used programs in the cache space.

HarveyxCosmonaut
Jan 27, 2009
I'm trying to make a decision between Lenovo's T series and Y series. I work as a field biologist and need durability, good battery, and the ability to run ArcGIS. I also like to play games such as Rome 2, XCOM, and a couple years of future games. I'm in the $800-$1000 price range. So are the T's build quality worth more then the Y's hardware while still being able to handle some games? Also should prices drop in a few months to be lower than the sales this week?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Either one will probably be fine as long as you're ok with medium or lower settings and not interested in AAA cutting edge tech fps games etc. The y510p does have better performance but the battery life is terrible.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DNova posted:

In theory, they will, by virtue of being placed there by whatever algorithm decides what goes where.

Ok good. Glad I worried about nothing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Soooo. If you're going to upgrade the RAM or HDD in your T440s you need to disassemble the bottom cover in this order:

Things that would have been nice to know before I snapped a bit of plastic at its weakest part trying to figure it out myself because the user guide PDF provides zero loving guidance. One day owning this T440s and I'm going to be trying to replace the bottom cover already. It's not a noticeable crack or anything, but it's going to drive me absolutely loving insane just knowing it's there :smith:

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Any deals happening today or tomorrow? If not, I'm open to any recommendations. I'm going abroad next year and moving around a lot between now and then. I have a lovely laptop and wanna play my steam games again. I'm not really hung up on the price.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
What Steam games?

What is "not hung up on the price" in your local currency?

The B&N Gold :siren: link in the OP will lead you to Lenovo, a retailer of fine laptops for fine people. Those laptops are usually exactly what the doctor ordered for most people.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

I don't know if the B&N link in the OP is working quite right; I signed up with a username and they sent me a password, but no matter what I do it says I have invalid credentials whenever I try to log in.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

HarveyxCosmonaut posted:

I'm trying to make a decision between Lenovo's T series and Y series. I work as a field biologist and need durability, good battery, and the ability to run ArcGIS. I also like to play games such as Rome 2, XCOM, and a couple years of future games. I'm in the $800-$1000 price range. So are the T's build quality worth more then the Y's hardware while still being able to handle some games? Also should prices drop in a few months to be lower than the sales this week?

If you are going to be traveling the T is absolutely worth it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

turnways posted:

I don't know if the B&N link in the OP is working quite right; I signed up with a username and they sent me a password, but no matter what I do it says I have invalid credentials whenever I try to log in.

Unfortunately Lenovo's site is trash and frequently broken. It also has a tendency to be more frequently broken right before/during/after a major sale like black friday

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Speaking of broken sites, it looks like I can't begin customizing the T340, the space below where it says to begin is blank. I've been able to fool around with all other models, including the T431 and the rest of the T series, but not the 430. Are they discontinuing it or is it just broken?

Also how is the heat on the T430 while running games at high performance? Heat is probably my single biggest nagging complaint about my current comp, other than cheap/shoddy construction, which I understand is not an issue for thinkpads. Also the OP was really helpful, thanks for that.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
The T430 is discontinued as far as can be told, it's not on the main Lenovo site at all.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

P.N.T.M. posted:

What Steam games?

What is "not hung up on the price" in your local currency?

The B&N Gold :siren: link in the OP will lead you to Lenovo, a retailer of fine laptops for fine people. Those laptops are usually exactly what the doctor ordered for most people.

I'd like to be able to play games like cs but also something around the level of skyrim or bf4. i want to edit video as well. Im willing to spend at least a G since I'll be travelling a lot.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

FYI - The Lenovo outlet store is offering 30% off their already ridiculously low prices...

Stock is low but they update it every hour or so.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey T440s users:

Do you notice that your three-finger prev/next gesture is backwards? Like for example, I have to swipe to the RIGHT to go to the PREVIOUS page and vice versa. There's no invert option in the control panel, unfortunately :(

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

I'd like to be able to play games like cs but also something around the level of skyrim or bf4. i want to edit video as well. Im willing to spend at least a G since I'll be travelling a lot.

bf4 is a really demanding game. Much more so than skyrim or any halflife/steam game. Get a y510p i think.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Welp, trusting the Lenovo shipping lottery. Ordered a Y410p for my son.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Am I a sucker for wanting to buy this thing? I'm about to do a lot of travel over the next few months but I don't want to have to compromise on my gaming / 3d modelling work. I know the i7 and the 780M are probably overboard; I kind of don't mind spending the extra money if it'll futureproof me for that much longer, but at the same time I don't know how much is too much.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

Lenovo does have two laptops in your price range with either GT750m or GT755m mobile GPUs, and their current :siren: B&N Gold deal really cuts the base price. Go sign up and take a look at the y510 and y410.

The 750m should handle CS(GO) without a hitch. It will achieve just over 30FPS on High settings in Skyrim (#89 on the list. I cannot find a benchmark for it in BF4, but it should give you a bit of leeway in medium settings.

Video editing is not going to be Desktop smooth, but it will not be a pain in the rear end. The $2,600 MBPr is outfitted with the exact same GT750m, and that machine is regularly used with professional level video suites. You should be able to get a lot done with it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm looking to upgrade my ancient gen-1 10" Acer Atom netbook. I know that the netbook thread (and the netbook!) are dead. All I actually want is a bigger, high-res screen (400 vertical is a little constraining!) and similarly lasts-a-workday battery life. Everything I do is remotely connecting to other machines so specs are really not at all a priority. I'm primarily going to be looking at text on a terminal while tabbing to a browser and occasionally an image or something. I don't care about playing games on a laptop.

Willing to spend circa $1000.

Want Windows in some flavor.

Is T440s what I want? Regular T440? X240? T540p? I've got to say all these similar models are confusing as heck. What concession am I making on the 440s vs the 440?
Is it just price or am I losing build quality too?

Do I want a touch screen? It doesn't really seem worth paying an extra ~$200 for. Am I making a big mistake because it is really important for some reason?

Should I be buying now/today for Black Friday deals? The base configuration 440 is showing $802.78 and 440s for $983.18 on http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/. They don't ship for a couple of weeks though. Are those good prices or are they likely to bring it down further in a few weeks when they're actually shipping and closer to the holiday?

Thanks for your advice!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Get a 13" Macbook Air.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my ancient gen-1 10" Acer Atom netbook. I know that the netbook thread (and the netbook!) are dead. All I actually want is a bigger, high-res screen (400 vertical is a little constraining!) and similarly lasts-a-workday battery life. Everything I do is remotely connecting to other machines so specs are really not at all a priority. I'm primarily going to be looking at text on a terminal while tabbing to a browser and occasionally an image or something. I don't care about playing games on a laptop.

Is T440s what I want? Regular T440? X240? T540p? I've got to say all these similar models are confusing as heck. What concession am I making on the 440s vs the 440?

Do I want a touch screen? It doesn't really seem worth paying an extra ~$200 for. Am I making a big mistake because it is really important for some reason?

Should I be buying now/today for Black Friday deals? The base configuration 440 is showing $802.78 and 440s for $983.18 on http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/. They don't ship for a couple of weeks though. Are those good prices or are they likely to bring it down further in a few weeks when they're actually shipping and closer to the holiday?

Thanks for your advice!

You are the target market for Chromebooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lakitu7 posted:

Thanks for your advice!

Go for Lenovo, I've been using them as work laptops for years and they literally will not die, and get excellent battery life. I'd say get an X-series if you want something lighter and portable, T-series if it's going to sit on a desk.