Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

JCPenney has a holiday ad to the tune of "Deck The Halls" with "shop shop shop shop shop, shop shop shop shop" that's already irritated me after hearing it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Choco1980 posted:

You can send letters via FedEx and UPS, but not many people do...

At a much higher cost and lower efficiency, last study I read.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Fedex and UPS are prohibited by law from delivering non-urgent letters

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ILL ON PZONES posted:

If I were dictator for life, those would be the only commercials allowed. "Buy cars. They get you places a lot faster than walking!" "Try renting an apartment. It's like a little house but cheaper. Here is a coupon for a fish."

Hell yes! I would love straightforward, no nonsense commercials that just gave you the facts on a product. I hate that virtually all commercials need to weave some moronic little playlet. Just tell me why your product is good with facts, don't have characters and jokes and a narrative.

Also, git off muh' lawn.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hell yes! I would love straightforward, no nonsense commercials that just gave you the facts on a product. I hate that virtually all commercials need to weave some moronic little playlet. Just tell me why your product is good with facts, don't have characters and jokes and a narrative.

Also, git off muh' lawn.

If you don't like commercials like this, you're weird, and your opinions are weird.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Toffile posted:

Are you familiar with the Republican party and their "Kill the government" policy.

This has literally nothing to do with why the post office has commercials.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Toffile posted:

Are you familiar with the Republican party and their "Kill the government" policy.

Little hard to kill something that's already dead (the USPS).

They've been sustaining themselves on junk mail income for years, now. People rarely use their business model anymore. Hell, the only time I buy a stamp is when I need to send a bithday card or Christmas card to somebody. I pay all my paperless bills automatically online every month. And if I need to ship something important in a box, I use FedEx, UPS or DHL.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Gonz posted:

Little hard to kill something that's already dead (the USPS).

They've been sustaining themselves on junk mail income for years, now. People rarely use their business model anymore. Hell, the only time I buy a stamp is when I need to send a bithday card or Christmas card to somebody. I pay all my paperless bills automatically online every month. And if I need to ship something important in a box, I use FedEx, UPS or DHL.

They don't make money because, unlike any other business or government agency, they've been required to pay their current employees retirement benefits like a zillion years into the future. Sorry for the mobile link

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sash! posted:

This has literally nothing to do with why the post office has commercials.

Yes, they aren't PR to combat the toxic effects of conservative messaging in the past 40 years regarding the USPS and its function in society. But that's probably a discussion more suited to D&D than here.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Also, git off muh' lawn.

That's what I like about the 5 hour energy ads. They look like they're made for two bucks, and they're like "Hey, maybe you'll like this, maybe you won't. We don't judge. :shobon:" That being said, I do enjoy the Skittles commercials.

On the other hand, some are so literal you wonder if it's a joke.

Also, what's up with Chinese (?) Walmart ads on Youtube?

eminkey2003 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 28, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eminkey2003 posted:

Also, what's up with Chinese (?) Walmart ads on Youtube?

I don't know if this is what you mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVxN65p0Aso

But I like how this one is basically the same ad as in the US, complete with "Back in Black" for the soundtrack.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Cottonelle has been trying for the better part of a year now to make a "thing" out of the complex process of wiping your rear end then following up with a baby wipe. I can't imagine what they intend to accomplish other than selling baby wipes to adults.

Because a surprising amount of people, especially men, wet the toilet paper before wiping.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

BigBoss posted:

Because a surprising amount of people, especially men, wet the toilet paper before wiping.

What? What?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I just noticed that stupid Verizon commercial for tablets with the office guy and the tech guy ends with a voice over saying they will give you "up to 150 dollars or more." well which one is it Verizon?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I use baby wipes to wipe my rear end. It owns.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Oh god it's become an A.I. floating about the internet now. Stand/Wipe: poo poo Chat has made it into the thread about food TV commercials.

Oddly fitting, though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

computer parts posted:

I don't know if this is what you mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVxN65p0Aso

But I like how this one is basically the same ad as in the US, complete with "Back in Black" for the soundtrack.

Thanks for this. I know where my free time will be going for the next while.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BigBoss posted:

I don't know why you would use both and not one or the other, though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

No, it makes sense. Because if even one person is doing that, that's a surprising number of people.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Good to see everyone else hates that K-mart ad.

Is anyone else afraid of going into the kitchen late at night, opening the pantry door, and finding goddamn Hans Strudel in there, waiting for you? Because that kid is creepy. He's like the Burger King king, only he is a living person somehow.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

computer parts posted:

That's basically how it always works, you usually just don't see the other side of it. I get english and spanish commercials all the time that are exactly the same. Like with Ford. English spot is the Mike Rowe and a bunch of white people, Spanish spot is shot for shot identical but with some hispanic guy and a bunch of hispanics.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

SpazmasterX posted:

That's basically how it always works, you usually just don't see the other side of it. I get english and spanish commercials all the time that are exactly the same. Like with Ford. English spot is the Mike Rowe and a bunch of white people, Spanish spot is shot for shot identical but with some hispanic guy and a bunch of hispanics.

But you're talking about two countries that share a fair amount of culture and a lot of citizens. China isn't as much of the case, Mericans think more of stuff like this (Japanese ads compilation)when they think of most asian ads. That does explain how the Chinese "What Women Want," got made, and how it was so similar to
The Mel Gibson.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Kaizoku posted:

If you don't like commercials like this, you're weird, and your opinions are weird.

Well it's got Will Ferrel in it so that's already a knock against it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

gently caress you assholes, I had no idea the "gifing out" ad existed until this thread and now it's taken over my goddamn television. You're gonna pay for this :mad:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

McSpanky posted:

gently caress you assholes, I had no idea the "gifing out" ad existed until this thread and now it's taken over my goddamn television. You're gonna pay for this :mad:

We're pretty sure there's three versions of it, all of them only slightly tweaked--making it even harder to tune out and more annoying. Hopefully, since it's a Black Friday ad, it will be over tomorrow.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Cox cable dad is back (whaaaat?) and he's got a little prodigy now. I had to lol. Can't find this one on youtube though.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just saw a commercial for a Windows tablet that starts off showing a Chromebook and then goes into an obfuscated diatribe about everything a Chromebook cant do, the drat thing features the Chromebook logo soo prominently, I really thought it was trying to make me buy a Chromebook. Way to gently caress up an ad for people who have a TV on for white noise and dont pay attention to what is being said.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Rogers Canada has been running a long series of "hip family" ads for the last two years or so to promote their phone and cable packages.

The thing I find amusing about them is that they keep using the same woman to play the mom of the family, but the father and children keep changing.

The best theory I've come up with is that she's a black widow that kills her family and re-marries every 6 months just to get out of Roger's restrictive data plan contracts.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm tired of these sentimental ads. First it was beer, then it was cars, now I've seen one for gum and game night.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

No More Heroes posted:

I just saw a commercial for a Windows tablet that starts off showing a Chromebook and then goes into an obfuscated diatribe about everything a Chromebook cant do, the drat thing features the Chromebook logo soo prominently, I really thought it was trying to make me buy a Chromebook. Way to gently caress up an ad for people who have a TV on for white noise and dont pay attention to what is being said.

Was that the Pawn Shop guys? I just saw that one myself.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Mister Kingdom posted:

Was that the Pawn Shop guys? I just saw that one myself.

I've seen the Pawn Stars one too, and it just made me think "Well I guess Chromebooks aren't that bad." Those "scroogled" ads are like the new I'm A PC/I'm A Mac.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vakal posted:

The thing I find amusing about them is that they keep using the same woman to play the mom of the family, but the father and children keep changing.

The best theory I've come up with is that she's a black widow that kills her family and re-marries every 6 months just to get out of Roger's restrictive data plan contracts.

Oh come on, that's sexist, thinking she's a black widow.

She could be a cowboy in the Michael Mann sense of the word and lives by the code of not attaching yourself to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat when the heat is around the corner.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What kind of an rear end in a top hat proposes before a plane flight?

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/77lz/jared-airplane-proposal

Also the Stewardess comes off as kind of a jerk.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Arschlochkind posted:

I've seen the Pawn Stars one too, and it just made me think "Well I guess Chromebooks aren't that bad." Those "scroogled" ads are like the new I'm A PC/I'm A Mac.

You can blame this guy for Microsoft's recent attack ads against Google.

:irony:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is the guy that caused Hillary Clinton to lose the 2008 Democratic Primary because he didn't understand how delegates were appropriated. :psyduck:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

computer parts posted:

There appears to be a fad of "I want shiny thing, let me destroy my old thing to get it" ads. e.g.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RtRDjecxk

Yeah, this poo poo is infuriating.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

...of SCIENCE! posted:

At the pace the XBone, their tablets, and Window 8 are going, I wouldn't be surprised Microsoft goes out of business in a few years from now...ironically bought out by Google.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
Speaking of dumb trends, I'm getting really tired of all these "Keep Calm and..." posters.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

At the pace the XBone, their tablets, and Window 8 are going, I wouldn't be surprised Microsoft goes out of business in a few years from now...ironically bought out by Google.

With office still being the big commercial suite I wouldn't be so sure. Microsoft has a long way to fall.

EDIT: \/ Of course they are, but Microsoft's got such a hold on the corporate world in general they're not easy to kill.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

With office still being the big commercial suite I wouldn't be so sure. Microsoft has a long way to fall.

Dude they are trying to gently caress up Office. Last time I thought about buying it, they didn't even want to sell it. They want you on Office 365, which is a cloud app you have to pay monthly/yearly for, and they also want you to be using their cloud storage service which is totally different than Google's because we're Microsoft and we promise we won't use your data to compete against you/sell to advertisers/the NSA.