Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Charter has Usenet service? And it works well enough that you used 5 gb of it at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Heads up if you are looking for a dognzb account.

quote:

We will be opening 1,000 slots for new accounts this Black Friday. So if you have friends or family wanting to get into DOGnzb, let them know to register for an account on November 29 at http://dognzb.cr/register

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Charter has Usenet service? And it works well enough that you used 5 gb of it at some point?

Yeah I just threw it in there because why not. It's not totally uncommon to see some stuff filled from them.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

Heads up if you are looking for a dognzb account.

How is dognzb, by the way? When it first came out, it was horribly slow and just a pain to use. Has it changed much?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

unpurposed posted:

How is dognzb, by the way? When it first came out, it was horribly slow and just a pain to use. Has it changed much?

Its been great for me.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

kri kri posted:

Its been great for me.

Me as well, they also seem to post their stuff 5 to 10 minutes earlier so all my grabs are from them.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Only annoying part of dognzb is that search results don't get saved if you decide to look at details of a particular item (unlike nzb.su or nzbs.org)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
NZB.su seems to have stopped indexing files. What's a decent indexer that doesn't require an invite that's actually up right now?

e: Using the supernews 10 bucks for unlimited every month.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 21, 2013

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

NZB.su seems to have stopped indexing files. What's a decent indexer that doesn't require an invite that's actually up right now?

e: Using the supernews 10 bucks for unlimited every month.

I've been using Usenet-Crawler with pretty good success plus you don't need an invite.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
I saw earlier that dognzb will be open for registration on Black Friday. I've been using them for a few months. Pretty choice.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I haven't used this for a while now (years, since Newsbin was around, I used to use newsbin and binsearch)

Is it me or do all the indexers suck poo poo now? i've been http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/nzb-sources there and they all seem very limited.

Has it all just fizzled out or what

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've been using binary newsgroups since before indexers even existed and can't say I feel the same. Places like nzbs.org are better in terms of design and functionality than the original newsbin was. Only thing is a lack of searching specific groups, but I rarely use that.

Binsearch doesn't seem to have changed at all over the years from my experience.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've been using binary newsgroups since before indexers even existed and can't say I feel the same. Places like nzbs.org are better in terms of design and functionality than the original newsbin was. Only thing is a lack of searching specific groups, but I rarely use that.

Binsearch doesn't seem to have changed at all over the years from my experience.

Aren't all the good indexers closed to new signups? He probably only has access to the lovely ones.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Aaargh. Suddenly my Sick Beard/SABnzbd post processing doesn't seem to work, and I can't figure out why. I just noticed it today when I checked in on my media machine. The last successful post-process happened on Nov 19. No recent changes have been made to the machine, barring today when I updated Sick Beard in hopes that it would fix itself. It did not. The computer is running Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS (LEMP) and everything has been ticking along like clockwork for several weeks.

The "sabToSickBeard.py" script is failing with a block of pure Greek-to-me error gibberish. Sorry about the giant code block:

code:
500 Internal Server Error

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 660, in respond
    response.body = self.handler()
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/cherrypy/lib/encoding.py", line 193, in __call__
    self.body = self.oldhandler(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/cherrypy/_cpdispatch.py", line 25, in __call__
    return self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/webserve.py", line 1596, in processEpisode
    result = processTV.processDir(dir, nzbName)
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/processTV.py", line 108, in processDir
    process_result = processor.process()
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/postProcessor.py", line 858, in process
    notifiers.plex_notifier.update_library()
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/notifiers/plex.py", line 167, in update_library
    xml_sections = minidom.parse(urllib.urlopen(url))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/xml/dom/minidom.py", line 1920, in parse
    return expatbuilder.parse(file)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 928, in parse
    result = builder.parseFile(file)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 207, in parseFile
    parser.Parse(buffer, 0)
ExpatError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 254
Attempts at manual post processing yield the same results. I also just noticed that trying to run the Plex media server update widget from inside Sick Beard fails the same way. I'm at a bit of a loss. On the surface it looks like a Python problem, but...I'm not a Linux pro by any means. Between my meager knowledge and Google I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting unfamiliar scenarios, but no amount of search engine fuckery has turned up a solution for me this time. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Things were going so well!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Acid Reflux posted:

Aaargh. Suddenly my Sick Beard/SABnzbd post processing doesn't seem to work, and I can't figure out why. I just noticed it today when I checked in on my media machine. The last successful post-process happened on Nov 19. No recent changes have been made to the machine, barring today when I updated Sick Beard in hopes that it would fix itself. It did not. The computer is running Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS (LEMP) and everything has been ticking along like clockwork for several weeks.

The "sabToSickBeard.py" script is failing with a block of pure Greek-to-me error gibberish. Sorry about the giant code block:

code:
500 Internal Server Error

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 660, in respond
    response.body = self.handler()
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/cherrypy/lib/encoding.py", line 193, in __call__
    self.body = self.oldhandler(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/cherrypy/_cpdispatch.py", line 25, in __call__
    return self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/webserve.py", line 1596, in processEpisode
    result = processTV.processDir(dir, nzbName)
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/processTV.py", line 108, in processDir
    process_result = processor.process()
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/postProcessor.py", line 858, in process
    notifiers.plex_notifier.update_library()
  File "/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/notifiers/plex.py", line 167, in update_library
    xml_sections = minidom.parse(urllib.urlopen(url))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/xml/dom/minidom.py", line 1920, in parse
    return expatbuilder.parse(file)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 928, in parse
    result = builder.parseFile(file)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 207, in parseFile
    parser.Parse(buffer, 0)
ExpatError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 254
Attempts at manual post processing yield the same results. I also just noticed that trying to run the Plex media server update widget from inside Sick Beard fails the same way. I'm at a bit of a loss. On the surface it looks like a Python problem, but...I'm not a Linux pro by any means. Between my meager knowledge and Google I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting unfamiliar scenarios, but no amount of search engine fuckery has turned up a solution for me this time. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Things were going so well!

It's hard to say without seeing your environment and your exact setup, but Expat is an XML parsing library.

This error tells you that it's failing to read the response from some URL, probably Sickbeard, because of a bad character. XML is generally URL-encoded, because having &, ", ', and bare > or <, and a lot of other things can cause problems. Maybe you have a directory name like "X & Y" which should be handled properly but isn't. Maybe the URL is returning it in a different language. I don't know. But Expat is trying to read it and bombing somewhere.

File a bug. If I have the free time in the next day or so, I'll give the code a once-over and see if I can easily spot a way for you to grab what URL it's trying to hit or exactly what it's going, I'll post. Otherwise try editing

/home/(user)/sickbeard/sickbeard/notifiers/plex.py, and at line 166, add:

code:
with open('/tmp/sickbeard.url', 'w') as f:
    f.write("%s\n" % url)
Then process it again, and `cat /tmp/sickbeard.url`. Open that URL with something (wget -O badxml ${some_url}) and put up on pastebin or a github gist so someone can tell you where the XML is bad and maybe you can resolve it without filing a bug.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Looks like Charter actually shut down their service one year ago.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

td4guy posted:

Looks like Charter actually shut down their service one year ago.

Nope. The reason he made his comment was because I'm currently using it as a backup.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
On Black Friday, DOGnzb is giving out 1,000 invites at http://dognzb.cr/register
They're a great indexer.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

On Black Friday, DOGnzb is giving out 1,000 invites at http://dognzb.cr/register
They're a great indexer.

You'll have to pay $10 after a week for a lifetime sub, but I found it worth it.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
They have a pretty great IRC community, too.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

evol262 posted:

It's hard to say without seeing your environment and your exact setup, but Expat is an XML parsing library.

Holy crap, that was a great explanation of things. Thanks! The whole error...ummm...tree? makes a whole lot more sense now.

I went in a slightly different direction for troubleshooting - I disabled the Plex notifier in SB and everything went right back to normal. I was able to manually post process my downloads folder and get all that stuff caught up without any issues, and SABnzbd is cheerily talking to SB again through the current queue.

For now I'll just leave it like that, since Plex will pick changes up on its own anyway. I'll try your suggestion for grabbing the offending URL when I've got a little more time to play with stuff.

Thanks again, the help is much appreciated!

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Acid Reflux posted:

Holy crap, that was a great explanation of things. Thanks! The whole error...ummm...tree? makes a whole lot more sense now.

I went in a slightly different direction for troubleshooting - I disabled the Plex notifier in SB and everything went right back to normal. I was able to manually post process my downloads folder and get all that stuff caught up without any issues, and SABnzbd is cheerily talking to SB again through the current queue.

For now I'll just leave it like that, since Plex will pick changes up on its own anyway. I'll try your suggestion for grabbing the offending URL when I've got a little more time to play with stuff.

Thanks again, the help is much appreciated!

Plex has never really worked correctly for me. It will not pick up changes on its own, I have to manually go in and do a deep scan. I'm not really worried about it right now due to the fact I barely use it, but it has always been a mild annoyance.

yugge
Aug 27, 2008

They're a great indexer.

Only a thousand?!? Is there any twitter or rss feed or somewhere to go to know when it goes live?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

yugge posted:

Only a thousand?!? Is there any twitter or rss feed or somewhere to go to know when it goes live?

From the site:

quote:

I guess it will probably last several hours. Will probably start around 7-8AM local time (GMT-6)

They have an IRC channel, #DOGnzb @ irc.synirc.net.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Isn't GMT-6 around 10pm PST on Thursday?
Or do I have my times all messed up?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

PST is -8, set your alarm for 5AM.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Newsgroupsdirect has a $10/mo Usenet+VPN deal going on right now:

http://newsgroupdirect.com/signup/black-friday.php

kick_start
Oct 26, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

They're a great indexer.

heads up, brothers - signups are open.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

BrosephofArimathea posted:

heads up, brothers - signups are open.

I almost goofed and kept refreshing the login page instead of the register page. :f5:
Got in though!

EDIT: This site looks pretty good.
EDIT2: Went to Supernews to reactivate my account but it's down. :saddowns:

pod6isjerks fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 29, 2013

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Still working as of 7am EST too!

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Still working at 7:45am EST :)

I just registered... I'm glad I was finally able to get a registration!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Is the Blocknews Black Friday deal only for new signups? Just shows regular price when I login.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Is the Blocknews Black Friday deal only for new signups? Just shows regular price when I login.

This says it starts at 11AM EST

NewsHosting is running a 1 year $59.99 unlimited deal

Dunno if they are any good.

crm fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 29, 2013

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've been using Supernews and am pretty happy, but certain posts have a lot of missing articles. I've sinced paid for Blocknews and completes a lot of them but sometimes stuff is still missing.

Is there a cheaper third usenet provider to fill in the remaining holes?

Here's what I've gathered:

Supernews = Giganews feed
Blocknews = Readnews feed

...so I would need something on a different feed just for filling some missing articles, etc.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Vinlaen posted:

I've been using Supernews and am pretty happy, but certain posts have a lot of missing articles. I've sinced paid for Blocknews and completes a lot of them but sometimes stuff is still missing.

Is there a cheaper third usenet provider to fill in the remaining holes?

Here's what I've gathered:

Supernews = Giganews feed
Blocknews = Readnews feed

...so I would need something on a different feed just for filling some missing articles, etc.

I would go with tweaknews. They're a European Usenet Service. If you sign up for the free trial and wait until it expires they should give you a deal for 250GB block for €11.
https://www.tweaknews.eu

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks!

I never thought about using an overseas provider like that. Do they typically have less articles taken down, etc?

What about if I used a US provider's EU servers? (like Supernews EU server)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

crm posted:

This says it starts at 11AM EST

NewsHosting is running a 1 year $59.99 unlimited deal

Dunno if they are any good.
I'd rather get Supernews by the year at $69.99 (link) just because you can't buy Giganews/Supernews block plans, so the only way to really include them is to use them as your main.

Been on Newsdemon for years now (I think) at $5.10/mo and happy with it, though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I think that's 69 euros which is about $94 USD. About $20 off the $9.99/mo plan I'm on so not bad but not wonderful either. Generally I've been happy Supernews but the past year my blocknews account has been hit pretty hard. I went from 10GB used of my 100GB block in June 2012 to 95GB used as of today so clearly its filling for a lot of missing stuff. Maybe I should check out Newsdemon instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

I think that's 69 euros which is about $94 USD.
:doh: Can't believe myself.