Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mu Zeta posted:

Cowboy Bebop sucks

Congratulations, you're the new Irish Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

Alright cool guys but this isn't GBS, I honestly want someone to sell me on the show, because I don't get it.

No, for real, it's not anime, so your original question makes no sense.

As far as selling you on the show, just start watching it and see if you like it? Avatar, obviously. Korra has produced a lot of mixed opinions and really isn't the place to start even if it is ostensibly another show.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

precision posted:

Alright cool guys but this isn't GBS, I honestly want someone to sell me on the show, because I don't get it.

AtLA was a well-animated children's show with some neat concepts and great score. Also decent voice acting. It was a fun 22 minutes and got more fun every season.

Korra is a sequel to a show a lot of us liked and had a promising first season that didn't live up to the expectations many of us had. The second season has continued that trend, although wasn't as good as the first one in my opinion.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

As someone who's watched both seasons I actually wouldn't recommend you on it, although I do think you should watch the prequel series Avatar: The Last Airbender.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

With the parade on in the background while I help with the cooking, I have to say that every time I see a promo for NBC's "Sound of Music: Live" or whatever, I keep thinking it's some sort of 30 Rock gag.

It doesn't help that Carrie Underwood looks a little like Jane Krakowski, and that I think I'm at the point where I need glasses.

I actually thought "Man, I hope that when 30 Rock comes back in January they have an episode where Liz is forced to do a live musical in a blatant, pandering attempt to pull in ratings." It would be a perfect excuse to do a musical episode too, which was the one television cliche they hadn't gotten around to yet.

And then I remembered that the show ended nearly a year ago. :smith:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There's some kind of weird "Lady GaGa and the Muppets" sing Christmas carols special on, and it's as bizarre as it sounds. :stare:

Also, gently caress this special because we all know John Denver and the Muppets is the best Muppets Christmas special. :colbert:

Fake edit: Holy drat, RuPaul is on next.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 29, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think it's super cute so far.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Korra chat is leaking and infecting other threads. I think we're getting to the point where the only viable solution is quarantine.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

Korra chat is leaking and infecting other threads. I think we're getting to the point where the only viable solution is quarantine.
I agree.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Then back to your cage.

SHOO! GO ON NOW! GET!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Deadpool posted:

World War K

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's some kind of weird "Lady GaGa and the Muppets" sing Christmas carols special on, and it's as bizarre as it sounds. :stare:

Also, gently caress this special because we all know John Denver and the Muppets is the best Muppets Christmas special. :colbert:

Fake edit: Holy drat, RuPaul is on next.

This was even stranger when compounded with the fact that Glee had an episode on at the same time where one character was hallucinating (and then creating) Muppets. After turkey time was over, my cousin-in-law pretty much forced us to watch Glee. Has that show become a parody of itself? Because... wow. It was probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen on TV in a while.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Is it just me or do Canadian shows (e.g. Continuum, Flashpoint) turn up the contrast/saturation much higher than equivalent US shows?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

futurememory posted:

After turkey time was over, my cousin-in-law pretty much forced us to watch Glee. Has that show become a parody of itself?

Pretty much. Glee was a great show about a group of weird theater geeks trying to put on a show until Fox realized it was a goldmine of Teenz Bop CDs and iTunes downloads. Now the show is an endless cavalcade of autotuned prettyboys getting teenage girls all hot and bothered with their non-threatening hairless bodies.

Its basically a CW show, but with singing.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

Todd VanDerWerff of the A.V. Club wrote a piece on the upcoming final season of Treme which featured this bit on the relationship between Treme and its predecessor, The Wire:

quote:

In his earliest musings on the series, Simon suggested that if The Wire was about what's wrong with American cities and systems, Treme would be about what was worth preserving. But it's possible to go even further than that. The Wire is about what happens when things fall apart, while Treme is about the hard, but necessary work of putting them back together again.

Treme is really underappreciated in my opinion, and that's a really cool way of looking at it in relation to Simon's other, more widely acclaimed show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fox has killed Glee with an overdose.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Fox has killed Glee with an overdose.
This is one of those few cases where I am fine with blaming absolutely everything on the writers of a show instead of the network.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

oshuaj posted:

Todd VanDerWerff of the A.V. Club wrote a piece on the upcoming final season of Treme which featured this bit on the relationship between Treme and its predecessor, The Wire:

Treme is really underappreciated in my opinion, and that's a really cool way of looking at it in relation to Simon's other, more widely acclaimed show.

I read this and it made me feel like it's finally time to watch it. So you would call that an accurate description?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

futurememory posted:

This was even stranger when compounded with the fact that Glee had an episode on at the same time where one character was hallucinating (and then creating) Muppets. After turkey time was over, my cousin-in-law pretty much forced us to watch Glee. Has that show become a parody of itself? Because... wow. It was probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen on TV in a while.

Last night, I was describing seeing Matthew Morrison in a Nazi outfit singing a showtune.

Before I could explain that it was from the Kennedy Center's salute to Mel Brooks, my fiancee's aunt said "Glee really got weird after I stopped watching."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There are an indescribable number of problems with Glee but the main problems that have brought the show down are these:

• A total lack of attention to continuity, leading to a world where only what happens in the moment matters
  • Attempting to highlight major social issues while simultaneously making jokes about other major social issues
  • Heavy handed pushing of emotional moments that lead to mawkish and manipulative speeches
  • Complete inability to plan a story arc
  • Poor song choices and poor cinematography during performances
  • Clinging to characters who are no longer relevant to the show
  • Turning Will Schuester into the most horrible human being on the planet

It's bad, y'all.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The second time I was flipping around and the gay male student character was in a room with a bunch of dudes in matching blazers, each with some emblem embroidered on it. The homosexual character was sitting or on his knees as some hairstyle with a human body stood directly before him, crotch to face. Their eyes gazed into each other as the camera slowly went around the room, showing the whole Uncanny Valley Club in all its ridiculously groomed ill repute. "Queer" is a perfect description as it was both strange and relentlessly gay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

soapgish posted:

The homosexual character

Oh, what a doe-eyed summer child you are.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Turning Will Schuester into the most horrible human being on the planet

It's bad, y'all.

I have to ask, what'd they do?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

IRQ posted:

Can whoever answers spoiler their answers? It's not that I'm worried about the episodes being ruined for me, it's that I straight up do not want to know ever what is going on in that show.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
It's not the kind of thing that really needs spoilering. Suffice it to say, whenever the opportunity presents itself for Will Schuester to be the worst possible friend/boyfriend/educator/role model, the character will sieze that opportunity like a pit bull locking its jaw on a threat to its master.

He does have redeeming moments, but they are easy to forget between all the terrible ones.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rarity posted:

There are an indescribable number of problems with Glee but the main problems that have brought the show down are these:

• A total lack of attention to continuity, leading to a world where only what happens in the moment matters
  • Attempting to highlight major social issues while simultaneously making jokes about other major social issues
  • Heavy handed pushing of emotional moments that lead to mawkish and manipulative speeches

It's bad, y'all.
I only really mostly watch Glee to see how terrible writing manifests itself, and take notes on how to not do that ever.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Watching Glee and having a positive experience is really easy as long as you follow these simple steps:

1. Watch the first season it its entirety. Wasn't that nice?
2. Stop watching Glee. It never gets better, no matter how much you watch it. Do not engage in morbid curiosity about what happens next. It all sucks. Sometimes it teases that it's going to improve but then it shits all over you, often several times during the same episode.
3. Repeat steps 1-2 until you're bored of watching the first season.
4. Find something better to do with your time.

See? It's super easy!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would even say "Stop watching Glee after episode 13". There is some decent stuff in the back 9 of season 1, but nothing better than in the first 13.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

precision posted:

I would even say "Stop watching Glee after episode 13". There is some decent stuff in the back 9 of season 1, but nothing better than in the first 13.

Will's wife's fake pregnancy is the only really bad thing about S1 and that's in the first half. Their loss at regionals is the perfect way to end it, and you can't skip Madonna week.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

It's bad, y'all.

You can level almost all of these complaints against this season of American Horror Story, too. Get it together, Ryan Murphy :smith:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

But is Glee worse than Secret Life? Because I've been background-binging that poo poo over the last few days and it is, hands down, the most laughably terrible show I've ever had the fortune to stumble upon.

Seriously, watch it if you have any kind of academic interest in the field of making TV shows, or like myself you're simply into trainwreck hate-watching for laughs, I can't think of anything that outdoes it. Not Girls, not Falling Skies, not Revolution season 1 or even the Newsroom's latest season. They all had redeeming features.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Will's wife's fake pregnancy is the only really bad thing about S1 and that's in the first half. Their loss at regionals is the perfect way to end it, and you can't skip Madonna week.

The ten minute Vogue homage was terrible mostly because Jane Lynch can't sing but also because it wasn't funny in the least. There's also the whole Jessie St. James plotline, where they dumped Quinn's baby and, of course, the Britney Spears Sex Riot in which a character named Jewfro literally cums on screen.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The thing about Glee was that it was never really good. It was just that the first few episodes seemed promising, as though they were going to develop into something strong, and a lot of people were continually fooled by this because, in fairness, they had been quite promising. At best, it was an okay show with potential very early into its run.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

IRQ posted:

These are just off the top of my head:

- Continually uses the glee club to hit on Emma, including putting on a production of Rocky Horror - with him playing Frankenfurter because the kid who was cast was too uncomfortable - because she had mentioned that she and her husband had seen it. I think he might also have performed Toxic with them, but that might have been a a fever dream.

- Told Yelled at one of his students, who had had a pretty hosed-up life and was clearly dealing with a lot of poo poo, to "grow up".

- Did a really racist performance of La Cucaracha while dressed in a poncho and sombrero, was called out on it by his latino student, did another really racist performance of something-or-other while dressed as a matador, was called out on it again, went to night classes taught by Ricky Martin to learn Spanish (keep in mind, Will was a Spanish teacher) before giving Ricky Martin the job as Spanish teacher and taking over as History teacher. He won Teacher of the Year that year.

- Stole his dead student's letterman jacket and let everyone blame the dead kid's best friend, and when said best friend came up to him in private pleading for him to believe that he didn't steal it, accused the friend of stealing it.

There's more but it happens so often now that it's all kind of a blur.

Cactus posted:

But is Glee worse than Secret Life? Because I've been background-binging that poo poo over the last few days and it is, hands down, the most laughably terrible show I've ever had the fortune to stumble upon.

Glee's worse because it still has small moments of genuine quality, which just make you depressed about how good the show could have been.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Should you watch Glee?

Do you have a tendency to flail and burst into flames when you experience something musically amazing? If yes, then watch the first 13 episodes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stanfield posted:

- Stole his dead student's letterman jacket and let everyone blame the dead kid's best friend, and when said best friend came up to him in private pleading for him to believe that he didn't steal it, accused the friend of stealing it.

It really says something that they even managed to have the goddamn Corey Monteith tribute episode have Will being an rear end in a top hat.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

soapgish posted:

showing the whole Uncanny Valley Club in all its ridiculously groomed ill repute.

I had no idea Glee was all about humanoid robots

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
So, the past 5 days I've been on a morphine drip in a hospital bed with the absolute worst television provisions I've seen in a hospital (NBC, CBS, ABC, TBS, TNT, USA, Nick, TVLand, 3 religious channels, OWN, MeTV, Cozi, History2-not regular History, TLC, Antenna TV, 3 ESPNS, and Fox News). The best things I've seen are Major Crimes. Friends reruns, WKRP (but only the Turkey Day ep over and over), How I Met Your Mother's new ep, and The Blacklist. Even Price and Jeopardy weren't entertaining to me this week. If that sounds like a lot, I wasn't allowed water the first 24 hrs, any liquid that wasn't clear the second, still most liquids the third day, and on the fourth I was allowed white bread and turkey with those same liquids. So, all of my entertainment had to come from TV, and even on drugs I didn't find much. What is some good TV I missed?

I forgot to note, a nurse got done with work and had DTTB in her iPad, letting me watch the first 2 eps. That was great.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

Should you watch Glee?

Do you have a tendency to flail and burst into flames when you experience something musically amazing? If yes, then watch the first 13 episodes.

I hate musicals and not in the good way. Do they say the word "sex" literally 50 times an episode? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stanfield posted:

These are just off the top of my head:

Holy poo poo. Part of me wants to see that trainwreck play out, but a much larger part of me is glad I gave up shortly after that hilariously stupid business with the gay kid moving in with his very not gay crush for reasons in season 2.

• Locked thread