Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Crashbee posted:

It'd be great if someone could do a run-down of all these skins as I have no idea who most of them are.

All the Arkham Origins skins :

1989 Batman I was talking about :

It's hard to get a decent image of the 1989 one because the film was shot really darkly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Skoll posted:

It's hard to get a decent image of the 1989 one because the film was shot really darkly.

That helped cover the fact the the costume looked like poo poo in decent lighting. The Returns and Forever costumes were better in that regard.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Skoll posted:

I know which one you were referring to, but there's over a dozen different Batmen in Origins now and I have no clue as to the stories behind most of them.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
MP only skins :argh:

Then again I also didn't buy the season pass.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sober posted:

MP only skins :argh:

Then again I also didn't buy the season pass.

Are the PS3 exclusive skins eventually going to be rolled into the season pass/separate DLC? No Adam West or Azrael is a bit annoying.

On top of that, the Batman Beyond skin is locked into an ios only app right?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MrJacobs posted:

That helped cover the fact the the costume looked like poo poo in decent lighting. The Returns and Forever costumes were better in that regard.

I'm not disagreeing, but I would like to see all the movie costumes represented. If they're gonna throw in the Begins Batsuit, might as well get the other ones as well.

Crashbee posted:

I know which one you were referring to, but there's over a dozen different Batmen in Origins now and I have no clue as to the stories behind most of them.

Just read about the Red Son one and you'll be satisfied. Well, the Red Son one and Batman Beyond.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I've been playing Arkham Asylum and Arkham City from the humble bundle. Finished Asylum, working on City now. I like City better, but how the hell did the way they do the riddles in City get past the the QA team (I might be missing something, but I googled and I'm not the only one with this opinion I think)? The challenges are cool, but I'm talking about the actual riddles. In Asylum it highlighted riddles that were in the current area you're in in the challenges screen, and it prompted you with them when you entered the room. In City it barely prompts you with them, and the only distinction for the riddles are these giant areas that have like 10 riddles each in them and the menu is a pain to browse through. It's so annoying to try and look at them that I've basically just been scanning interesting objects in the area given once I have them marked on the map rather than actually try and figure out which one I'm trying to solve. Am I missing something here, or was this just designed really loving stupidly?

Other than that, game rules though. I'm just obsessive so that's been bugging me.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

What's up with the Earth 2 Batman skin? Red Bat Logo, red eyes...he's some sort of vampire, right?

Also, the Thrillkiller outfit is kind of cool, but the hip-high boots make him look like Burlesque Batman or something.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

attackmole posted:

I've been playing Arkham Asylum and Arkham City from the humble bundle. Finished Asylum, working on City now. I like City better, but how the hell did the way they do the riddles in City get past the the QA team (I might be missing something, but I googled and I'm not the only one with this opinion I think)? The challenges are cool, but I'm talking about the actual riddles. In Asylum it highlighted riddles that were in the current area you're in in the challenges screen, and it prompted you with them when you entered the room. In City it barely prompts you with them, and the only distinction for the riddles are these giant areas that have like 10 riddles each in them and the menu is a pain to browse through. It's so annoying to try and look at them that I've basically just been scanning interesting objects in the area given once I have them marked on the map rather than actually try and figure out which one I'm trying to solve. Am I missing something here, or was this just designed really loving stupidly?

Other than that, game rules though. I'm just obsessive so that's been bugging me.
AC just has a fuckton of riddles, especially in the overworld, so it usually only prompts one environmental riddle when you transition into a new area until you solve it, rather than maybe occasionally cycling through them.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Seventh Arrow posted:

What's up with the Earth 2 Batman skin? Red Bat Logo, red eyes...he's some sort of vampire, right?

Also, the Thrillkiller outfit is kind of cool, but the hip-high boots make him look like Burlesque Batman or something.

I think he is. I know he's undead in one of the skins.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Skoll posted:

I'm not disagreeing, but I would like to see all the movie costumes represented. If they're gonna throw in the Begins Batsuit, might as well get the other ones as well.

The Begins suit isn't in the game.

When the gently caress do they do they just get lazy and port over Robin from AC? I don't even give two shits about new gadgets or anything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sober posted:

That is for AA.

:cripes:

The Riddler would have a field day with me.

Pleatherface
Oct 24, 2004

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think that outfit was an alternate reality where Bruce is killed and his father becomes Batman instead. I may be wrong on this.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pleatherface posted:

I think that outfit was an alternate reality where Bruce is killed and his father becomes Batman instead. I may be wrong on this.

You're correct. That's the Flashpoint Batman.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Seventh Arrow posted:

Nope, just a scary old man.

Seventh Arrow posted:

TK takes place in the early 60s, and you can't do that without some hip-high boots, baby.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Arkham City drove me nuts whenever I tried to find ONE SPECIFIC OBJECTIVE. It's much easier to just float about and look for the occasional riddle or trophy or sidequest.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Whelllp... I know some of you were asking about it.. but it turns out WB removed the Worst Nightmare skin from the game.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Worst-Nightmare-Batman-Skin/m-p/62937#U62937

Turns out PS3 and 360 players get different skins, PC users get zip. Typical.

EDIT :

Worst Nightmare

Skoll fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 28, 2013

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Skoll posted:

Whelllp... I know some of you were asking about it.. but it turns out WB removed the Worst Nightmare skin from the game.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Worst-Nightmare-Batman-Skin/m-p/62937#U62937

Turns out PS3 and 360 players get different skins, PC users get zip. Typical.

Why would they do this? :confused:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A couple of weeks ago, I found out that the whole switch from GFWL to Steam gave me Arkham City GOTY for free, it's a separate entry in my games library, so I decided to binge through and get all the achievements again, because I'm dead inside.

I found some stuff I never knew before despite finding what I thought were all the Easter eggs.
In the Top of the World predator map, I never noticed that you could climb above the control room where Dr Strange hides out. It makes surveying room much easier, though still a bit hard if the guy with the jammer backpack is up because the henchman are often under it.
I also never knew that Catwoman could throw caltrops and bolas while climbing on a ceiling, or that Nightwing could target and throw eschrima sticks at enemies directly through walls and objects and it would ricochet around to them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Why would they do this? :confused:

It probably was causing some kind of glitches that it was easier to remove than fix.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So Amazon has the PS3 digital version on sale for $30 for Black Friday. Would you recommend it at that price? I understand that it's really more of the same, but I loved Asylum and City.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Pablo Gigante posted:

So Amazon has the PS3 digital version on sale for $30 for Black Friday. Would you recommend it at that price? I understand that it's really more of the same, but I loved Asylum and City.

For 20-30$ its a good deal, because it really feels like an expansion pack to City. Just roll your eyes every time they re-use something from the first games.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'll say story wise, Origins is the best one so far.

Other than that, what iuvian said. It basically feels like an expansion and some of the combat timing is messed up. For $30 dollars though, it's not bad.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HenessyHero posted:

It was the best skin because somehow that steel blue still blended into most of the environments making it a practical choice.

That's because dark blue is actually a better color than black for stealth purposes, it's a night vision thing.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

How is this glitch-wise on PC right now? Have they patched it up somewhat?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if some enterprising modder will be able to kludge the Arkham City skins into Origins...the Beyond and Sinestro Corps skins were my favorites...

I don't even know if this would be feasible at all, the batman model looks nigh identical to City's, and a lot of the animations are recycled.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

I wonder if some enterprising modder will be able to kludge the Arkham City skins into Origins...the Beyond and Sinestro Corps skins were my favorites...

I don't even know if this would be feasible at all, the batman model looks nigh identical to City's, and a lot of the animations are recycled.

They're already in the game, they're just only available in multiplayer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

They're already in the game, they're just only available in multiplayer.

Well, I eagerly await either a DLC pack that makes them available in single player or someone to find a memory edit or something that accomplishes that, haha.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

What's the difference between the normal and the extreme challenge maps? The extreme combat maps just seem to have higher point trophies while the extreme predator maps seem to have harder goals. Is that pretty much it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

What's the difference between the normal and the extreme challenge maps? The extreme combat maps just seem to have higher point trophies while the extreme predator maps seem to have harder goals. Is that pretty much it?

Extreme combat maps have different enemy configurations and the enemy AIs tend to be a bit more aggressive.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yes. Also different enemy variety. Extreme predator rooms will usually have a bunch of armoured enemies and ones with mines and at least a jammer, for example. I'm kinda sad that booby-trapped vantage points weren't a default thing going from AA to AC. Same with gun lockers in extreme combat rooms, as those became modifiers for custom challenges or for campaigns instead.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I want to try out the game, but hearing that the timing on combat is messed up (my main reason to replay challenge maps over and over) and that I knew Deathstroke was gonna be a robin reskin from the trailer, I don't think it's worth 50 bucks. Not even with the GMG voucher making it 35 bux I feel is not worth the trouble.

And yet, I still want to buy it.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 29, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

I want to try out the game, but hearing that the timing on combat is messed up (my main reason to replay challenge maps over and over) and that I knew Deathstroke was gonna be a robin reskin from the trailer, I don't think it's worth 50 bucks. Not even with the GMG voucher making it 35 bux I feel is not worth the trouble.

You have to break some habits from AC, especially regarding combat (but going back isn't that big a deal since combat is almost mostly a lateral move going from AC minus the enemy types in AO), that's about it. Gadgets range from functionally the same (glue grenade) to slightly gimped versions (like the concussion detonator) to interesting (remote claw in predator rooms).

Deathstroke isn't a complete Robin reskin, but awfully close. Since you don't have it yet anyway, might as well wait until they put the DLC on steam and discount it cheap.

Did you miss the 20$ amazon deal?

fake edit: It's still 20$

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Fargin Icehole posted:

As far as I can tell, combat's pretty much identical in timing for the combat challenges, but for the story the enemies seem to be a LOT more aggressive. Also I think they have different behaviour? I'm not sure if that was in City but I've noticed that the street level guys never attack more than one at a time while more elite dudes will double or triple attack. I actually find that easier because the street dudes will go like: one attack -> counter -> immediately attack again which messes my timing. Elite dudes will have that 'pause' where you can set up your own poo poo.

Some of the moves have less invincibility frames too, like you can be punched during the flip part of quick-detonator or during the third ultra-stun swish.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can I play Origins BEFORE I play City???

I picked up the PS3 Black Friday Bundle that came with Origins.

From what I understand it's a prequel to both Asylum and City as far as the time-line is concerned, but what about any game play enhancements? Will City seem like a step back if I play Origins first???

TIA.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not really. I mean Orgins plays exactly like City. City just feels a bit more polished. Origins just plays it safe and doesn't really introduce anything new.

Except the remote batclaw which is pretty cool.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's sounds dumb, but I think it'd be neat if they allowed your costume damage to actually reflect how much badly you've been getting your rear end kicked kick instead of having it pre-rendered. I assume the costume damage in these games is predetermined no matter how well you do with the fights, but I'd get a kick out of going into the final boss with just a few scratches on me and maybe one bullet hole in my cape.

Also, mother loving gently caress blade takedowns and knife guys. I couldn't do them in City and damned if I can do them in Origins either.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Blade takedowns do seem a bit harder in Origins...usually I'll only attempt it if I have that freeflow super-slowdown mode happening.

Arkham City also had a challenge map with lots of knife guys, so it was easy to practice.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, mother loving gently caress blade takedowns and knife guys. I couldn't do them in City and damned if I can do them in Origins either.

My foolproof way is holding down the counter button until the guy finishes a knife swing* and you're perfectly safe for a brief moment, let go for like a micro-second, then go back to holding the button down again. Repeat for as many swings as the guy/gal makes. The timing is tricky in origin's storymode though but you can practice it in the batcave under easier circumstances.

*If you let go too early, you'll take damage. Wait until the guy's recovering from the swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

It's sounds dumb, but I think it'd be neat if they allowed your costume damage to actually reflect how much badly you've been getting your rear end kicked kick instead of having it pre-rendered. I assume the costume damage in these games is predetermined no matter how well you do with the fights, but I'd get a kick out of going into the final boss with just a few scratches on me and maybe one bullet hole in my cape.
They did this in AA, actually, at least in the challenge rooms.

• Locked thread