Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM PYDOYKS WITH THE 19:12

God drat and he just keeps going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I think for games like hl2, portal, a good commentary makes all the difference.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Elendil004 posted:

Good commentary makes a lot of difference regardless of the run.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

My problem is that I can never really tell what the runner is doing to exploit glitches and whatnot. It's the ego perspective. Some things are obvious, others kinda enigmatic... Suddenly, they're doing jumps three times as far! How? By wiggling the stick and turning or whatever! Didn't know that, huh?

I guess you either have to be more invested in the game or have a very informative commentator to enjoy those runs.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The Fab Five (feasel, flicky, PJ, duckfist, Mecharichter) are doing a marathon for travel expenses to AGDQ at http://www.twitch.tv/mecharichter

Schedule at bombch.us/Qus

gently caress im so bad at links

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 29, 2013

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Your url includes the period at the end, so remove that if you want it to work correctly.

But anyway, thanks for the reminder. Needed something to distract me from writing a paper.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Shabadu posted:

The Fab Five (feasel, flicky, PJ, duckfist, Mecharichter) are doing a marathon for travel expenses to AGDQ at http://www.twitch.tv/mecharichter.

Schedule at bombch.us/Qus

Your link includes the period, people should either remove it or click this link.

e: f;b

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

My problem is that I can never really tell what the runner is doing to exploit glitches and whatnot. It's the ego perspective. Some things are obvious, others kinda enigmatic... Suddenly, they're doing jumps three times as far! How? By wiggling the stick and turning or whatever! Didn't know that, huh?

I guess you either have to be more invested in the game or have a very informative commentator to enjoy those runs.
This is why *GDQs are so awesome. You can't expect streamers to comment every single run, especially when they are going for attempts but the explanations the good runners give at marathons make the runs a million times better than watching attempts.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wadjamaloo posted:

This is why *GDQs are so awesome. You can't expect streamers to comment every single run, especially when they are going for attempts but the explanations the good runners give at marathons make the runs a million times better than watching attempts.

And having a crowd of excited people behind them really helps withe the energy. Still waiting for a runner to setup a green screen and put himself in front of a cheering crowd.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
A cheering crowd of Blueglasses.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Philip J Fry posted:

I just watched the highlight reel of SGDQ 13 this afternoon. Great vid, it's really nice having the best of the best distilled into a movie-length video, so props to AU for making that happen.

But man, Blueglass is just insufferable sometimes. The very definition of cringe-worthy. Is he well liked in the community or is my opinion closer to the general consensus?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

timp posted:

I just watched the highlight reel of SGDQ 13 this afternoon. Great vid, it's really nice having the best of the best distilled into a movie-length video, so props to AU for making that happen.

But man, Blueglass is just insufferable sometimes. The very definition of cringe-worthy. Is he well liked in the community or is my opinion closer to the general consensus?

People seem to "like" him sort of as some kind of weird mascot complex? I don't know. The way people express their enthusiasm for blueglass always seemed sort of mocking, like they're making fun of him but he doesn't really seem to get it so they just double down. I mean, I find him kind of annoying too, but unless people are genuinely that enthusiastic it's kinda :smith:. Could be way off the mark.

Then again most people on twitch streams are horrible so I won't pretend to understand them.

e: vvv things about enthusiasm and support is definitely true.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 30, 2013

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
He's probably the most excited person in the entire speedrunning community about the marathons and tries his hardest to support every single speedrunner there was at the marathon. He's pretty socially awkward, yeah, but not in a negative way. I don't mind him too much anymore.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Blueglass is always thrilled, and he was present for almost every single runner both at AGDQ and SGDQ, even in runs where there were essentially no other people in the crowd. He owns.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Cannot Find Server posted:

Blueglass is always thrilled, and he was present for almost every single runner both at AGDQ and SGDQ, even in runs where there were essentially no other people in the crowd. He owns.

This, he supported literally everyone. That makes him own a lot because everything was awesome for him.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Every runner that's talked about Blue says he's a super nice guy and very well informed as well.

He's just a little to excitable but I don't consider that a negative quality to have.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Philip J Fry posted:

This is only acceptable if they also have a Blueglass laugh track whenever someone tells a joke.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dizz posted:

This is only acceptable if they also have a Blueglass laugh track whenever someone tells a joke.

Blueglass and Rich Evans laugh track

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Is Bluegrass the guy in the pink shirt? Because I can appreciate his enthusiasm but he reminds me of the sort of people that I quit various kinds of nerd fandom to be able to avoid.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Blueglass has a laugh that sets my teeth on edge. He talks just one sentence too much. The very gyrations of his body make me shake my hands.

That said he should be there because he's loving happy and enthusiastic and a sweetheart. I want to throttle his goddamn noisy neck but he has every right to be there, and he runs Ecco the Dolphin which is a game I love. I can imagine his devotion and enthusiasm is infectious with other runners there, and that's a good thing. He really gives it his all and I admire that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

'Liking' Blueglass and demanding he sit up front is as much a meme as 'best/worst Final Fantasy' is by now. That got loving insufferable in one of the last marathons. I just remember one donation that listed about 60 random games, ending with 'is the worst Final Fantasy'.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So in unrelated news, my desktop is now fixed. (I say "fixed" but really most of the components have been swapped out for New And Improved™ ones)

This means I can finally get back to recording and streaming, so I'm planning to have at least one longer solo stream session and one streaming get-together with ozzy and WERY and Jinny and the other chaps in the vicinity before Christmas. Got a few new games (which are all fairly short XBLIGs) added to my speedrunning repertoire since last time, too!

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Black August posted:

and he runs Ecco the Dolphin which is a game I love

Yeah, I knew exactly the guy everybody was talking about just by his description.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

'Liking' Blueglass and demanding he sit up front is as much a meme as 'best/worst Final Fantasy' is by now. That got loving insufferable in one of the last marathons. I just remember one donation that listed about 60 random games, ending with 'is the worst Final Fantasy'.

You're really cynical and negative if you think that liking someone is a meme. He's a little grating but I 100% genuinely am happy he's at the marathons.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

flatluigi posted:

You're really cynical and negative if you think that liking someone is a meme. He's a little grating but I 100% genuinely am happy he's at the marathons.

Some people are glad he is there because he supports runners, lots of them are glad he is there because he does funny stuff they can post on 4chan about.

Overall he reminds me a lot of those kids in high school everyone "liked" but made a hell of a lot of jokes about behind their back, or even sometimes to their face because the person didn't know better and was just happy to have friends :smith:.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

He's probably the most excited person in the entire speedrunning community about the marathons and tries his hardest to support every single speedrunner there was at the marathon. He's pretty socially awkward, yeah, but not in a negative way. I don't mind him too much anymore.

Cannot Find Server posted:

I didn't think of it as "supporting" every runner by being there, that is a good point. To be fair it comes across as him having nowhere else to go or no one else to be with when you see him in the background of every single one.

Black August posted:

Blueglass has a laugh that sets my teeth on edge. He talks just one sentence too much. The very gyrations of his body make me shake my hands.

That said he should be there because he's loving happy and enthusiastic and a sweetheart. I want to throttle his goddamn noisy neck but he has every right to be there, and he runs Ecco the Dolphin which is a game I love. I can imagine his devotion and enthusiasm is infectious with other runners there, and that's a good thing. He really gives it his all and I admire that.

I can get behind this sentiment. His actions are admirable, but his face and sentences and laugh and very being and AAAUUUGGH :tizzy:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I wish someone taught him how to clap and I wish he knew his laugh is always a 10 when there is never, ever a need for it to be that loud. That's the only thing that ever really gets to me with him, just a very piercing laugh that is always as loud as it can be even when the rest of the room just lets out a chuckle.

But that's who he is and he seems really nice so it's whatever, we all have our idiosyncrasies.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

timp posted:

To be fair it comes across as him having nowhere else to go or no one else to be with when you see him in the background of every single one.

In one video (I'll try to find it) you can hear him in the background being told to go to bed while he whines about wanting to stay. I really think he has some developmental issues and the GDQ marathons are like a babysitting/socialization event for him.

I'm also onboard the "I'd like him if he wasn't so annoying" train, but god, if you need to tell a grown adult to stop yelling and squealing like a child, there's problems beyond general awkwardness.

e: here's the video

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 30, 2013

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

He acts like a small child. I'm sad that he won't be running Ecco at AGDQ though.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I agree that a lot of people "ironically" like Blueglass.

I am neutral towards him. He supports the runs more than anyone else, but he also talks too much and can make runs less enjoyable.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nerve posted:

I agree that a lot of people "ironically" like Blueglass.

Or maybe they just actually like him. :rolleyes:

I'm glad he won't be AGDQ this year, if only so the thread isn't full of goons sperging out over his presence and laugh.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Alteisen posted:

Or maybe they just actually like him. :rolleyes:

I'm glad he won't be AGDQ this year, if only so the thread isn't full of goons sperging out over his presence and laugh.

Yeah, there are probably a lot of folks that do, I didn't say there weren't.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I just realized that I do not think that I have ever seen anyone run Game Gear games. I'm assuming there is a technical reason for this? Or more that almost no one has Game Gears... Or were GG that universally bad? I thought GG Shinobi was pretty neat. :(

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I know people have ran the GG sonic games.
This is a run of Sonic 1 on GG: http://youtu.be/IzYKdn09YVQ

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I agree with this. Genuine enthusiasm is a refreshing change from all the "YOLO" and "swag".

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

If you guys want some speedrunner drama, there's a Cronikeys and Cosmo slapfight going on twitter right now. https://twitter.com/cosmowright/status/406605368626647040

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ToastyPotato posted:

I just realized that I do not think that I have ever seen anyone run Game Gear games. I'm assuming there is a technical reason for this? Or more that almost no one has Game Gears... Or were GG that universally bad? I thought GG Shinobi was pretty neat. :(

There weren't a ton of amazing GG games. And some were just rebadged Master System games.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ToastyPotato posted:

GG games are pretty bad honestly.

Play Sonic 2. Probably the worst sonic game ever made.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Shindragon posted:

GG games are pretty bad honestly.

Play Sonic 2. Probably the worst sonic game ever made.

My aunt had that game and she would let me borrow it occasionally since I had a GG too. I hated that game with every fiber of my being. :(

Still have the GG with the same four games. Shinobi, Spider-Man, G-lock, Columns. I would have figured Shinobi would be a game people would run what with the Mega Man style level selection and powers gained on boss defeat, and how the powers can effect how fast you finish certain levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

ToastyPotato posted:

Weird you posted this today, because Werster and Boredeathly have been duking it out for WRs in everyone's favorite GG Sonic game, Tails Adventure. It's a loving crazy glitchy mess.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredeathly/c/3314460

Here's the current WR set pretty recently, and Werster has been grinding out attempts every day.

• Locked thread