Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of power armor, that's one thing that definitely needs a reworking. Right now, power armor is basically complete poo poo, because it has no carrying capacity at all and you can't wear it in combination with anything. If you don't find a hauling rig you are essentially hosed and limited to whatever you can wield in your hand, plus maybe a few bullets. They don't actually do anything special, so there is never really any reason to wear a power armor when you could have anything else whatsoever that's similarly protective.
Well they do maintain a perfect temperature inside the armor when powered but yeah, it makes no sense that you can't craft a rig by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think most of us can agree that Cataclysm is a pretty fun experience but it could use a serious balance overhaul to actually become a challenging and consistent game.

And I hope none of the developers take offense off of this statement cause I really enjoy it but it's very uneven experience as far as challenge and gameplay progress is concerned, if you survived the first few in-game days you pretty much just need a bit of patience and you get to decide which skills you'd like your character to abuse in order to become the ultimate killing machine.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
What's the easiest way to get up tailoring and fabrication? I don't seem to have enough materials to just make loads of one thing. Also do harder recipes give more xp?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Infinite Monkeys posted:

What's the easiest way to get up tailoring and fabrication? I don't seem to have enough materials to just make loads of one thing. Also do harder recipes give more xp?

Both are actually pretty easy:

- For tailoring, just get some thread (eventually you'll build up a supply just by raiding houses) and a sewing kit (or bone needle, that's survival) and try and fix/upgrade the heaps of ruined clothing you get from killing zeds. Eventually you can make socks bandanas, which are dirt cheap in terms of both rags and thread. If you need rags, cut up clothes or break a window and cut the sheet it drops.

- For fabrication, break wooden stuff or go into a forest, make pointy sticks forever.

vvv: Oh yeah, bandanas are the most cost-effective ones to make for tailoring. Go with his suggestion.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 29, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I use bandanas to train tailoring. You can either cut them up afterwards to lose a rag, or disassemble them to use up thread. Which you do depends on what you have an excess of really, although neither is hard to come by (just smash a few windows).

For fabrication you can just make and disassemble something like makeshift knives or knife spears over and over again, they don't use up materials on disassembly.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think most of us can agree that Cataclysm is a pretty fun experience but it could use a serious balance overhaul to actually become a challenging and consistent game.

And I hope none of the developers take offense off of this statement cause I really enjoy it but it's very uneven experience as far as challenge and gameplay progress is concerned, if you survived the first few in-game days you pretty much just need a bit of patience and you get to decide which skills you'd like your character to abuse in order to become the ultimate killing machine.

They can fix the challenge when they've made more progress on the features. I don't get the demand everyone has to make the game more hardcore and remove op items.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I'm seeing a piercing beam of light turning things to rubble around me. What is this?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Flaming eye.

Run, run like the wind!

Actually for creatures pulled from a nightmarish dimension, they're not all that dangerous. You're probably fine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Annoying as gently caress, though, especially because their eye lasers give you teleportation sickness. The holes they make can also let nastier monsters come at you.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah a flaming eye just gave me the shakes and it hasn't gove on away after two in game days, does it ever get cured?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It should go away when the telesickness does, which will happen naturally after it's hosed around with you a bit. Royal jelly might cure it, I can't remember.

Details of the gently caress aroundy bits are here: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Teleglow

Cardiovorax posted:

Annoying as gently caress, though, especially because their eye lasers give you teleportation sickness. The holes they make can also let nastier monsters come at you.
Yeah. If you keep your distance they generally don't hit you with the stare though, and you get plenty of warning what with buildings disintegrating around you.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 29, 2013

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
So let me get this straight: wearing anything on your torso gives you a point of encumbrance, which directly gives you a minus to your melee and dodge? How is it possible to be successful with a melee character and still carry around everything you need? Seems ridiculous.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Darth Windu posted:

So let me get this straight: wearing anything on your torso gives you a point of encumbrance, which directly gives you a minus to your melee and dodge? How is it possible to be successful with a melee character and still carry around everything you need? Seems ridiculous.

The melee and dodge penalty is actually negligible in the long term, the real issue is that it makes each attack take longer. Still, encumbrance in the 2-3 range is a perfectly reasonable compromise most of the time (especially once you get to the point where you can one-shot zombies).

It's possible to get 100+ storage space and zero encumbrance on all slots, but it's generally a dumb idea if you plan on investigating labs or other endgame areas because turrets/robots are bullshit and will insta-kill you unless you're totally coated in kevlar, and sometimes even if you are.

Also, refit your clothing and it'll encumber you less.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 30, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Your ideal outfit for light overworld raiding is something like this:

Army Helmet
Sunglasses
Filter Mask (encumbers you but gently caress ambient diseases forever, also Quick cancels out the penalty)
Utility Vest/Chest Rig
Tactical Gloves
Army Jacket (trenchcoat if you can't find one)
Army Pants (cargo pants, same story)
Combat Boots
Military Rucksack

Plus as many zero-encumbrance miscellaneous storage items as you can add without hitting the stacking penalty -- tool belts, holsters, drop leg pouches, tactical grab bags, etc. If it's winter, add cotton hats, glove liners, socks, that sort of thing. You end up with 2 torso encumbrance and 2 mouth encumbrance but you can carry a ton of loot and you're practically invulnerable to zombies 1v1 and even in small groups.

Ultimately you'll want to upgrade the boots, gloves, helmet, and vest to their "survivor" versions, and if you expect to go up against enemies that can shoot back, forget all of this and get real armor.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Darth Windu posted:

Unless it's changed again you can wear two 0 encumbrance fitted clothing items on your torso without penalty. I believe it's only a single item anywhere else. Ideally, you want to keep as little encumbrance your legs, feet, and arms so you can run and fight and anything under 4 is usually good for your torso. If you think your going to be fighting something nasty that's going to be hitting you like turrets in a lab then loading up on armor within reason is probably a good idea.

A lot of it is adjusting your attire to the situation. Also vehicles and carts so your not lugging around a bunch of poo poo you don't immediatly need.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 30, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

On an unrelated note: what happened to the book to get you to Computers 3? I've seen lots that get you up to 2 and others that get you from 3 up to higher levels but not a single one for 2->3. Computers is one of the hardest skills to train, too, since trying to use them on an unskilled character destroys them before you can gain a level and sometimes spawns robots on top of that.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

What the hell's happening, all of my stats were reduced to zero and I can't move. I also took huge damage to every body part for some reason.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Infinite Monkeys posted:

What the hell's happening, all of my stats were reduced to zero and I can't move. I also took huge damage to every body part for some reason.

You're dead drunk, diseased, hungry, and thirsty. That tanked your stats, including strength, and with zero strength your carrying capacity is tiny so you're being crushed under all the poo poo you're carrying.

Basically, pay attention to the message log.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Infinite Monkeys posted:

All of those things in red in the top right can reduce stats if they are severe enough, and stuff like being "wasted" and having a cold probably isn't helping. And it all stacks.

Also if you didn't know drinking alcohol actually dehydrates you!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

They can fix the challenge when they've made more progress on the features. I don't get the demand everyone has to make the game more hardcore and remove op items.

Speaking of which, is there a design document anywhere that lays out the long term plans for the game? I'd like to contribute but I'm not so sure what would fit when I can roam the wastes as a furry samurai.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

I started as a hobo, got some awesome poo poo and I was on my way back from my run to town for food and water so that I could start detoxing. I've played a bunch of hobos before and this has never happened... Is there anything I can do short of lie here and wait to die?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

Speaking of which, is there a design document anywhere that lays out the long term plans for the game? I'd like to contribute but I'm not so sure what would fit when I can roam the wastes as a furry samurai.

If you check out the forums, the developers do list some of their short and long term plans, and you're free to make your own additions, although it'll be up to them to make the final say. Still, even if it doesn't fit the game, it might make for a good mod once the mod manager is done, so go for it. Right now I think some people are working on coding NPCs.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I started as a hobo, got some awesome poo poo and I was on my way back from my run to town for food and water so that I could start detoxing. I've played a bunch of hobos before and this has never happened... Is there anything I can do short of lie here and wait to die?

You can wait with | and some of that poo poo should wear off, which should hopefully let you move some, drink some water if you have it so you can at least get rid of the thirst, and take any stimulants you may have. Also drop everything so you're not in agony then your pain will start to decrease.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Drop everything, go to the shelter and go downstairs and sleep it off. Maybe read a magazine (or anything that is for fun/+morale) while detoxing to help things go by faster. Depressant effects from addiction are no joke, as a hooker you can be really strong and quick while addled on crack but once you start to run out you need to beeline back to a safe place otherwise your speed will tank to 25 and stay there until a day and a half passes or something comes to eat you, usually the latter.

e: Ahahah Dodging 8, man the dodge skill is broken as gently caress.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Did you pump dodging like what at character creation? i'm boggled you got it to 8 on day 1.

Do things disappear when you put them in the back of a flatbed? I swear I've thrown like three crowbars back there but they keep disappearing. The jerrycan has stuck around luckily. Maybe I'm just misplacing poo poo.

This guy is going really well. I just need to find a way to clean up water on the regular, I could've sworn I had some water cleansing tablets but maybe I confused it with iodine...anyway I'm raiding a hotel in hopes of finding a pot but no luck yet. There's a hardware store I can get to but I'm wary of taking my pick em up truck into town...just driving it near the hotel brought out a ton of zeds, but I just did donuts in the parking lot until they were all splattered. Won't be able to do that in the cramped city streets.

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 30, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It is surpremely easy to grind dodging completely accidentally by using a pipe or something to block sewer rat attacks while dodging every other hit. It's even more hilarious when they come around when you're sleeping because you just sleep-dodge your way into several free levels of dodge skill overnight.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's possible to get 100+ storage space and zero encumbrance on all slots, but it's generally a dumb idea if you plan on investigating labs or other endgame areas because turrets/robots are bullshit and will insta-kill you unless you're totally coated in kevlar, and sometimes even if you are.

Wait really?

Last I played, turrets were an amusing if annoying enemy because of their complete inability to penetrate anything thicker than a polo shirt.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Wait really?

Last I played, turrets were an amusing if annoying enemy because of their complete inability to penetrate anything thicker than a polo shirt.

Most of time turrets are a joke, but sometimes they'll get lucky and gently caress you up real good. I've opened a door to a turret room ready to do my thing and it shot my characters loving arms off with a single burst. I couldn't shoot back obviously or really run because of the pain, so it just blasted my dude in the knees caps until he bleed out since it couldn't penetrate their vest or helmet.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 30, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Wait really?

Turrets have to get lucky but are still far more dangerous than anything you can dodge (seriously, a character with 10+ dodge is functionally immune to melee attacks), and Secubots will straight-up murder you.

I basically don't lose characters after the initial setup phase to anything except enemies with guns.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I had a character get their head blown off in one turret volley. Since then, I don't really like loving with them.

Having full night vision is handy for lab clearing since the turrets can't see you.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Turret stats got bufffed a little before 0.9 and are now pretty terrible at their max range, within 10 squares they're reasonable and right up close it's possible for them to pretty much blow off a limb before you can react.

In regards to the clothing chat don't forget to fit, reinforce and then layer them in the '+' menu.
I have 172 volume storage with 0 encumbrance on any body part. (Except 1 on mouth/eyes but that's by choice and head doesn't matter)

Dodge being broken due to blocking and rats it's annoying. On my current ranged character I had dodging 9 and I've barely gone into melee combat. All from rats attacking me whilst working on my vehicles. (I used debug to reset it because it annoys me)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Turrets have to get lucky but are still far more dangerous than anything you can dodge (seriously, a character with 10+ dodge is functionally immune to melee attacks), and Secubots will straight-up murder you.

I basically don't lose characters after the initial setup phase to anything except enemies with guns.

I'd agree that as ranged enemies they're certainly more dangerous than most of the enemies in the game, but I've never actually sustained injury while wearing clothes from a turret unless I decide to rub my face on the gun barrels (which obviously is bad for you).

It's definitely important to make sure you have good protection everywhere when dealing with them, I can see them being a problem if you can't get armor for your arms or face (a common problem) but as long as you make sure you're protected everywhere I generally run straight into a military outpost and just ignore the turrets, spraying blood everywhere but taking no damage.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Strumpie posted:

Turret stats got bufffed a little before 0.9 and are now pretty terrible at their max range, within 10 squares they're reasonable and right up close it's possible for them to pretty much blow off a limb before you can react.

In regards to the clothing chat don't forget to fit, reinforce and then layer them in the '+' menu.
I have 172 volume storage with 0 encumbrance on any body part. (Except 1 on mouth/eyes but that's by choice and head doesn't matter)

Dodge being broken due to blocking and rats it's annoying. On my current ranged character I had dodging 9 and I've barely gone into melee combat. All from rats attacking me whilst working on my vehicles. (I used debug to reset it because it annoys me)

Mind sharing your outfit?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Military Outposts aren't that bad, since once you've seen one you know exactly where the turrets are going to be ahead of time, plus you can see them from a million miles away and just lob EMP grenades or whatever. On the other hand I've probably lost four or five characters in labs because I rounded a corner into a turret nest or failed a Computers check on a console and wasn't wearing a heavy survivor suit / power armor at the time.

(I'm going to from here on out, which kind of sucks because it means you have to take a second trip to get any kind of serious looting done, but whatever, beats being dead.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Military Outposts aren't that bad, since once you've seen one you know exactly where the turrets are going to be ahead of time, plus you can see them from a million miles away and just lob EMP grenades or whatever. On the other hand I've probably lost four or five characters in labs because I rounded a corner into a turret nest or failed a Computers check on a console and wasn't wearing a heavy survivor suit / power armor at the time.

(I'm going to from here on out, which kind of sucks because it means you have to take a second trip to get any kind of serious looting done, but whatever, beats being dead.)

There is a peek function, if it helps you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

There is a peek function, if it helps you.

I knew about it, but the first few times I tried it out I got shot at anyways and didn't really see the point.

I suppose it probably adds some kind of cover or dodge factor that I don't know about because nothing's got up-to-date documentation.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
That's one of the reasons I rarely go into labs without at least High Night Vision. You can walk around without a flashlight, and as long as you're careful you can always spot turrets before they spot you.

The really annoying thing is when you mess up a computer and it spawns a Secubot right next to you. Either you have to take him down right away and hope you can tank the explosion, or you waste a turn stepping back and risking a point-blank stream of bullets in the face.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
From my experience a turret usually won't shoot you on the first turn you spot it, you have plenty of time to either take a step back or just turn off your flashlight and shot it yourself.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

If you don't have the memory of a goldfish, you can flick a flashlight on and then off to keep from spending any of the batteries. It's a bit cheaty but can be a little handy sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, it sounds fine, it's what I would do if I were creeping around a lab and knew that turrets were bad at seeing in the dark. What's more fascinating is why all the flashlights lying around are lovely old bulb flashlights that eat batteries in seconds instead of nice LED flashlights that last for several hours.