Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sitting at an intersection waiting to turn left today. Heavy traffic.

Light turns yellow, oncoming traffic slows, I go ahead and gun it.

Then find out the guy in the F-350 behind me gunned it over the median to go around me. Gotta be the first time I've nearly been t-boned by someone behind me. No contact, though the pizza I was trying to deliver wound up all over my dash/carpet/windshield from me nailing the brakes once I realized "ohshittruck".

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
I'm pretty convinced that 99.9% of people who complain about being tailgated are the same idiots going the speed limit in the left lane. The only time it's acceptable to complain about someone following too close is if you're already in the far right lane, AND going at least the speed limit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't bitch unless I'm either in the far right lane or the lane next to it (assuming it's not 2 lanes each way) and can't pass. I try to stick to the right lane in general on highways, I don't have big enough balls to do 95 in a 60 (anymore).

Surface streets though, I usually use the middle lane.

In any event, just go with traffic goddamnit. Don't be speed racer, don't be Granny Blue Hair doing 20 in a 60.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

some texas redneck posted:

In any event, just go with traffic goddamnit. Don't be speed racer, don't be Granny Blue Hair doing 20 in a 60.

This, in Denver, is impossible. 90mph in a construction zone? What? You can't hit 105!?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

watwat posted:

I think so. The obvious answer is to brake check the tailgater until he speeds by in rage.

no, the obvious answer is to drive a car with a remote trunk release and fill the trunk with popcorn, packing peanuts, bubble bath foam, or live birds beforehand

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I will never understand why people glare at you when they do something stupid. Unless they're just really stupid. I guess I figured it out, didn't I?

I love that "oh shiiiiiit" face people pull when they realise they've completely hosed up on a roundabout and it's only some quick braking that's just kept you from plowing into their door. I had one person a couple of weeks ago make it all the way out into the middle of the road before even looking my way and spotting me doing an emergency stop, who then had the gall to mouth some words my way before speeding off again. My car isn't small and my headlights are on unless it's the brightest of sunny days, I'm not a fan of making myself hard to spot. :allears:

(My current car is also the first I've owned with ABS, and that was the first time I've engaged it in 1 1/2 years of driving it. I had a proper little panic moment before realising what it was making the brake pedal vibrate. :v: )

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

StormDrain posted:

I've found the only way I can truly relax while being tailgated is to 'turn off' my mirror by pointing it toward the sky. I try to do so in such a manner that it's obvious I don't want to look at the person behind me. When I need to change lanes later I'll aim it and hopefully the troubles have passed, or crane my head around to check blind spots.

Krakkles posted:

I'd have to say anyone who ignores things on the road on purpose deserves a mention in this here thread.

Geirskogul posted:

These seriously have to be top-rate GBS trolls, right?

watwat posted:

I think so. The obvious answer is to brake check the tailgater until he speeds by in rage.

As a Miata driver, I identify more with flipping the rearview up when someone is three feet off of my trunk with their highbeams on and they won't pass when I slow to 20 under the limit. Also, at no point did StormDrain claim he was ignoring the tailgater. For instance, the side mirror on the Miata is positioned in such a way that even when properly aimed, I can dip my head over and get a pretty good look at my six. I had a guy follow me for 9 miles in this fashion the other morning, and couldn't be bothered to go around, even when I was doing 40 in a 55 in the far right side of the lane to let him pass.

I have no idea what I did to set this motherfucker off, but driving with your rearview focusing that amount of light into your eyes is stupid, especially when there's enough light coming in at the right angle that it's bright enough to read one of my sci-fi paperbacks.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Man driver's ed really needs to tell people about that little switch on rear view mirrors that dims that poo poo (unless that's what you guys mean by flipping up the mirror and not like, moving the whole housing out of the line of headlights). I polled some of my friends on this a while back and only ~30% of them knew it existed. I didn't until someone here mentioned it.

e: FWIW I didn't take driver's ed and got a half assed education from a few friends

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

rscott posted:

Man driver's ed really needs to tell people about that little switch on rear view mirrors that dims that poo poo (unless that's what you guys mean by flipping up the mirror and not like, moving the whole housing out of the line of headlights). I polled some of my friends on this a while back and only ~30% of them knew it existed. I didn't until someone here mentioned it.

e: FWIW I didn't take driver's ed and got a half assed education from a few friends

That's what I'm referring to, at least. With the guy that followed me the other morning, it was still too bright on the dim setting. Then again, three feet off of my bumper (at sixty goddamn miles per hour :wtc:)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Haha I just remembered a good one. I was on the interstate with cruise control on and some lady in a Sebring convertible merged on and then over the course of a couple minutes absentmindedly synchronized her speed to mine and slowed down and pulled back about 1/16 mile until she was next to me. After a minute driving right next to me she just completely blew her top road raging because I was driving next to her. I'm guessing she wanted to move (without signaling of course) to some other lane and I was "blocking her" out, but this was a completely open stretch of six-lane interstate and she had all the options in the world in free movement. She literally just went from sitting there doing nothing to leaning out of the car gesturing wildly with both hands and then awkwardly swerving and accelerating away. She had her (boyfriend/brother) in the pass. seat and it just looked like the most embarrassing situation ever for him. I got the impression she might have done things like this in the past. The road was one of those combined-interstate dealies so I was in the number 3 lane from the right waiting for my exit in a couple miles doing nothing at all out of the ordinary except driving with cruise control on minding my own business.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Savington posted:

I'm pretty convinced that 99.9% of people who complain about being tailgated are the same idiots going the speed limit in the left lane. The only time it's acceptable to complain about someone following too close is if you're already in the far right lane, AND going at least the speed limit.

I usually go 5 to 15 over the limit unless it's a highly patrolled area or in the city/suburbs and I still get tailgated a lot. In fact I'd say most of the times I get tailgated are when I'm speeding when there's no passing lane. Or I'm on the same road with a slow car in front of me and someone kissing my rear bumper (do they think tailgating me will make me tailgate the next car?) I'm convinced a lot of people don't use their speedo or understand traffic flow and just mash the gas until something is in the way.

On another note I had a plastic bag stick to my car for 30 miles. THESE ARE THE BAGS YOU SHARE THE ROAD WITH. Have fun in Seattle, little bag.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 30, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Savington posted:

Nope. Proper following distance is always the responsibility of the driver doing the following.

You have the responsibility to maintain proper following distance in front of you because that is the direction your car is moving and where most of your attention is (or should be) focused.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Drunken Lullabies posted:

On another note I had a plastic bag stick to my car for 30 miles. THESE ARE THE BAGS YOU SHARE THE ROAD WITH. Have fun in Seattle, little bag.

Ugh, every time I drive near a plastic bag blowing in the wind I freak out momentarily about having to pull it off my driveshaft and exhaust in the next few kilometers.

That's why I always tie mine off before I throw them in the recycle bin.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
The only time I get tailgated is when I'm on a two-lane highway where both lanes are congested with the left only going about 5mph faster than the right. You know the setup, you've been frustrated by it before.

What I really don't get is why some people insist on crawling up my rear end when they can see that the traffic flow is homogeneous for the next mile or two ahead; there's no point in asking me to speed up or move over, the next guy is a second ahead going the same exact speed!

Anyway, what I do with tailgaters is gently put my foot on the brake to flick the brake lights on and hit the gas so I either speed up or stay the same speed. This greatly confuses the person behind me who falls back to leave room.

Oh, there was one time where I was driving down an almost empty highway in the middle of three lanes. Some woman came up behind me talking on her phone and started tailgating me. The left lane was clear, the right lane was clear, I was doing 5-10mph over the limit but she just had to sit half a second off my bumper. So I just let off the gas. I went from 70ish mph down to 40mph before she caught on and passed me. She immediately sped up to the next car in front of me and sat half a second off of their bumper. Why.

I had a yellow-jacket do this once (a wasp, not a jacket!). He sat on my window sill (window was up) right as I was pulling away from home and hung on for about 5 minutes until I got on the highway. Ballsy little guy hunkered down and held on until about 50-60mph. God-speed, you little real-life motivational poster.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 30, 2013

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Drove up to Pennsylvania from Long Island this morning and ill say 90% of people in the left lane moved over for faster traffic best ride I've had in a while.
Honorable mentions. The good
Guy in the white dodge caravan with blue wheel well flames you rock
Guy in the slate gray charger with the police package wheels looking boss

The bad
rear end in a top hat in the red f150 doing 10 under traffic who's valve train I could hear 2 lanes over gently caress you
Fucktard in the small SUV towing a uhaul trailer with your fogs on hope your trailer blows a tire.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best tailgater solution is to set the cruise control exactly at the speed limit and keep on truckin'. Either they'll pass at the first opportunity, or you get to entertain yourself as they sit back there slowly cooking themselves into a rage.

Only downside is when they get home they come to some thread just like this one, bitching about the rear end in a top hat in his shitbox driving like a glacier. I wish I got to see that thread. :smith:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It would warm the cockles of my blackened heart if a tailgater worked themselves into an aneurysm behind me one day. I really don't understand how somebody can get so angry about going the speed limit (usually faster).

Maybe I'm a bad person for it but I've started just wishing horrible things on the morons I see daily. gently caress 'em.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
These are the people you share the road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjgT8Af1kGc

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Solar Coaster posted:

These are the people you share the road with.

I like how everyone just walks away at the end like "whelp, gently caress that guy."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Terrible Robot posted:

It would warm the cockles of my blackened heart if a tailgater worked themselves into an aneurysm behind me one day. I really don't understand how somebody can get so angry about going the speed limit (usually faster).

Maybe I'm a bad person for it but I've started just wishing horrible things on the morons I see daily. gently caress 'em.

I feel the exact same way about tailgaters and aneurysms. I do the speed limit (never more than 10kph over on my speedo) and I obey the laws of traffic, I drive courteously, I stop at marked pedestrian crossing, I don't enter intersections if I know I'll be trapped in it, I keep right except to pass and so on. If they don't like that, they can go suck a bag of dicks. I hope their blood pressure spikes so high that a vein bursts and kills them.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Dave Inc. posted:

I had a yellow-jacket do this once (a wasp, not a jacket!). He sat on my window sill (window was up) right as I was pulling away from home and hung on for about 5 minutes until I got on the highway. Ballsy little guy hunkered down and held on until about 50-60mph. God-speed, you little real-life motivational poster.

I had a huge aphid or some other green bug hang onto my girlfriend's wiper from tacoma to seattle, it even stayed on through the rain and using the wiper and it was still alive.
At the end of summer

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

Haha I just remembered a good one. I was on the interstate with cruise control on and some lady in a Sebring convertible merged on and then over the course of a couple minutes absentmindedly synchronized her speed to mine and slowed down and pulled back about 1/16 mile until she was next to me. After a minute driving right next to me she just completely blew her top road raging because I was driving next to her. I'm guessing she wanted to move (without signaling of course) to some other lane and I was "blocking her" out, but this was a completely open stretch of six-lane interstate and she had all the options in the world in free movement. She literally just went from sitting there doing nothing to leaning out of the car gesturing wildly with both hands and then awkwardly swerving and accelerating away. She had her (boyfriend/brother) in the pass. seat and it just looked like the most embarrassing situation ever for him. I got the impression she might have done things like this in the past. The road was one of those combined-interstate dealies so I was in the number 3 lane from the right waiting for my exit in a couple miles doing nothing at all out of the ordinary except driving with cruise control on minding my own business.

I set my cruise control at the speed limit too. When I go to pass people they then speed up and stay right alongside me or in my blindspot. :doh:

Also that guy on the scooter was drunk maybe? That must be a decent size well, did you see the delayed splash?

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
^^^^

My dad rages that "no one is letting me in" and won't use his turn signals because "that will give away my next move and they will get ready to cut me off" he also hits curbs a lot. He's almost 70 though and he's only been in 1 accident in the last 30+ years, which wasn't his fault at all (I was present for it) so he won't listen to any advice. I didn't have a car for most of last year (thanks drunk drivers!) and getting rides from him was legitimately a very scary experience.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CharlesM posted:

I set my cruise control at the speed limit too. When I go to pass people they then speed up and stay right alongside me or in my blindspot. :doh:

Also that guy on the scooter was drunk maybe? That must be a decent size well, did you see the delayed splash?

The splash was immediate (you can see it) but it gets darker as it soaks into the concrete.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

^^^^

My dad rages that "no one is letting me in" and won't use his turn signals because "that will give away my next move and they will get ready to cut me off" he also hits curbs a lot. He's almost 70 though and he's only been in 1 accident in the last 30+ years, which wasn't his fault at all (I was present for it) so he won't listen to any advice. I didn't have a car for most of last year (thanks drunk drivers!) and getting rides from him was legitimately a very scary experience.

Has he ever pulled out the "I have X years of driving experience" card at all, that would hit every salty old driver note then.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Control Volume posted:

Has he ever pulled out the "I have X years of driving experience" card at all, that would hit every salty old driver note then.

This is my dad. He is not necessarily a safe driver, but he is a remarkably lucky one. No accidents in 25 years (unless you count the time he backed our enormous truck into the Corvette).

He also says that you shouldn't start signaling until you start your lane change. Not entirely coincidentally, he learned to drive in Los Angeles in the 1970s.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
One time I was doing 80 in a 65, and following rather too close to a Highway Patrolman. This was back when I had the boxy Jeep SJ, so I kinda blocked the view. Some jackass was riding my rear end, so I tapped the brakes -- not a brake check, just flashed the lights to let him know I knew he was there -- so of course he changed lanes without signaling and floored it, then swept back into the right lane (again without a blinker). The Trooper lit him up immediately, and I changed lanes (with blinker) and continued on my way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Delivery McGee posted:

One time I was doing 80 in a 65, and following rather too close to a Highway Patrolman. This was back when I had the boxy Jeep SJ, so I kinda blocked the view. Some jackass was riding my rear end, so I tapped the brakes -- not a brake check, just flashed the lights to let him know I knew he was there -- so of course he changed lanes without signaling and floored it, then swept back into the right lane (again without a blinker). The Trooper lit him up immediately, and I changed lanes (with blinker) and continued on my way.

Baiting people into doing stupid poo poo in front of traffic enforcement is an age-old tradition. My favorite is initiating street races in places you know there are cops, and then just rolling softly up to the speed limit while the other guy launches, and gets tagged almost immediately.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Right after the last Fast and Furious came out (as we walked out of the theater after the first showing), a bunch of my friends and I saw two ricers revving at each other in the foxboro stadium parking lot. The second they started moving the blue lights came on and they all got busted, it was awesome.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

West SAAB Story posted:

This, in Denver, is impossible. 90mph in a construction zone? What? You can't hit 105!?

Yeah, Denver drivers are some impatient shits. I've been in the leftmost lane going 20+ over the speed limit and this STILL isn't fast enough for some stupid idiot.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 22, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Happened this morning on my Enfield. I was puttering along at 40 in a 40 during the sparse 5am traffic, and a brobiker in all black leathers and a mirrored facemask was weaving unnecessarily behind and around cars behind me. He catches up to me at a red light, and I'm blipping my throttle a little to keep the motorcycle from dying in the cold. He must have thought I was trying to race, because he took off and hit probably 70-9p mph within the block.

I didn't see him for long (he disappeared quickly) but I did see some blues-and-twos in the distance about where he would have been at the time. I like to think it was cops catching him :unsmith:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Speaking of bikers, I remember one time I actually called the cops on a guy because he was passing a line of cars on a one lane road going at least 70mph. The speed limit is 40. Nobody thinks you're cool, guy, especially when you're literally in the lane for oncoming traffic.

I don't know if they ever caught him, but as soon as the road opened into multiple lanes, he was weaving too. Had no body protection either, just T-shirt, jeans and helmet. One wrong step and he'd have irreparable road rash.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

Because I like to drive fast, and I appreciate it a great deal when others don't go out of their way to make it difficult or unsafe for no reason, I tend to move over if I see someone coming up behind me faster and can do so safely.
Yup. I had someone the other day change lanes without indicating on a roundabout to block my path. I don't even think they were intentionally closing the door on me, they were just loving stupid.

Also, the guy in an Audi who, at the next roundabout, pulled out into the second "straight on" lane, clearly with the intent that he could nip round the roundabout quicker than the cars which, up until that point, had been in front of him. Unfortunately, the speed he entered, navigated, and left the roundabout proved he didn't really mean it, and this was distinctly irritating for me, because I was barrelling up in that lane already, and I really did mean it. He didn't even floor it when he (unsurprisingly) left the roundabout exactly level with the "slower" traffic he'd pulled out to go past.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If someone wants to go way faster than you in the left lane then just let them by. Bait cars for speed traps are an essential part of my "always going 20+ over the limit" strategy on highways.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

Baiting people into doing stupid poo poo in front of traffic enforcement is an age-old tradition. My favorite is initiating street races in places you know there are cops, and then just rolling softly up to the speed limit while the other guy launches, and gets tagged almost immediately.

Back in my ricer Civic days :cripes: I'd have people rev at me at lights constantly.

Had a Celica rev at me at a light. Looked over, revved back, we rev a few more times.

Light turned green, he peeled out leaving the light post-haste while I took off pretty much at idle. I guess he didn't see the cop sitting behind him at the light, but the cop definitely saw him. Cop was laughing his rear end off when he passed me :v:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

some texas redneck posted:

Back in my ricer Civic days :cripes: I'd have people rev at me at lights constantly.

Had a Celica rev at me at a light. Looked over, revved back, we rev a few more times.

Light turned green, he peeled out leaving the light post-haste while I took off pretty much at idle. I guess he didn't see the cop sitting behind him at the light, but the cop definitely saw him. Cop was laughing his rear end off when he passed me :v:

As I drive a Honda Prelude and live in a suburb, you'd imagine I get a lot of ricers trying to flaunt their poo poo. There's also a police station less than a 10 minute drive from my house, so cops are everywhere.

As such (and through a dumb mistake of my own) I learn to spot cops pretty easily, and there's nothing more satisfying than watching some dumbshit kid in his fart cannon'd lawnmower get pinged by a cop. I really should get a dashcam and show you guys all the morons I see.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
70 Car pileup in Worcester.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPgeZlwFDmc

I figured I should post it either here, in NEAI, or straight to Kastein's thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Coming home tonight I was behind a newish Jeep with the two right tires blown out, driving on the rims. I mean the tires are absolutely shredded and flapping along the ground, sparks flying off the metal. We're on a long stretch of road with nowhere to really safely turn off. Finally we pass a gas station and they turn right, but not into the parking lot. They keep going as if it's nothing. I know, "I will deal with this poo poo tomorrow," but come on...