Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

James The 1st posted:

Just how necessary would you guys say a gamepad is?

I tried using mouse, and can't stand not being able to use the mouse to look around without turning. I don't have a steering wheel or gamepad or anything, so I just got used to tapping the keyboard for steering. You get used to it after awhile and can make almost any turn safely unless you space out or something. If you have the money, definitely get a gamepad to use though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Rincewind posted:

I just got back into this game since Going East was on sale and my new computer can actually run the game on decent settings!

I'm always hungry for more places to drive around in, and it looks like http://www.ets-2.com/euro-truck-simulator-2/maps/ has a bunch of mods that add to the map. Are any of them any good?

TSM is probably the most popular since it adds a ton of new areas from Spain and Portugal to Greece and even some stops on Africa like Egypt, Libya, and Tunis. http://ets2.lt/en/tsm-map-version-4-x/

You will also probably need the mapzoom fix so you can see the whole map which they don't include by default for some reason. To save you having to navigate their terrible site: http://uploaded.net/file/0b3hebig

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I played using keyboard to steer and mouse to look around for a while. It's not bad but it's fiddly and distracting the way that trying to steer with a keyboard always is, trying to measure out just how many times to tap how frequently for how long in order to steer. It became much more relaxing when I switched over to using my 360 pad and my TrackIR.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Does anyone know what I need to edit to turn off damage?

e: nevermind, figured it out

Dragonwagon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 30, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

darnon posted:

You will also probably need the mapzoom fix so you can see the whole map which they don't include by default for some reason. To save you having to navigate their terrible site: http://uploaded.net/file/0b3hebig

Mapzoom no longer needed with 1.6+ as it will let you right-click drag to pan the map in the job market and also automatically centers to your current location on the map

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

James The 1st posted:

Just how necessary would you guys say a gamepad is?
Not at all, it controls perfectly well with just KB. I suppose it might be worth it to have an analog stick to look around at crossings more easily, but that's about it. A gamepad or wheel is by no means needed for this game.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

santanotreal posted:

I tried using mouse, and can't stand not being able to use the mouse to look around without turning.

IIRC, hold the right mouse button while moving the mouse.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why would you use the mouse to steer? I'll never be able to understand that. :psyduck:

Sure it allows smoother movement than the keyboard but it seems really awkward.

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013
Since we're discussing controls, does anyone know of any wheels + pedals that won't break the bank? I will probably use them for ETS2 exclusively so i don't want to shell out too much.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Well, if you get TSM there's also a mod called JPM that works well with it. It tunes some stuff to make the game more fun.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Do you like heavy loads?

http://ets2mods.org/2013/11/railway-cargo-pack-by-jazzycat/

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is there any guide to get started with modding ETS2? More specifically, I want to make more maps.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

long gone posted:

Since we're discussing controls, does anyone know of any wheels + pedals that won't break the bank? I will probably use them for ETS2 exclusively so i don't want to shell out too much.
Logitech Driving Force GT is usually recommended as an entry-level wheel. I use it with ETS2, Gran Turismo 5 and iRacing and it works great, the only drawback is the lack of a clutch pedal (and H-shifter, if you care for that sort of thing). I paid about 100 euros for this thing and couldn't be happier with it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cool theres an underground train there! I'm gonna try that out, hope it doesnt mess with my trailerskin mod.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Dragonwagon posted:

Does anyone know what I need to edit to turn off damage?

e: nevermind, figured it out

Please share because I would love to know this.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Cowman posted:

Please share because I would love to know this.

If you have a map mod, look in the def folder. (use 7zip or something to open the mod) You will find a file called game_data.sii. In that file you will find an entry for truck damage and trailer damage. Set them to zero to become the fist of an angry god.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it also possible to change the weight of the enemy cars, trucks and buses so you can punch through a long queue without slowing down scattering them like leaves before a storm? :black101:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Achernar posted:

If you have a map mod, look in the def folder. (use 7zip or something to open the mod) You will find a file called game_data.sii. In that file you will find an entry for truck damage and trailer damage. Set them to zero to become the fist of an angry god.

I don't have any map mods installed since getting the DLC. Is the one in the OP good for the current update? I liked the old one a lot. I also want a trailer pack so I can haul tanks and poo poo.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
There I am, driving a big concrete ...something down the autobahn from Stutgard to En..something. I'm listening to my french talk radio having a pleasant drive. It starts raining; so I, reasonably, turn on my wiper and lights. Well, fast forward 5 or 10 minutes and I'm coming up on my turn, the little truck computer thing bonks me for 400 euro for a headlight infraction. I'm so surprised by this I blow my turn and crash my truck, doing like 9 grand in damage. This subsequently makes me late for my delivery getting me dinked 1,000 euro for late delivery penalty. Basically having my headlights on in the rain wound up costing me loving 10 grand.

This could be the best game ever.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I just put that in the second post of the thread.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't you have to hit the lights button twice for actual headlights, not just the positional lights?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 1, 2013

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Don't you have to hit the lights button twice fof actual headlights, not just the pisitional lights?

Yeah, it's probably this.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I don't know about that. All I know is I could see light.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Yeah, if you hit the lights only once, you're just bringing up your running lights. Hit it again to actually turn on "headlights." Running lights don't count, apparently.

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Logitech Driving Force GT is usually recommended as an entry-level wheel. I use it with ETS2, Gran Turismo 5 and iRacing and it works great, the only drawback is the lack of a clutch pedal (and H-shifter, if you care for that sort of thing). I paid about 100 euros for this thing and couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks. It's currently $115.13 (~25% off) on Amazon if anyone else is interested in a wheel. A little much for me though.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Well that's some bullshit. Still awesome though.

I could be about to default on my loans though, I hired two employees, got them brand new Volvos to drive. One does about 2 grand a day profits, the other does like 300 bucks. I think he's on the marijuana and just fucks around all day. I checked his skills, hes got 1's in all the base skills minus economy and I've got his training focused on the Hazmat certs. If that fucker doesn't get his act together I'm laying his rear end off, I don't give a poo poo if his kid needs an operation - you pull your weight or you get let go!

edit: Also discovered I can link my World of Trucks profile to my in-game so now I have bitchin' vanity plates. "GO90 LOL"

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

PadreScout posted:

Well that's some bullshit. Still awesome though.

I could be about to default on my loans though, I hired two employees, got them brand new Volvos to drive. One does about 2 grand a day profits, the other does like 300 bucks. I think he's on the marijuana and just fucks around all day. I checked his skills, hes got 1's in all the base skills minus economy and I've got his training focused on the Hazmat certs. If that fucker doesn't get his act together I'm laying his rear end off, I don't give a poo poo if his kid needs an operation - you pull your weight or you get let go!

edit: Also discovered I can link my World of Trucks profile to my in-game so now I have bitchin' vanity plates. "GO90 LOL"

Train points in long distance.

One point in high value cargo and lots in long distance gives the biggest profit from your peons.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Looks like another new truck will be in 1.8, although it doesnt realy look that much different from the current scania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k03gQaBlqxc

1.8 isnt out yet right?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
According to the video you linked (last few minutes) 1.8 will be this week. Unfortunately the improved physics and AI won't be in this update, which was actually what I was looking forward to. Oh well, at least the new truck is alright I guess.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

bald and fail II posted:

1.8 isnt out yet right?

Not yet. The coding team is still working on the AI improvements from what I understand, so the modeling team is going nuts with new trucks while they wait.

So new Scania in 1.8, and the DAF will most likely be in 1.9 unless they get it done before 1.8 goes out the door.

EDIT: Sorry was skipping through the video and missed that part about the delays on AI and Physics.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm level 12, got 4 points in long distance and 1-2 in rest (except eco driving). What should I increase next? Eco driving sounds tempting, since 700 bhp Volvo flying at 130 kph burns around 1 liter of diesel per kilometer travelled.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

alex314 posted:

I'm level 12, got 4 points in long distance and 1-2 in rest (except eco driving). What should I increase next? Eco driving sounds tempting, since 700 bhp Volvo flying at 130 kph burns around 1 liter of diesel per kilometer travelled.

ADR is good because those jobs s are usually good for making money, but I like high value, too. Eco driving is pretty useless, you're not going to be saving much, really. You're going to burn a Lot of fuel at 130, even with it maxed

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Ecodriving does fuckall when you have the realistic fuel consumption enabled.

Though for your employees it still works

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So, I just had to drive a load of tomatoes from Luxembourg to Lyon through a torrential thunderstorm with a glitched out wiper.

Bombing through the twisty french roads at 125 Kmph in the middle of the night in a massive storm when you can't see poo poo is equal parts :gonk: and :black101:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

ADR is good because those jobs s are usually good for making money, but I like high value, too. Eco driving is pretty useless, you're not going to be saving much, really. You're going to burn a Lot of fuel at 130, even with it maxed

I've got explosives and hazardous, does any of the other give better money?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

So, I just had to drive a load of tomatoes from Luxembourg to Lyon through a torrential thunderstorm with a glitched out wiper.

Bombing through the twisty french roads at 125 Kmph in the middle of the night in a massive storm when you can't see poo poo is equal parts :gonk: and :black101:

I hope they add the ability to lean out the window looking forward with the rift.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

I hope they add the ability to lean out the window looking forward with the rift.

If ever there was a feature that needed adding to Dog-Mod, it is this.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sorry if this has been asked before but, what are the go-to mods for this game?
I've seen recommendations for mods elsewhere but apparently they don't work on newer patched versions of the game.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Seconding that this wheel is loving awesome. I got into iRacing with a bunch of friends a few years ago and we all picked these up. It's served me really well for a huge variety of driving games. Only complaint is the lack of a clutch pedal, but that's not super relevant for ETS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

Not yet. The coding team is still working on the AI improvements from what I understand, so the modeling team is going nuts with new trucks while they wait.

So new Scania in 1.8, and the DAF will most likely be in 1.9 unless they get it done before 1.8 goes out the door.

EDIT: Sorry was skipping through the video and missed that part about the delays on AI and Physics.

Yeah I didnt watch the whole video, a bit dissapointing we wont get the ai and physics though. But its pretty cool they are still making new content for free. Honestly its stuff like this that makes me want to support a company and buy dlc, unlike certain other companies that just expect people to spunk money on day one dlc and season passes.

• Locked thread