Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I did a complete uninstall/reinstall and got everything set up the way I want as far as I can see, but when I launch skse through mod organizer the game starts up windowed at what looks like 1280x720. It launches the game in windowed 1280x720 as well if I try launching the regular skyrim.exe through MO as well, the only way it launches fullscreen is when SkyrimLauncher.exe gets launched through either MO or steam, but since I need skse to actually play that doesn't really help. What's going on here?

The uncapper is also installed if that makes any difference but it's not listed in the screenshot since I installed it directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dr Snofeld posted:

Does using a shield count as having armour on? I ask because I want to revisit my unarmed and shield Khajit Captain America

Catpain America.

In vanilla at least, shields do not count as armor. I don't know about unofficial mods and patches.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

I'm using the Seasons of Skyrim ENB preset which looks great up close but over long distances...

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/451780708336453280/32FAA4D11CCF48F6ED50095FA128F029ED6AB734/

I feel like the fog is way too dark, is it supposed to look like that or did I do something wrong installing the mod?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

I did a complete uninstall/reinstall and got everything set up the way I want as far as I can see, but when I launch skse through mod organizer the game starts up windowed at what looks like 1280x720. It launches the game in windowed 1280x720 as well if I try launching the regular skyrim.exe through MO as well, the only way it launches fullscreen is when SkyrimLauncher.exe gets launched through either MO or steam, but since I need skse to actually play that doesn't really help. What's going on here?

The uncapper is also installed if that makes any difference but it's not listed in the screenshot since I installed it directly.

Launch the Skyrim Launcher through MO, go to options and enable full-screen/your native resolution then exit out. It should save it into your MO profile's SkyrimPrefs.ini properly then.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

That did it. Thanks!

It loads up fullscreen and I fixed the other mistake I had myself (forgot to run the .jar for the dual sheath mod), but running into this after spending a good two hours setting things up basically killed any desire I had to actually, you know, play the game. I'm going to try out some of the games I picked up on the amazon/steam sales today and get back to this tomorrow.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

How does the texture Mega-Pack in the OP compare to the official high texture pack download? Is it a seriously notable difference?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Requested_Username posted:

How does the texture Mega-Pack in the OP compare to the official high texture pack download? Is it a seriously notable difference?

Yeah. The official hires pack isn't that much better than vanilla Skyrim.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

LtSmash posted:

No. For some reason Beth deleted basically all the code that let that actually work from Skyrim. The TempClone function was readded by SKSE but for practically everything it either returns garbage or crashes the game. They are working on making it work for armor for the next version though. But despite baking tons of things into saves skyrim also deleted the old serialization code so forms can't be added to saves. So tempClones (and all changes to existing forms) vanish after the current play session. This can be worked around with maintenance scripts that recreate them so long as you can keep track of where they are. Papyrus doesn't support dynamically allocated memory so you are limited to a specific number of items that can be tracked based on whatever the mod author decides to support.

It might be a moot point anyway since SKSE will be adding some new ObjectReference functions which might allow for directly changing a specific copy of an item.

Creating a custom patch is easy though and doesn't involve waiting for skse to update.
Where is a good place to learn more about all this? Any good docs? From the sound of it this is the source of a lot of annoying poo poo in the game, like soul gems losing their charge, and certain actions performed in Papyrus either wiping out or fully restoring charge on weapons, items suddenly become "stolen" for no reason, Soul Siphon basically not working, etc.

I hadn't been playing Skyrim for long before I figured out there was something very wrong with the way the executable writes out save files. Too much stuff will change after a save-reload. Some of it they've fixed in patches, but a lot of it is still there.

Are the SKSE team working on this stuff? Is that what the extra save file generated by SKSE is for? If they do end up fixing some of this I don't think 'SKSE' will be the proper nomenclature at that point - it would be a code patch.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Discovered this thread and downloaded like ten new mods, after porting everything over to Mod Organizer. Thanks, goons!

One thing: the Excellent Racials mod in the OP is outdated and should be replaced by Resplendent Racials Package.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Kilroy posted:

Where is a good place to learn more about all this? Any good docs? From the sound of it this is the source of a lot of annoying poo poo in the game, like soul gems losing their charge, and certain actions performed in Papyrus either wiping out or fully restoring charge on weapons, items suddenly become "stolen" for no reason, Soul Siphon basically not working, etc.

I hadn't been playing Skyrim for long before I figured out there was something very wrong with the way the executable writes out save files. Too much stuff will change after a save-reload. Some of it they've fixed in patches, but a lot of it is still there.

Are the SKSE team working on this stuff? Is that what the extra save file generated by SKSE is for? If they do end up fixing some of this I don't think 'SKSE' will be the proper nomenclature at that point - it would be a code patch.

I've mostly picked it up from the running into it while making mods. The CK wiki has a lot of info in it but a lot is in odd places. The skse threads talk about a lot of it but mostly in bits and pieces as relevant. Other threads in the beth forum sometimes have very informative bits too. TesEdit and wrye bash threads have some really knowledgeable people in em and the skyproc guy knows a lot of the inner workings too.

I think most of the bugs you mentioned are a related issue and not the form serialization thing. Forms are the base objects, like the generic Iron Sword, ObjectReferences are the actual items in the game world like a specific iron sword on the ground. If you change the base form all items will change, if you change an objectreference only that one will change. But a ref doesn't hold all the details like damage and model its only the stuff specific to that particular sword like its position and tempering level. So you can't actually change its damage since it doesn't actually have a space for that since the engine knows its an iron sword and all iron swords have the same base damage.

The problem is that an ObjectReference only exists while the item is in the game world. When it goes into a container (and character inventories are just gussied up containers) its no longer in the game world. The engine deletes the ref and marks the container as having one of the base form in it. So an inventory is just a list of base forms and how many of them there are. To keep track of stuff like tempering a container has a list of 'extra data' and what base form and it goes with. But there isn't really any object for the tempered sword since the ref was deleted, its just some data in a list. If you drop the sword it will actually make a new one and apply the data to it so it looks like it is the same item.

While an item is in your inventory there is basically no way for the scripts to really work with it. The ref is gone (or broken due to a bug) and the container's extra data list is hidden from the script system. Some commands kinda work and some look like they do but actually don't. Soul Gems are the actually don't part. The soul trap script tries to change the stored soul value on one when you trap a soul, but since the gem has to be in your inventory its commands don't work right (since it only kinda exists in game). It looks like it does but when you drop it the game gets confused and then you get the bug we all know and love. Papyrus and item charge is the same kind of thing.

The save system is its own buggy mess. The morrowwind thread has a good discussion about it a page or two back. Its basically lazy as hell (plus the ObjectReference mess) and Skyrim compounds it with the new script engine. Loading a save in game actually doesn't fully reset the script engine. Its possible to save the game, start a script, load the save, and then have the script finish its stuff.

SKSE hasn't really tried to fix engine bugs as far as I know. It has some features to bypass scripting bugs but they are pretty wary of messing with the inner workings. The cosave just holds some skse papyrus specific things right now like the custom event handler details. They are contemplating putting more in it but are pretty careful about things that could mess up stuff. A big concern is that skyrim will poo poo the bed if they mess too much with its guts and then someone tries to load an skse save without skse installed. Also all the extra save info is lost if someone does that and then saves again.

The skse dll plugin system is probably what they are hoping will solve the engine bug stuff. It lets plugin authors mess with the guts of the game which is what SafeLoad is.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
Anybody know what might be causing my game to look like this?

I kind of went overboard with mods and had to scale some back like W.A.T.E.R and 2k Textures. The game started looking like that when after I changed from 2k Full to 2k lite. The strange thing is that it didn't happen right away, only once I showed up in that town and came out of the Jarl's hall.

Edit: also running ProjectENB.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I still wonder why Bethesda made some custom in-house scripting language instead of going with something proven like Lua.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
Want to do a requiem play through but all the perks look kinda boring. Would I get away with just loading sperg in front of it?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

I uploaded a test update of Lootification. I would appreciate anyone testing it out and reporting issues. No new features but its upgraded to the latest SkyProc and has some bug fixes.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dongicus posted:

Want to do a requiem play through but all the perks look kinda boring. Would I get away with just loading sperg in front of it?

No because loading SPERG before Requiem would still mean that Requiem's perks still overwrite SPERG's perks. Load SPERG after Requiem.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did someone read my mind? A practical armor mod that doesn't come with a body replacer?

And it's in the hot files section as well?! When did I drop into bizarro world?

EDIT: nope, same ole' nexus. There's a shithead in the comments badgering people and plugging his "sexy" models mods.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 1, 2013

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

The Audio Overhaul for Skyrim seems to be a consistent source of random crashes for me. This is really unfortunate since it sounded excellent. I had only just discovered the new Fireball spell sound too. :fap:

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

futile
May 18, 2009
AOS really shouldn't be causing random crashes. It uses no scripts and just replaces sound files and updates audio records for distance/priority/reverb/etc. settings. Do you have the proper patches for your mods from the patches page?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So I picked up the legdendary skyrim pack over the cleaning sales. I have gotten most of the mods I need. but the Needs and deaseses (which I can't spell) does not work. I think. using MO, there is no funny errors, it shows up in the game menu, I have the weather needs mods and that one worked once I actully activated it. however my character is not getting hungry, thirsty or tired

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Stevefin posted:

So I picked up the legdendary skyrim pack over the cleaning sales. I have gotten most of the mods I need. but the Needs and deaseses (which I can't spell) does not work. I think. using MO, there is no funny errors, it shows up in the game menu, I have the weather needs mods and that one worked once I actully activated it. however my character is not getting hungry, thirsty or tired

You have to initialize Realistic Needs and Diseases; Under its MCM section, in the first option, there's something that reads "Run RN&D". Click that and close all menus.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Liberatore posted:

You have to initialize Realistic Needs and Diseases; Under its MCM section, in the first option, there's something that reads "Run RN&D". Click that and close all menus.

Bah I was blind. Thanks it works now

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Starhawk posted:

Anybody know what might be causing my game to look like this?

I kind of went overboard with mods and had to scale some back like W.A.T.E.R and 2k Textures. The game started looking like that when after I changed from 2k Full to 2k lite. The strange thing is that it didn't happen right away, only once I showed up in that town and came out of the Jarl's hall.

Edit: also running ProjectENB.

Have you turned down the brightness like ProjectENB recommends?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Cross posting from the Skyrim thread. For my first playthrough of Skyrim, should I install some of the functional mods? Or should I do a vanilla playthrough first? What would you guys recommend?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Lowness 72 posted:

Cross posting from the Skyrim thread. For my first playthrough of Skyrim, should I install some of the functional mods? Or should I do a vanilla playthrough first? What would you guys recommend?

At the very least install all the relevant unofficial patches. I'd also recommend Weapons & Armor Fixes, Clothing & Clutter Fixes, Brawl Bugs Patch, either Smart Souls or Acquisitive Soul Gems, SkyUI, Better Dialogue Controls and Better Message Controls. None of these take anything away from the 'vanilla' experience, really.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

For a first timer?

-Unofficial Patches
-SkyUI
-Weapons and Armor Fixes
-Clothing & Clutter Fixes
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Run For Your Lives
-When Vampires Attack
-Better Dialogue Controls
-Better Message Controls
-No Poison Dialogues
-Brawl Bugs Patch
-Timing Is Everything
-The Choice is Yours (so your quest log doesn't clutter up)
-Smart Souls/Aquisitive Soul Gems
-Thieves Guild Requirements (So you don't get roped into the Thieves Guild automatically)
-Bounty Gold (optional)

Most of these are simple fixes or tweaks to base gameplay.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I kinda hesitate about installing the unofficial patches because I don't always agree with the Skyrim community on what definition of what a bug is. For example wearing archmage's robes and mage's circlet together is deemed a bug for some reason which probably makes sense to a particularly spergy martian, but is just downright incomprehensible to me. Or J'zargo being a useful follower is also deemed a bug. I wish patches would be happy just fixing serious actual bugs (savegame corruption, quests that fail when you succeed, etc.) instead of trying to balance the game -- as if the concept of balance had any legitimacy in a Bethesda game anyway.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

While I agree some of the changes are unnecessary, the truth is that those patches do more good than bad. I will gladly put up with that stuff if it means the game is improved overall.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Liberatore posted:

While I agree some of the changes are unnecessary, the truth is that those patches do more good than bad. I will gladly put up with that stuff if it means the game is improved overall.
Plus those are edits that anyone can revert with TES5Edit.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Lowness 72 posted:

You should definitely install all of the unofficial patches and SkyUI. After that vanilla is perfectly fine, and everyone's recommendations will probably differ. Here's my short list of quality mods:
  • SPERG (makes the perk system fun)
  • Improved Dragon Shouts (makes a lot of the cool-but-impractical shouts just cool)
  • The Choice Is Yours (makes it so you have to actually agree to do a quest before it's rudely forced into your journal)
  • Uncle Sheogorath (just do it)
  • Immersive Patrols (if you want to see the civil war that everyone's talking about actually have occasional NPC skirmishes)
  • Khajiit Speak (only if you're playing a catman)
  • Morrowloot (only if don't intend to use smithing and/or are still bitter about level scaling in Oblivion)
I'd hold off on the survival/realism mods like Frostfall until at least your second playthrough.

If you plan to use a bow (and are using mouse&keyboard), you should apply this aiming tweak. It disables aim assist, and also makes arrows shoot towards the crosshair instead of, annoyingly, a few degrees above it.

In response to the other two lists above: Let me unrecommend Weapons & Armor Fixes. It's incompatible with some other mods due to modifying way too many different items, and most of the "fixes" it makes are extremely spergy and minor, and sometimes questionable. Same for Clothing & Clutter fixes. It might be nice but IMO it's just not worth the potential problems.

Other than those two mods, I agree with the rest of the lists. There are all just quality-of-life or balance changes that most people agree should have been part of vanilla in the first place.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

So I just got around to using Frostfall, finally. I've decided to go with the Hardcore present. :black101: Let's see if I can get to the other side of the College without freezing to death.

More seriously though, I noticed that the Frostfall alteration spells are enhanced by the Mage Armor perk. Is there a compatibility patch for SPERG for these? The spell magnitudes are not changed by SPERG's version of the perk.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Inverness posted:

So I just got around to using Frostfall, finally. I've decided to go with the Hardcore present. :black101: Let's see if I can get to the other side of the College without freezing to death.

More seriously though, I noticed that the Frostfall alteration spells are enhanced by the Mage Armor perk. Is there a compatibility patch for SPERG for these? The spell magnitudes are not changed by SPERG's version of the perk.

They're not meant to. A SPERG-modified Bear Armor spell would completely break the point of Frostfall.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Scyantific posted:

They're not meant to. A SPERG-modified Bear Armor spell would completely break the point of Frostfall.
I wasn't suggesting that they work just like the normal armor spells in SPERG, only they work as if you had the level 3 vanilla Mage Armor perk.

Edit: After some research and frustration, I discovered that I can set some global variables to 1 in the console to make Frostfall think I have the vanilla mage armor perks. Setting _DE_ArmorPerk1Active, _DE_ArmorPerk2Active, and _DE_ArmorPerk3Active to 1 in the console will make things work.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 1, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nomikos posted:

If you plan to use a bow (and are using mouse&keyboard), you should apply this aiming tweak. It disables aim assist, and also makes arrows shoot towards the crosshair instead of, annoyingly, a few degrees above it.

On the topic of arrows. Is there a mod to either fix or disable the ranged killcam events? It's really annoying to get the killcam on an archery shot only for the arrow to be launched at the character's feet and immediately collide with a mushroom or something, instead of flying true, clear away from obstacles, and right in the hapless victim. Even more annoying when you get the killcam to look at your character busily doing nothing at all because the animation somehow got stuck or something, and the monsters are taking position all around you.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

On the topic of arrows. Is there a mod to either fix or disable the ranged killcam events?
Disabled Ranged and Magic KillCams

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

I would say Scyantific's list is solid for a first playthough. I would throw in
  • Faster Mining
  • Guard Dialogue Overhaul (no new dialogue, just makes them use existing stuff correctly)
  • Static Mesh Improvement Mod (makes things look worlds better)

Moving a bit away from pure vanilla
  • Improved Armor Formula (fixes skyrim's super dumb armor scaling)
  • Bandoliers / Bandoliers for npcs
  • Cloaks of Skyrim / Winter Is Coming
  • Automatic Variants (makes not every wolf look identical)

Nomikos posted:

In response to the other two lists above: Let me unrecommend Weapons & Armor Fixes. It's incompatible with some other mods due to modifying way too many different items, and most of the "fixes" it makes are extremely spergy and minor, and sometimes questionable. Same for Clothing & Clutter fixes. It might be nice but IMO it's just not worth the potential problems.
The original weapons and armor fixes was solid but all its important changes were taken up by uskp so now its pointless. The remade version seems to have both good and spergy changes. The clothing one looks about the same.

In either case the number of edits doesn't really matter since you should be using a tesedit merged patch anyway.

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012
Is there anything that goons could recommend to make the combat sound and feel more visceral? I'm playing a bulky nord bezerkr, and I'm tired of winding up with my giant greatsword only to hear a weak sounding *thwap*, along with the standard gamebryo floppy corpse.

Crimson tide is helping somewhat, mind.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I recall an alternate start mod, not live another life. It started you just after the dragon attack on Helgen and it gave you a selectionof different starting packages, like classes. Bonuses to certain skills and a selection of gear. Anyone happen to recall what that was? I'm also planning to do a ranger/druid type character, and grabbed midas magic for that. any other suggestions would be welcome!

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Quantumfate posted:

I recall an alternate start mod, not live another life. It started you just after the dragon attack on Helgen and it gave you a selectionof different starting packages, like classes. Bonuses to certain skills and a selection of gear. Anyone happen to recall what that was? I'm also planning to do a ranger/druid type character, and grabbed midas magic for that. any other suggestions would be welcome!

This almost sounds like Random Alternate Start which does give you packages of gear to select, but it makes you go check out Helgen before starting the main quest at all.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

If it helps, this one started you in helgen after the execution. There were done up graphics of the different classes when you were selecting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
The mod your looking for is called Altered Beginning.

• Locked thread