Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Benne posted:

Brad Jones is starting up a new show

This should be fun :allears:

Hmm, before I get excited about this; do we know who's going to be in this podcast? Brad doesn't exactly have a sterling record of picking podcast hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Benne posted:

Brad Jones is starting up a new show

This should be fun :allears:

So it's the wheel of the worst without Shoji Tabuchi?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wait, there's a random button on Netflix?

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Nothing on Netflix, as far as I know. Maybe they mean this?

http://vodzilla.co/random-netflix-button/

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I wonder how he's handling TV shows. I mean, the easy route would be to take episode one or the first few episodes; like a movie's worth, since that's what he was already in for. But the fun thing would be to pick some episodes out randomly.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Another new review!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNkTNTePbQw

Good old Cannon Fodder. It's always nice to do an old Amiga game, and it's doubly nice to do something by Sensible Software. Making reviews has been kind of difficult/irritating lately, but this one basically wrote itself - there's so much to write about that it was a breeze filling up 15 minutes. A pretty popular choice too, it seems - retro games is certainly what my fans want, and if I could find another dozen or so games like Cannon Fodder I'd be happy as Larry for a while. Alas, they don't come around all that often...

I would like to do some newer stuff, even if that's not always what the people want. Some of the newer game reviews have done OK because I've taken different angles on them or I've used gimmicks - Dys4ia in particular was way better received and viewed than I thought it would be...but it's still kind of a struggle. I want to give the channel a boost but I'm not sure what the best way of doing that is. I've never been all that good at selling myself :\

Anyway, enjoy the new vid!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Elmyr posted:

I would like to do some newer stuff, even if that's not always what the people want. Some of the newer game reviews have done OK because I've taken different angles on them or I've used gimmicks - Dys4ia in particular was way better received and viewed than I thought it would be...but it's still kind of a struggle. I want to give the channel a boost but I'm not sure what the best way of doing that is. I've never been all that good at selling myself :\

It'll depend on your goal with the show. If you're making the show to get a big audience and make money, then you're a slave to the audience's opinion, but if you want to make a show that appeals to you and let the hit count be incidental, you can make whatever you want.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

OrangeKing posted:

Lupa and Phelous review a movie called The Time Machine (I Found at a Yardsale [sic]). It's only part one of a longer review, but it encouraged me to watch the whole movie with some friends tonight. It's one part Birdemic, one part After Last Season, one part The Incredible Bulk, a dash of Valor's Kids and a helping of Star Wars. And it's all hilarious.

Anyway, the review is great (and features lots of cameos), and the movie is terrible in its greatness. Watch both! My favorite part of the review: the beautiful reference to Soap at the end.

That movie was...the pacing has to be the worst pacing I've heard of since Andy Warhol's Empire. How the hell did Lupa and Phelous manage to make it funny? I'm almost..thankful to movies like Ben and Arthur, because at least they didn't have nearly as much padding. I mean..yes, there was that scene where you had to see Arthur getting out of the car and walking to the grocery store or whatever it was, but that was a *lot* shorter than the orange juice scene and at least it had something to do with the plot (he was getting nail polish remover so he could kill the priest.) Hell, even The Room had better pacing than THE TIME MACHINE (I FOUND AT A YARDSALE)...I mean at least that conversation they had five times was more relevant to the plot than the orange juice door sequence.

Fifties man has to be the dumbest protagonist since Mike in Manos: The Hands of Fate.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Elmyr posted:

Another new review!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNkTNTePbQw

Good old Cannon Fodder. It's always nice to do an old Amiga game, and it's doubly nice to do something by Sensible Software. Making reviews has been kind of difficult/irritating lately, but this one basically wrote itself - there's so much to write about that it was a breeze filling up 15 minutes. A pretty popular choice too, it seems - retro games is certainly what my fans want, and if I could find another dozen or so games like Cannon Fodder I'd be happy as Larry for a while. Alas, they don't come around all that often...

Anyway, enjoy the new vid!

Like echopapa said, it's a win lose scenario. You'll get more views, but keep in mind you're going to become less and less unique as you try to get more viewers. I really like your style and I've tried to actually give out your videos on other sites because I think you do a really good job. I think maybe you could try some more things that seem to have worked for you in the past. Try another history of a big series video set, do another 20 worst of video, but always do them on stuff you can actually talk about and are interested in.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ghostpilot posted:

I've been :argh:'ing Sons of Anarchy for the past few seasons and was set to quit this season a couple months back but goons asked me to keep up with it.

I gave up after two seasons. I guess I don't "get" it (or I don't like lovely drama with a gritty veneer or English actors trying to sound American and failing miserably).

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ZeeBoi posted:

I gave up after two seasons. I guess I don't "get" it (or I don't like lovely drama with a gritty veneer or English actors trying to sound American and failing miserably).

I never ever ever noticed this at all. I'm not even kidding, it baffles me when people say this.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ZeeBoi posted:

I heard Ron Perlman is one of the only good things about that show, is that true?

http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/11/29/midnight-screenings-homefront-and-frozen.aspx
I love when Brad and Jake like a movie :allears:

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 2, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

achillesforever6 posted:

I heard Ron Perlman is one of the only good things about that show, is that true?

Sadly this seems to quite often be the case with Ron Perlman projects. Dude seems to be one of those guys who just doesn't say no.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/11/29/midnight-screenings-homefront-and-frozen.aspx
I love when Brad and Jake like a movie :allears:

Yeah, but angry Brad is funnier. And next year he's going to see all the Tyler Perry movies with Dave and Brian, so we're going to be seeing a lot of angry Brad in the new year.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
So the first episode of Brad's new podcast, The Random Button, is out! And the random button comes out swinging and hits them with a 3-hour long Bollywood flick.

First impressions? I liked it. Brad and Brian have a pretty good rapport in this. Note that the podcast is only available on Blip for revenue reasons, which is a little disappointing, though it does allow them to show the viewer stuff like the trailers for the movies they watch.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

achillesforever6 posted:

Yes and no.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

dijon du jour posted:

So the first episode of Brad's new podcast, The Random Button, is out! And the random button comes out swinging and hits them with a 3-hour long Bollywood flick.

First impressions? I liked it. Brad and Brian have a pretty good rapport in this. Note that the podcast is only available on Blip for revenue reasons, which is a little disappointing, though it does allow them to show the viewer stuff like the trailers for the movies they watch.

I was impressed that I was able to listen to them talk for an hour about a Bollywood movie I've never seen and not get bored, but it was actually quite enjoyable. Looking forward to more of this show.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Next episode of Baywatching is out. I gotta say I like these TV retrospectives Lupa's been doing lately. I feel TV shows tend to be underrepresented in mainstream internet nostalgia-reviewing in favor of movies. Which is understandable, mind, considering it's much easier to sit down and watch a two hour movie than more than 100 hours of TV episodes.

And while I'm here Brad looks at a film called Let My Puppets Come and it's exactly what you think it's about. :stare:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gyges posted:

Sadly this seems to quite often be the case with Ron Perlman projects. Dude seems to be one of those guys who just doesn't say no.
Well his wife does love to buy shoes, same as the famous Michael Caine Jaws 4 story or Christopher Walken's career.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

dijon du jour posted:

Next episode of Baywatching is out. I gotta say I like these TV retrospectives Lupa's been doing lately. I feel TV shows tend to be underrepresented in mainstream internet nostalgia-reviewing in favor of movies. Which is understandable, mind, considering it's much easier to sit down and watch a two hour movie than more than 100 hours of TV episodes.

I do love TV shows better than movies so I have a lot of fun doing these videos. I'm really glad they seem to be getting such a good reception. :) Thanks!

Now it's time to start Witchcraft 10!

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I'm pretty sure Doug is going to cap off the month reviewing the Star Wars Holiday Special. THAT will be fun.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
He already did the Holiday Special.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

dijon du jour posted:

And while I'm here Brad looks at a film called Let My Puppets Come and it's exactly what you think it's about. :stare:

I was hoping this was a weird entry in The Puppet Master franchise, and was disappointed.

It's kind of weird no internet critic has done those movies yet.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Doug's Top 12 Santas.

Well if there is one thing you can't fault him for is that he loves Christmas.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Supersonic Shine posted:

He already did the Holiday Special.

*blink* So he did. How on earth did I miss that all those years back? Well. If it's not the Star Wars special, what the heck else is generally considered "the worst Christmas special ever made"?

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.

Miss Wallace posted:

I do love TV shows better than movies so I have a lot of fun doing these videos. I'm really glad they seem to be getting such a good reception. :) Thanks!

Now it's time to start Witchcraft 10!
The first installment of Baywatching was my introduction to your videos, and I've devoured almost all of the Manic Episodes in the past week or so. Everything else is super entertaining and interesting, but TV's structure/pacing/whatever is much more compelling to me and I guess that translates to commentary. I'm glad covering the extra ground of a TV series is fun and not a chore.

Also, in general, awesome work! I already find myself looking forward to new Lupa content as much as I do RLM videos. And you're a saint for providing that upper-level course on Charmed, because random reruns -- including the Lady Godiva one -- only gave me a tiny glimpse of how profoundly dumb and misogynistic that show could be. It's so spectacular.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I haven't watched MovieBob in a while and decided to check out his newest video, Pink is not the Problem.

It's probably the best thing he's written on the subject of gender stereotyping in, well, ever. I'd easily recommend this video to people who are trying to explain the issues of modern day gender politics to the otherwise uninformed, if only because his opinion so closely reflects my own on this subject. Though I will admit I am intensely curious how this same talk would go if the subject of the video wasn't toys, but comics or games, his well known blind spots.

Still, I'm encouraged to go back and watch what I missed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cubs2084 posted:

*blink* So he did. How on earth did I miss that all those years back? Well. If it's not the Star Wars special, what the heck else is generally considered "the worst Christmas special ever made"?

I'm tempted to be a smart rear end and say "everything :v:", but yeah, the Star Wars one is generally the Internet-approved "worst Christmas special ever", and since Doug really isn't the kind of guy to re-review something, I'm intrigued to see what he pulls out as the worst one ever.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm tempted to be a smart rear end and say "everything :v:", but yeah, the Star Wars one is generally the Internet-approved "worst Christmas special ever", and since Doug really isn't the kind of guy to re-review something, I'm intrigued to see what he pulls out as the worst one ever.

"A Special Sesame Street Christmas" is another terrible Christmas special recommendation if you dislike yourself.

Oh and to respond to Anukis, thanks, that means a lot!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

"A Special Sesame Street Christmas" is another terrible Christmas special recommendation if you dislike yourself.

Wait is that the one where Cookie Monster devours a typewriter? It better not be, because that one was wonderful.

...also, I got quoted by Lupa. Yaaay. :buddy:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 4, 2013

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So I haven't watched MovieBob in a while and decided to check out his newest video, Pink is not the Problem.

It's probably the best thing he's written on the subject of gender stereotyping in, well, ever. I'd easily recommend this video to people who are trying to explain the issues of modern day gender politics to the otherwise uninformed, if only because his opinion so closely reflects my own on this subject. Though I will admit I am intensely curious how this same talk would go if the subject of the video wasn't toys, but comics or games, his well known blind spots.

Just steer clear of Game Overthinker and you'll be fine.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

nine-gear crow posted:

A video between the Nostalgia Critic and Linkara looking at the Power Rangers Christmas Special would be excellent. I watched my copy at least a hundred times when I was a kid, but drat, its bad.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Miss Wallace posted:

Any chance of seeing another kids Christmas special in the style of TMNT or Sesame Street? Those are two of my favorite videos of yours.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Wait is that the one where Cookie Monster devours a typewriter? It better not be, because that one was wonderful.

...also, I got quoted by Lupa. Yaaay. :buddy:

Nah that was Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. Both of them aired the same year. Jim Henson had nothing to do with Special Sesame Street Christmas, it only had a few muppets in it, and it focused on the humans mostly. Ethel Merman is there as well as lots of other guests, plus Michael Jackson has like a minute cameo in which he does not sing. The songs are awful, including one where they sing about all the cruddy gifts people got them called "It's the Thought That Counts." I reviewed both specials if you're interested but don't have the stomach for the full specials (Christmas Eve is actually great though).

http://olpresents.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-special-sesame-street-christmas.html
http://olpresents.blogspot.com/2013/01/christmas-eve-on-sesame-street.html

Deofuta posted:

A video between the Nostalgia Critic and Linkara looking at the Power Rangers Christmas Special would be excellent. I watched my copy at least a hundred times when I was a kid, but drat, its bad.

Lewis and I looked at Alpha's Magical Christmas a bit ago. ;) Not sure if that's the same one.

http://olpresents.blogspot.com/2013/03/power-rangers-alphas-magical-christmas.html

OldTennisCourt posted:

Any chance of seeing another kids Christmas special in the style of TMNT or Sesame Street? Those are two of my favorite videos of yours.

I've been meaning to do Barney's Night Before Christmas, but I'd really like to finish the Witchcraft movies first. So...hopefully, but probably not. Unless I do another late one, heh.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Miss Wallace posted:

Lewis and I looked at Alpha's Magical Christmas a bit ago. ;) Not sure if that's the same one.

http://olpresents.blogspot.com/2013/03/power-rangers-alphas-magical-christmas.html

That's the one! I cannot believe I remember that box cover after all these years. Eagerly looking forward to watching it once I get home from work, thanks!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Oh dear lord, that was awful. As someone who never watched the Power Rangers, I was incredibly distracted by Alpha's light-up nipples. Also, it's kind of sad that fast-forwarding is a relic from the VHS era, because for some reason it makes everything funny.
That was..absolutely devoid of plot, and it wasn't even a musical or anything! I have no idea why they even bothered, I mean...seriously, couldn't they think of some kind of generic christmas-y plot or..
WHY.

Now watching Special Sesame Street Christmas. At least it's better than the Alpha power rangers one, because it appears to have *some* kind of plot, and songs that actually are sung on set and aren't just in the background. Although that eggnog carton song is really awful. The voices could strip paint. Disappointing, just lame.

Both of the reviews were pretty damned funny though :)

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Thanks!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

SatansBestBuddy posted:

In my experience, as long as he has no personal interest in a topic and approaches it from a somewhat "objective" view point, his videos are pretty great, a good mix between analyses and entertainment. However, as soon as it is about a topic he has some "fanish" interest the entire reasoning goes over board and he mutates into your typical angry internet nerd. The contrast is pretty staggering.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
His work also really benefits from the limitations placed on him by the Escapist. Complete creative control is not a good thing for internet critics. Most of them if left to their own devices are unwilling put in the effort to make tightly scripted content and indulge in awful skits and gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Edit: never mind

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 6, 2013

• Locked thread