Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

Mind sharing your outfit?

It's actually 193 221 Volume I can carry with 2 encumbrance on helmet (No penalty) and 1 on mouth/eyes but that's a good compromise from the survivor mask for really good cut/bash and environmental protection. I could wear ballistic glasses and put on a filter mask when needed for 0 encumbrance but I don't mind the minor penalties. And of course 0 encumbrance on every other slot.

I'm wearing and ordered by layering: -
Reinforced Quiver x2 ------------------------ Reinforced Survivor Vest (fits)
Reinforced Holster x2 -------------------- Reinforced Survivor Helmet (fits)
Reinforced Wrist Watch ----------------- Reinforced Survivor Boots (fits)
Reinforced Radiation Badge ------------ Reinforced Survivor Gloves (fits)
Reinforced Tactical Dump Pouch x2 --- Reinforced Light Survivor Suit (fits)
Reinforced Tool Belt (fits) --------------- Reinforced Elbow Pads (fits)
Reinforced Drop Leg Pouches (fits)
Reinforced Chest Rig (fits)
Reinforced Survivor Mask (fits)

I add a Kevlar vest during combat for 1 Torso Encumbrance and carry a Military Rucksack or Duffel bag for huge hauls in my inventory if I need to carry a lot of high volume items. This keeps me warm through the winter without any additional clothing but I add helmet/glove liners and such if I need to go somewhere cold. I could probably min/max a little more and break 200 volume storage but I'm happy with this More. I reach my weight limit before volume in most cases.

Bootstraps add encumbrance on to my leg for some reason. I think they should be like non slot items since it's only 2 storage. And I might be able to fit another quiver for no penalty, should try Two Quivers.

I'll take a screenshot if you want and I have the packmule perk. Packmule is amazing and anyone who wants to carry lots nomad style needs it.

e: Formatting issues :cripes:
e2: Ahaha. I should stop, I'm breaking my own game.
e3: Somebody stop me.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I don't usually bother with survivor gloves/boots, they take kevlar plates to repair and don't add that much over armoured gloves and combat boots.

Also, are you sure adding a kevlar vest to that setup gives you only 1 torso encumbrance? Even fitted, with the layering penalty it should knock you up to at least 2 AFAIK.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

tooterfish posted:

I don't usually bother with survivor gloves/boots, they take kevlar plates to repair and don't add that much over armoured gloves and combat boots.

Also, are you sure adding a kevlar vest to that setup gives you only 1 torso encumbrance? Even fitted, with the layering penalty it should knock you up to at least 2 AFAIK.

I typically don't add the tool belt/chest rig because I have enough volume under normal circumstances but I added it for this example. Without them I have 188 Volume and the Kevlar vest gives 1 Torso encumbrance.

And I'd strongly suggest you use Steeltoed Boots, not Combat Boots as they're superior in every way for the same encumbrance. Unless you wanted to add socks for some reason, then I think steeltoed might go up to 1.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Something is a little wrong with the game mechanics when wearing steeltoed boots without socks lets you move more easily than with socks.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nomikos posted:

Something is a little wrong with the game mechanics when wearing steeltoed boots without socks lets you move more easily than with socks.

That's an intriguing concept: equipment that's meant to improve encumbrance. Socks and boots for example, power armor managing weight distribution so you can maneuver well despite being in an electronic suit of armor, and maybe don't wear a leather trenchcoat without anything under it unless you're a half-demon or something...

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 30, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's how it used to work, items with 0 base encumbrance would be -1 when fitted.

So you could use things like fitted socks and undershirts to make encumbering items more comfortable to wear. They didn't affect layering, so wearing 18 pairs of socks would still make you run like a one legged horse. It sort of worked, no idea why they changed it really.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 30, 2013

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
^^^^^
Yarp.

I think encumbrance still has a few tweaks coming to it. I know Kevin personally hates the system at times.

Kevin Granade posted:

Sick of the nonsensical negative encumbrance.
Rather than negative encumbrance for those items, I'd prefer for them to have those effects directly and avoid messing up the encumbrance system. Shoes provide more traction, they don't unencumber you, a mask might
provide oxygen, but can't passively allow you to breathe better.

The better solution would be to come up with an encumbrance system that actually makes sense for our purposes instead of continuing to use one designed to handle "armor"
Disabling stacking for fitted 0-enc items was nothing more than a band-aid for patently absurd negative encumbrance scenario, it was never intended to be a permanent solution.

People are getting hung up on the term balance, I'm not sure there's a good term for what this situation is, "the optimal way to address this situation (in this case high armor/warmth/storage with no encumbrance) is to do something patently absurd" I'm not sure what to call that either, but it is in fact broken. You shouldn't be penalized for doing smart things, you shouldn't be rewarded for doing dumb things, it's a subset of verisimilitude.

Rivet also sheds light on socks may have stopped causing issues months ago. I still don't see much point to them right now as boots are warm enough alone in most cases.

Rivet posted:

The old encumbrance system used to penalize you for daring to wear socks with your shoes

URLs are embedded to the relevant github discussions.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

nftyw posted:

e: Ahahah Dodging 8, man the dodge skill is broken as gently caress.
I got to dodge 14 once, allowing a lovely black rat to follow me in my house before closing the doors behind him and then doing some hours long construction inside, ignoring his attacks and dodging 500x.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Hobos are so much worse than Prostitutes!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Socks, glove liners and underwear are coded to not add to encumbered these days.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I was curious to see if Skill Comprehension was still capped at 100% and google and the wiki weren't of any help, so I ran a couple of tests with characters at 10 and 20 intelligence, with and without Fast Learner. As far as I can tell there's no noticeable difference between 10 INT / no Fast Learner and 20 INT / Fast Learner.

In theory you might get some use out of it with a very low-INT character, but the only way for it to be a net gain of points is if you go all the way down to INT 4 which gains you all of one point and (assuming ~10% skill comprehension per level for the sake of simplicity, since the wiki says "8-13% per level" whatever the hell that means) leaves you at only 90% skill comprehension, plus you end up with a higher rate of failure for bionics and other edge cases, to say nothing of skill rust rates if you have it enabled.

In conclusion, don't take Fast Learner.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
What's with the +3 encumberment all over?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Are you over your max volume limit? it translates to massive encumberment.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Empty your inventory. See the red 5+/4 volume in the corner of your inventory page? Carrying more stuff than you should, make you terrible at moving around or fighting.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

]All the meat i cook with the last nightly is showing up as 'fresh', 'hot' & 'rotten'... Including freshly butchered meat, from freshly killed non-zombies animals.
Edit: first time i see freshly hot rotten cooked noddles. I guess it's not just the meat.
2d Edit: it's actually everything i cook, including fried spam and bone broth.

Update: the cooked items stop being "rotten" after a few minutes, when they also lose the 'hot' attribute. It's weird. Also i made a few new raw spaghettis with flour then cooked them and the cooked noodles were rotten too for 5-10 minutes.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 1, 2013

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Do funnels actually work? I have one on the same tile as a gallon jug, it's been there over a day in near-constant rain and drizzle, no liquid in it at all.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Do funnels actually work? I have one on the same tile as a gallon jug, it's been there over a day in near-constant rain and drizzle, no liquid in it at all.
They works like traps: you need to activate them in the menu, just not drop them.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Oh ok, thanks. Also I thought archery was supposed to be good but at 3 archery with a longbow and field point arrows it takes like 3-4 shots to kill a standard zombie, it's awful. It also trains at less than 1% skill per shot which seems to be unaffected by if I'm shooting at anything. When does it get good?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Oh ok, thanks. Also I thought archery was supposed to be good but at 3 archery with a longbow and field point arrows it takes like 3-4 shots to kill a standard zombie, it's awful. It also trains at less than 1% skill per shot which seems to be unaffected by if I'm shooting at anything. When does it get good?
What's your strength? I wouldn't advice using bow without at least 12 strength, more skill (6+) and the best bow with metal arrows.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Infinite Monkeys posted:

At archery 5 you can make heavy wooden arrows which will do way more damage and hopefully will tide you over until 7 when you can craft a reflex recurve.

Alternatively you could make use of an exploit to turn wooden crossbow bolts into steel bolts and just make a crossbow if you have traps 3. It still uses archery to fire so you can upgrade your damage without as much of a wait - what you do is make crossbow traps with wooden bolts, and when you disarm them you get steel bolts.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Monkeys posted:

It gets good when you throw those crappy bows away and tinker together a repeating crossbow :getin:

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Alternatively you could make use of an exploit to turn wooden crossbow bolts into steel bolts and just make a crossbow if you have traps 3. It still uses archery to fire so you can upgrade your damage without as much of a wait - what you do is make crossbow traps with wooden bolts, and when you disarm them you get steel bolts.

Better yet, don't even bother disarming the traps but instead disassemble the crossbow trap and you get the components back without risking an arrow to the groin.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 1, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

^^^ - argh, too many ways to interact with items for my poor dumb brain

nftyw posted:

It gets good when you throw those crappy bows away and tinker together a repeating crossbow :getin:

Repeating crossbow and steel bolts really seems like the way to go, yeah.

Shame the Ganz-Rustung isn't as cool, you'd think a drat ballista would have something more going for it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Yep, seems like the latest experimental has you cooking rotten meat after one day. This appears to be linked to the executable file and not the saves, so if you roll back to an earlier version, you'll be fine.

Edit: I've uploaded a slightly earlier experimental without that bug here.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 1, 2013

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

So is there a better way to train archery than making thousands of lovely arrows and firing them at the floor over and over again for less than 1% xp a shot? If that's the case I'll stick with my machete... Is there an easy way to get loads of bleach and ammonia, or do I just have to search houses for one or two bottles at a time?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Make a blowgun and fire at some wildlife. They're so useless and they shoot so quick you'll train it really drat quick! :haw:

Also, apparently leaping cougars can phase through walls. Who knew?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Make a blowgun and fire at some wildlife. They're so useless and they shoot so quick you'll train it really drat quick! :haw:

Also, apparently leaping cougars can phase through walls. Who knew?

One time I woke up with a loving cougar trying to claw my face off in an emergency shelter. At first I thought it was this, and then later onwards I learned that the spawning system occasionally goes haywire. Now I don't know what to think.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Cougars are secretly an extradimensional enemy.

Has anyone worked out a way to make sure that sinkholes don't spawn if there's no way out of them at all? Its getting old being dumped in the middle of solid rock.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
For bleach and ammonia, raiding labs should get you more than enough for anything you want to make. Bleach and ammonia are everywhere in labs.

And if you're going for archery it's best to start with the Bow Hunter occupation and boost your archery skill up so you start with level 5 archery right away, which is enough to make heavy wood arrows right off the bat. The main drawback is having to look for a hacksaw to make arrowheads.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I knew about it, but the first few times I tried it out I got shot at anyways and didn't really see the point.

I suppose it probably adds some kind of cover or dodge factor that I don't know about because nothing's got up-to-date documentation.

Oh, I actually thought it just moved your camera one square out but didn't actually move your character.

That's a bit silly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In fairness I hadn't even thought of using night vision to explore labs so it's not like a solution doesn't exist, it's just... not peeking around corners.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nftyw posted:

Eh, it sounds fine, it's what I would do if I were creeping around a lab and knew that turrets were bad at seeing in the dark. What's more fascinating is why all the flashlights lying around are lovely old bulb flashlights that eat batteries in seconds instead of nice LED flashlights that last for several hours.

High efficiency/high power flashlights would be an interesting addition, draining less power/having a longer beam respectively. Maybe even a super secret high tech ultra flashlight that does both, or a nuclear powered one which recharges itself?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In fairness I hadn't even thought of using night vision to explore labs so it's not like a solution doesn't exist, it's just... not peeking around corners.

It is one of the reasons I always take NV as a trait, because that two square range is a godsend when you don't want to use a flashlight.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Oh, I actually thought it just moved your camera one square out but didn't actually move your character.
It does. I use it all the time early game, and have never been spotted.

Maybe it's a bug with the turrets.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I just spent a few minutes peeking around corners at zombies and none of them ever attacked me in the peeked-into square, so it's entirely possible I'm misremembering or I tried to "peek" around a non-reinforced glass wall and just got shot straight through it or something of that nature. I pretty much wrote it off after that first experience.

And in any case, knowing the turret is there still doesn't help you kill it with a melee weapon. :v:

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

What on earth does Elfa Mutagen do? Just found the recipe for it in a sewage treatment plant, it needs 3 different types of mutagen to make.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
It's not as glamorous as adding new content to the game, but at this point in time it's more important: I spent several days writing this documentation, which just got merged into the master: JSON_FLAGS.md

It lists all the flags, names, and identifiers usable in the .json files, and describes what they do. So if you were ever planning on adding some new furniture, armor, tools, whatever--this is a great time to do it, because now you have a doc that details all the existing functionality you can make it have, in addition to the already existing doc that describes the format items and other game objects are written in.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

The King of Swag posted:

It's not as glamorous as adding new content to the game, but at this point in time it's more important: I spent several days writing this documentation, which just got merged into the master: JSON_FLAGS.md

It lists all the flags, names, and identifiers usable in the .json files, and describes what they do. So if you were ever planning on adding some new furniture, armor, tools, whatever--this is a great time to do it, because now you have a doc that details all the existing functionality you can make it have, in addition to the already existing doc that describes the format items and other game objects are written in.

This is really helpful and important stuff and everyone thanks you for it. Documentation is very important and something that is lagging behind development right now.

It's a shame there are so many contributors who do only make new loin cloth to craft. Luckily there are a good number of hard working and capable people doing the heavy lifting.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Where do I get tainted veggies from?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Where do I get tainted veggies from?

What enemies are plant monsters?

Enemies with the [poison] tag and are plants will drop it. Plant enemies without [poison] drop plant marrow instead. Your source will be fungaloids as triffids drop plant marrow

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the .json documentation. Now that I've got time, I think I'll try my hand at adding some items.

By the way, to the elf mutagen question earlier, the elf mutations generally give you mutations that make you prettier and more NPC-friendly, in exchange for mutations like Weakening. If you don't play with NPCs on it's not particularly worth it.

And recently they've changed fungal infections so if you're going to hunt fungaloids, you need to be fully covered with no exposed skin, a filter/gas mask won't cut it anymore. Unfortunately the armour layering menu isn't very intuitive. It may be worth it to pick up some fungicide/royal jelly in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Toplowtech posted:

I got to dodge 14 once, allowing a lovely black rat to follow me in my house before closing the doors behind him and then doing some hours long construction inside, ignoring his attacks and dodging 500x.

I tried to do this with a sewer rat and some welding, but I forgot to equip my nail bat to block it with.

After despatching the rat and assessing the damage, I thought "well, scuffed shoes, damaged knee pads, could have been worse" and only realised a day later that I was no longer wearing trousers.