Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I dunno, those scooter chairs are pretty comfy, probably a better ride than an actual smart car. Goes about as fast too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
2011 Camaro heater core replacement... also from Reddit where the OP said that the windshield has to be removed to get the dash out.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

What is happening to these (relatively) new vehicles that they needed heater core replacements already?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

What is happening to these (relatively) new vehicles that they needed heater core replacements already?

Weibull distribution/reliability bathub

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bajaha posted:

Even new things fail right out of the gate.

e: beaten

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
My brother's 2011 Camaro SS drove off the lot without functional A/C. Of course he turned right around and got it fixed, but I still do not know how it happened.

He bought it out near Las Vegas, you would figure the dealer would check those kinds of things out there.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Bajaha posted:

Rising price of aluminum + copper means manufacturers are using less and less material.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

TrinityOfDeath posted:

My brother's 2011 Camaro SS drove off the lot without functional A/C. Of course he turned right around and got it fixed, but I still do not know how it happened.

He bought it out near Las Vegas, you would figure the dealer would check those kinds of things out there.

You'd think that, especially with some of the dealer charges that get slapped on cars. I remember one Australian car magazine doing an investigation into what the dealerships do for them to charge you close to thousand dollars, and all it ended up with at most dealerships was a $1000 car wash.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

You Am I posted:

You'd think that, especially with some of the dealer charges that get slapped on cars. I remember one Australian car magazine doing an investigation into what the dealerships do for them to charge you close to thousand dollars, and all it ended up with at most dealerships was a $1000 car wash.

I think it's about $600 for the car wash and $400 to remove the plastic wrap on the seats and interior.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bajaha posted:

At what point is it cheaper for the manufacturer to simply scrap the car, rather than pay for it to be stripped down and rebuilt?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

SyHopeful posted:

I had to figure out why the passenger footwell in my Grand National kept flooding during rainy days. Pulled the whole loving front end off to do this job:

Dear god I can only pray this never happens to mine. gently caress

Edit: I know this will happen now, after I replace the fuel pressure regulator and swap the Powermaster for a conventional hydroboost brake system.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

spog posted:

At what point is it cheaper for the manufacturer to simply scrap the car, rather than pay for it to be stripped down and rebuilt?

Somewhere around $98 I think.

Or, it may depend on the vehicle.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

spog posted:

Pretty much never. The heater core is a cheap part, and it'll take an awful lot of labor to add up to even a cheap car's total value.

Plus, even if you ran into some edge case where it cost more to repair the car than to replace it, the manufacturer would still probably opt for the repair. It's better than the bad PR of "a problem so bad they scrapped the car." If you're familiar with the aviation industry, Qantas has done similar wacky things (~$100M worth of repairs on an aircraft worth much less) to keep their "never lost a jet" record intact.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Also it's warranty work so even if it took 500 hours of shop time to fix they would say it took one of their guys 25 hours with nothing but a stubby ratchet and a couple sockets he found in the parking lot so I don't know why it's taking you guys so long and no you're not getting paid for those extra 475 hours.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sorry, I think this breaks the gauge of awful and wraps right around to awesome.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
You just know that in 30-40 years, Hoveround body kits will be a thing. Hopefully by then they will also hover.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Bajaha posted:

Have you driven/Sat in/been within 10 feet of anything GM has made in the last 20 or so years? I suspect that'd be the main reason

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

Have you driven/Sat in/been within 10 feet of anything GM has made in the last 20 or so years? I suspect that'd be the main reason

Its sad when my 98 VW's heater core outlasted a 2011 GM product

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Dr.Smasher posted:

Dear god I can only pray this never happens to mine. gently caress

Edit: I know this will happen now, after I replace the fuel pressure regulator and swap the Powermaster for a conventional hydroboost brake system.

Well...

1. This was longggg after I converted to vacuum boost brakes
2. Heater core wasn't the problem! Turns out the weatherseal that sealed the whole assembly to the firewall failed

:suicide:

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Plinkey posted:

It's about a 30 minute or less process in the 96 150. Once you figure out where all the screws are. It comes out through the glove box basically.

Not my picture/truck but same basic idea.

Did the heater core in 30 minutes just under the dash behind the glove box in my 1988 Ranger before I sold it. I luckily live in Texas so I frankly don't give a poo poo when the heater goes out, but its more of an issue when it impedes the flow of coolant. I'm going to miss that truck just because it was an hour job for almost anything on it.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

two forty posted:

You don't really have to disassemble a 240 quite as far as that picture shows, but it is labor intensive. Mr. Benstein has a nice write up at http://cleanflametrap.com/heater_core/ 240s are kind of like Legos, they can be really easily disassembled and reassembled. I never did a heater core but ended up disassembling the entire dash for various purposes over the years and it's honestly not as bad as it looks. And I didn't have one single dashboard squeak after reassembly in 6 years of driving them while learning the ropes of auto work. Your move, GM.

The URL cleanflametrap in itself is a 240 inside joke. We're weird like that (but still not nearly as weird as Saab people.)

I wish I had like ten 240s and all the time in the world to play with them like Art does.

My father-in-law bought an 850 wagon for $400 last week. It was belching oil smoke and leaking oil like crazy but was in excellent cosmetic shape. He cleaned and removed a plastic piece from the flame trap and replaced a cam seal and it runs like a dream. No more smoke or leaks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You Am I posted:

We do this. We charge around $600 for a pre delivery inspection. It takes about two hours and the breakdown is thus:
-Peel interior+exterior plastics off the car, about 30 minutes
-Wash and groom car to an anal-retentive degree, about an hour
-Drive to the petrol station and fill up, which is about fifteen minutes plus the cost of a tank of gas
-Configure the various electronic settings
-Inspect the car inside and out, on a hoist, set the tyre pressures, adjust handbrake/drums, check the fluids, affix lube sticker, enter PDI online on the government's system, stick on a warrant of fitness (mandatory safety inspection for all vehicles)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

We do this. We charge around $600 for a pre delivery inspection. It takes about two hours and the breakdown is thus:
-Peel interior+exterior plastics off the car, about 30 minutes
-Wash and groom car to an anal-retentive degree, about an hour
-Drive to the petrol station and fill up, which is about fifteen minutes plus the cost of a tank of gas
-Configure the various electronic settings
-Inspect the car inside and out, on a hoist, set the tyre pressures, adjust handbrake/drums, check the fluids, affix lube sticker, enter PDI online on the government's system, stick on a warrant of fitness (mandatory safety inspection for all vehicles)

Can the customer opt out of this?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

evobatman posted:

Can the customer opt out of this?

Some or all of it is often required prior to sale by the manufacturer and is out of the dealer's hands. It's worth noting that by the time you drive away in a car you've bought, easily as many as 20 people have gotten in and out of it (adds dirt at the best of times, and much worse in the winter); the high-detail wash and groom is probably the most obvious example of a manufacturer's brand maintenance mandate, but the rest of it fits too. Really, the only thing not on the brand maintenance checklist is the inspection/fitness/registration sticker, and that's usually a government requirement.

The customer can opt out of it via their salesperson; ie the cost can be waived or rolled into the loan or, well, any other method that the salesperson can get past the GM/CEO. :ninja:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

:stare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The position of the steering wheel :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dude wasn't even wearing a seatbelt. :stare:

I like the cloud of smoke coming from the panic stopper in oncoming traffic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Splizwarf posted:

Some or all of it is often required prior to sale by the manufacturer and is out of the dealer's hands. It's worth noting that by the time you drive away in a car you've bought, easily as many as 20 people have gotten in and out of it (adds dirt at the best of times, and much worse in the winter); the high-detail wash and groom is probably the most obvious example of a manufacturer's brand maintenance mandate, but the rest of it fits too. Really, the only thing not on the brand maintenance checklist is the inspection/fitness/registration sticker, and that's usually a government requirement.

The customer can opt out of it via their salesperson; ie the cost can be waived or rolled into the loan or, well, any other method that the salesperson can get past the GM/CEO. :ninja:

Pretty much this, it's basically mandatory and we make decent money out of it when we do 40-odd rental vehicles in a week. You can't opt out of poo poo, it's part of the 'on-road costs' of the vehicle. Technical pre-delivery inspection is a government requirement here, not to mention a warranty requirement and also pretty necessary for consumer guarantees etc.

The cars show up devastatingly filthy off the truck; often we have to scrub or polish off the black sooty residue that gets on them from the dozens of trucks and ships belching fumes on them; the inside is filled with all sorts of debris. Noone who has just shelled out forty-odd grand for a vehicle would accept it in the state that they come in, the amount of behind-the-scenes that goes into making them remotely presentable is immense.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The cars show up devastatingly filthy off the truck; often we have to scrub or polish off the black sooty residue that gets on them from the dozens of trucks and ships belching fumes on them; the inside is filled with all sorts of debris. Noone who has just shelled out forty-odd grand for a vehicle would accept it in the state that they come in, the amount of behind-the-scenes that goes into making them remotely presentable is immense.

I guess that explains why the car was missing random bits last time I bought new.. like the little plastic cover that goes over the shift override button. I guess if cars show up at the dealer looking like a coal mine it's easy to miss stuff like that.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Not sure about other brands but Porsche puts their cars into "transport mode" while they are being, um, transported that kills a bunch of the accessories and limits speed to 30km/h.
You would definitely not want to take delivery of your new car in that condition and without the scan tool there isn't poo poo you're doing about it.
We also go over the entire car with a fine toothed comb, torque the wheels and suspension bolts, scan and clear any faults that may have occurred since going on the boat as well as a bunch of other crap.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xzzy posted:

Dude wasn't even wearing a seatbelt. :stare:

I like the cloud of smoke coming from the panic stopper in oncoming traffic.

I think this is one of those times a life was saved by not wearing a seat belt. :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm all for the technical aspects of a PDI, but I can see both sides of the cleaning regimen. Ok, if the car's dirty and wearing the plastic wrap, you're not going to pick up on paint defects, but on the other hand some people are very fussy about their detailing, and really don't want anyone else to do it before they get the car.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm sure if you told them to skip the detail it wouldn't be a big deal. We'd just have to pull the plastic off and make sure it doesn't have any damage hidden under it.
Most of our cars don't come too messed up because they come in covered transport trucks. When I worked for Acura they would often come in filthy and with a decent amount of acid rain stains and often dings and dents.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Bugdrvr posted:

Not sure about other brands but Porsche puts their cars into "transport mode" while they are being, um, transported that kills a bunch of the accessories and limits speed to 30km/h.
You would definitely not want to take delivery of your new car in that condition and without the scan tool there isn't poo poo you're doing about it.
We also go over the entire car with a fine toothed comb, torque the wheels and suspension bolts, scan and clear any faults that may have occurred since going on the boat as well as a bunch of other crap.

This could make a pretty useful valet mode.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Bugdrvr posted:

Or plug in a VAGcom tool with an android device and start rocking.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bugdrvr posted:

Yeah, but (as you said) this is Porsche.

My buddy bought an Elantra Touring when they became available a few years ago and they delivered it to him without brake fluid in the clutch master. Apparently that's part of the PDI. The dealership lot boy said he used to work for Mercedes and the Smart cars were shipped without AC refrigerant or a dryer hooked up.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
They couldn't find out why the SRT I wanted to buy brand new wouldn't start for the test drive. Popping the hood solved that mystery; shipped without spark plug wires. :v:

Edit: Just looked up my car's heater core.

Jesus Christ. :suicide:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 2, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

No. 6 posted:

Or plug in a VAGcom tool with an android device and start rocking.

VAGCOM doesn't work on Porsches. The dealers usually have a PIWIS and us pleebs settle for Durametric.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Motronic posted:

VAGCOM doesn't work on Porsches. The dealers usually have a PIWIS and us pleebs settle for Durametric.

Potato, potahtow, there isn't any magic dealer box that consumers are incapable of getting access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

They couldn't find out why the SRT I wanted to buy brand new wouldn't start for the test drive. Popping the hood solved that mystery; shipped without spark plug wires. :v:

How the heck did they get it from the assembly line to the shipping crate? Or the shipping crate to the delivery truck? Or the delivery truck to the car lot? Do they have some magical system where they can transport a car anywhere in the world without ever once firing up the engine?

Basically what I'm saying is it sounds like someone really needed some new wires and snuck onto the lot after dark.