Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Niwrad posted:

Has anyone seen the pilot to Ray's reality show idea years ago? Some familiar faces in it (Bruce, Adam, Adam's Dad). Looks heavily scripted and terrible.

http://vimeo.com/45688356
I'd never heard of that before. I always wondered why Ray didn't do more TV or something, I guess that's why. He's fun to watch and the idea was interesting but that scripting was really awful. He just happens to meet a woman in a coffee shop who just happens to be Jere Burns' girlfriend, who happens to be trying to sell a car to Adam to help Ray out somehow. Also Jere Burns looked really familiar, turns out that's because he's been in Breaking Bad, Justified and Burn Notice.

Also we get to see Dr. Bruce's laser, wonder if he's paid Carolla back for that yet! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
He said he coached at the same school, but not at the same time Martin was there.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Adam just never really saw any bullying because he was the captain of the god drat football team.

Im sure it was there.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Beyond that, I'm positive old man Carolla doesn't even consider the most prominent form of bullying kids face today, which is online via Facebook and such.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I'm convinced some of you guys don't even listen to the show. Listen to ACS: Jo Koy and Bayard Winthrop. I feel like Adam made his point a lot better there than he did on the ADS episode. On the ADS show, he really got off into just telling stories.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Also, he did say that bullying does exist, and that it can be really harmful, but that there just isn't as much of it as the media suggests.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

vote_no posted:

Also, he did say that bullying does exist, and that it can be really harmful, but that there just isn't as much of it as the media suggests.

Bullying is all about a perceived power imbalance and harassment without any retribution by a neutral higher authority. Which is why Adam spends so much time whining ranting about parking tickets, taxes, how his previous bosses treated him, why he has to commute to Tustin, having to take sexual harassment courses, etc.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Niwrad posted:

Guest got completely hammered and went from goofy drunk to raging drunk pretty quick. Adam sort of cut the show short and mentioned putting the ad into post because of the direction it was going. It wasn't bad up until the end, and people who like awkward situations might like the end too.

It wasn't that bad. There are far more awkward things to talk about than that. Gabe got drunk, and acted drunk and it was fine. No where near as awkward as that fight with the black people.

Or that one pete holmes podcast which honestly tops the awkward scales to probably one of the most awkward real moments I can think of.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Veskit posted:

It wasn't that bad. There are far more awkward things to talk about than that. Gabe got drunk, and acted drunk and it was fine. No where near as awkward as that fight with the black people.

Or that one pete holmes podcast which honestly tops the awkward scales to probably one of the most awkward real moments I can think of.

Do you mean an episode of ACS with Pete, or the episode of YMIW with Jon Glaser? If you mean the Jon Glaser episode, that was indeed very uncomfortable (and I loved it).

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How Much Art posted:

Do you mean an episode of ACS with Pete, or the episode of YMIW with Jon Glaser? If you mean the Jon Glaser episode, that was indeed very uncomfortable (and I loved it).

ACS with Pete was good ol fun. YMIW with Jon Glaser was so awkward it was special.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Veskit posted:

ACS with Pete was good ol fun. YMIW with Jon Glaser was so awkward it was special.

Can you(or someone) give a short synopsis?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

JGdmn posted:

Jon was on one of Pete's live shows and Pete brought up the fact that Jon and Pete had auditioned for ETrade baby, which was a huge, huge get as it was a national commercial. Pete made light of the fact that he got it and not Jon, and Jon got pissed that Pete would bring it up, because he still wasn't really happy about missing that role. Jon seemed to think something was up with the selection process, or he just was sore about it in general.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

JGdmn posted:

http://www.nerdist.com/2012/09/you-made-it-weird-83-live-from-sf-outside-lands/

41 minutes you can just listen it's only like 15 minutes

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wow, and it's a live show. I can't decide if something like that is more uncomfortable in front of an audience or when it's just two people sitting together Marc Maron style, like Maron's Gallagher interview.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
It's more awkward/funny with a live audience because Jon couldn't just demand to have it edited out.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Alex Borstein's recent appearance was pretty great. Several laugh out loud moments for me.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It always catches me off guard how funny DFG is.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Veskit posted:

It always catches me off guard how funny DFG is.

I really don't understand why they don't have him on like once a week. Maybe the guy runs out of material but he is pure gold when he is on. He is one of the few guys that genuinely cracks Carolla up.

ALL BALLS.

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

Why in the world would they record a show at a hooters? The background talking was very distracting.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

visuvius posted:

I really don't understand why they don't have him on like once a week. Maybe the guy runs out of material but he is pure gold when he is on. He is one of the few guys that genuinely cracks Carolla up.

ALL BALLS.

Dude lives in Vermont or something.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Saint Jimmy posted:

Why in the world would they record a show at a hooters? The background talking was very distracting.

They sell drinks there, one would presume Mangria drinking was the main idea.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah, the show is mainly about pushing Mangria these days.

Agree on DFG. I was slow to come around on him but he cracks me up each time now. They should at least phone him every couple weeks instead of one of Bryan's lovely movie reviews.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
"I like the quiet wisdom of Taco Bell's executive chef Lorena Garcia."

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Niwrad posted:

They should at least phone him every couple weeks instead of one of Bryan's lovely movie reviews.

What a cruel joke niward. Totally JV

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Well that was a drastic turn from a fantastic podcast to loving horrible. I go from laughing my rear end off at DFG to hearing about how all people in the Middle East are basically evil animals that are bent on killing every last Jew, a people that have done nothing but good for the planet and are not troublemakers in any way shape or form. Oh and he is not Jewish and has no Jewish bias at all, just a dude callin it like it is.

Yes Adam, you never say anything racist aside from the part about a fifth of the world's population being evil and most non-white, non-asian cultures being inferior.

visuvius fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 26, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

visuvius posted:

Well that was a drastic turn from a fantastic podcast to loving horrible. I go from laughing my rear end off at DFG to hearing about how all people in the Middle East are basically evil animals that are bent on killing every last Jew, a people that have done nothing but good for the planet and are not troublemakers in any way shape or form. Oh and he is not Jewish and has no Jewish bias at all, just a dude callin it like it is.

Yes Adam, you never say anything racist aside from the part about a fifth of the world's population being evil and most non-white, non-asian cultures being inferior.

Isn't Adam pro-Korean/Japanese (i.e., tough people who will defend their stores in riots with rifles and shotguns on the roof)?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Red posted:

Isn't Adam pro-Korean/Japanese (i.e., tough people who will defend their stores in riots with rifles and shotguns on the roof)?

Oh yes they are definitely in the "non-troublemaker" category. Mostly because he feels that every Asian across the board focuses deeply on education and they all contribute positively to the tax base. I wonder how much he knows about the massive amounts of tax fraud that goes on with those liquor stores.

visuvius fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 27, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

visuvius posted:

Oh yes they are definitely in the "non-troublemaker" category. Mostly because they focus on education and contribute positively to the tax base. I wonder how much he knows about the massive amounts of tax fraud that goes on with those liquor stores.

But not a fan of Fillipinos. "Manny Pacquiao. That's all they've got. These people pray to chicken bones."

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Does anyone else like Ray and Lorenzo? I laugh my rear end off every week. I don't listen to the main show at all, but I listen to Ray and Lorenzo every week and the Ace on the Roof show sometimes

Beeez
May 28, 2012

visuvius posted:

Oh yes they are definitely in the "non-troublemaker" category. Mostly because he feels that every Asian across the board focuses deeply on education and they all contribute positively to the tax base. I wonder how much he knows about the massive amounts of tax fraud that goes on with those liquor stores.

Most likely he'd envy and respect them for defying the tax system.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Beeez posted:

Most likely he'd envy and respect them for defying the tax system.

Probably not because they're poor so he would want them to pay more.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there a liquor store that DOES pay all of their taxes? I remember there was once an economic study on sales tax in New York City, and they only found two store who paid all of the tax they owed, and they both we're going out of business.

McJuicy
May 9, 2008
What does JV mean?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

McJuicy posted:

What does JV mean?

Dude that is so JV.

Junior Varsity.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.

Red posted:

Not when the subject of Virginia Tech comes up.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Veskit posted:

What a cruel joke niward. Totally JV

Great chance to promote GoToMeeting (which has poo poo audio on oversea calls, honestly - stick to Skype).

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I know this an old subject but Adam's belittling of Ray almost makes the show impossible to listen to.

gently caress even John Ratzenberger joins in on this week's episode.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Being born poor and not being able to magically overcome the vast odds set against escaping poverty is a personal failing.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Apoplexy posted:

Being born poor and not being able to magically overcome the vast odds set against escaping poverty is a personal failing.

Adam managed it :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ez posted:

Adam managed it :smug:

What he never mentions of course (and I know you were being sarcastic) is that he became rich and famous largely by benefit of knowing Jimmy Kimmel. This isn't to say Adam's not capable of being funny, but he was struggling pretty bad before he started doing radio with Jimmy, to hear him tell it.