Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Al Baron posted:

Tower of Fortune 2 is free at the moment.

Well, I'm sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Do I need a Japanese form of payment for Dragon Quest or a Japanese account? I doubt I'll make it under the million, but I'm curious. It won't let me if I just switch to the Japanese store.

Go to the Japanese store and then try to download the app. Then when it prompts you to make an account, do so. As long as you make an account in an attempt to buy a free app, you can select "None" for payment type.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nickoten posted:

Go to the Japanese store and then try to download the app. Then when it prompts you to make an account, do so. As long as you make an account in an attempt to buy a free app, you can select "None" for payment type.
Thanks! This worked perfectly, and I got to check out some other wacky Japanese apps while I was at it too.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I want to like this game so bad, but then I lose 500 gold just trying to heal at the bar. It just keeps kicking me when I'm down. And it is really easy to go from full health, to hosed/poor on even the most basic enemies.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Shwqa posted:

to hosed/poor on even the most basic enemies.

Yeah, this is the reason I couldn't spend any money on the IAP. I don't mind supporting whoever made this game because I got it for free and I find it to be generally fun, but it's just so very easy to lose everything on a single enemy.

A coin doubler would have been neat, though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

foobar posted:

Anyone tried Doctor Who: Legacy yet? Seems to be a match-3 in the vein of Puzzle & Dragons. They seem to think it's fun and pretty playable without IAP over on the TouchArcade forum. It's free and I'm a sucker for a match-3 so I'll be checking it out.

I like the gameplay fine, but the interface is worse than Marvel Puzzle Quest, and that game has a poo poo-rear end interface. Thirty minutes of play (post tutorial), and I've spent equal times in interface and gameplay.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When was the last time you played Marvel Puzzle Quest? The game has gotten several enormous revamps over the last few weeks.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

SynthOrange posted:

When was the last time you played Marvel Puzzle Quest? The game has gotten several enormous revamps over the last few weeks.

This is true. Every time I log in, after a longish absence, there are always a ton of improvements to the UI and stuff. Like now it puts icons for all the special attacks at the top of the screen, with visible progress bars for each. Looks better, much clearer, and there are tweaks like that all over the place.

It's a good little game, I just wish it had offline play so I could access it on the train. They are really working hard to polish it up though. It's a solid entry into the Puzzle Quest series and I still have never needed to even think about spending money in it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Looking for opinions on these games, if you have them...

Ark of Sinners Advance: Stupid-rear end design but maybe a fun game? Hard to tell. http://appshopper.com/games/ark-of-sinners-advance

Cardboard Castle http://appshopper.com/games/cardboard-castle

Lightopus: very pretty, dunno if it is fun http://appshopper.com/games/lightopus

Talisman Prologue: based on a board game I'd never heard of http://appshopper.com/games/talisman-prologue-hd

Towncraft: looks like freemium crap but actually has no IAP? http://appshopper.com/games/towncraft

also lol

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Talisman Prologue is actually much, much better than I expected. Long time Games Workshop nerd, I owned the 1st edition of that boardgame back in the day. Also the 3rd edition, which was rancid. This is based upon the 4th edition, which has a really bland looking board, but is otherwise competent.

The full version of the Talisman boardgame just came out on PC, so not too long until it hits iOS I hope. The Prologue is basically a single-player series of challenges. Rather than take turns with other players competing to be the first to win the game, you pick a character and try to complete smaller objectives within a turn limit. It's a bit random, so the RNG may screw you sometimes, but the feeling of heading off on a fantasy quest still holds up. The lack of other players doesn't hurt it, as it's more about maxing out your stats, getting to various parts of the board, killing specific monsters.

I bought it for nostalgia expecting to hate it, as I don't dig 4th edition's art. I was actually surprised with how glossy the presentation is. Art style aside (and a lot of that is 1st edition snobbery on my part) it's a really slick interface and tapping and panning around is mostly very intuitive and has a lot of polish. Some lingering PC menu-itus in places, but nothing deal breaking.

It got some decent post launch support, adding in more characters. Some of those get the 5 quests each, some of them just the solitary "get to the Crown of Command" quest which is the goal of the main multiplayer game. They also unlocked all 5 quests for the initial batch of heroes, as well as unlocking all the initial heroes for free play as at launch you had to essentially grind through quests to get more character options. They listened to feedback and adjusted the game accordingly.

So yeah, bought it for nostalgia, expected to hate it, had to eat my words and tip my hat to them for making a bloody good fist of it. It's what, $2 right now? Definitely worth it at that price, and I'm going to be all over the main game when it comes out.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

On the flip side, Talisman is a game where you roll dice and poo poo randomly happens to you. You rolled a 3, you can go to the plains in the direction of the forrest or the other plains past the city. What, you wanted to go to the city? You shouldn't have rolled a 3 then.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
No, that's fair, there is a fair bit of annoyance in the random movement roll. That's boardgames in a nutshell sometimes. I still like the way that cards eventually populate the world with loot and monsters and places to interact with. The random stuff makes more sense in a multiplayer game because it fucks all players equally and gives people a chance to catch up with the leader.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I was just playing that eyeball game last night. I thought it would be more rocking and less squishy eyeball sounds, but I guess for free you can't complain.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, it's gotten better, that's for sure. It still doesn't match the contemporaries, or at least the ones that I play. That god damned loading screen where I still have to high five ironman five times before the actual game starts loading is bullshit. Lose it, start the god damned game. Or at least flesh out the animation, because it is tedious. When I was a new player, I didn't know what was going on--seeing the flashing glove made me think the game was still loading, and I sat there for a good four minutes thinking the game was coded worse than it was.

Yes, this is a minor thing to write so many words about, but when we have novels worth of text complaining about skeumorphism, I think complaining about an annoyance in a game that is begging for IAP around every corner is fair. Hell, give me the opportunity to spend $.99 to remove that screen and I'll happily do it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Tiny Death Star is a masterful critique of capitalism, demonstrating how consumerism pays for torture and genocide and imperialism, even when most people don't aknowledge it.

Also why can't I stop playing it? It's the biggest waste of time.

I beat Infinity Blade 2. Is 3 worth it?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is that Marvel puzzle thing basically PAD With Marvel?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Sort of. You can only swap tiles with ones adjacent and the game uses a different set of mechanics for characters. You have to collect 13 comic book covers to max out one character unlike in PAD where rolling a god during a Godfest gives you everything you need to play with it once levelled. Makes spending money pretty pointless.

It's worth a shot for free, they've had a steady enough stream of events to keep it interesting. Make sure to sink all your premium currency into inventory spaces as rolling on the rare covers machine is pretty pointless.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BGrifter posted:

Sort of. You can only swap tiles with ones adjacent and the game uses a different set of mechanics for characters. You have to collect 13 comic book covers to max out one character unlike in PAD where rolling a god during a Godfest gives you everything you need to play with it once levelled. Makes spending money pretty pointless.

It's worth a shot for free, they've had a steady enough stream of events to keep it interesting. Make sure to sink all your premium currency into inventory spaces as rolling on the rare covers machine is pretty pointless.
Well that sounds dumb. Free though!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There would be things to spend money on if they got the cost balance right. They significantly reduced the number of covers you needed for a maxed character, which pushed the major bottleneck onto the secondary resource that you used for levelling - which they never rebalanced the real money purchases for. It's currently in a state where nobody wants to pull the one-armed bandit too much because it's fairly easy to get covers for all the common characters without the random spin, and for the rarer ones it's cheaper once you have one cover to just save up and directly buy upgrades, but also (I hope) nobody is buying the secondary resource either because it's now like $15 for a single level on one mid-range character (:pwn:)

I spent money on it a while ago to buy character slots, but now the characters I'd like to spend it on need almost $20 worth of it to increase their skills, it's over $3 for a character slot, and I'm winning around $5 worth every week from events anyway.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Well that sounds dumb. Free though!

Of all the F2P games I've played it's probably the worst designed to make players actually want to spend money. Puzzle & Dragons is by far the best at it I've ever seen, but even Guardian Cross, Rage of Bahamut and Marvel War of Heroes presented more reasonable value for money. (not that I spent a dime on any of those except P&D)

The upside is the balance is so tilted you can pretty much play for free without so much as a speedbump. Only a small-ish handful of ridiculous whales have the rarest characters maxed out and you can skip any opponent that queues up in PVP consequence free.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
What's this game "PAD"?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

randyest posted:

What's this game "PAD"?

Puzzle and Dragon.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

randyest posted:

What's this game "PAD"?

I believe it makes the most money international out of any freemium game. Don't play it if you have a gambling problem. But if you play right you never need to spend money. It is ton of fun and has the most depth I have seen in any freemium game

Edit: on to game talk. gently caress tower of fortune 2. The 3rd area blows. You have either get a 3 hit combo (3 hit in a row not 3 swords) or chi before you can even hurt the enemies. And mini bosses and boss scale way to quickly, so enjoy grinding the first 4 spots of an area forever.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 1, 2013

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Its like Puzzle Quest with Marvel theme and IAP stuff. PAD can suck it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I recall a while ago about a game that had a pretty cool concept. Essentially it was a platform puzzle game where you had a certain amount of years to save the world or some poo poo. Can't cross the lake? You need to wait till winter so it's frozen and then cross it. Can't get up that cliff? Plant a seed and wait a few years for a tree to grow and climb it.

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Edit: on to game talk. gently caress tower of fortune 2. The 3rd area blows. You have either get a 3 hit combo (3 hit in a row not 3 swords) or chi before you can even hurt the enemies. And mini bosses and boss scale way to quickly, so enjoy grinding the first 4 spots of an area forever.

Yea, I'm with you. Post a bad review and with any hope they will rebalance it. It's pretty obviously a cash grab right now, everything about the design points towards IAPs.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

JHVH-1 posted:

Its like Puzzle Quest with Marvel theme and IAP stuff. PAD can suck it.

2nd-ing this. I didn't like it when I first played it, but after a couple major patches* it pretty much stopped me playing PAD cold. It's generous doling out premium rolls and you can be competitive even without dropping any money in. Also as a added bonus it actually has characters I care about.

*If you only played when it first came out you really should try it again. They reduced the amount of covers you need do max out a character's powers from like 30 to 5 and buffed hero powers making the much less of a grind and more fun.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 2, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Soulex posted:

I recall a while ago about a game that had a pretty cool concept. Essentially it was a platform puzzle game where you had a certain amount of years to save the world or some poo poo. Can't cross the lake? You need to wait till winter so it's frozen and then cross it. Can't get up that cliff? Plant a seed and wait a few years for a tree to grow and climb it.

Anyone know what I am talking about?
400 Years

I don't think it's on iOS.

IrregularOreos
Oct 26, 2010
Anyone play Junk Jack X?

I've played the original, and absolutely adored it. Just wondering if anyone can convince me to spend twice as much on the sequel. Anyone have any opinions?

Alternatively, does anyone have other suggestions for another game with long term goals/projects?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Infinity blade seems fun but good lord I am just terrible at it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

IrregularOreos posted:

Anyone play Junk Jack X?

I've played the original, and absolutely adored it. Just wondering if anyone can convince me to spend twice as much on the sequel. Anyone have any opinions?

Alternatively, does anyone have other suggestions for another game with long term goals/projects?

Yeah I've been plugging away at it. It's awesome but it hijacks your music, even after the last update, so that kind of sucks.

The community is not as fleshed out so you're kind of left to puzzle things out yourself, which I like because I totally ruined terraria for myself with wiki abuse. But I would like to know what's up with this brain I picked up from killing a zombie. :ohdear:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Is Cthulhu Saves the World good? If you had to choose between it and Knights of Pen & Paper, which would it be?

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.
If its the same as the xbox version they are both very different games. Cthulhu is an snes style rpg right down to the frustrating ambushed every three steps syndrome games of that era had. Knights feels more 'app' like and was sorta funny and i liked it more.

AggroJagg fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 2, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Anyone have any reviews on Towncraft? http://appshopper.com/games/towncraft The no IAP promise seems really nice, and it looks like a nice relaxing town builder.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Is Cthulhu Saves the World good? If you had to choose between it and Knights of Pen & Paper, which would it be?

Both are pretty good. Cthulhu saves the world is more of a game though.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Necroneocon posted:

Anyone have any reviews on Towncraft? http://appshopper.com/games/towncraft The no IAP promise seems really nice, and it looks like a nice relaxing town builder.

You couldn't have brought this to my attention before it went off sale for 99 cents?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

B-Mac posted:

Infinity blade seems fun but good lord I am just terrible at it.

If it helps, the sequels ease up on how precise it expects you to be to successfully parry.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That game looks like rear end.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Device 6 is really loving cool. I don't know if its a game or not but I encourage everyone in here to get it if you like reading and adventure type games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Dragonrah posted:

You couldn't have brought this to my attention before it went off sale for 99 cents?

I mentioned it earlier, not my fault you're blind

• Locked thread