Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Do you have a seed for a world with a guaranteed Dosey in the starting castle? Because I tried the seed from the event yesterday and she wasn't there after the daily campaigns had cycled. Haven't found her in a world since, nor have I found any more Buddy Tablets. They're really rare.

Yeah saving is exactly what it sounds like. Of course you don't have to do it, and often can't because the save person isn't showing up in towns and you don't have any save crystals. You even get bonuses at the end for not saving.

e: the strict turn-based part of maniac mode is super harsh.

Unfortunately I don't have a seed, it wasn't listed when I went to start a game.

I did beat normal mode with my lizard pirate with four perks of wrestler though and unlocked hero!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

You unlock a fourth difficulty for completing the game with every class on any difficulty. Game doesn't say what it's about other than implying that it's super hard. Also maybe there's something to all of that talk about the dragon in the darkness in the epilogues.

e: confirming that it is super hard

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 1, 2013

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Sil is so irritating but so addictive. I lose so many characters to stuff that just seems like it's completely out of my control, but the game is so fun.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
I've been having a great time with Risk of Rain the last few days, though I've come to believe that drones are seriously overpowered, especially once you get 3 or more of them. It's hard to resist, though, because if the game is giving you drones they're in lieu of other items--so often it feels too easy with drones, too hard without them. Any thoughts?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Yahtzee is making a Cthulhuesque "Survival Horror Roguelike."

http://fullyramblomatic-yahtzee.blogspot.com/2013/11/thy-shadow-consumed.html

I stopped watching his videos some time ago because I realized that witty videos weren't super big things in my life, but I'm interested in seeing how this goes.
I asked if anybody tried this out, but since nobody else mentioned it I did it myself. It's more like a boardgame (Arkham Horror) with side-scrolling combat/gunning than a roguelike, where you have so many hours to drive around to towns, collecting supplies and saving/abandoning towns, trying to figure out clues (for spells and which elder god you have to stop), things of that nature. There's a weird sanity/magic system using symbols kind of like a more indie Eternal Darkness. When you die your next character gets some sort of bonus, so failing isn't a total loss.

I only played a few rounds because I thought the combat was really bad (aiming seemed arbitrary and melee is at best inconsistent, though I never did luck far into the magic system) and the enemies seemed pretty annoying. It seems really repetitive for how easy you can get railroaded, though I did clear a lot of Stonehenge once; supplies are limited and take time to route, and if you run from enemies you take a pretty strict sanity and status effect penalty (though apparently if you get the right upgrades the game's a breeze?). The movement/combat's the big roadblock for me; if he fixed it up and balanced it a bit better, as it's in beta right now, I could see it becoming a fair recommendation. That's my knee jerk reaction, as it would take time to figure out how varying the CYOA choices in the game are, for instance (I got a lot of doubles).

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 1, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Made a thread for One Way Heroics because it's a fun game that more people should play. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590505

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
99 Levels to Hell is part of the current Groupees bundle, for a buck. Thoughts?

Similar note, is Legend of Dungeon well thought of in this thread?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Doom Goon posted:

I asked if anybody tried this out, but since nobody else mentioned it I did it myself. It's more like a boardgame (Arkham Horror) with side-scrolling combat/gunning than a roguelike, where you have so many hours to drive around to towns, collecting supplies and saving/abandoning towns, trying to figure out clues (for spells and which elder god you have to stop), things of that nature. There's a weird sanity/magic system using symbols kind of like a more indie Eternal Darkness. When you die your next character gets some sort of bonus, so failing isn't a total loss.

I only played a few rounds because I thought the combat was really bad (aiming seemed arbitrary and melee is at best inconsistent, though I never did luck far into the magic system) and the enemies seemed pretty annoying. It seems really repetitive for how easy you can get railroaded, though I did clear a lot of Stonehenge once; supplies are limited and take time to route, and if you run from enemies you take a pretty strict sanity and status effect penalty (though apparently if you get the right upgrades the game's a breeze?). The movement/combat's the big roadblock for me; if he fixed it up and balanced it a bit better, as it's in beta right now, I could see it becoming a fair recommendation. That's my knee jerk reaction, as it would take time to figure out how varying the CYOA choices in the game are, for instance (I got a lot of doubles).

A roguelike version of some sort of Arkham Horror thing would be pretty cool if it gets pulled off well, but that's a pretty tall order. Probably odd for him to go from point and click adventures to something that actually needs balance.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I bought it and played around with it for an hour or so then forgot about it. Personally I think rogue legacy is much better.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

My experience with the Alpha led me to believe that it's not a very good roguelike, and it's not a very good brawler. Played by myself so maybe it's a good party game?

On the plus side, without it I wouldn't have :justpost:ed this:

DalaranJ posted:

What do you think are the gameplay aesthetics that appeal to you about rogue or other roguelikes?

I feel that they are (in order of importance to me personally),
'real' strategic decisions in game play
and exploration and discovery.

So if we think about these two aesthetics as being desirable to people who enjoy roguelikes we can see how the mechanics of roguelikes are derived from that. Procedural generation combined with permadeath ensures constantly renewed exploration and if the game is properly organized causes emergent strategic situations. Likewise, the item Iding game combines strategic decisions with renewed discovery. 'This potion could be dangerous, what is the safest place and time to test it?'

If you want your game to be roguey make sure your mechanics point towards these two types of aesthetics. Obviously the game should also have mechanics that point it towards beat em' up too. Honestly, I want to see the UI look and act a lot more like a beat em' up, maybe Golden Axe?
which I thought was a pretty good post about roguelikes. Or at least my feelings about roguelikes.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

DalaranJ posted:

My experience with the Alpha led me to believe that it's not a very good roguelike, and it's not a very good brawler. Played by myself so maybe it's a good party game?

Going to agree with this. As a person who loves beat-em-ups and loves roguelikes, Legend of Dungeon fails to deliver on both counts. Andrew Smash has the right idea, if you're looking for an actiony rougelike-ish game, Rogue Legacy is far better from my experience.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Sorry to open this :can: but rogue legacy doesn't feel like a roguelike at all to me, even in a world where Binding of Isaac, Risk of Rain, Spelunky, etc are all unquestionably roguelikes. Does Rogue Legacy have any roguelike elements at all? There's no character progression within a game, no permadeath, and you can even turn off the random level generation. The most roguelike thing about it is the word rogue in the title.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

Sorry to open this :can: but rogue legacy doesn't feel like a roguelike at all to me, even in a world where Binding of Isaac, Risk of Rain, Spelunky, etc are all unquestionably roguelikes. Does Rogue Legacy have any roguelike elements at all? There's no character progression within a game, no permadeath, and you can even turn off the random level generation. The most roguelike thing about it is the word rogue in the title.

I think it's something appropriate for talking about in this thread, but yeah--there really isn't hardly any emergent gameplay that comes out of it. I think its permadeath mechanic sort of works, but the level generation feels more random than procedural (Jesus, that's a fuzzy distinction--do people get what I mean by that?) and there aren't really all that many interlocking subsystems to the game to make for unexpected gameplay moments.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

OtspIII posted:

I think it's something appropriate for talking about in this thread, but yeah--there really isn't hardly any emergent gameplay that comes out of it. I think its permadeath mechanic sort of works, but the level generation feels more random than procedural (Jesus, that's a fuzzy distinction--do people get what I mean by that?) and there aren't really all that many interlocking subsystems to the game to make for unexpected gameplay moments.

I get what you mean. Roguelikes build areas based off of a certain framework with certain setpieces thrown in there now and again while Rogue Legacy is more or less just a bunch of puzzle pieces hammered together in a way so that the doors line up. Everything else is just grinding minor stat points. Of all the games that are said to be roguelike-lite and all that, Rogue Legacy is definitely waaaaaay down at the bottom.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What's the term? Roguelike-like? It has a few features commonly associated with roguelikes (chiefly, randomly-generated maps and very easy deaths), but it doesn't feel like a "real" roguelike, no. The random levels are a borderline-nonissue anyway, since they're generated simply by slapping down self-contained rooms in a random arrangement. If things could follow you from one room to the next then that'd be a different story. I don't really think of it as having permanent death, since your meta-character (the "legacy") sticks around across lives.

I was really hoping that when I beat it I'd unlock a mode which was balanced around clearing all four sectors and the final boss on a single character that "started from scratch". Such a mode would be closer to a "true" roguelike, or at least would have proper permadeath.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

OtspIII posted:

The fact you have to choose your build/equipment before playing and its fixed doesn't help too. Honestly I think there might be some rougelike elements in the game but its overshadowed by its far too low content in the dungeon to feel like one.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

One of my main issues with Rogue Legacy and how it handles things is that it's really full of 'artificial' difficulty compared to actual roguelikes. A lot of the classes are just hilariously ineffective at being useful and sometimes you can walk into a room and automatically get hit because due to the way poo poo spawned there's no way to avoid it. Binding of Isaac has the same issue occasionally, but that game actually gives out more health so it's not much of an issue unless you're going for an achievement for not getting hurt in a certain area. It would help if the Rogue Legacy devs would balance poo poo a tiny bit more in favor of the player and make a few more classes worth half a drat, but I'm not really holding my breath. In the meanwhile it's still pretty much a grind-a-thon, something that good/actual roguelikes do away with if they get the chance.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's also a game in which you need to die in order to upgrade your characters, and I think that character progression being linked to death is not only something that goes against the whole idea of roguelikes, but against good game design in general.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

One of my main issues with Rogue Legacy and how it handles things is that it's really full of 'artificial' difficulty compared to actual roguelikes. A lot of the classes are just hilariously ineffective at being useful and sometimes you can walk into a room and automatically get hit because due to the way poo poo spawned there's no way to avoid it. Binding of Isaac has the same issue occasionally, but that game actually gives out more health so it's not much of an issue unless you're going for an achievement for not getting hurt in a certain area. It would help if the Rogue Legacy devs would balance poo poo a tiny bit more in favor of the player and make a few more classes worth half a drat, but I'm not really holding my breath. In the meanwhile it's still pretty much a grind-a-thon, something that good/actual roguelikes do away with if they get the chance.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. :(

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
And add the fact that you are incentivized to skip every enemy that isn't blocking your way, since losing health is significantly more detrimental than missing out on some piddly amount of gold. The game is optimally played like a bullethell game, skipping all the potentially interesting combat or opportunities in order to beeline for the bosses.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

It's also a game in which you need to die in order to upgrade your characters, and I think that character progression being linked to death is not only something that goes against the whole idea of roguelikes, but against good game design in general.

Yeah, the lack of progession within a character is what really kills it for me. If it had some manner of random powerups ala risk of rain it might redeem the game in my eyes, but as of now I have no desire to play it. I love the desperate hope in one's fleeting, fragile character that roguelikes provide, and RL just falls flat there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 2, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MrBims posted:

And add the fact that you are incentivized to skip every enemy that isn't blocking your way, since losing health is significantly more detrimental than missing out on some piddly amount of gold. The game is optimally played like a bullethell game, skipping all the potentially interesting combat or opportunities in order to beeline for the bosses.

This, at least, is not contrary to how most roguelikes play out. Combat is often better avoided or trivialized.

But yeah, I'd agree it strays a lot further from a roguelike than something like Spelunky.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Oh sweet, 13 new posts in the Rogulike Thread... oh. We're discussing what a Roguelike is or isn't again. :cheers:

In other news

DalaranJ posted:

What do you think are the gameplay aesthetics that appeal to you about rogue or other roguelikes?

I feel that they are (in order of importance to me personally),
'real' strategic decisions in game play
and exploration and discovery.

So if we think about these two aesthetics as being desirable to people who enjoy roguelikes we can see how the mechanics of roguelikes are derived from that. Procedural generation combined with permadeath ensures constantly renewed exploration and if the game is properly organized causes emergent strategic situations. Likewise, the item Iding game combines strategic decisions with renewed discovery. 'This potion could be dangerous, what is the safest place and time to test it?'

If you want your game to be roguey make sure your mechanics point towards these two types of aesthetics. Obviously the game should also have mechanics that point it towards beat em' up too. Honestly, I want to see the UI look and act a lot more like a beat em' up, maybe Golden Axe?

When I play a roguelike, I hunger for those moments when everything clicks and you overcome a tough challenge. You've died a bunch, learned how this and that works, and now you're facing off against something very difficult that is going to require a near perfect sequence of choices to succeed. When you win because you used the right items, the right powers, and were prepared for the encounter's particular nuances, that's the best. For me, anyway.

I also really love sandboxes and procedural worlds. That's not really core roguelike but it is something that calls to me.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah, the lack of progession within a character is what really kills it for me. If it had some manner of random powerups ala risk of rain it might redeem the game in my eyes, but as of now I have no desire to play it. I love the desperate hope in one's fleeting, fragile character that roguelikes provide, and RL just falls flat there.

I actually really like the idea of a game where every time you die you get a chance to cash in on upgrades using the winnings of your last life, but I agree that the lack of progression within a run wasn't all that engaging. I think the two modes of progress could be combined into something really interesting--especially for a roguelike.

poo poo, what games did do a good job of this? Baroque?

Wait, why doesn't anybody ever talk about Baroque any more?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

deptstoremook posted:

I've been having a great time with Risk of Rain the last few days, though I've come to believe that drones are seriously overpowered, especially once you get 3 or more of them. It's hard to resist, though, because if the game is giving you drones they're in lieu of other items--so often it feels too easy with drones, too hard without them. Any thoughts?

Drones are pretty nice if you're long range, but for chars like Acrid/Merc/Han-D they tend to explode pretty easily. Also there is a RoR thread here.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

OtspIII posted:

I actually really like the idea of a game where every time you die you get a chance to cash in on upgrades using the winnings of your last life, but I agree that the lack of progression within a run wasn't all that engaging. I think the two modes of progress could be combined into something really interesting--especially for a roguelike.

Because everyone played the watered down PS2/Wii version.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

madjackmcmad posted:

Oh sweet, 13 new posts in the Rogulike Thread... oh. We're discussing what a Roguelike is or isn't again. :cheers:

I also really love sandboxes and procedural worlds. That's not really core roguelike but it is something that calls to me.

No people wasn't they was discussing the badness of rougelegacy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

OtspIII posted:

Yeah, I definitely have no problem with post-game progression, it is pretty cool in dungeonmans. I also very much like class unlocks in ToME4, even if some of them are quite obscure. I just don't think it is an acceptable substitute for your character getting stronger during a game, and I think that was well-highlighted in rogue legacy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah, I definitely have no problem with post-game progression, it is pretty cool in dungeonmans. I also very much like class unlocks in ToME4, even if some of them are quite obscure. I just don't think it is an acceptable substitute for your character getting stronger during a game, and I think that was well-highlighted in rogue legacy.

Yeah, there's certainly a feeling of "Man, I keep dying the instant I set foot in this area, I guess I'll need to suicide another few dozen characters into the previous region to buff my stats until I can survive in the new region." Regardless of whether or not that's true, it's certainly how I felt at several points.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The idea of a roguelike platformer intrigues me so hopefully someone gets it right. Catacomb Kids is looking pretty good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N59tLIvQeJE

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

OtspIII posted:

I had baroque on ps2 and it was fun for the price I got it at. Discovered some pretty good trick for unlimited health and used it to win the main game hell yeah.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

The idea of a roguelike platformer intrigues me so hopefully someone gets it right. Catacomb Kids is looking pretty good though

You might want to keep your eye on Chasm, which had a successful Kickstarter earlier this year.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Wow, Chasms aesthetic is really really neat. I hope it's a great game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That game definitely looks cool, hope they make their stretch goal to add "roguelike mode".

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

They didn't. :saddowns: But they did say they'll be doing their best to add everything to the game, if possible.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Okay, so I have a tech question about Brogue, the tile version from this site - http://oryxdesignlab.com/brogue-tiles/

Thing is, it seems only willing to run in a window, and that window is bigger than my drat screen. I can only see like two-thirds of it at any given time. There's no menu option in-game to change the res and I couldn't find any obvious files in the folder that might let me change it. Is there some kind of Windows-related magic that lets me change the res of a specific program?

Also I've been looking at the mechanics of it (not been able to play the game yet) and Pixel Dungeons on Android seems heavily based on Brogue. It's super cute and free and in constant development so you should check it out if you want.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Corridor posted:

Thing is, it seems only willing to run in a window, and that window is bigger than my drat screen. I can only see like two-thirds of it at any given time. There's no menu option in-game to change the res and I couldn't find any obvious files in the folder that might let me change it. Is there some kind of Windows-related magic that lets me change the res of a specific program?

Press 'Page Down' (it's supposed to be '-' but that doesn't work?). Unlike the non-tiles version the tiles version only allows two sizes though so if 'small' doesn't fit you're stuck.

Edit: Minus and plus only work when in game. Page Down and Page Up work all the time because they are built in.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 2, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Harminoff posted:

Spelunky already got it right. Twice. That's a great example of how to do post-game content too.

Super house of dead ninjas (or whatever it's called) is well worth picking up, and I'm really looking forward to Towerclimb being finished.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jordan7hm posted:

Spelunky already got it right. Twice. That's a great example of how to do post-game content too.

Super house of dead ninjas (or whatever it's called) is well worth picking up, and I'm really looking forward to Towerclimb being finished.

Spelunky is amazing, yeah. No discussion of roguelike platformers should go without it. SHoDN is also pretty cool and all of like 3 bucks right now on Steam. Probably not the most appropriate game for discussion in the roguelikes thread, but it's fun and worth checking out for anyone interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

There's Risk of Rain too, it's not really traditional platforming but I can't get enough of that game lately. It's absolutely superb.