Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Sleeping pads.
There are more pad manufacturers than just ThermARest, Exped makes good stuff, but my personal favorites are the Q-pads from Big Agnes, which get around some of the comfort issues of traditional air-core pads. Of course, $40 to $80 is a ludicrous price range. You're pretty much limited to 3/4 pads and foam sheets at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Canna Happy posted:

Where do you go in the states for snow free long distance backpacking in January and February?

Oh yeah.

Big Bend in Texas is snow free and will actually have some elevation changes and not just trees.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have that yellow Thermarest Ultralight pad and it's nice, but you have to blow deez nuts the pad with yo mouf.

It is more like 130bux though

The best pad for $40 are those fold-up foam ones.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 28, 2013

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

EightBit posted:

Big Bend in Texas is snow free and will actually have some elevation changes and not just trees.

I spent two weeks in Big Bend this past spring. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but I love to act like I'm a crazy desert person. I was trying to imply that I will be thru hiking the FT starting just after the first of the year. :burger:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My big agnes air core was like 50 and is great. It isn't insulated though but that's only needed in subfreezing temps.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I forget which Big Agnes qcore pad that I have, but I really like it. I think it was a little over 100, but the thing that stood out was that it was significantly thicker than other pads for the same weight.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The REI flash pad goes on sale sometimes or you can get it with the 20% off for around $75 or so. Pretty decent if you're ok with the mummy style.

Mary Fucking Poppins
Aug 1, 2002
Has anybody ever been to Siuslaw National Forest? I'm trying to plan a multi-day camping trip to either Oregon or Washington and I'd like to do it in a rainforest-like environment. When is the earliest you could expect to swim in the creeks? And what kind of weather can you expect in spring compared to summer?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Mary loving Poppins posted:

Has anybody ever been to Siuslaw National Forest? I'm trying to plan a multi-day camping trip to either Oregon or Washington and I'd like to do it in a rainforest-like environment. When is the earliest you could expect to swim in the creeks? And what kind of weather can you expect in spring compared to summer?

Wet.

Oregon summers are dry and gorgeous. Any other season is going to be very wet.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Mary loving Poppins posted:

A pretty narrow window in August & September. Maybe late July as well.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Canna Happy posted:

I spent two weeks in Big Bend this past spring. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but I love to act like I'm a crazy desert person. I was trying to imply that I will be thru hiking the FT starting just after the first of the year. :burger:

Do you or any other goons have recommendations as to what might be a good way to spend 5 days backpacking in Big Bend? Any particular trails?

My wife and I are fairly novice backpackers, but we're both in good shape. So, I don't think any physical limitations should come into play.

Any particular sites or resources you use to plan trips like the extended Big Bend trip you took?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Honestly, Big Bend isn't really a giant backpacker destination in my opinion. The only real backpacking trip is the Loop trail, which is just a two night trip. You can do an over nighter and make your own little loop up in the mountain area if you don't want to do the loop. I did a lot of camping in the campgrounds at Big Bend and just doing day hikes, enjoying the sunshine.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Canna Happy posted:

Honestly, Big Bend isn't really a giant backpacker destination in my opinion. The only real backpacking trip is the Loop trail, which is just a two night trip. You can do an over nighter and make your own little loop up in the mountain area if you don't want to do the loop. I did a lot of camping in the campgrounds at Big Bend and just doing day hikes, enjoying the sunshine.

This looks kind of fun: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Maps/EmbeddedMap.aspx?tripId=8572&w=800&h=800&b=1

So, if not Big Bend, what's a backpacking destination in or around TX? My wife and I live in Austin, and we're looking for something other than a day hike.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

I think big bend is your go to spot in that area. I would just go there if you haven't yet and fill your extra days doing some of the fun day/short hikes. The hot springs were great for an early am soak, and the hikes near the river are pretty. I had my car so I wasn't willing to do some of the primitive drive to camping, but that could be an option to get away from the people at the three main campgrounds.
I also went to the southern part Guadalupe Mountains NP on my trip. It was a neat park with a lot less people and some options for overnight trips. As a bonus, you can bag the highest point in Texas while there.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

M.C. McMic posted:

This looks kind of fun: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Maps/EmbeddedMap.aspx?tripId=8572&w=800&h=800&b=1

So, if not Big Bend, what's a backpacking destination in or around TX? My wife and I live in Austin, and we're looking for something other than a day hike.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouachita_National_Recreation_Trail

Ouachita National Recreation Trail is a 223-mile (359 km) long, continuous hiking trail through the Ouachita Mountains of Oklahoma and Arkansas. Approximately 177 miles of the trail is in Arkansas and 46 miles of the trail is in Oklahoma. The trail is primarily a hiking and backpacking trail, but about 2/3 of the trail are available to mountain bikers. Segments opened to mountain bikes are from the western terminus of the Ouachita Trail at Talimena State Park to the Big Cedar trailhead on US Highway 259 at approximately Mile Marker (MM) 30.5 in Oklahoma, and from the Talimena Scenic Drive Trailhead at MM 54.1, east to AR State Hwy. 7 at mile 160.4, north of Jessieville, Arkansas.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Ropes4u posted:

Ouachita National Recreation Trail is a 223-mile (359 km) long, continuous hiking trail through the Ouachita Mountains of Oklahoma and Arkansas. Approximately 177 miles of the trail is in Arkansas and 46 miles of the trail is in Oklahoma. The trail is primarily a hiking and backpacking trail, but about 2/3 of the trail are available to mountain bikers. Segments opened to mountain bikes are from the western terminus of the Ouachita Trail at Talimena State Park to the Big Cedar trailhead on US Highway 259 at approximately Mile Marker (MM) 30.5 in Oklahoma, and from the Talimena Scenic Drive Trailhead at MM 54.1, east to AR State Hwy. 7 at mile 160.4, north of Jessieville, Arkansas.
For real, this is beautiful and no one is there.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Ropes4u posted:

Thank you. I was going to ask: Is it just as easy to head to Arkansas or Oklahoma as it would be to go to Big Bend? I've always heard really great things about the hiking/camping in Arkansas.

edit: We are going to do Big Bend first sometime this winter. It's awesome to know that a trail like the Ouachita is there, though. Looks like it's not too much further than Big Bend would be, honestly.

I made reservations for a primitive campsite in a park outside of Austin for next weekend. We're going to do a short hike, set up our stuff and make sure we're not carrying extra crap or forgetting anything obvious... kind of a dry run for Big Bend later this winter. We may go for New Years or around that time.

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 1, 2013

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

M.C. McMic posted:

I made reservations for a primitive campsite in a park outside of Austin for next weekend. We're going to do a short hike, set up our stuff and make sure we're not carrying extra crap or forgetting anything obvious... kind of a dry run for Big Bend later this winter. We may go for New Years or around that time.

Pedernales falls is a decent one or two night park. 2 mile hike to primitive area and 15ish miles of trails. I was there recently and it was a good spot to hike in, set up a camp and then go day hiking.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If anyone is looking for a rain jacket, I've got a once-worn Marmot Precip for sale: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590377

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Josh Lyman posted:

If anyone is looking for a rain jacket, I've got a once-worn Marmot Precip for sale: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590377

FWIW, I also have this jacket and have been very pleased with it.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Yiggy posted:

Pedernales falls is a decent one or two night park. 2 mile hike to primitive area and 15ish miles of trails. I was there recently and it was a good spot to hike in, set up a camp and then go day hiking.

Yep, that's the plan. :)

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
So, I'm looking to pick up a mid-layer fleece while some Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals are going on. I've narrowed it down to about 5, but I don't really know enough to make distinctions between them (like, is X significantly more durable than Y to justify the price increase).

What I'll be using it for: Hiking mostly, but also around town as a cool weather jacket. Since I live in a desert I imagine it will replace a lot of my current sweaters in the mild winters.

Region: Around Las Vegas, Red Rock Canyon, Mt. Charleston, Zion, Grand Canyon.

Price range: Initially I was trying to get it down around 50, but that looks to be a little low for better quality stuff? Preferably I'd keep it under a 100, but am willing to push a little beyond that especially since I'll probably get good use out of it.

Things I'm looking at, all listed at Moutaingear.com which seemed to have the best sale prices & listed lifetime guarantee:

Mountain Gear, Microchill Zip, $55.

Marmot, Reactor Half-Zip, $63. *My current front-runner*

Patagonia, R1 Pullover, $77.

Arc'Teryx, Delta AR Zip, $100.

Marmot, Vars Hoodie, $100.

I guess mainly I'm looking for opinions regarding quality/durability, whether the manufacturers are known for being warmer/colder.

Alternatively, if anyone has other suggestions I'm certainly willing to consider other options.

I guess the best idea is to go into REI or something and try a bunch on. But I always feel bad about going to a store and trying stuff if I actually plan to buy online for a discount.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you're actually going to be wearing it as a mid layer, have you considered merino wool? It's hard to beat, and I picked up a Minus 33 mid layer in merino for like $53 on Amazon.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea
I hasn't given much thought to that. I imagine it will really function rear end the top layer since i don't envision much hiking camping when it gets much below 45. But optimally i want something that could function in both capacities. I'm just getting back into it after taking a little more than a decade off, and flexibility of use is important to me.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Capt. Sticl posted:

I hasn't given much thought to that. I imagine it will really function rear end the top layer since i don't envision much hiking camping when it gets much below 45. But optimally i want something that could function in both capacities. I'm just getting back into it after taking a little more than a decade off, and flexibility of use is important to me.

I have the hoody version of the Patagonia R1, which I love. It can't substitute for a shell, though; the R1 fleece is wonderfully breathable, which is great until the wind picks up. I tend to use mine more as a heavyweight base layer than anything else. For a real insulating mid layer, I would go with an R2 or R3 fleece if I were dead set on staying with Patagonia.

The other options you have look pretty nice, but I haven't used any of them. One thing to consider is whether you want a membrane or not; this is a layer in between layers of fleece that stops wind and some water. It's not truly waterproof, but it definitely cuts wind. Doesn't breathe as well, though, so that is something to consider. Also can be more expensive. If I were looking for a fleece mid layer, I would steer clear of membranes. If I were going to use it as a shell in windy conditions, I would consider a membrane. If price is an issue, skip the membrane and add in a cheap windbreaker when needed.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I got my brother the Vars Hoody for this birthday last May, and I don't think he's taken it off since.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Anybody here have experience with the enchantments in the Wenatchee NF nearLeavenworth Washington?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enchantments

My group of hiking/backpacking friends wants to try somewhere new (other than RMNP) and the photos of this place have all of us pretty eager to check it out. Ideally we would like to be out there during the drier months of summer. I just wanted to see if anyone can vouch for its worthiness.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Verman posted:

Anybody here have experience with the enchantments in the Wenatchee NF nearLeavenworth Washington?

My group of hiking/backpacking friends wants to try somewhere new (other than RMNP) and the photos of this place have all of us pretty eager to check it out. Ideally we would like to be out there during the drier months of summer. I just wanted to see if anyone can vouch for its worthiness.

Yeah, it's been brought up a few times before in this thread, everyone who has been there unanimously agrees it's well worth the trip. It's my favorite backpacking destination that I've been to in the PNW for what it's worth.

I'd go back every summer if not for the difficulty getting a permit. I've tried the past two years to no success. I'll keep trying and just go whenever possible.

The first time we went we just camped in Leavenworth the night before and went to the ranger station when it opened up to be entered in the lottery. I think we had like a ~50/50 shot at it based on how many other people were there... that was I think August which is fairly peak season.

Here are my photos from our trip there in October a few years back. It was the first weekend after the permit limitations dropped off in the fall.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinkent/sets/72157627928346666/with/6259505607/

We took the back entrance in past Colchuck Lake and up Aasgard Pass... I'd recommend it as the fastest way in but the out-and-back past Snow Lake & Nada Lake isn't a bad way to go either, just a longer more gradual slog.

This is me about 1/3 of the way up Aasgard Pass.

For scale, our tents are setup under the large larch in the bottom right corner w/ Aasgard Pass behind Colchuck Lake.

click to view high-res

We got really lucky that year in that we were camping down at Colchuck the first night and got rained on a bit but not bad. Everyone camping up in the upper basin had snow dumped on them. The next morning we went up the pass w/ blue skies and were treated to a pristine snowy landscape w/ good weather to hike in. It definitely would not have been fun having to try to make it through there in a snow storm and we probably would have lost the trail a good number of times.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 2, 2013

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

'Doze the homes
Block the sea

Business of Ferrets posted:

The other options you have look pretty nice, but I haven't used any of them. One thing to consider is whether you want a membrane or not; this is a layer in between layers of fleece that stops wind and some water. It's not truly waterproof, but it definitely cuts wind. Doesn't breathe as well, though, so that is something to consider. Also can be more expensive. If I were looking for a fleece mid layer, I would steer clear of membranes. If I were going to use it as a shell in windy conditions, I would consider a membrane. If price is an issue, skip the membrane and add in a cheap windbreaker when needed.

Speleothing posted:

I got my brother the Vars Hoody for this birthday last May, and I don't think he's taken it off since.

Thanks for all the feedback and info. Ended up going with the Vars Hoody.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A while ago, someone posted about great hiking places in Florida, USA, and I can't find this post now (other than a mention of the FL trail on the prev page).

I'm going there over Xmas, and I'd love a little time away from my family to do some hiking and see what's left of Florida's non-developed landscape. Last Xmas I spent there, I managed to hike around in a hunting ground during the non-hunting season, and it was gorgeous.

So, any recommendations? I'll be in the Ft Myers area.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Verman posted:

If you can get the permit, it is an unforgettable place to see, and you should bring an extra battery for your camera. Pictures don't do it justice, it's amazing. Also, the goats are huge and awesome and don't care about anything (except pee).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Discomancer posted:

If you can get the permit, it is an unforgettable place to see, and you should bring an extra battery for your camera. Pictures don't do it justice, it's amazing. Also, the goats are huge and awesome and don't care about anything (except pee).

pretty sure I've peed on that rock in the foreground before... the goats love that poo poo.

The first time we went we carried ropes and climbing gear in and climbed Prussik Peak in the background there. Fun ~5 pitch climb.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a down jacket that isn't sized for a fat man who doesn't go outside? Looking for general cold weather (above freezing, like 40 degrees), not like a mountaineering subzero giant puffy thing.

I swear I try on the Patagonia/South Butt ones and it's DADMODE ENGAGED. "Slim fit" has come to mean "up to 20 lbs overweight" in outdoorswear.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dead bird.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a down jacket that isn't sized for a fat man who doesn't go outside? Looking for general cold weather (above freezing, like 40 degrees), not like a mountaineering subzero giant puffy thing.

I swear I try on the Patagonia/South Butt ones and it's DADMODE ENGAGED. "Slim fit" has come to mean "up to 20 lbs overweight" in outdoorswear.

Mountain hardware makes pretty slim fitting stuff, they have a down cityish jacket that is slimmer, and Ive always found their jackets to be narrow.

mystes
May 31, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

How about the Montbell Ex Light jacket? If you're really skinny it might not be slim enough but it's way slimmer than Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, etc. (If you need pockets and stuff I think they have other versions that are still appropriate for your temperature range)

Edit: For reference, I'm 6'1 or 6'2, 185lbs and the large fits me pretty well.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 3, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Buy from euro companies or dead bird Acr'teryx Equipment Inc. Marmot still makes some trim-fitting stuff, if you look hard enough.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 3, 2013

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I wear a patagonia down sweater in a small when everything else I own is medium to large and I don't think it's too bulky but...

evil_bunnY posted:

Dead bird.

this is probably the right answer now that they've broken into the market. I have yet to try their down on but I'm sure it's cut far more slim-fitting.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Is it just me or does no clothing brand come up when I google "Dead Bird"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

arcteryx, sorry.