Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

Currently leveling an Obex, I'm having a shitload of fun with it, almost considering supercharging it because it's just so fun and if nothing else, it would probably be more unique than a Galatine or Zoren or etcetera. I'm currently considering Fury, Melee Prowess, Pressure Point, and Blast damage; are there any other mods I should consider to make them better/suck less?

The Obex finisher attack is great, and with blast damage you might be seeing it more often, so consider Finishing Touch.

Obex is kind of an oddity because a bunch of build types seem viable on it. You can go for extremely rapid normal attacks and boost your crit rate to make lots of yellow numbers, or do the same with elements to try to inflict statuses, or slot Reach and Finishing Touch and jump around knocking everyone down and pummeling them, or make a build to one-shot MOAs with the magnetic-type charge attack, or just crank the damage and try to showboat with the wall attack, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

I think Nekros would be a good posterboy for the Viral elemental effect. Viral procs remove 50% of an enemies health over 6 seconds. Not that big of a deal at lower levels, but once you get up in level removing half an enemies health pool is pretty drat great. Slap it on Terrified enemies instead of the useless armor debuff and you got a winning ability that people will want to cast.

If they can't make shadows smarter, lower the cost and let me recast it, so I can keep shadows in play even when they stay behind. It's useless in any mission other than defense cause they won't follow you at all. If they won't make them any stronger, give them some kind of debuff to enemies they are close to. Maybe make enemies run away from them or something. I think it would be pretty scary if I was having to fight my friends who just got raised from the dead and are trying (and failing) to kill me.

Maybe look at how other games handle minions. I like how in Path of Exile a witch has the Raise Zombie ability to summon living meatshields from corpses, while you can also single out specific enemies with Raise Spectre to summon exact copies of enemies with better stats to deal out big time damage.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Desecrate should explode corpses

I want to be as obnoxious as Nova is to my Nekros. DE do this god drat it.

Dapper Man fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 2, 2013

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

chumbler posted:

Damage 2.0 was a pretty solid buff to Ember (also Volt and Frost). Fireball is actually somewhat decent now (still needs better particles, though). Overheat is still kinda meh unless you enjoy hugging people to death, but having a poo poo skill is common to all frames except Rhino, God King of All Frames. Plus Ember prime looks cool, which is as good as a buff.
That's bringing poo poo down into Ember's range, not an insane Mag buff, not a closer look and thorough redesign that they said they'd do.

I brought this up before. Ember has a straightforward procedure:
1. Get into the middle of the poo poo.
2. Survive getting into the middle of the poo poo.
3. Burn everything around you.

She has no 1 - someone suggested a hellstep teleport to much approval either earlier this thread or late last thread - helicopters blades do not count, they are not built-in.
Her 2 got nerfed into oblivion short of an absurdly resource-intensive mod setup because the very concept of a tanky caster is alien and disturbing to DE.
She has three 3s - one has fuckall for range, one has a target limit and may very well have been made worse in other ways.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

W....what?

HOW?
Right? I was swearing up and down in clanchat when I looked it up. Then, for a brief moment, it occured to me that maybe that D and V slot combo was meant to go with a Quick Thinking / Rage combo, because it fulfilled step 2. Then they nerfed QT/Rage literally less than an hour after I had that thought.

Dapper Man posted:

I think Nekros would be a good posterboy for the Viral elemental effect. Viral procs remove 50% of an enemies health over 6 seconds. Not that big of a deal at lower levels, but once you get up in level removing half an enemies health pool is pretty drat great. Slap it on Terrified enemies instead of the useless armor debuff and you got a winning ability that people will want to cast.
I used to joke that Excalibur was an Armor Piercing elemental. With the new elements, this here is a concept I can get behind.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a google doc or anything where people are keeping referral codes for this game? Just finished downloading it, and I'd rather sign up with one so somegoon can get the free referral moneys rather than just let it go to waste.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Broniki posted:

I don't see a lot of people in this game, is it very active? I disabled the ping limit but it's still pretty tough to find teams for a lot of missions.

It's becoming a pain trying to access some of the outer planets because I can't find people to help me clear the intermediate ones (especially Neptune which is a dead zone). I'm considering attempting them solo.

Warframe sometimes makes it up on the most played list on Steam and it is not a Steam only game so it is quite active. Where people are hanging out I have no idea. I think the metacritic score scares people off, which stinks because the game is still in beta and that score will be stuck with the game forever.

Once we get PS4 cross play we should see more people playing which will be nice.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kokoro Wish posted:

Which I think has been stated in this thread is a side effect of Damage 2.0 and the developers have now been made awarre that armour is now worse than ever. I hope they don't touch her shields at all and instead make armour worth more than it is (or has ever been).

She'd need some way to regain health. Even when armor was nearly twice as good as it is now, it still wasn't a survivable stat unless you achieved something like 90%+ mitigation(and thus broken invulnerability like old Overheat/Iron Skin) because it doesn't come back and any given mission involves fighting and killing a lot of dudes.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Kanos posted:

She'd need some way to regain health. Even when armor was nearly twice as good as it is now, it still wasn't a survivable stat unless you achieved something like 90%+ mitigation(and thus broken invulnerability like old Overheat/Iron Skin) because it doesn't come back and any given mission involves fighting and killing a lot of dudes.

I just slot the Equilibrium mod. So much energy drops during a level that I can keep health topped up pretty well with just that, and easily be back up to full heath after a Hysteria induced slaughter. But yes, armour is being looked at now hopefully, and will be made useful at some point.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 2, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kokoro Wish posted:

I just slot the Equalibrium mod. So much energy drops during a level that I can keep health topped up pretty well with just that, and easily be back up to full heath after a Hysteria induced slaughter.

Too bad Rejuvenation and Energy Siphon aren't affected by Equilibrium.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Yaos posted:

Warframe sometimes makes it up on the most played list on Steam and it is not a Steam only game so it is quite active. Where people are hanging out I have no idea. I think the metacritic score scares people off, which stinks because the game is still in beta and that score will be stuck with the game forever.

Once we get PS4 cross play we should see more people playing which will be nice.

I've been playing this for about a week, logging in almost daily for short periods of time, and frankly this game deserves a low metacritic score.

There's a really fun game wrapped in a unique aesthetic here, but it's been buried under a mountain of shoddy programming and poor design decisions by the blatantly incompetent developers. Warframe is a great idea in dire need of a good developer.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Wheeee posted:

I've been playing this for about a week, logging in almost daily for short periods of time, and frankly this game deserves a low metacritic score.

There's a really fun game wrapped in a unique aesthetic here, but it's been buried under a mountain of shoddy programming and poor design decisions by the blatantly incompetent developers. Warframe is a great idea in dire need of a good developer.

DE aren't "blatantly incompetent". They made a bunch of highly questionable design decisions early on that they can't change now because it'd gently caress with everything they've done, implementing fundamental design changes would take forever, and they've got a revenue stream.

If you want "blatantly incompetent", look at companies such as PGI and whoever the gently caress is developing that TES mmo.

edit: To be clear, DE have definitely proven they're not a Grade-A studio with regards to solo projects. A quick look at their history shows this very clearly.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 2, 2013

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
To me they seem at the very least technically competant as this game runs glass on my way out of date system at full detail. And they must be doing something right design wise as well as this is a game I and my friends have sunk far too many hours on with no money spent until recent months.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I got Nekros cause I'm both an idiot and the idea of summoning up things I killed reminded me a lot of the D2 Necromancer. They even gave him both a line aoe and a fear effect. Also my buddies and I do a bunch of survival missions, where he's incredibly useful. So my Nekros fix? Bump the limit of shadows you can summon, and remove the time limit. They can die, but they don't have a duration otherwise. Recasts will replace fallen shadows.
Even with an army of 20 napalm grineer that will follow you until death, you're still not as powerful as Molecular Prime.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
A big thing to consider with DE and Warframe is that they haven't developed a game like this before and the game has not been in development very long (comparatively). They are adapting and getting better every patch cycle.

They've definitely made some bad decisions in the design department but they do seem to be slowly learning from them which can't be said for lots of studios, even triple-A high-budget ones with years of experience. As someone previously mentioned just look at the abortion that is ESO. Or Blizzard who just scrapped 5 years of development and countless millions on Titan. For only 2ish years of dev time by a smaller studio, Warframe is coming along pretty well.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

Kokoro Wish posted:

To me they seem at the very least technically competant as this game runs glass on my way out of date system at full detail. And they must be doing something right design wise as well as this is a game I and my friends have sunk far too many hours on with no money spent until recent months.

They are.

Sam's Cola, "Oh God I'm Too Poor For Diet Lime Reporting On Performance Again":

The game performs amicably! My legacy hardware struggles only under the most extreme circumstances; and it recovers quickly. Additionally, the screen has frozen due to other software. Many games would crash but so far Warframe has recovered every single time. This happens rarely.

For Core2 and Athlon legacy users a quad-core at 3.2+Ghz with at least 4GB of RAM is strongly recommended. That said, you will have a good experience with that outdated hardware as long as you don't expect perfection.

If you're willing to really scrape the bottom of the barrel, a dual core would get by in most situations. If you're solo or with one other player. Expect dips into the mid 20's though during the most intense scenes, and certain character skill combinations will bottom out your framerate. Advertised minimum system requirements are not completely beyond the realm of reason; though lower than I would advertise personally.

It does have a plethora of what I call "quirk bugs" - quests break forcing you to abandon without reward, boss AI breaks, characters de-synch and lose their ability to damage stuff; I've teleported outside the world and gotten stuck inside walls. Once you fall a certain distance outside the map, players teleport back in. When I got stuck in walls the ability that caused it brought me out as well. Characters load without colors, characters load without heads, aesthetic weapon effects get "stuck". Load-outs revert for no reason, UI elements fail to respond; expect occasional network connection problems probably due to ports, UPNP, or DNS (router related).

Warframe includes a ping-limiter (set maximum) and informs you if the only available session is beyond your maximum.

PhysX implementation is noticeable but conservative in application. Low end cards like the GTX460 paired with a fast enough processor will be able to utilize their tessellation and PhysX features without issue.

Lawlicaust posted:

A big thing to consider with DE and Warframe is that they haven't developed a game like this before and the game has not been in development very long (comparatively). They are adapting and getting better every patch cycle.

They've definitely made some bad decisions in the design department but they do seem to be slowly learning from them which can't be said for lots of studios, even triple-A high-budget ones with years of experience. As someone previously mentioned just look at the abortion that is ESO. Or Blizzard who just scrapped 5 years of development and countless millions on Titan. For only 2ish years of dev time by a smaller studio, Warframe is coming along pretty well.

I approached this game without expectation (as I do all games, it is my way) and my greatest annoyance is that a certain "APPLY" button kicks you back a menu when I'd rather it not.

So you know, good impressions!

There are some opaque game mechanics, but they are not difficult to learn if you're willing to ask questions and do a minimum of outside reading. I'd like to see an in-game mod-card system tutorial for people without backup. The community is friendly and a candid stranger can make lasting allies using only the text chat. That's one of the most important things in a coop game.

I will say the included voip implementation is quite horrid and I am no audiophile.

To everyone who let me tag along in towers today, and who helped me with my level 2 and 3 towers; thank you profusely! We ran probably less than a dozen towers, but I walked out with a Laton Prime, which is pretty nice. Holy poo poo that was a long post.

Diet Lime fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 2, 2013

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

DE may make some shaky design decisions, but you cannot say that their developed in-house Evolution Engine does not run like silk. Sometimes I'll have been playing for an hour and not notice until I've quit that my 4 year old laptop has been running on the Intel GPU in power saving mode.

Edit: This is how you do Shadows of the Dead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rClP_3GUkKk

Dapper Man fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 2, 2013

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

Wheeee posted:

As a person who is itching to play MechWarrior Online the moment my 3-day Warframe bonus ends, I assure you that's wrong.

Metacritic blows and anyone with a brain doesn't give a gently caress about video game review scores. I would be so bold as to say I could do better than the entire video game review industry as a single person remaining objective and just telling it how it is instead of reaching for how it should or could be, which is what I see reviewers doing. Constructive criticism and feedback are essential; but not necessarily so useful when trying to explain whether you'll like to play a game or not.

After all, what value do reviews have in an environment that's free to test and form your own opinion directly?

Warframe is Mass Effect 3's multi-player + Phantasy Star Online but more developed, honestly those are the most apt direct game analogies. If that sounds like something you'd like get in the mumble, let us help crack the ice, and level up an Excalibur. By the time you're done you just might be hooked.

I can't speak to the state of the highest-level play or "end game".

Diet Lime fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 2, 2013

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Kokoro Wish posted:

The engine they're using is at minimum five years old and designed to run on the 360(it's the original Dark Sector's engine) and is full of dumb poo poo. FOR EXAMPLE, aiming lets you do this!

Tiny Valkyr standing on another warframe's head!

There's also birgirpall's "I Broke Star Trek" video, which showcases some bugs that stuck around for a really long time in Warframe and some which were never really fixed at all. Including the aiming thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ2X8PHAI6Y

Warframe deserves its score. When Warframe "launches"(even though it will never be out of beta until maybe just before they discontinue development) it'll get reviewed again. And it'll still get a low score.

Its saving graces are that it's not particularly difficult so many of the balance issues don't always matter, the grind isn't so monstrous that the random issues with missions and mission rewards aren't crippling, and it's really really easy to drop into a game and just play. Then randomly phase through a wall or get pulled through the floor by a door and fall into the void and be stuck forever/die and revive because there's no /unstuck command or ability to report bugs ingame because clearly that's what a beta doesn't need did I mention it's a beta guys it's a beta can't judge a buggy beta it's a beta even though we're taking people's money for it it's still a beta can't judge what the final product is going to be even though we're currently selling it you can't judge a beta

Diet Lime posted:

As a person who is itching to play MechWarrior Online the moment my 3-day Warframe bonus ends, I assure you that's wrong.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Did you finally snap or something Denzine?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Diet Lime posted:

I tried uninstalling MWO earlier. It turns out that "the installer literally does not work" wasn't a joke.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Denzine posted:

The engine they're using is at minimum five years old and designed to run on the 360(it's the original Dark Sector's engine) and is full of dumb poo poo. FOR EXAMPLE, aiming lets you do this!

There's also birgirpall's "I Broke Star Trek" video, which showcases some bugs that stuck around for a really long time in Warframe and some which were never really fixed at all. Including the aiming thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ2X8PHAI6Y

Warframe deserves its score. When Warframe "launches"(even though it will never be out of beta until maybe just before they discontinue development) it'll get reviewed again. And it'll still get a low score.

Its saving graces are that it's not particularly difficult so many of the balance issues don't always matter, the grind isn't so monstrous that the random issues with missions and mission rewards aren't crippling, and it's really really easy to drop into a game and just play. Then randomly phase through a wall or get pulled through the floor by a door and fall into the void and be stuck forever/die and revive because there's no /unstuck command or ability to report bugs ingame because clearly that's what a beta doesn't need did I mention it's a beta guys it's a beta can't judge a buggy beta it's a beta even though we're taking people's money for it it's still a beta can't judge what the final product is going to be even though we're currently selling it you can't judge a beta

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Would you care for a bottle, and a nap?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Did you finally snap or something Denzine?

I can't say that I disagree with him or anything. WF manages to throw something new at me every day that has me going "What? Why?". Currently I'm enjoying how Damage 2.0 didn't fix the armor scaling concept so high-level enemies Grineer still become invulnerable to anything that's not Corrosive and Puncture.

(Here's a better armor scaling concept: don't scale armor. You're welcome, DE.)

Or on the more technical end, the Titan Extractor collect functionality is pretty neat...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Prav posted:

I can't say that I disagree with him or anything. WF manages to throw something new at me every day that has me going "What? Why?". Currently I'm enjoying how Damage 2.0 didn't fix the armor scaling concept so high-level enemies Grineer still become invulnerable to anything that's not Corrosive and Puncture.

(Here's a better armor scaling concept: don't scale armor. You're welcome, DE.)

Or on the more technical end, the Titan Extractor collect functionality is pretty neat...

I dunno, my Dread with Blast can one-hit grineer heavies with charged headshots well into the low-mid 50s, and that's only a +25% against "armor". I don't think it's necessarily a damage typing issue so much as it's an issue of a huge gigantic shitload of weapons simply being undertuned garbage so even with sweeping changes to the damage system their numbers are too low to function. A lot of previously lovely weapons have made out like proverbial bandits with this patch(for me in particular, my Ignis, Glaive, and Dread all went from poo poo that I only pulled out for fun to poo poo that I bring to tier 3 and derelict defenses and don't regret it), which suggests it's a step in the right direction.

They need to spend pretty much an entire content patch on just balancing the content that's already there. Fix the weak warframes. Go over that token useless power that every frame has and give it the Mag/Rhino treatment. Review all of those lovely but fun weapons that no one in their right mind should use like the Miter and the Tigris and make them good.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 2, 2013

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Ruddha posted:

Would you care for a bottle, and a nap?

I like you.

Piercing is reduced by Armor so slotting Pierce isn't as useful as slotting Blast. Pierce is an extra 30% damage based off 90% of a (mostly Pierce) gun's base damage with a 50% bonus vs armor for one card slot. Blast takes 2 slots(cold+fire) for 180% of a gun's base damage with a further 25% bonus vs armor. Assuming the gun has 100 Pierce damage, that's 100*.3=30*1.5=45 extra Piercing damage(90 for pistols) vs. 100*1.8=180*1.25=225 Blast damage.

Grineer heads also seem to be unarmored, so even if Piercing DID ignore armor your rainbow build would have a solid backup plan of "shoot mans in head" for ridiculous amounts of damage.

The piercing/impact/slashing damage mods are basically worthless and you shouldn't slot them. Shotguns and melee get Piercing bonuses attached to other things that you'd slot anyway, so that's not a concern.

edit: vvv My intense dislike of cooldowns aside, you know they'd just add cooldown reduction mods and we'd be right back where we started.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 2, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Oh I think cooldowns are a bad solution as well, but it's all I've got at the moment. I'd sooner just not have the boring room clear ults at all, but fat chance of that happening. And yeah, they'd definitely just add cooldown mods.

Kanos posted:

Go over that token useless power that every frame has and give it the Mag/Rhino treatment.

To be honest I don't really want them to give every frame insane Mag/Rhino buffs. If anything, Rhino, Mag, and Nova need to be brought way down. I'm of the probably not terribly popular opinion at least on their forums that allowing players to trivialize the game to that degree is really not a good thing. I'd put Volt, Vauban, Loki, Frost, and Saryn as more or less the standards for where frames should be, with cooldowns added to their ults to keep them as the Oh poo poo buttons they should be rather than just something you hit when you have 100 energy and there are more than 2 things in view. Honestly Nova would probably be pretty balanced as well if they just did that to her. A few of the others would need some toning down to get to that state and a few some tuning up, but it's not like there aren't good standards that you could point to that feel good to use without making the game boring. There's no point in playing a game where the content is trivially easy.

Edit: Actually Nyx isn't particularly well balanced either, so cross her off that list.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 2, 2013

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Denzine posted:

My intense dislike of cooldowns aside, you know they'd just add cooldown reduction mods and we'd be right back where we started.

Oh, but the 75% cooldown reduction would be paired with a 33% reduction in cast time and it'd be a 10-level rare mod so it'd be fine. Counts as loads of additional content too.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Could I get a PS4 invite please?

PSN is alex_kidd1234.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

chumbler posted:

To be honest I don't really want them to give every frame insane Mag/Rhino buffs. If anything, Rhino, Mag, and Nova need to be brought way down. I'm of the probably not terribly popular opinion at least on their forums that allowing players to trivialize the game to that degree is really not a good thing. I'd put Volt, Vauban, Loki, Frost, Saryn, and Nyx as more or less the standards for where frames should be, with cooldowns added to their ults to keep them as the Oh poo poo buttons they should be rather than just something you hit when you have 100 energy and there are more than 2 things in view. Honestly Nova would probably be pretty balanced as well if they just did that to her. A few of the others would need some toning down to get to that state and a few some tuning up, but it's not like there aren't good standards that you could point to that feel good to use without making the game boring. There's no point in playing a game where the content is trivially easy.

Yeah, going to agree with all this. Rhino, Mag and Nova are overtuned, and boy I love my Nova but she's way too powerful.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I think DE just needs to balance their resources a bit better, the impression I get is that they have way too many content creators, and not enough people who can actually clean up the messes in the game. So while their modellers and artists are busy making new weapons/enemies/levels, the coders have to spend most of their time integrating the stuff that's made into the game so they can sell it and keep it making money. It's by no means a good excuse for the way they are running things, but that's the impression I get of how warframe's development is going.

Personally I would welcome a month or two of no new stuff and just balancing old stuff, redesigning the boring mission types (like they have been saying they would do since july/august), making the crap frames more useful, giving every weapon a place that it's actually useful. If they are intent on cramming new stuff in every week though, it would be nice for them to add things people would actually use/play like more alternate defense/mobdef maps, in the style of the corpus outpost defense maps, where there's, you know, more than one that you play every single time.

Also they should really get some other voices in on the core design besides Steve and Scott, they have actively voiced how much they like to do things specifically because it annoys people, and they are really quick to claim some of the worst design choices in the game whenever they are brought on on their livestreams.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm just a newbie that's currently enjoying the game a lot, but I will say that I fully support nerfing aoe damage ults, it's just not fun for the other dudes you're playing with when you kill everything in a 5 mile radius before they can even leg it over to a mere corpus crewmate :(

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

I'm just a newbie that's currently enjoying the game a lot, but I will say that I fully support nerfing aoe damage ults, it's just not fun for the other dudes you're playing with when you kill everything in a 5 mile radius before they can even leg it over to a mere corpus crewmate :(
The thing is, weapons do it nearly as well. The only ability that is holy poo poo broken against tons of guys is Nova's m.prime and Rhino's stomp. Rhino's stomp even breaks many boss fights, as does m.prime's speed reduction. The catch is that Rhino is sluggish compared to nova, and I'd much rather be nova as a result. Nova can also use m.prime while launching through the air with zorens, so can Nyx with Chaos, and that alone places them above mag in tiers. Rhino can't use his ability in the air either, but Rhino is so solid all around that it doesn't matter.

I don't even get why people complain about mag. What ability is good? 4 isn't it. I'd rather just shoot things most of the time. I'd place Nyx in a higher tier than Mag unless I have had the wrong abilities slotted the whole time and it's mag's 2 or 3 that is overpowered as heck. Pull is very good and makes Mag fun, but if you are spamming pull you aren't shooting, and if you are using it before shooting you could have probably killed that enemy or those enemies faster by just shooting. It has great team application and is a strong ability, but in the scope of the other frames and weapon damage I wouldn't call mag overpowered.

edit: I also have every frame maxed and reactored except for Ember Prime. I'd definitely say Nova/Rhino are the top two, if you prefer one over the other it's understandable although I personally only break out Rhino on Derelict Assassinates because he trivializes the fight. Nyx is an irrelevant third with current content maybe relevant if you want to play a defense or survival for hours I don't know, and everything else is below them in various places depending on what you want to do. Loki is probably the best at promotion tests especially with the corrupted mods that give him infinite invisibility even while soloing which is as broken as it sounds, Vauban still has some crazy abilities but he's a niche use frame, Frost's Globe is still insane on high wave defense because you put up an invulnerability wall, and Saryn/Banshee/Mag seem like balanced frames to me that others should move toward. Ember's old overheat was awesome. Not sure how they nerfed that around the time they added new iron skin, which is about as strong as old overheat. Nekros is by far the worst frame in the game. His only useful ability causes you to stand still waving your hand for a while, and it's not even as useful as getting extra loot in a video game about killing guys for loot sounds. Trust me, I was planning on just playing Nekros a bunch because guns are good enough and just spamming desecrate, but desecrate is both tedious to use and not worth spamming unless you are trying to last forever in a survival. All of his other abilities range from useless to buggy and useless.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 2, 2013

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Diet Lime posted:

They are.

Sam's Cola, "Oh God I'm Too Poor For Diet Lime Reporting On Performance Again":

The game performs amicably! My legacy hardware struggles only under the most extreme circumstances; and it recovers quickly. Additionally, the screen has frozen due to other software. Many games would crash but so far Warframe has recovered every single time. This happens rarely.

For Core2 and Athlon legacy users a quad-core at 3.2+Ghz with at least 4GB of RAM is strongly recommended. That said, you will have a good experience with that outdated hardware as long as you don't expect perfection.

If you're willing to really scrape the bottom of the barrel, a dual core would get by in most situations. If you're solo or with one other player. Expect dips into the mid 20's though during the most intense scenes, and certain character skill combinations will bottom out your framerate. Advertised minimum system requirements are not completely beyond the realm of reason; though lower than I would advertise personally.

It does have a plethora of what I call "quirk bugs" - quests break forcing you to abandon without reward, boss AI breaks, characters de-synch and lose their ability to damage stuff; I've teleported outside the world and gotten stuck inside walls. Once you fall a certain distance outside the map, players teleport back in. When I got stuck in walls the ability that caused it brought me out as well. Characters load without colors, characters load without heads, aesthetic weapon effects get "stuck". Load-outs revert for no reason, UI elements fail to respond; expect occasional network connection problems probably due to ports, UPNP, or DNS (router related).

Warframe includes a ping-limiter (set maximum) and informs you if the only available session is beyond your maximum.

PhysX implementation is noticeable but conservative in application. Low end cards like the GTX460 paired with a fast enough processor will be able to utilize their tessellation and PhysX features without issue.

I approached this game without expectation (as I do all games, it is my way) and my greatest annoyance is that a certain "APPLY" button kicks you back a menu when I'd rather it not.

So you know, good impressions!

There are some opaque game mechanics, but they are not difficult to learn if you're willing to ask questions and do a minimum of outside reading. I'd like to see an in-game mod-card system tutorial for people without backup. The community is friendly and a candid stranger can make lasting allies using only the text chat. That's one of the most important things in a coop game.

I will say the included voip implementation is quite horrid and I am no audiophile.

To everyone who let me tag along in towers today, and who helped me with my level 2 and 3 towers; thank you profusely! We ran probably less than a dozen towers, but I walked out with a Laton Prime, which is pretty nice. Holy poo poo that was a long post.

One thing to note: Warframe doesn't deal gracefully with "display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" errors... at all. Mandatory restart, loose your place in the game, no re-joins after the first wave/5 minutes or whatever. Apart from that even my Athlon II ("Athlon legacy", quad-core 3'ish ghz) keeps up quite well when compared to other modern games.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I do wish there was more depth to the gameplay, it feels super shallow and samey after the absurd amount of time I put into it. But it got me to play way too much to begin with, so I can't rightly call it a bad game.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

folgore posted:

I do wish there was more depth to the gameplay, it feels super shallow and samey after the absurd amount of time I put into it. But it got me to play way too much to begin with, so I can't rightly call it a bad game.

Sure you can, it's just a bad game that's also fun.

I play Warframe on and off. It just takes certain weapons or stuff to do like the codex to get me playing it for a few hours a day again. It's not like the gameplay has changed, it's still a fairly shallow FPS that manages to pull off the ninja thing well because of the parkour system, as fiddly as it is, and how melee weapons are on a button instead of being something you switch to. It helps that they've incorporated parkour into level design too. Some stuff like the Grineer galleon's vertical cylinder of doom are still terrible, but the circular room that involves you taking the long way up to get upstairs has easy shortcuts if you've got the speed and can do a simple vertical wallrun with a midair crouch-slide. Plenty of games have better shooting, there's other games that do melee combat (Or melee and shooting) well, and there's games that does parkouring better, but Warframe manages to combine them well enough. It's got that unique appeal going for it, as well as the aesthetics of things. Not every weapon or Warframe comes off perfectly but enough look great and you can make things look amazing with the right color schemes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chumbler posted:

^^^^ Oh I think cooldowns are a bad solution as well, but it's all I've got at the moment. I'd sooner just not have the boring room clear ults at all, but fat chance of that happening. And yeah, they'd definitely just add cooldown mods.

To be honest I don't really want them to give every frame insane Mag/Rhino buffs. If anything, Rhino, Mag, and Nova need to be brought way down. I'm of the probably not terribly popular opinion at least on their forums that allowing players to trivialize the game to that degree is really not a good thing. I'd put Volt, Vauban, Loki, Frost, and Saryn as more or less the standards for where frames should be, with cooldowns added to their ults to keep them as the Oh poo poo buttons they should be rather than just something you hit when you have 100 energy and there are more than 2 things in view. Honestly Nova would probably be pretty balanced as well if they just did that to her. A few of the others would need some toning down to get to that state and a few some tuning up, but it's not like there aren't good standards that you could point to that feel good to use without making the game boring. There's no point in playing a game where the content is trivially easy.

Edit: Actually Nyx isn't particularly well balanced either, so cross her off that list.

Frost is just as broken as Nyx is. Snow Globe is one of the most powerful abilities in the entire game and turns otherwise impossible or fatal situations into yawning cakewalks as an otherwise lethal horde of Grineer or Corpus rain billions of ineffectual shots off your magical force field. That one ability totally defines him and means he doesn't qualify as well balanced. Saryn's also not really well designed; Venom and Contagion are completely loving worthless, Moult is just a Decoy you can only spawn at your feet, and Miasma is simply a less effective bland screenwiper uber. Volt post-damage 2.0 is almost on par with Mag in terms of his utility and ability to blow up entire maps by waving his arms around and giggling, so he doesn't belong in the "well balanced" list either. I can agree wholeheartedly that Loki and Vauban are pretty much the two "winner" frames in terms of design. Both of them have a toolkit of powers that expand their options and give them ways to shift the battlefield in their favor without simply being more efficient and powerful ways to blow up the entire room in a second.

I'd argue that Mag isn't overpowered in her current incarnation. Crush is an excessively lame screenwiper uber that is effectively a flatly worse Rhino Stomp. Pull is a great utility crowd control power. Shield Polarize and Bullet Attractor are both niche utility abilities. Nothing here compares to Rhino Stomp or Nova's Molecular Prime, the latter of which is easily the most badly and brokenly designed ability they've ever put in the game. She's simply got four potentially useful abilities that put her a cut above most frames who almost universally do not. It actually says a lot that simply having four usable powers is enough to get people to think she's overpowered, come to think of it.

I mostly just want to see the poo poo warframes and powers made useful. It's loving liberating to play a frame knowing that you can find uses for all of your powers at some point instead of simply having to acknowledge that 25-75% of the stuff that makes your frame unique is useless filler and leaning on one or two buttons all the time.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 2, 2013

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Denzine posted:

SUPERNOVA

Whatever DE's doing with their Evolution Engine, something's going wrong with the draw order during aiming. You can actually see this all the way back in Dark Sector - if you check his LP, WeaponBoy shows it off, along with some weird model-to-world positioning when aiming down.

It seems that what's going on is that unaimed, you're viewing your in-world model that everyone else sees, so stuff getting in between the model and the camera is treated as it should be.
Once you are aiming, either your model's draw order priority is changed higher (or even highest), or your in-world model isn't rendered for you, and you are seeing instead the equivalent of an FPS first-person model, which has highest draw order priority so your aim isn't obstructed. Except in third person, this gives us the GIANT SPOCK effect.
I'm not exactly sure how other over-shoulder third person shooters do it, but I suspect they stick with the in-world model and simply bring the camera real close to prevent obstructions.

Gonna mess around in the Dojo to see what I can find out.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Fish Noise posted:

SUPERNOVA

Whatever DE's doing with their Evolution Engine, something's going wrong with the draw order during aiming. You can actually see this all the way back in Dark Sector - if you check his LP, WeaponBoy shows it off, along with some weird model-to-world positioning when aiming down.

It seems that what's going on is that unaimed, you're viewing your in-world model that everyone else sees, so stuff getting in between the model and the camera is treated as it should be.
Once you are aiming, either your model's draw order priority is changed higher (or even highest), or your in-world model isn't rendered for you, and you are seeing instead the equivalent of an FPS first-person model, which has highest draw order priority so your aim isn't obstructed. Except in third person, this gives us the GIANT SPOCK effect.
I'm not exactly sure how other over-shoulder third person shooters do it, but I suspect they stick with the in-world model and simply bring the camera real close to prevent obstructions.

This bug is something that appears in pretty much every modern third person shooter. As far as I can tell, it happens because when you aim, it zooms in and changes the field of view for the world, but your character stays unchanged (not sure why they do that, but they all do). There are plenty of things to complain about with the the Evolution Engine, but this isn't one of them, guys. Sorry.

Lork fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 2, 2013

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
For the people who don't understand what's overpowered about mag, it's that her pull does 300 base armor ignoring damage (up to 687 with the right mods) to everything in a 180ish degree arc up to a ludicrous range for as little as 7 energy with no cooldown. Her ult is not what people complain about (and most people I know don't even slot it). If her pull was reverted to how it was in it's previous incarnation I would be extremely happy personally, because I used her a lot back then and to great effect with certain group setups. As she is now she just isn't fun, pull is now 90% damage and 10% crowd control/enemy positioning, which is completely backwards from her design and what the ability is described as.

And the worst part is that the redesign made her two middle skills really useful, and mostly balanced, but who cares when there's no reason to use anything but pull to instantly kill the entire map.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AndroidHub posted:

For the people who don't understand what's overpowered about mag, it's that her pull does 300 base armor ignoring damage (up to 687 with the right mods) to everything in a 180ish degree arc up to a ludicrous range for as little as 7 energy with no cooldown. Her ult is not what people complain about (and most people I know don't even slot it). If her pull was reverted to how it was in it's previous incarnation I would be extremely happy personally, because I used her a lot back then and to great effect with certain group setups. As she is now she just isn't fun, pull is now 90% damage and 10% crowd control/enemy positioning, which is completely backwards from her design and what the ability is described as.

And the worst part is that the redesign made her two middle skills really useful, and mostly balanced, but who cares when there's no reason to use anything but pull to instantly kill the entire map.

Pull was a completely useless garbage skill prior to the change to its radius and how it pulls things; before it would yank a single enemy about three feet and stop immediately the instant they touched a half inch high bump in the floor. As it is now they could honestly remove the damage and leave everything else the same and it would be great. Even as it is now I find it largely useless for killing high level enemies. Yeah, you can spam it, but at <300 damage a shot(it's definitely not armor ignoring anymore, I have higher level grineer take <200 from mine even with max focus) it's going to take you a dozen pulls to actually kill anything level 30+. They won't be able to attack you while it's going on, sure, but you could kill them all a billion times faster with a gun.

Also Fleeting Expertise is the dumbest, most poorly thought out, ridiculously overpowered mod in the game and singlehandedly breaks any warframe with a spammable damage skill so they really need to remove it or change it fundamentally. Hell, they could band-aid fix it by making it reduce power strength instead of duration to at least partially mitigate the problem(though then you'd have things like infinite free snow globes and invisibility, but at least you wouldn't have 25 energy Rhino Stomp).

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Lork posted:

This bug is something that appears in pretty much every modern third person shooter. As far as I can tell, it happens because when you aim, it zooms in and changes the field of view for the world, but your character stays unchanged (not sure why they do that, but they all do). There are plenty of things to complain about with the the Evolution Engine, but this isn't one of them, guys. Sorry.
Field of View doesn't magically make your dude visible through a total obstruction that's still in the way when zoomed in. The GoW example is definitely a result of draw order, which is how things are layered in the camera's view, regardless of how they're physically arranged in the game space (for example, your HUD has the highest priority and top layer so that it's always visible). So while A Large Man is between Marcus and the camera, physically obstructing the view of Marcus normally, aiming increases Marcus' draw order priority, moving him up a layer so that he appears to be between the camera and A Large Man instead, even though this is not actually the case and he's still on the other side of A Large Man.

The Deus Ex example does not appear to be the same draw order issue (but draw order is still involved), as it's being triggered in a different way than the GoW example: Jensen is never moved to the other side of the guards from the camera. This is probably a result of FoV combined with how I suspect DXHR handles its third person mode.

Theoretically, the change in draw order is so that nothing is obstructing your sweet over-the-shoulder view when aiming, but in looking at various examples, I am thinking that it is an unnecessary solution that developers have latched onto since you're simply rearranging the obstructions within the view in a very incongruous manner. If your camera view is blocked, your camera view is blocked, and all that messing with the draw order is accomplishing is increasing the ridiculousness of how it looks.

Fish Noise posted:

Interesting.

After I finish walking through Arc in the video, I also aim at various other things. The draw order change naturally has an effect on level stuff - you can see it on the dueling room hologram and fog, lily pads, and water surfaces. I'm still not sure whether or not it's switching models, as colored lighting and reflections seem to stay consistent going into aim, but another effect - shading or distance fog, maybe - is altered.

Notably, DE appears to be attempting to find a solution. You may notice the textures on Arc's Valkyr sometimes turn mostly-transparent with a thin speckling of opaque bits, thus allowing unobstructed aiming while still indicating the model's position between my Ember and the camera. It doesn't actually work that great, since it only triggers in a small range of possible obstructing positions. If DE can get that working better, they can and should skip the draw order nonsense entirely (they should skip it anyways for the reason mentioned above, but this lets them feel accomplished about it).

The draw order thing certainly explains why I had some really weird misses in extremely close-quarters shooting when I had first started playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

There's really a poo poo ton of stuff in this game I'd love to see changed or removed that's been around drat near forever. I'm looking at you system drop table being thrown in with the boss drop tables. Also the pile of useless mods. Silent weapons, auto parry, more damage on executions, and drat near all the resistance mods just to scratch the tip. It's like they add in mods based around if Warframe was already perfect. I can see the ideas behind them, but the gameplay just does not back up the need for any of them. Yet for some reason it's like every new wave of mods has to have these poorly thought out mods that either end up being ridiculously overpowered or just complete garbage no one wants.

And of course the one useless skill per frame. I don't want to see them turned into super frames like the ones already mentioned. But for fucks sake super jump? You would think they could have thought of something a bit cooler for the frame they put on all their advertising.