Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wendell posted:

Once you're done the newly remade Ys IV, you can finally play the just released translation of Ys V on SNES! http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=ys5

YESSSSSSS

Furthermore, the translation for Ys IV was apparently updated: http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=ys4

e: at least according to http://agtp.romhack.net/news.php?filter=maj, don't see an updated update date on that page. Hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Wendell posted:

Once you're done the newly remade Ys IV, you can finally play the just released translation of Ys V on SNES! http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=ys5

Holy poo poo christmas came early.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Latte Lottie posted:

As long as they let him speak so he can defend himself when everyone calls him "Adol the Gray." :smith:

I'm very happy with Celceta so far, I need more time to play it! It looks like there's a lot more stuff to explore than in Ys7. The flash dodging is fun but it usually gets me killed instead of actually helping me. Nightmare mode isn't as scary anymore because you can carry as many healing items as you want. Not sure how I feel about that really.

Is the timing for flash guarding different than flash dodging? I feel like I've got blocking perfectly down to a T, but I don't know when I'm suppose to time dodging.

I'm kinda regretting starting on Nightmare, but I'll keep trucking until at least the next major boss, I think.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

Moldy Taxes posted:

Is the timing for flash guarding different than flash dodging? I feel like I've got blocking perfectly down to a T, but I don't know when I'm suppose to time dodging.

I'm kinda regretting starting on Nightmare, but I'll keep trucking until at least the next major boss, I think.

I think flash dodging has a much more strict timing. It makes sense because it's really strong. And yeah, Nightmare sure can have it's moments. I have to run back or forward to healing points a lot. Occasionally having to ignore enemies isn't fun but I like the difficult boss fights.

e: I actually don't use flash guard that much. It's useful for getting SP back but it's not like there's a rush for that. I'd rather just get out of the way and not lose all my health.

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 28, 2013

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In Ys vita, is Ozma the one who breaks the rocks on the road? Or is that a later party member. I just got to the point where I can use him outside of the Selray area.

edit: nope, its an artifact you get way later.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 29, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Just as an FYI, don't try and play Ys5 in ZSNES, it straight up crashes and resets during the ending. Or at least switch off it once you make your last save. I pushed through the ending in snes9x but the sound/graphics emulation were pretty poo poo in that.

Interesting one to play through, but the weakest in the series by far (not counting the original 3 anyway). Terrible magic system, terrible hit detection, terrible boss designs, and insanely easy. Never thought I'd play an Ys game where you can literally just jump and attack a boss without even bothering to dodge and kill it while still having your free revive item left. Didn't hate playing it or anything though, it was still fun at times and the music was generally still very good.

Oh and it's really short too, about 5 hours long. So the second shortest in the series by my timings.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Updated the OP with info about Ys 5 and Celceta. Also forgot to mention that the Ys games are all 50% off on Steam as part of the current sale.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Playing the Vita Ys, first one I'm really getting into since I always mean to start the Steam ones I bought and never do :v:

I'm enjoying the combat and running around a lot which is good because this game is like 90% combat and running around. The story... exists I guess. How do I level up/unlock my skills? I unlocked 2 skills at once so I'm pretty sure there's something I don't understand in there. Should I be trying to get Skill Finishes on everything? I do it anyway because it's super satisfying.

I just got the 3rd party member. Sometimes I think I should have started on Hard instead of Normal, but then I wander across a giant enemy that isn't even a boss that destroys me instantly.

I'm enjoying this! I understand it's not really typical of the Ys experience though, the other games don't really have much in the way of exploration right?

Edit: Also the reason I finally jumped in with this one is I just wanted a new JRPGish thing to play on the Vita and nothing else is close to coming out :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 1, 2013

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Unlocking skills is something I don't quite get. It seems to take into account a character's level, if they are fighting a higher level monster, and other random crap I don't understand. To level up skills you simply use them, you can see how much skill usage you need in the skill menu. Skill finishes are good because they refund SP it costs to use skills. You can actually get all your SP back if you skill finish a lot of enemies at once.

Celceta does have more exploration than the other games. Some Ys games have more, some less.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm enjoying the combat and running around a lot which is good because this game is like 90% combat and running around. The story... exists I guess.

That's basically how the Ys games work. Adol Christin is a cool dude who travels around, frequently suffers from amnesia, and slays grand world-threatening evils every other weekend. It's hard to have much on an overarching story when your hero is so very adept at beating up Monster Of The Week villains.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wanted to finish up Recettear before diving back in Celceta besides the first few hours I played on day 1. I somehow wound up picking everything but the right path in the forest and mapped out about 25% before finding the right area.

Is there any reason to hang onto materials from beasts or plants? Obviously any kind of ore can be refined and used on weapons, but it seems like plant/animal stuff can just be exchanged and then sold. I can't really remember how it worked in Ys Seven. E: Just found the second village where I can craft stuff, so I guess that answers that.

As for Ys V, the timing can't be a coincidence, can it? I'll definitely give it a look, although a part of me was hoping that was next on Falcom's remake list.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 1, 2013

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I ragequit Oath a few weeks ago, and almost didn't play Origins, which I decided to at least try before buying another Ys game (since it was on my Steam list already), and I'm glad I did because I'm liking it a little bit more than Oath from what I've played. And I realized my mistake with Oath was assuming the normal difficulty meant normal difficulty (so I'll give it another shot on easy after I'm done with Origins).

My question for this thread: I read that Celceta has a crafting/material system. Is it a bullshit slog, or do you more or less get enough materials just through normal play?

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Twitch posted:

My question for this thread: I read that Celceta has a crafting/material system. Is it a bullshit slog, or do you more or less get enough materials just through normal play?

You get pretty much everything you need by just playing normally. It's mostly about converting the large amount of crappy items that you get into materials that you need.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Latte Lottie posted:

You get pretty much everything you need by just playing normally. It's mostly about converting the large amount of crappy items that you get into materials that you need.

Awesome. Looking forward to playing it after I get caught up with the series.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I wanted to finish up Recettear before diving back in Celceta besides the first few hours I played on day 1. I somehow wound up picking everything but the right path in the forest and mapped out about 25% before finding the right area.

Is there any reason to hang onto materials from beasts or plants? Obviously any kind of ore can be refined and used on weapons, but it seems like plant/animal stuff can just be exchanged and then sold. I can't really remember how it worked in Ys Seven. E: Just found the second village where I can craft stuff, so I guess that answers that.

How far in are you? I got to an area that will craft accessories for you using that plant and animal stuff as soon as I got the 3rd party member so yeah I think you shouldn't sell most of it, even though the game tells you to sell the bones early on.

Dominic White posted:

That's basically how the Ys games work. Adol Christin is a cool dude who travels around, frequently suffers from amnesia, and slays grand world-threatening evils every other weekend. It's hard to have much on an overarching story when your hero is so very adept at beating up Monster Of The Week villains.

Yeah I don't mind because I wasn't really looking for a story heavy game, but I know it would turn off a lot of the usual JRPG crowd. The boss fights are incredibly fun, but after the first one destroyed me and I realized how the game was meant to be played I'm beating them on the first try as long as I use some healing potions and sort of wishing I played on Hard. Oh well, I'm sure later on I'll regret saying that.

Latte Lottie posted:

Unlocking skills is something I don't quite get. It seems to take into account a character's level, if they are fighting a higher level monster, and other random crap I don't understand. To level up skills you simply use them, you can see how much skill usage you need in the skill menu. Skill finishes are good because they refund SP it costs to use skills. You can actually get all your SP back if you skill finish a lot of enemies at once.

Celceta does have more exploration than the other games. Some Ys games have more, some less.

Yeah the game explains that Skill Finishes refund SP, but mentions that Excellent Kills give better drops so I thought maybe Skill Finishes did something else besides just refund SP.

This game really feels unique though, it's almost nostalgic how it throws you into this giant forest and tells you to figure poo poo out. I imagine at the rate they're going it'll end up on PC in a couple of years :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I mentioned in the Steam thread that I, uh, sort of got absorbed a little into Ys Origins. Ended up sitting in front of the TV for over eight hours straight playing that from beginning to end. Turns out I rather like this sort of game!

I imagine Oath in Felghana is more or less the same deal, just with the mainline characters instead, right? Worth playing if I liked Origins, I assume? Any significant gameplay differences?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^^^
I have not played Origin, but it is basically based on the same engine from what I hear.

This game really feels unique though, it's almost nostalgic how it throws you into this giant forest and tells you to figure poo poo out. I imagine at the rate they're going it'll end up on PC in a couple of years :v:

If I remember correctly, Falcom used to be a PC developer, until they lost their distributor, which forced them to develop for consoles (PSP/Vita in particular).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Unlucky7 posted:

If I remember correctly, Falcom used to be a PC developer, until they lost their distributor, which forced them to develop for consoles (PSP/Vita in particular).

It's not so much that, they still go back and put out new editions of Oath, Origins, etc for each new version of Windows. More that..well, handhelds was where the money was.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I mentioned in the Steam thread that I, uh, sort of got absorbed a little into Ys Origins. Ended up sitting in front of the TV for over eight hours straight playing that from beginning to end. Turns out I rather like this sort of game!

I imagine Oath in Felghana is more or less the same deal, just with the mainline characters instead, right? Worth playing if I liked Origins, I assume? Any significant gameplay differences?

Oath is the same engine, but is a little less polished than Origin. Adol and Yunica basically play the same, aside from certain magic attacks not working the same way. The main thing to remember about Oath is that it is harder than Origin and tends to require a bit more finesse to beat. I like Origin more, but a lot of people in this thread swear by Oath.

Bottom line is, if you liked Origin then you'll probably like Oath.

Unlucky7 posted:

Falcom stopped developing for PC because the PSP was mad popular in Japan. I can't speak for the Vita, but I assume it's the same way. It's not entirely impossible for Celceta to make it to the PC, unlike 7, but I wouldn't bet on it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ciaphas posted:

It's pretty much the same. You only play as Adol, it's harder than Origin (in my opinion), and the engine might feel slightly dated, but otherwise it really is pretty much the same as far as the gameplay goes.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

It seemed like I had to do more grinding in Oath because the bosses are significantly tougher. I think Origin had some things that were a bit more streamlined (in a good way), like weapon/armor upgrades & shops as well. One major difference is while Origin had a pretty linear progression up the tower, Oath is a bit more spread out. There's a sort of hub town where most of the story and character interaction happens, and then there's a bunch of spread out locations that each have their own theme to them, like Origin and the elements.

Overall I got pretty burnt out with Oath and all the grinding & story stuff involved, whereas I completely dug Origin, but your mileage may vary. Oath has some pretty wonderful butt rock in it, though, almost as much as Origin, and some good bosses here and there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh crud, I just read that there's more to Origins by beating it with more characters. Wwwelp, time to look up what I'm missing, 'cos I'm usually not one to play a game more than once.

Thanks for the info on Oath, I'll give it a look tomorrow.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Oh crud, I just read that there's more to Origins by beating it with more characters. Wwwelp, time to look up what I'm missing, 'cos I'm usually not one to play a game more than once.

You can easily skip Hugo. You will want to play third character, as he has some content not in either Yunica or Hugo's story and plays differently from either of them. In addition, his story is the canonical one, complete with the true final boss.

I need to finish my second run of Origin sometime. Never got around to doing that.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I felt playing as Hugo in Origin was pretty miserable and tedious, but the third character is a lot of fun to play, and the story is a bit different as each character.

The only reason I would recommend anyone play as Hugo is to see how much of a pompous poo poo he is, it's pretty hilarious.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Lance Streetman posted:

You can easily skip Hugo. You will want to play third character, as he has some content not in either Yunica or Hugo's story and plays differently from either of them. In addition, his story is the canonical one, complete with the true final boss.

I need to finish my second run of Origin sometime. Never got around to doing that.

I'm pretty proud of beating all three routes on Nightmare.

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

I loved every second of Origin while getting tired of Oath pretty early on. Are any of the other Ys games just room after room of hack-n-slash goodness? The new Vita one's caught my attention but there don't seem to be many impressions of it online yet.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

freeipods posted:

I loved every second of Origin while getting tired of Oath pretty early on. Are any of the other Ys games just room after room of hack-n-slash goodness? The new Vita one's caught my attention but there don't seem to be many impressions of it online yet.

Oath in Felghana's loving amazing, though. Did you at least get to the first dungeon (the mines)? If you did, there's rarely many interruptions after that.

All of the Ys games are room after room of destroying baddies, although I will say the intro to OiF is kind of long.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Hugo was great, especially his last meeting with Zava. :allears:

I still need to finish my run with the third character (nightmare, I stopped on the sand zone boss).

freeipods posted:

Oath is pretty much that though. Especially from the second dungeon on (if you're playing the game right that's about where you should be cursing at the rarity of save points).

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 2, 2013

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I was a big enough nerd to play as all three characters and even though Hugo was the least fun to fight as (it seemed to devolve into mashing attack as fast as possible and/or playing Bomberman with his bomb skill) I thought his plot was hilarious because or how much a loving prick he was to everyone.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 2, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

YF-23 posted:

Hugo was great, especially his last meeting with Zava. :allears:

I still need to finish my run with the third character (nightmare, I stopped on the sand zone boss).

Oath is pretty much that though. Especially from the second dungeon on (if you're playing the game right that's about where you should be cursing at the rarity of save points).

OH RIGHT Save points. gently caress. I like being able to save anywhere in Celceta. In Celceta the "save points" still fully heal you (can't heal over time inside a dungeon, just the overworld), and certain ones teleport to certain other ones. But you can save whenever.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Lance Streetman posted:

Beating the game on some number of routes also unlocks alt-gameplay modes for the characters (Hugo has his laser eyeballs in a column rather than row for instance) and two different versions of Adol playable in Time Attack and Arena. Unless the Steam version didn't include the add-on content for some reason.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

OH RIGHT Save points. gently caress. I like being able to save anywhere in Celceta. In Celceta the "save points" still fully heal you (can't heal over time inside a dungeon, just the overworld), and certain ones teleport to certain other ones. But you can save whenever.

If you haven't played Oath yet, you might just want to pick up the PSP version. The sparse save point issue is more or less fixed by the PSP version letting you reload at the beginning of the section you died in, and not reload from the last save. You can get it for Steam for cheaper, but if you want to do anything harder than Normal you'll probably get pissed off real fast.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Lance Streetman posted:

I thought you had to beat the story with Yunica and Hugo to unlock the third character? I recently started playing again as Hugo in order to do this :confused:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Originally, yes, but the US Steam release was changed so that you only need to beat Yunica or Hugo to unlock the third character.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Maybe I'll give it one more go as Three, then, since I have him unlocked. The bosses were the best part of that game (gently caress that sand zone boss though, first and only time I had to grind :argh:) so a new final boss sounds great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's worth it, that character is a lot of fun to play as and you get more content than either Hugo or Yunica.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

You're right about more fun, as it turns out.

Unfortunately, because I routinely make terrible life decisions, I went with Hard instead of Normal at the same time, and am now stuck as hell on the second major demon (the worm guy). I'd probably have an easier time if I grinded out a level, or took off that 'berserker' ring, but that's being a wuss!

Almost had it once, then it CTD'd right before the final blow :(

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Just popping by because I found an illustration of Adol from Ys 1 and holy poo poo.

I guess Adol the Brown would've sounded kinda stupid.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Lance Streetman posted:

Just popping by because I found an illustration of Adol from Ys 1 and holy poo poo.

I guess Adol the Brown would've sounded kinda stupid.

Great, now I can never unsee Adol as :madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side