Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Why does this keep happening? :smith: What's the secret to not being on the losing team every single match?

Part of what I try to do is looking at the ticket count before joining. Personally, if I see one team is losing by more than 200 tickets I look for another one. Otherwise there's really nothing to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Why does this keep happening? :smith: What's the secret to not being on the losing team every single match?

Swap to the winning team as often as possible instead of gutting it out/trying to win by yourself on a poo poo team. Or be like me/you and lose a bunch :unsmith:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Naturally Selected posted:

You're in luck. NFS Rivals is based off frostbite. Hadn't played it, and NFS hasn't been good since shift 2, but there you have it. The big brouhaha about FB lately has been that this version of it is actually pretty easy to work with, so EA will be moving a ton of their franchises to it.

Hey hey hey Hot Pursuit was a really great game. Shame that Criterion blanded up Most Wanted and Rivals is apparently somewhere in between the two except even less interested with terrible multiplayer.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Kibayasu posted:

Part of what I try to do is looking at the ticket count before joining. Personally, if I see one team is losing by more than 200 tickets I look for another one. Otherwise there's really nothing to be done.
Yeah, this. Also check the player list and see if your issue is that the server is a stomping ground for stacked clans.

And be sure to favorite servers that you'd experienced consistently close matches on.

Also try the Kentucky Fried Server! You can even mumble with fellow goons and possibly coordinate! Or at the very least you'll laugh a bit more while you lose. It's also the server I've seen the most comebacks on.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 2, 2013

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Kibayasu posted:

And while the MAA isn't as effective as the pre-nerf BF3 MAA, if you slap the 30mm cannon and Zuni rockets onto it it can still kill infantry right alongside the IFV's. I don't think I'll ever get used to using the 30mm as an AA cannon though, except against aircraft flying low and slow for some reason in which case you'll kill them nearly instantly, but otherwise its a pretty great anti-infantry tank. Really, even just Zuni rockets is enough for infantry and light AT work and you'll still be able to kill or force away any aircraft in your range with the 20mm.

Active radar missiles still seem pretty overpowered so I can't justify using anything else. It more than makes up for the 30mm being slightly less effective vs. aircraft, and the 30mm is all you need against infantry.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
A MAA with Zuni and 20M is probably my favorite vehicle, really fun to mow down infantry and it feels like you got to be more on your toes to avoid blowing up.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Totally TWISTED posted:

Swap to the winning team as often as possible instead of gutting it out/trying to win by yourself on a poo poo team. Or be like me/you and lose a bunch :unsmith:
What happened is two things: First, DICE changed the threshold for switching teams, in previous installments the other team had to be down by 1 player, now you can switch if they're as much as up 1 player, AND team switches are silent, so people sneak over to the winning team constantly and clan-stack like crazy.

Second, when you join a server, you get assigned to the team with fewer players, and usually the team with fewer players is the one that people are bailing out of because it's doing terribly, while the people on the winning team stick around for many rounds. Very few servers are running scramble mods right now.

Eventually, the churn from new players coming in and people on the winning team getting bored will even things out, followed by a mass exodus of people on the formerly-winning team the first time it loses and people realize their win streak has ended, but that takes a while. If you see one loss, expect many more.

Basically, if you hate being put on the losing team, then there are only really three options: Wait it out (for a long time), change servers, or do what everyone else is doing these days and make your own luck with the Switch Team button.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

folgore posted:

Active radar missiles still seem pretty overpowered so I can't justify using anything else. It more than makes up for the 30mm being slightly less effective vs. aircraft, and the 30mm is all you need against infantry.

Active radar are indeed pretty powerful (though DICE did reduce their damage a bit ago) but I started to really like roaming around with friendly tanks and infantry so Zuni's suit me better. The only thing the 20mm isn't effective against is a double engineer scout chopper, and if you're a good enough shot/close enough even then you'll be able to outpace the engineers when their repair tool cooldown hits. I still occasionally use the 30mm and active radar combo on maps like Dawnbreaker and Resort though, depending on how well the team I'm on is dealing with enemy armor; with Dawnbreaker's buildings you need to put as much hurt on choppers as quickly as possible and Resort is small enough that the 30mm's difficulty for hitting air targets doesn't matter.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

OneEightHundred posted:

What happened is two things: First, DICE changed the threshold for switching teams, in previous installments the other team had to be down by 1 player, now you can switch if they're as much as up 1 player, AND team switches are silent, so people sneak over to the winning team constantly and clan-stack like crazy.

Second, when you join a server, you get assigned to the team with fewer players, and usually the team with fewer players is the one that people are bailing out of because it's doing terribly, while the people on the winning team stick around for many rounds. Very few servers are running scramble mods right now.

Eventually, the churn from new players coming in and people on the winning team getting bored will even things out, followed by a mass exodus of people on the formerly-winning team the first time it loses and people realize their win streak has ended, but that takes a while. If you see one loss, expect many more.

Basically, if you hate being put on the losing team, then there are only really three options: Wait it out (for a long time), change servers, or do what everyone else is doing these days and make your own luck with the Switch Team button.

There are actually a decent amount of conquest servers with team balance enabled. No reason to play without it if you're solo, really.

e: unless team balance just balances numbers instead of scrambling every round, which it probably does. disregard this post

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Boogaleeboo posted:

I remember thinking when they talked about adding two sights to the guns "This sounds like stupid tactilol bullshit, why would I ever do this?".

That me was a moron. The ability to switch off from a scope to iron sights instantly is hilariously useful and fun.

I think I've killed more people within 50 feet using my canted iron sights on my sniper rifle than I ever have at 800 meters.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Mutation posted:

A MAA with Zuni and 20M is probably my favorite vehicle, really fun to mow down infantry and it feels like you got to be more on your toes to avoid blowing up.

The 30mm cannon does so much more damage against infantry, though. It's incredible how easy it is to get 40+ kills in Zavod 311 with it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

folgore posted:

There are actually a decent amount of conquest servers with team balance enabled. No reason to play without it if you're solo, really.

e: unless team balance just balances numbers instead of scrambling every round, which it probably does. disregard this post

It does it even goes for the lower scoring people so it really does nothing in the end.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

It does it even goes for the lower scoring people so it really does nothing in the end.
The BF3 mods usually used the person most recent team join (which included both team switchers and recent game joins), which actually worked pretty well, a hell of a lot better than death or low score swaps.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tensokuu posted:

Ran into my first aimbot last night. Join a TDM at the start and about two minutes in I start hearing the "game is ending" music start to play. Oh cool we're about to win, drat that was fast.

Chat's screaming about a hacker but pubbies are pubbies.

Teams are scrambled, next game begins. About 40 seconds in their team is up 50 kills and I glance at the scoreboard after being killed by the same person 4 times in a row. Guy is up 47/0 and I know he just killed me from across the map because I saw the killcam.

Just cut my losses and left but drat.
Link his profile, have people report him.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Ugh, anyone else being plagued by DirectX errors lately? I had a few problems with them at release then they stopped until just the last few days. Now it seems to be the only type of crash I get, but it's happening once every 3 rounds or so.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Gazaar posted:

Windows 8.1 is fine and takes a week of adjusting to some differences, don't be a baby.
I thought the same "I'll just stay away from Metro and get the more up-to-date OS, how bad can it be?" thing when I bought it over Win7, and I completely regret it. The Metro bullshit isn't content to stay to its little alternate universe because several things in the desktop space make it intrude (i.e. moving your mouse to the top edge or either of the right corners), a bunch of stock apps got moved to Metro apps that take over the entire screen (i.e. WMP, Word Viewer), and nothing improved UI-wise except the new Task Manager.

It's relentlessly annoying. Do not buy Win8 for BF4.

The big brouhaha about FB lately has been that this version of it is actually pretty easy to work with, so EA will be moving a ton of their franchises to it.
I don't know what it looks like since I don't work at EA, but I've always had a suspicion that the only reason Frostbite seems like the perfect game engine is because 100% of the info about it is coming from EA.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 2, 2013

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

OneEightHundred posted:

I thought the same "I'll just stay away from Metro and get the more up-to-date OS, how bad can it be?" thing when I bought it over Win7, and I completely regret it. The Metro bullshit isn't content to stay to its little alternate universe because several things in the desktop space make it intrude (i.e. moving your mouse to the top edge or either of the right corners), a bunch of stock apps got moved to Metro apps that take over the entire screen (i.e. WMP, Word Viewer), and nothing improved UI-wise except the new Task Manager.

I don't know what it looks like since I don't work at EA, but I've always had a suspicion that the only reason Frostbite seems like the perfect game engine is because 100% of the info about it is coming from EA.

You can turn off hot corners and charms and lol windows media player.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Just got this in the sale - Haven't really tried online play yet, but the tech demo that is the single player looks nice.

I wish the single player campaign's gameplay was a match for the production values... :sigh:

It's just a shooting gallery of shooty mcshootmans pretty much - the AI in these drat things never even slightly behaves like a real player much less a soldier using some actual tactics; or if they do, it's really crude. I'm getting sick of 'consolitus' infecting every game, but then again, this IS a battlefield game, so the barfy single player gameplay shouldn't even exist and is inherently tacked-on to begin with.

I miss the early days of games like ghost recon and the rainbow six series...granted, battlefield has always been a very arcade-y multiplayer-focused shooter, but c'mon - enough with the scripted bullshit and shooty mcshootmans shooting galleries. Let's see some attempt at putting together a 'serious' campaign for a challenging and engaging single player game that might actually improve one's multiplayer play ability instead of making them fall into terrible habits like standing in one area with tunnel vision.

No bugs yet, thankfully - and the game looks great in 144hz 1080p.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 2, 2013

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Kool MBT setup for slaughtering other ground vehicles: sabot, STAFF, autoloader

You can fire the main cannon then switch to the STAFF and fire it off almost immediately. Other tanks and IFVs will lose really fast 1v1. Sabot can be replaced with HE, but it's so much easier to shoot down helicopters with the former.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
As if a game would get anyone upgrading to windows 8, what a laugh

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OneEightHundred posted:

Was in that camp, then switched to 8.1 (NOT 8) and I can't be happier. Everything you've complained about gets turned off in about 5 seconds, there's a ton of little touches that required tons of fuckery to work in win7 (split wallpapers on multiple monitors. only took them 20 years to figure it out), and loving no one uses WMP except for you. My grandma that barely knows what a mouse is uses VLC/Plex because WMP is that bad.

As for the engine, there's lots of good stuff in it that you can actually see, since, you know, BF4 and such. Also the fact that money-grubbing EA actually went to the effort to make it a flagship engine instead of keeping it a :dice: only thing.

eKKo
Jan 11, 2013
Are there any tips for trying to fix (at least remedy) the crashing between every single map change? Really frustrating :argh:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I don't have any regular gaming buddies so I usually just try to be friends with random squads.

Why don't they stick around for me to repair? :(

eKKo
Jan 11, 2013

WastedJoker posted:

I don't have any regular gaming buddies so I usually just try to be friends with random squads.

Yeah, i've had that too. I don't think tank drivers realise they are getting reps when poo poo is going down. It needs to be made more obvious imo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

My main problem as engy is never finding ammo crates. It gets to the point that it is quicker to commit suicide and respawn than it is running around with my pistol out hoping to shoot an enemy engy.

Having a good commander is a god send though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

eKKo posted:

Yeah, i've had that too. I don't think tank drivers realise they are getting reps when poo poo is going down. It needs to be made more obvious imo.

I think its a combination of terrible players and the new critical hit system. In BF3 when you were disabled, you were also basically stuck until you reached 100% health again. In BF4, you're only disabled for a few seconds until you're at really, really low health. So terrible players see they can move at full speed again and drive off without a care in the world despite being at 30 health. A good system marred by bad players.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

So I was downloading BF4, which was taking about ~30 hours because I have a bad connection, and I suddenly lost power. When I turned my computer back on and checked Origin, it seemed as if all of the download progress had disappeared. Is there some way for me to make the game check for its local files like there is with Steam, or am I completely boned?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ankle posted:

So I was downloading BF4, which was taking about ~30 hours because I have a bad connection, and I suddenly lost power. When I turned my computer back on and checked Origin, it seemed as if all of the download progress had disappeared. Is there some way for me to make the game check for its local files like there is with Steam, or am I completely boned?

If you click download again, it'll first check for what it already has acquired. Unless things get all whacked out, it should detect whatever you have.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

If you click download again, it'll first check for what it already has acquired. Unless things get all whacked out, it should detect whatever you have.

Yeah I did, it's telling me I have 0/24.7 gigs.

eKKo
Jan 11, 2013

ankle posted:

Sounds like you're boned because :Origin:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Wasn't the UN talking about making internet access a human right, or something? Having to live in conditions where you need 30+ hours to download battlefield obviously can't qualify as a crime against humanity, but it has to at least be a serious transgression

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ankle posted:

Do you have friends in the neighbourhood who play BF4?
1. Go over to them with an external drive and copy their Origin/Battlefield 4 folder.
2. Go home, start the origin download. Wait 30 seconds, stop it and exit origin.
3. Go to your Origin installation, delete the folder Origin/Battlefield 4 (only the folder "Battelfield 4" not "Origin").
4. Copy your friend's Battlefield 4 folder into your Origin folder.
5. Run Origin again and start the DL. It will check the files, then jumpt to 100% and start the installation.

Pro Tip: Keep the files on the external drive as backup if your BF4 ever acts up.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oops, wrong thread gents.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 2, 2013

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Well I contacted Origin support and they threw up their hands and told me to get better internet. Whelp. Thanks for all the advice anyway guys.

vv Yeah that's what I did.

ankle fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 2, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ankle posted:

I have terrible internet and just ordered the hard copy from amazon. Someone got a refund a few pages back so you could try that.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Anyone else lose their "save data" occasionally and have to reconfigure vehicle set ups? For some reason my "save data" doesn't affect my infantry weapons.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

I chuckle whenever someone joins the server I'm in and is promptly kicked with a global PB ban for hacking. I yell JUSTICE! at the top of my lungs.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I used to think it was on my server as well but I think the message is broadcasted globally.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

Hopper posted:

Do you have friends in the neighbourhood who play BF4?
1. Go over to them with an external drive and copy their Origin/Battlefield 4 folder.
2. Go home, start the origin download. Wait 30 seconds, stop it and exit origin.
3. Go to your Origin installation, delete the folder Origin/Battlefield 4 (only the folder "Battelfield 4" not "Origin").
4. Copy your friend's Battlefield 4 folder into your Origin folder.
5. Run Origin again and start the DL. It will check the files, then jumpt to 100% and start the installation.

Pro Tip: Keep the files on the external drive as backup if your BF4 ever acts up.
It's not this complicated at all. All you need to do is transfer the files into the Origin Games folder and then start the download. I keep every Steam and Origin game I own on a 2 TB drive and this works perfectly every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah ok I thought you had to start the download first. At least that's how I was told to do it with my own files when I had to reinstall due to PB issues.

• Locked thread