Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ogive posted:

Here is The Long Dark http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hinterlandgames/the-long-dark-a-first-person-post-disaster-surviva. I worked with one of the founders for quite a few years, and everyone on the team is "decade or more" game developer veterans. The game is basically about scary poo poo in the Canadian north.

Thanks for the link! If you hadn't posted, I probably would have missed it. Sandbox Survival Game is definitely the kind of game I'm interested in. If end up with $20 to invest in the next 2 weeks, I'll probably donate. If not, I'll probably give $5 or so to support it, and keep updated on how the game is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Crossposting from the Creative Convention kickstarter page. A friend and former classmate of mine has been working on this for a while now, and their kickstarter just made the Staff Picks today!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1726726347/the-miira-view-frame?ref=recommended

In the CC thread, I posted:

In so many words, it's an artist tool to assist with perspective, foreshortening, proportions, etc. and is somewhat focused with the classroom in mind (the other half behind the duo is a local art teacher). The designer is top notch and does awesome work, and they've also been working on a pretty interesting app with similar functions.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

Catalina posted:

Thanks for the link! If you hadn't posted, I probably would have missed it. Sandbox Survival Game is definitely the kind of game I'm interested in. If end up with $20 to invest in the next 2 weeks, I'll probably donate. If not, I'll probably give $5 or so to support it, and keep updated on how the game is going.

Yeah, survival in the north is pretty fascinating. I've kind of toyed with the "lost in the wilderness" idea in my spare time; however, these guys are actually putting it together. And they can probably pull it off.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Nelvana of the Northern Lights is Canada's first superheroine, originally published in 1941 and running as a feature for 31 issues in addition to merchandise and a graphic novel. She's part of Canada's Golden Age of comics and even predates Wonder Woman by a few months. Despite all that, her comics have never been reprinted until now. The women behind the Kickstarter project have exclusive rights to reprint it and are pretty close to their goal, so it's pretty much a sure thing at this point. They're offering a single issue comic, a digital print, a softcover print, and a hardcover print of the comics, only the last of which they'll charge shipping outside of Canada for (the hardcover also has a limited quantity of 100). It seems like a pretty cool project, especially for fans of early comics or the history of women in comics.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
So a little while ago, a character artist for Adventure Time named Natasha Allegri made her own short called Bee and Puppycat. A lot of people liked it, so they have now made a kickstarter to make Bee and Puppycat a full series. It's pretty awesome, and I think it could work well as a series.

Bee and Puppycat: The Series Kickstarter

And in case you haven't seen the short, you should definitely give it a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOG_UtLxh58

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

So a little while ago, a character artist for Adventure Time named Natasha Allegri made her own short called Bee and Puppycat. A lot of people liked it, so they have now made a kickstarter to make Bee and Puppycat a full series. It's pretty awesome, and I think it could work well as a series.

Bee and Puppycat: The Series Kickstarter

And in case you haven't seen the short, you should definitely give it a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOG_UtLxh58

A bit more than 90 minutes later, they are already 10% funded. It's an awesome cartoon after all.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Help Produce Songs of Blind Willie Johnson

Tom Waits, Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi, Sinead O'Connor and others want to make a tribute album featuring the songs of Blind Willie Johnson. Some cool backer rewards, including playable handmade cigar box guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5-ExAhQ2G4

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Cyan, the makers of Myst and Riven are making an all new game and IP called Obduction and are turning to kickstarter to make it happen. It looks like it'll be the same sort of gameplay style and feel as Myst, world exploring and all that. Check it out!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
a couple of local ones I'm participating in, they're both from friends or friends of friends.

awesome, well-designed dog packs, collars and leashes
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keepitclean/bravery-loyalty-goods

awesome, well-designed ceramic cups and mugs
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/791851600/ceramic-drinking-vessels

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Cross posting this from the Creative Convention page as well.

My friend and former co-worker Steve went re-indie to go and make this project that has long been noodling in his brain, SCALE. It's currently the kickstarter project of the day, and is getting a pretty incredible response.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1188957169/scale?ref=home_spotlight

I'd encourage you all to check out the trailer and consider supporting the project. Having played and worked a bit with the early prototypes, I can tell you its mind-bending in a way I haven't experienced since Portal, and shares all of the same incredible potential.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This is from a kickstarter that has already seen completion:

http://www.ainste.com/

This was a kickstarter for wallets. I recently received my "fold" wallet, and I have to say it's definitely worth what I paid for it. It's one of those minimalist wallets with RFID blocking, but this one is actually a reasonable size. I'm able to put 6 credit card sized things in it along with cash and a big fuckoff RFID tag for my office (in the one flap that has no RFID protection), and it ends up the same size as my old wallet with nothing in it. Something really interesting about these wallets, to me, is that they use both sides of the material, so there's no defined inside and outside. You fold it in whatever way is comfortable, or you can get one of the non-folding wallets if you prefer. I'll definitely be picking up the travel wallet thing for my passport next time I travel out of the country.

Oh, and it's made of saffiano leather so it looks neat

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate

What looks to be a hugely ambitious space sci-fi RPG with spaceship combat like Freelancer (but with ships not spacefighters) that also let you walk around your ship, board enemy ships and defend your own from boarders in an isometric view like what you'd find in Shadowrun Returns.
Story-wise it's basically Tsarist Russia in space 1500 years in the future having colonized the entire galaxy.

I love setting, the artstyle on their concept art, sci-fi, space combat games, and RPGs, so if they actually turn this into something playable it's basically my dream game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

99% Invisible is a phenomenal podcast about design and architecture. I'm not even sure where to begin with good episodes, but I was really entranced by the Heyoon episode for some reason. But really, if you have even a casual interest in the subject, it's definitely worth a listen, and Roman Mars's voice has this sort of calming quality about it, despite his metal as hell name.

Anyway, their Kickstarter is up with some pretty snazzy rewards.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dropsy's back. It's about 33% funded less than a day in, so it's looking good.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

LegendaryFrog posted:

Cross posting this from the Creative Convention page as well.

My friend and former co-worker Steve went re-indie to go and make this project that has long been noodling in his brain, SCALE. It's currently the kickstarter project of the day, and is getting a pretty incredible response.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1188957169/scale?ref=home_spotlight

I'd encourage you all to check out the trailer and consider supporting the project. Having played and worked a bit with the early prototypes, I can tell you its mind-bending in a way I haven't experienced since Portal, and shares all of the same incredible potential.

Any game where you can travel through what appears to be a rhinoceros's butthole is worthy of my money.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

ultrafilter posted:

Thanks for posting. :) The SA thread is HERE if anyone wants to follow it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ultrafilter posted:

Has Gaspy even actually finished a Dropsy thread here?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Elendil004 posted:

Has Gaspy even actually finished a Dropsy thread here?

:shrug: I finished the first one, but that was before I was working on this game. I usually just start feeling bad that I'm not putting all that work towards the actual game and abandon them.

EDIT: I am gonna finish the current Wild West one. I even made a minigame for it already! I've just gotta get over this initial hump of working my butt off to promote the KS.

Gaspy Conana has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Oct 24, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Gaspy Conana posted:

:shrug: I finished the first one, but that was before I was working on this game. I usually just start feeling bad that I'm not putting all that work towards the actual game and abandon them.

EDIT: I am gonna finish the current Wild West one. I even made a minigame for it already! I've just gotta get over this initial hump of working my butt off to promote the KS.

You got mentioned on RPS. Congratulations!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/25/dropsy-is-an-adorable-grotesque-open-world-adventure/

HK5000
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Bubblegum Crisis is getting a HD remaster and Blu-Ray release. Day two and they're already halfway to the $75,000 goal so this is going to be a thing. For those who've never seen it - I'm no crazy Anime fan but this series is incredible and you should really check it out sometime. Check out the link if you like for a preview of the cleaned up scenes in all their lovely HD cyberpunk goodness.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If only Bubblegum Crisis didn't bore me to tears.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I'm making Pirate World, and I put it on kickstarter yesterday. It got fully funded in the first day! I'm so drat excited.

quote:

:yarr: Pirate World! :yarr:

Here's the Kickstarter

I am SO EXCITED.

Here's what comes in the hardback, 180 page book with full page colour illustrations by a couple of awesome goons:

7+ classes. 6 completely new and one fan favourite: THE BRUTE! Each class has a third page too, filled with death moves, magic items, designer notes and space for describing your character in more depth.
tons of new races, from festering amphibs to massive crustaceans, and wonderful takes on the current races (soviet style dwarves, gunpowder-addicted goblins, volcano cultist lizardmen)
20+ BACKGROUNDS: a whole new system to customise your character from level 1 onwards. Now you're not just a Brute; you're a Brute Cultist, or a Necromantic Brute, or, perhaps scariest of all, a Cannibal Brute!
Beautiful illustrations+; both full page (Joseph Irizarry) and inset (Jonathan Choby). You can get a print of Joseph Irizarry's illustration separately, and they're stunning!
HIRELINGS: a total overhaul to the Dungeon World style. Hirelings are now unique creatures, with their own moves, personalities and styles. The book has a massive section on hirelings, and you can get your own character included!
LUNCHEON WORLD: A guide to streamlining Dungeon World so you can eat it over a sandwich, or play it online
And tons more+, including ship fighting, island discovery, brutal combat...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Help raise money to study conditions and diseases which occur in the brain (anxiety, depression, eating and sleeping disorders, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, stroke, etc..) and you can name the virus!!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

The Supreme Court posted:

I'm making Pirate World, and I put it on kickstarter yesterday. It got fully funded in the first day! I'm so drat excited.

FATE, you say? I'm in.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HK5000 posted:

Bubblegum Crisis is getting a HD remaster and Blu-Ray release. Day two and they're already halfway to the $75,000 goal so this is going to be a thing. For those who've never seen it - I'm no crazy Anime fan but this series is incredible and you should really check it out sometime. Check out the link if you like for a preview of the cleaned up scenes in all their lovely HD cyberpunk goodness.

I was going to wait until one of the previous things I've kickstarted actually got me something before I funded something else, but there's no way I can turn down a Blu-Ray of Bubblegum Crisis.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Crossposting from Traditional Games:

Countblanc posted:

Sirlin just released his Kickstarter for Pandante, a weird semi-casual semi-competitive betting game that sounds pretty neat!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/pandante

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/pandante-reboot

The bad news is that Sirlin is absolutely dreadful at selling his own product, in my opinion. He's really awkward on camera and makes it sound much nerdier than I think the game would be in actual play.

The good news is that Rodney Smith from WatchItPlayed was kind enough to put up a video detailing the game, and he does a much better job making you actually want it, so watch this instead of Sirlin's video at the top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2m9HutQUT8&t=700s

I know Sirlin gets some mixed reviews in this thread and elsewhere ("patching" a board game is definitely a weird concept for many), but one thing I like about this project is that it's a designer's take on refining an understood and popular game. This certainly isn't the first time that's been done, but it's still neat and I hope his kickstarter is successful so I can give it a whirl.

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I actually have a beta copy of this from the expo he held. It's pretty fun once you get your head around the bluffing mechanics.

Countblanc posted:

Remember that kickstarter I posted about a month or so ago about pandas playing poker? Well it's back, with a much more reasonable pricing scheme and a better, more transparent kickstarter page!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/pandante-reboot

Sirlin posted:

• The deluxe version with chips is way cheaper than before.
  • The standard version is $5 off MSRP on Kickstarter.
  • There’s also a travel version.
There are some bonus cards that are exclusive to Kickstarter backers now in the stretch goals. And most notably, there are stretch goals to get the Panda and G.Panda Yomi decks FREE (with the deluxe set). It’s actually unreasonably generous by usual standards given how low the deluxe set is now and how much those Yomi decks cost ($30 last time).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Renders of physical goods (i.e. in lieu of photos) are forbidden on kickstarter :ssh:

e: Love the idea behind the game though.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Some friends of mine are working on a 3d platformer in the mold of the Rare N64 classics.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lefthanded/lobodestroyo-3d-action-platformer-game?ref=live

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The heroquest kickstarter got yanked due to IP issues, not sure what the deal was :(

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Elendil004 posted:

The heroquest kickstarter got yanked due to IP issues, not sure what the deal was :(

This shouldn't be a surprise, it's run by people that have a tenuous connection to the game in Spain only.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Elendil004 posted:

Back in the early nineties or late eighties or whatever the gently caress, Sierra made a series of adventure game/RPG hybrids. It was originally going to be called Hero's Quest, in line with the King's Quest and Space Quest series. Turned out there was some existing IP that already used that name, so they changed it to Quest for Glory. I don't know what that other IP was, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we were dealing with the same one.

Edit: ...he says, boldly posting without refreshing the page or reading back farther to get context.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ravendas posted:

This shouldn't be a surprise, it's run by people that have a tenuous connection to the game in Spain only.

It's a current trademark to an RPG: http://www.glorantha.com/product/heroquest-core-rules/ The main site has a blog entry with more background about what happened from their perspective, which is protecting their trademark.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I don't give a poo poo who makes it, I want to throw a hundred dollars at something and have HeroQuest appear. Why can't I make that happen.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Elendil004 posted:

I don't give a poo poo who makes it, I want to throw a hundred dollars at something and have HeroQuest appear. Why can't I make that happen.

I just glanced at eBay, there's a buy it now option for $120 and plenty of auctions for much less than $100 ending today. I think you could make this happen if you wanted.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

I have the original hero quest board game with all the little minatures, props and cards. I've been trying to throw money at people to take this loving thing and nobody will. If anything, it pleases me to know that I might be able to hawk it off now.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Coffee nerd thing for a coffee nerd.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

1) Jesus, leave that poo poo for a couple days after roasting, show some respect for yourself and the coffee. If you're in that much of a hurry go to Starbucks.
2) "Their overwhelming feedback gave us the confidence to go viral." gently caress you, that is not what viral means.

sub supau has a new favorite as of 11:53 on Dec 2, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

1) Jesus, leave that poo poo for a couple days after roasting, show some respect for yourself and the coffee. If you're in that much of a hurry go to Starbucks.
2) "Their overwhelming feedback gave us the confidence to go viral." gently caress you, that is not what viral means.

I know this won't make nearly as good coffee as my Keurig.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Duck and Cover posted:

I know this won't make nearly as good coffee as my Keurig.

Are you intentionally baiting coffee nerds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlosDanger
Jul 25, 2013

by T. Finninho
Clyde Petersen is the musician behind the band Your Heart Breaks and the director of several music videos by bands like The Thermals and Deerhoof and Kimya Dawson. He's doing a Kickstarter to raise funding for his first animated feature film. Clyde's done some animating and stuff for his web series "Boating with Clyde" which was funded through another Kickstarter project. This one is raising money to produce a feature length animated film based on the true life story that was the basis for the song "Torrey Pines" which features Kimya Dawson and is on the Your Heart Breaks album "Love is a Long, Dark Road (Love Is All You'll Need)"

There's 6 days left and this one is cutting it close so check out the video and see if it seems like something you'd want to see. Clyde's one of the greatest artists and most creative people I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I pledged a lot of money because I really want to see this movie get made:

Torrey Pines: An animated film about Schizophrenia

• Locked thread