Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
If that's all you do to it, no. If you then want to overclock it, you don't *need* to, but it's a really good idea to either fit custom cooling or to wait for a semicustom card (like an Asus DirectCU II).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Holy gently caress I just realized that you can get 4x Sapphire R9-290 BF editions for less than a grand with the special that newegg business is/was running. I bet that would burn a house downspank SLId 780 Ti's for 2/3rds the cost (and 2x the Crossfire issues).

deimos fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 30, 2013

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Damnit, I wish I had've known that before I spent almost half of that to get one. That's insane. Wasn't someone (uhh, or was it you, deimos?) mentioning recently that practically anyone can easily sign up for a Newegg business membership as well?

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Factory Factory posted:

VRAM isn't heatsinked in reference and semicustom cooled cards, is it? Just cooled by airflow through the heatsink generally. I think the 92mm fan would go a long way to accomplishing the same thing.

Do you mean non-reference, because the RAM is generally heatsinked in reference cards (at least it is on the 290) and even some non reference. If so, I suppose so, but I'd just prefer to not turn it into a 3 slot card. That, and I'm not sure how well said bracket would cool both sets of VRMs. It's not so much the RAM I'm worried about as it is the VRMs.

I think I have heatsinks in mind now though, but I'm still debating on whether or not to pull the trigger on them and the Antec 620. The heatsinks are some Cosmos heatsinks which appear to be some generic brand based in Hong Kong, so the quality might be questionable. I already plan on getting some Sekisui tape to mount any heatsinks I get, so any adhesive included with won't be a concern.

I'm also considering going back to the Gelid instead of "The Mod" due to it being less expensive and including heatsinks, but slapping on an AIO for little more than the Xtreme III I originally had is just so tempting.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Rahu X posted:

Do you mean non-reference, because the RAM is generally heatsinked in reference cards (at least it is on the 290) and even some non reference. If so, I suppose so, but I'd just prefer to not turn it into a 3 slot card. That, and I'm not sure how well said bracket would cool both sets of VRMs. It's not so much the RAM I'm worried about as it is the VRMs.

I think I have heatsinks in mind now though, but I'm still debating on whether or not to pull the trigger on them and the Antec 620. The heatsinks are some Cosmos heatsinks which appear to be some generic brand based in Hong Kong, so the quality might be questionable. I already plan on getting some Sekisui tape to mount any heatsinks I get, so any adhesive included with won't be a concern.

I'm also considering going back to the Gelid instead of "The Mod" due to it being less expensive and including heatsinks, but slapping on an AIO for little more than the Xtreme III I originally had is just so tempting.

To help you with "The Mod", I have two 620 kits (one NIB) and some knock off VRM copper heatsinks I am not using. Would you be interested?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

nrr posted:

Damnit, I wish I had've known that before I spent almost half of that to get one. That's insane. Wasn't someone (uhh, or was it you, deimos?) mentioning recently that practically anyone can easily sign up for a Newegg business membership as well?

Not me, I remember the same post but didn't think much of the whole offer until I realized a group buy of those things would've been killer. ~$320 for a possible 290X and a free copy of BF4 to sell for $20? Yes please. A $300 card that can compete with the GTX780.:pcgaming::getin::pcgaming:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Quick driver question. I was looking through windirstat and saw an AMD folder with a bunch of old drivers.

Is this just where the catalyst.exe extracts everything? So, I'd be safe to delete if so correct?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is this just where the catalyst.exe extracts everything? So, I'd be safe to delete if so correct?

Yes and yes.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
If I'd known that my incoming Powercolor 290 would be sitting in a town 2 hours away for a week, I'd have driven there to pick it up. :mad:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

GokieKS posted:

Yes and yes.

Cool, thanks.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I bought an Asus 7870 GHz edition on Newegg for ~140 after rebates. I am upgrading from the geforce 9800 gtx+ I bought in 2008.

Is there anything I should know about this thing or its drivers before I install it?

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

jink posted:

To help you with "The Mod", I have two 620 kits (one NIB) and some knock off VRM copper heatsinks I am not using. Would you be interested?

Name a price and/or feel free to shoot me a PM with the details, and I'll decide from there.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 1, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Is there a similar program to nvidia inspector for AMD cards? I quite liked having better control over my drivers.

Also, how does this tessellation option work? Is it just for games that already have it or can you force it on older games that can support it kinda like nvidia's ambient occlusion options?

I actually kinda miss the ambient occlusion options.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

I bought an Asus 7870 GHz edition on Newegg for ~140 after rebates. I am upgrading from the geforce 9800 gtx+ I bought in 2008.

Is there anything I should know about this thing or its drivers before I install it?

1. Remove old card.
2. Driver Fusion the old drivers
2a. Optionally reboot into onboard video if you have it or boot into new card.
3. Driver Fusion the old drivers and reboot
4. Install new Drivers
5. Reboot

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

deimos posted:

Not me, I remember the same post but didn't think much of the whole offer until I realized a group buy of those things would've been killer. ~$320 for a possible 290X and a free copy of BF4 to sell for $20? Yes please. A $300 card that can compete with the GTX780.:pcgaming::getin::pcgaming:

If someone wanted to put together a group buy I'm guessing there would be more than enough interest.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I'm running a Geforce GTX 580 and am definitely feeling the need to upgrade at this point. This card has done me very well for the past few years but Assassin's Creed 4 and Battlefield 4 are starting to push it. I would like to pick up a 780 but haven't seen any deals and 300-450 is looking at the max I can really afford for a card at this point. That being the case I am probably going to get a GTX 770 but have no clue what really separates a good card from another. There are tons of reviews and tons of different options.

Is this a pretty good option for a 770 for someone who is really needing to upgrade?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130921

329 when all is said and done. I would like to get a 780 but unless there are some really amazing deals coming up I haven't seen them.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Just to check a 780ti will run a 1440p monitor with pretty much everything maxed fine at 60fps right?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I wouldn't call it a solid sixty, but it's as close as you'll get for this generation and a single card.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I think I'm being CPU limited since I'm running my 3570k at stock (3.4/3.8 turbo) and apparently I should be getting 64fps average at 1080p very high in Crysis 3 but I'm getting closer to 50 average with some dips under that when it gets nuts, it will go above 50 it's just not really maintaining that. I don't have a chipset that allows overclocking either.

Total bummer.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Sorry but I burned through like 200 posts in the past few days, did I read that we can't use a secondary Nvidia card as dedicated PhysX anymore? Sure I remember reading something like that, as I just stumbled upon the card an hour ago. Currently running a 7950, but I do miss the PhysX effects :(

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
No. The hack that allowed users to use both an AMD card (like the Radeon HD 7950 Boost) with a NVIDIA card for PhysX (like the GTX 560 Ti Boost) is not well maintained any more. The alternative is maintained; use at your own risk.

Of course, earlier I may have overstated the fact that developers were specifically blocking Hybrid PhysX.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

GrizzlyCow posted:

No. The hack that allowed users to use both an AMD card (like the Radeon HD 7950 Boost) with a NVIDIA card for PhysX (like the GTX 560 Ti Boost) is not well maintained any more. The alternative is maintained; use at your own risk.

Of course, earlier I may have overstated the fact that developers were specifically blocking Hybrid PhysX.

Yeah gently caress that, I'll just go for a GTX in a few months, only reason i got this is because it was a pricing error with 3 free games. Cheers :)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

cat doter posted:

I think I'm being CPU limited since I'm running my 3570k at stock (3.4/3.8 turbo) and apparently I should be getting 64fps average at 1080p very high in Crysis 3 but I'm getting closer to 50 average with some dips under that when it gets nuts, it will go above 50 it's just not really maintaining that. I don't have a chipset that allows overclocking either.

Total bummer.

Hmm, didn't think a 3570K would ever be limiting at just 1080p...

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Hmm, didn't think a 3570K would ever be limiting at just 1080p...

Probably, I downloaded 3dmark just to be sure and it seems to be performing within expectations (seems I only score 1000 less in firestrike than a 4770k and titan system? noice) so perhaps I was just expecting more than I should have.

Although I would like to overclock sometime, I should probably get a motherboard that can before they disappear.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Schiavona posted:

If someone wanted to put together a group buy I'm guessing there would be more than enough interest.

*raises paw*

What's the deal with crossfire, do you need 2 of the exact same card down to the brand and revision, or does it just have to be two of the same model and brand doesn't matter?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
With AMD, it just has to be two vaguely similar cards. You can CF much anything in Hybrid CrossFire, but best results are CrossFireX with same-family (e.g. 290 + 290X) or, better still, same card type (290 + 290). Any differences in VRAM or whatnot go to lowest common denominator, but clock and core differences persist (but with frame pacing, it might as well slow the faster card).

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Great, I was toying with the idea of getting another 290 when the 4k monitor prices become reasonable. Wasn't sure if I got lucky with a 290 that I can unlock into a 290X would mean that I'd need another 290X to crossfire. That works beautifully then if I end up going that route. Do you think it'd be worth it to crossfire my 290 with my old 6950 at all in the meantime? I didn't realize that would be possible but I guess it's better than just letting it sit in a box for a while. Would a card that old even be worth reselling?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

nrr posted:

Great, I was toying with the idea of getting another 290 when the 4k monitor prices become reasonable. Wasn't sure if I got lucky with a 290 that I can unlock into a 290X would mean that I'd need another 290X to crossfire. That works beautifully then if I end up going that route. Do you think it'd be worth it to crossfire my 290 with my old 6950 at all in the meantime? I didn't realize that would be possible but I guess it's better than just letting it sit in a box for a while. Would a card that old even be worth reselling?

290 is GCN-based, and the 6950 is VLIW4. You can't CrossFire those. I should clarify (because I got it slightly wrong), that Hybrid CrossFire lets you CF any card with the integrated graphics of an APU. It's generally not a good idea - too big a difference in power between the card and the IGP, and it all just slows down as the fast card waits on the slow IGP.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

290 is GCN-based, and the 6950 is VLIW4. You can't CrossFire those. I should clarify (because I got it slightly wrong), that Hybrid CrossFire lets you CF any card with the integrated graphics of an APU. It's generally not a good idea - too big a difference in power between the card and the IGP, and it all just slows down as the fast card waits on the slow IGP.

Yeah, that makes sense, I didn't think that sounded kosher. Well, if anyone is interested in a 6950, feel free to send me a pm and make me an offer.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I just installed a Radeon 7970 in my PC and when I play a game I get these lines across the screen - lines of lesser and greater brightness. They don't obscure the game but they're a little distracting. They only appear when I play a 3D game like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty. When I'm browsing the web I get no problems.

My monitor uses a VGA-to-DVI adapter (blue-to-white). It operates at 60Hz.

When I use Linux, I have a different problem. The games do not display the lines of varying brightness, but they run VERY slowly. Unplayably slow.

The problem in Windows sounds like a bad connection (try a different VGA-DVI adapter, or better yet a different monitor). The problem in Linux sounds like you haven't re-compiled X or the graphics driver. ATI cards used to have a poo poo reputation for linux support. It's parts of the reason that I've never owned a card from them. That was before AMD bought them, and back when X was a unified package instead of dozens of smaller packages, so I don't know if that's still the case.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mobby_6kl posted:

Sadly, while a 6200LE can render Windows solitaire, it chokes badly on 1080p video, or pretty much any video in windows media player, for that matter.

Speaking of which, are Nvidia's drivers incapable of dealing with two cards of different generations? When I put in the 650 Ti BOOST, I moved the old card to the second slot. It then looked that the latest drivers installed fine, but after restarting, the card appeared as "not working properly" and any attempts to reinstall the drivers failed completely. Only pulling the old card, booting into safe mode and running driver sweeper allowed the new drivers to be installed properly.

Which tools are used nowadays for monitoring and overclockig Nvidia cars? I used to use Riva Tuner for this, but it seems like it hasn't been updated in years :(

Old post, but yea- If you installed the latest drivers for a 650ti, they don't support an ancient 6200LE (Jesus how old is that card now, 10, 11 years?) The most recent drivers that support that series of GPUs are the 300s, and I think we're on 331.something.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/57491

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I currently have an ASUS Radeon HD 6950 DirectCU II 810MHZ 2GB 5GHZ GDDR5 that I'm selling to a friend that is upgrading his computer.

What would be a good upgrade for me for around ~$350 +/- $50?

Current CPU is an i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz, MSI P67A-GD80 motherboard and 16GB of ram and my monitor's native resolution is 2560x1440.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Secx posted:

I currently have an ASUS Radeon HD 6950 DirectCU II 810MHZ 2GB 5GHZ GDDR5 that I'm selling to a friend that is upgrading his computer.

What would be a good upgrade for me for around ~$350 +/- $50?

Current CPU is an i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz, MSI P67A-GD80 motherboard and 16GB of ram and my monitor's native resolution is 2560x1440.

If you don't mind the potential sound issues (everyone's different, and depending on your case it may not bother you at all) and/or would be willing to do a custom cooling setup later, a Radeon R9-290 (non-X) would by-far be the best choice for 1440p at the $400, upper-end of your price range.

Otherwise, go with either a Radeon R9-280X (re-badged version of the 7970/Ghz Edition, so if you can find either of those cheaper go for it), or a 4GB GeForce 770 (which is definitely not the best when it comes to price:performance currently). Either of these latter two options could allow you to pick up a second and do Crossfire or SLI later on and ultimately yield very good performance at 1440p, with the caveat of all of the initial issues Crossfire and SLI tend to have when a new game comes out.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I can report that so far I haven't found my reference 290 irritatingly loud. You'll hear it, but it hasn't been a 'oh Visnu I can't play this game because it's too loud' loud by any means.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I picked up a 770 a week or so back, and while I love the performance I'm getting out of it I'm worried I made a mistake getting a 2GB edition. I can do EVGA's step up program to a 3GB 780 for around ~150 or a 780TI for ~250. Both could be doable, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I want to hold on to this card for at least 2 years.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 2, 2013

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I picked up a 770 a week or so back, and while I love the performance I'm getting out of it I'm worried I made a mistake getting a 2GB edition. I can do EVGA's step up program to a 3GB 780 for around ~150 or a 780TI for ~250. Both could be doable, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I want to hold on to this card for at least 2 years.

The 4GB PNY 770 is still in stock at NewEgg for $370 after $30 rebate. If you only got the card a week ago, what about just returning it and getting the PNY?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

What resolution are you playing at?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

fookolt posted:

What resolution are you playing at?

1080P

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So I figured out this weekend that I do not in fact have enough radiators in my machine for what I'm guessing is nearly 900W of heat at full tilt. 3750k at 4.5ghz and the 2 flashed 290(X) cards at loving stock clocks. If I leave my fans low enough that I can't hear them, I drat near boil the water in the loop. So it's time to upgrade to a MM Ascension and add 2 more radiators. Oh the things we do for silent computers.

Also, Saints Row 4 is loving awesome in eyefinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

As far as I know, you aren't going to be hitting that 2GB limit any time soon in a meaningful way at 1080p.