Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Super Jump is pretty much the laziest power in the world yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

How far can you go with the boltor and braton with damage 2.0? My braton can carve up quite a bit of the content but I doubt it can handle enemies past level 34 or so. Currently it has serration, shred, multishot coupled with blast+poison.

I could use a forma but I just used my first one on my rhino and jesus christ are they serious? Hats off to people releveling the same drat thing four to six times. Man.

Fake edit: would a rhino with that braton of mine be decent enough for level 2 tower missions? With a group of course.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Mindblast posted:

How far can you go with the boltor and braton with damage 2.0? My braton can carve up quite a bit of the content but I doubt it can handle enemies past level 34 or so. Currently it has serration, shred, multishot coupled with blast+poison.

I could use a forma but I just used my first one on my rhino and jesus christ are they serious? Hats off to people releveling the same drat thing four to six times. Man.

Fake edit: would a rhino with that braton of mine be decent enough for level 2 tower missions? With a group of course.

I ran through a bunch of tower 2 exterminates just fine with a unpotato'd, level 16, Dera on a Rhino. As long as you abuse the gently caress out of stomp and roar whenever you feel your gun isn't cutting it you'll be fine.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Rhino is probably the second easiest frame to level behind Nova. Just run Xini or any of the other usual mobdefs a few times, you'll be back up to 30 in no time thanks to Roar + Stomp.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The most useless mod is the one that reduces the shield penalty for an icy mission variant. Aren't mission variants unpredictable?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
About the draw priority chat - how did you guys happen to notice this? Maybe I don't aim a lot or something, but I've put well over 200 hours into this game and have never noticed the effect you're demonstrating (although I can certainly see what you're talking about when you show it off).

nacon
May 7, 2005

Vauban: incredibly useful on mob def/def/survival... not so much on any other mission. Though, the stasis ability is really nice for captures, and some assassinations.

Leveling weapons back up with the Vauban has to be one of the fastest processes of all time, though. All those Cyath runs let me 30-out most of my original weapons, finally. And all I had to do was press "4"!

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Denzine posted:

Super Jump is pretty much the laziest power in the world yeah.

I said ages ago that they should just add the ability to charge up jumps and give Excalbur an actually legitimate skill instead of Super Jump, which is amazingly fun but utterly pointless.

I mean seriously, wouldn't it be really cool to be able to jump 10 meters into the air with every Warframe?

"But then you wouldn't need parkour!"

Well you basically don't need it now, either! It gives you some shortcuts but hell, maybe someone will figure out some way to combine charged-jumps, parkour, and Zorencoptering to do some really crazy stunts.

And honestly, the emergent craziness is half of what makes Warframe fun.

TinfoilHate
Nov 19, 2003

What the hell is wrong
with you people?

MJ12 posted:

Well you basically don't need it now, either! It gives you some shortcuts but hell, maybe someone will figure out some way to combine charged-jumps, parkour, and Zorencoptering to do some really crazy stunts.
Valkyr's ripline has made me so lazy. It's easy to just loving yank yourself up to whatever ledge/grate/etc. you want to go up to rather than run.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I love the super jump kick in combination with slash. You can fly across half a level. I think that his Javelin could use a boost.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Honestly, I'm not really sure anything they add to the game at this point could make the stunts more game-breaking. You can already Zorencopter across a room or perform some really buggy and dumb parkour to zip across the room like a maniac, and some frames can just straight up teleport.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think they could afford to make more of the generic levels more parkour or vertically oriented, like the Orokin ones.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When did they buff the cameras? It can take three or four shots from my Brakk to kill one now!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Eurogamer review in:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-02-warframe-review
Some complaints are weird (no cover system) and others are spot-on (bosses being boring).

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
What are your strategies in killing Phorid? Thankfully I managed to get Nyx in 6 runs, although I failed 3 times. Phorid just crushed my frame either from afar or by melee. Most of the fights I managed to win is because someone brought a Valkyr and wailed at Phorid the whole time while the rest of us pumped him full of bullets. There's one time where he bugged and won't stop ragdolling so we were slow-roasting him with Ignis for a long while. There's one time where I managed to solo him with the bazooka, where I jumped back and forth between two platforms to keep some distance between us then his AI bugged and he just stood there so I plinked away at him, with the bazooka, until he died, probably out of depression.

He's armor type, right? Is Puncture weapon best on him or something else?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So what should I be doing with duplicate mods? What's the deal with this combine function that accepts 4 of them? I've been hesitant to waste credits on it so far.

Also, does it matter what order I apply common/uncommon/rare fusion cores to mods? Or do they add the same amount of upgrading regardless, so none is wasted until it gets maxed out?

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Jackal tricked me into thinking the bosses would be more interesting than they were. I haven't explored all the planets, but most of them seem to be regular enemies with more health/armor. I agree that the game feels a lot like PSO, but the boss battles are one of the many places where Warframe falls short in comparison.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I've done the 'Lua' Mobile Defense mission in the Earth system 7 times now with pubs and not a single group has managed to successfully defend the warframe cryopod. :suicide:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I took a break to play other stuff and figured I'd wait until U11 came out for PS4.

Has it yet?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Feenix posted:

I took a break to play other stuff and figured I'd wait until U11 came out for PS4.

Has it yet?

It's in certification now so soon. There's lots of reasoms to play before u11 though: easier to farm stalker, easier exp, etc.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

Fruit Chewy posted:

I've done the 'Lua' Mobile Defense mission in the Earth system 7 times now with pubs and not a single group has managed to successfully defend the warframe cryopod. :suicide:

This one is awful with pubbies. I ended up soloing it with a rhino. Do that.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Doji Sekushi posted:

I suppose I should put together a rhino at some point. I've been rolling along with excalibur and a braton that I got with my welfare ps4 credits so far but I'm interested in crafting poo poo and I have 2/3 of the rhino blueprints.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 2, 2013

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
After doing some research, I realized that the Thunderbolt bow mod I have been farming for is actually very bad. So, having fallen in love with bows on my Vauban, my farming efforts will now be directed towards Paris Prime. So let's do large amount of tower missions tonight, PS4 guys. Pretty please.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Doji Sekushi posted:

But I need to get past Lua to get to the system with the control modules (E:? Or possibly the thing for the helmets. One of the critical ingredients.) to build the Rhino... (I also spent a lot of this weekend bouncing off that level.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Broniki posted:

Jackal tricked me into thinking the bosses would be more interesting than they were. I haven't explored all the planets, but most of them seem to be regular enemies with more health/armor. I agree that the game feels a lot like PSO, but the boss battles are one of the many places where Warframe falls short in comparison.

They've slowly been revamping the various bosses so that they're more than a big version of a regular dude.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Devor posted:

So what should I be doing with duplicate mods? What's the deal with this combine function that accepts 4 of them? I've been hesitant to waste credits on it so far.

Also, does it matter what order I apply common/uncommon/rare fusion cores to mods? Or do they add the same amount of upgrading regardless, so none is wasted until it gets maxed out?
Transmuting is gambling with 4 mods you don't need/want to possibly (maybe, probably not) get one that you do. Unless you've been playing for ages and have a gazillion mods and millions of credits to throw around, I probably wouldn't bother.

Fusion is how you upgrade mods. Pick the mod you want to upgrade, click the fusion button, and slam fusion cores/duplicate mods in there.

In order of most to least efficient:

1. Unranked duplicate mods, for example fusing Redirection into another Redirection.
2. Fusion cores and mods of the same polarity.
3. Mods of dissimilar polarity.

If you're just fusing duplicates, it takes 2^x mods to reach the next rank, where x is the mod's current rank. So going from 2 to 3 would take 4 unranked duplicate mods, while going from 9-10 would take 512 duplicates. Obviously, there's a point where fusion cores are desirable simply from a practicality standpoint.

The only time order matters is if you're nearing the max rank of a mod and want to make sure you get the most bang for your buck in terms of efficiency. In that case, you may want to switch to your common fusion cores or whatever random lovely mods you have a ton of (hello, Fast Hands) to fill out that last little sliver of progress.

Doji Sekushi posted:

After doing some research, I realized that the Thunderbolt bow mod I have been farming for is actually very bad.
It'll get a little better when you get U11, but it still isn't super amazing or anything.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Improbable Lobster posted:

They've slowly been revamping the various bosses so that they're more than a big version of a regular dude.

There's variants like:

Dude that has a shield sometimes, and then he bugs out and becomes invincible

or

Dude that summons fire and then he bugs out and becomes invincible

Variety is the spice of life!

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Thranguy posted:

But I need to get past Lua to get to the system with the control modules (E:? Or possibly the thing for the helmets. One of the critical ingredients.) to build the Rhino... (I also spent a lot of this weekend bouncing off that level.)

Yeah it seems like Jupiter has the neural sensors and then Europa has the control module, both gated behind Lua.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Broniki posted:

It's really bizarre how Jackal, their first real boss, is probably the best designed in practice. At least his pseudo-invulnerability phases are actively controllable by the player(I guess Vor qualifies too, come to think of it). The rest of their boss revamps are mostly boring jerk-off fests while you hide and wait for the boss to go through his AI cycles until he does the thing that lets you shoot him for two seconds before repeating the process 3-4 times until he dies.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Also, the most nonsensical part of the game has got to be this puzzle

I mean, that's solved. The point is to form a continuous circuit, and you have. But you still have to rotate the X in the middle because no reason. I don't get why this hasn't been fixed.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

hooah posted:

About the draw priority chat - how did you guys happen to notice this? Maybe I don't aim a lot or something, but I've put well over 200 hours into this game and have never noticed the effect you're demonstrating (although I can certainly see what you're talking about when you show it off).
I knew about "some sort of aiming weirdness" in Dark Sector because of the LP, and GIANT SPOCK in general because of the birgirpall video. In Warframe, though, I only noticed an occasional tendency to shoot past an enemy I was aiming at when up reeeeal close to them when I first started playing, which I soon dismissed and adjusted for after a while (stopped aiming at point blank ranges).
I noticed GIANT SPOCK in Warframe while I was idling on top of the dojo trade tower so people could trade without being interrupted, and came back to see that someone else had climbed up and was crowding my spot. Pressed aim to turn around and suddenly "...wait a minute." Even then, I only pieced together yesterday that all of these things are being caused by draw order.

So it's definitely something most people probably don't come across in regular gameplay, but oh boy once you see it, here comes the "GIANT RHINO CARRIES PUNY EMBER" jokes. I am legitimately impressed that DE is trying to do something about it, though, even if it doesn't work so well yet.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Doji Sekushi posted:

After doing some research, I realized that the Thunderbolt bow mod I have been farming for is actually very bad. So, having fallen in love with bows on my Vauban, my farming efforts will now be directed towards Paris Prime. So let's do large amount of tower missions tonight, PS4 guys. Pretty please.

I'm back from the holidays on my stable connection and have plenty of keys. We can farm the hell out of void tonight.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

I thought that was a decent review, tho I didn't understand his complaints about a lack of a cover system. I was expecting maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10, and not the 4/10 he gave it. I've not played the PS4 version tho. Maybe the controls are more clunky so the intended pace of the game doesn't come off as well as it does on PC.

One of the comments stuck out to me, "It's, well a passable game, I've cranked about 500 hours into it."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ We all hate this game but can't stop playing it because it's basically progress quest. I am at 11 mastery and still build new guns and swords even though I have no reason at all to do so.

Kanos posted:

It's really bizarre how Jackal, their first real boss, is probably the best designed in practice. At least his pseudo-invulnerability phases are actively controllable by the player(I guess Vor qualifies too, come to think of it). The rest of their boss revamps are mostly boring jerk-off fests while you hide and wait for the boss to go through his AI cycles until he does the thing that lets you shoot him for two seconds before repeating the process 3-4 times until he dies.

Jackal is only well designed by comparison to the normal-enemy-but-with-more-hit-points bosses. It isn't remotely threatening even before the fact that it can be effectively stunlocked pretty trivially with halfway decent weapons. It also has the usual corpus boss problem of it being unclear when you're actually damaging it. I get the feeling that in a lot of cases people's opinion of "good boss design" amounts to the boss being little more than a loot pinata made out of wet newspaper.

Most of the redesigned or new bosses are fundamentally sound designs that could be pretty easily fixed to be an actual encounter without being frustrating. The biggest problem most have is that they just make you wait a long time without being real threats. Lech Kril is completely unthreatening but takes an age to use his attack that leaves him open, which he has to do way too many times. They need to either up the frequency of that attack or decrease the number of hoses he has, and give him some actually dangerous attacks like maybe a freezing torid or something. Vor needs to summon mooks that don't die instantly while he's shielded, he needs to not randomly stop taking damage (probably a bug, I hope), and again have more threatening attacks. Leviathan or whatever it's called in the derelict just flat out needs less health or longer vulnerability periods. There are too many times when its parts look like they should take damage but don't.

I honestly think they did a good job with Ruk's redesign, though that opinion could be influenced in large part by how hilarious it is to watch pubbies blow all their ammo on him and then try to melee him, and his great taunts. He's reasonably threatening, there are clear and fairly frequent times when you can damage him, it's clear where to shoot him, mook spawns are used appropriately, and when done right you can down him in probably 3 clips of one person's gun.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Fish Noise posted:

I knew about "some sort of aiming weirdness" in Dark Sector because of the LP, and GIANT SPOCK in general because of the birgirpall video. In Warframe, though, I only noticed an occasional tendency to shoot past an enemy I was aiming at when up reeeeal close to them when I first started playing, which I soon dismissed and adjusted for after a while (stopped aiming at point blank ranges).

Yeah, point-blank aiming is really skewed and is exacerbated by projectile weapons. I was leveling my Cestra and when my gun was basically in a dude's chest the bolts would go whizzing past. It's less noticeable with hitscan weapons but it's there; you still miss, but you can't actually watch the projectiles not hit the target.

Dapper Man posted:

One of the comments stuck out to me, "It's, well a passable game, I've cranked about 500 hours into it."

Warframe works because it's simple and not terribly difficult. It's great for abnegation-type gameplay because you don't have to think at all. Turn the corner, shoot the grineer, rinse repeat. The enemy AI never really requires you to do much to compensate. Compare that to a more involved FPS (especiall PvP ones) like Battlefield and there's just way more going on. Warframe is videogame empty calories.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Lawlicaust posted:

I'm back from the holidays on my stable connection and have plenty of keys. We can farm the hell out of void tonight.

I also have Many Keys and am down for this.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

Thranguy posted:

If you're on PS4 we can take you through a survival or something, you'll get all the mats super quick. If you're on PC, I'm sure there are tons more goons with tons more stuff around.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Dapper Man posted:

A quarter of my posts in the last thread were probably just bitching and moaning about the game but I'm at 377 hours. As stated by others, it's just fluff. Also, see thread title.

4/10 is reasonable. This game needs a lot of work and the devs are constantly making bad decisions.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

amuayse posted:

Eurogamer review in:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-02-warframe-review
Some complaints are weird (no cover system) and others are spot-on (bosses being boring).
The remark about enemy AI seems odd since on the PC it seems pretty good. I can't tell if they work together since I'm so good at the game I kill them so fast, but it's not terrible. They take cover, if you flank them and fire on them they'll turn to fire at you and so will some of their buddies, if you get too close they may try to melee you or try to run off while shooting at you.

I think to make the game better they should be thinking of the game as a Diablo clone since it's already part of the way there. You run through tons of mindless monsters and pick up loot, in this case mods, and grind your way to getting slightly better mods so you can kill more powerful monsters. It's already a step ahead of Diablo 3 with random levels. The game really needs more tilesets and more stuff in each tileset too.

It is nice to see a PC port butchered on the consoles since us PC folk get it the other way all the time.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:siren: Forma Alert! :siren:

There is an alert right now on Mars that includes a forma blueprint! One hour, twenty minutes left.