Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

This BF4 thread is for console players (of either hardware generation). If you are a master race mouse clicker, you probably want to be in the PC thread instead. Feel free to post in either, but please leave platform supremacy flamewar bullshit out of both. Yes, we know that we are playing inferior versions. Some people spend all day at work on a PC and just prefer to unwind with couches and TVs instead. You are also welcome to use our stats site (see first FAQ below), which has been retooled to accept PC players as a tribute to our dearly departed BF3 brothers who have since fled to your ranks.

You probably already know that this is a game about shooting mans, etc. So we’ll skip that level of information and use this OP to answer those questions which continue to be axed frequently.

:siren: Custom console servers are finally available. The list of goon-controlled servers can be found in the 2P. :siren:

How do I find goons to play with slash look at some Internet numbers?
Please don’t make a whole post that just says, “I’m playing now if anyone is interested.” We have a system here for organizing goon games. First, register yourself at battlefieldgoons.com. Your stats will be pulled from the API at the excellent Dominik Herbst site, bf4stats.com, and added to our goon database. Next, go back to the front page and set the platform filter to your console and the sort to either hours played or last seen. Send friend requests to some of the top dudes. The friends list size limits have been raised in both new consoles. This effectively eliminates the need for metatags, and so they have been retired. Apologies to any inconvenience caused to 360 players, but there are probably few enough of you that you can all just friend each other under the cap anyway. After you have friended everyone you can use the new Battlelog integration to join games. Theoretically you can also join the party chat, but those systems are hopefully being revised as they are fairly lousy right now on both new systems.

Are there any Battlelog platoons for goons?
Yes, apply within: Xboners | PS4ce | 360 Xbros

Why aren’t my stats updating?
Please see this note about stat updates while we are still in the early phase of the game’s life cycle. Hopefully this will be resolved by P-Stats soon!

What counts as a “humiliation kill”?
Why did I disappear off the site?
What makes me an AK5C whore?
(…and other stats site related questions)
The answers to many stats site related FAQs change slightly from time to time so rather than try to maintain them here, I have answered them programmatically in the site documentation instead. Please check there before asking a question about the stats site in this thread.

How do my friends and I join a game together?
You can’t! :dice: No really, that is not presently possible. One of you will just have to find a server with some space and then bring everyone else in. There is some integration with Xbone parties (not sure about PS4; help here) that will prompt your dudes to join you. But it is basically a pain in the rear end right now. Here’s hoping for a fix.

How do I gain access to all the guns and stuff?
Ranking up no longer unlocks new weapons. Each class now has a bound weapon category, and then there are additional all kit categories unlocked through kit progression. The only way to get a new weapon in a given category is to score points (kills, assists) with another weapon in that category. This is painfully true of sidearms as well. Beyond this there are some more weapon unlocks bound to assignment completion (particularly the ones that come with DLC map packs). So far there aren’t any dumb Gun Club, promotional, or marketing tie-in unlocks for BF4. But unfortunately, you have to play the loving campaign this time.

Campaign unlocks:
  • M412 REX (pistol): complete Baku (first mission)
  • Shank (knife): complete Kunlun Mountains (prison mission)
  • Machete (knife): complete Tashgar (next mission after that)
  • QBZ-95-1 (assault rifle): don’t make the final choice (just let it sit there)
  • P90 (personal defense weapon): choose to sacrifice the person on the left during the final choice
  • M249 (light machine gun): choose to sacrifice the person on the right during the final choice

OK, I have them all; now which one’s the best?
The weapon balance overall feels much better this time. So whichever weapon you’re holding, play its role. LMGs are for suppression this time; for serious. Shotguns are for CQB, etc. If you have to know all the stats though, Symthic has you covered. They also have easy to understand pros and cons for attachments for those confused by the astounding array of gun parts in those shiny gold suitcases. You could also check out our kill breakdown to get a sense of the goon consensus (just bear in mind that some weapons are less used because not everyone has them unlocked). Don’t get too attached to those top few kill getters though. Invariably anything that starts getting a lot of attention will be nerfed.

I keep losing firefights; is it because I have the wrong gun?
It’s probably because you thought you’d start your MLG pro training and disabled auto aim in the options. Turn that back on. It’s hella broken right now. Everyone else is using it, and you’re only hurting yourself if you don’t use it to keep up. Maybe DICE will “tone it down” a bit in a future patch so that you can go back to being a pro dual analog stick aim king. (Hint: go play on PC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPOzbJxkEpI

That didn’t help, what else should I do?
While analog stick aiming will never rival mouse aiming, there are still ways to improve its precision. Many players you are facing have taken to cranking their sensitivity up as high as they can stand it to allow for quicker aim movements. To help control this you can equip your right thumbstick with a commercial extender. By increasing the length of the “lever” you can translate larger thumb movements into smaller input variations and tame the targeting reticle on higher sensitivity settings. If you’d like to try this but are unsure which product to acquire, this OP recommends the FPS Ultra by KontrolFreek.

What does Premium get me?
Most importantly you get all the expansion packs for less than what you would pay individually, and you get them all early. If you know up front you will be in for all the maps, go ahead and get Premium. In addition to that you get one gold battlepack each month, double the emblem layers, and access to exclusive customization items. The only exclusive “weapons” you get with Premium are melee skins like the carbon fiber knife, which behave the same as all the other knives but are tracked separately on the stats server this time around.

What’s a battlepack?
Since you no longer unlock anything for ranking up, they came up with a new rank up reward. It’s essentially a random loot pull that containing mostly cosmetic customization pieces. The only good thing you can really get out of them is an XP boost. These stack with double XP weekends and can really help in unlocking your way past the crummy starting weapons. Until rank 30 you will find only 25% and 50% boosts, but after that you can pull 100% and even 200% boosts.

How do I use an XP boost?
After you find an XP boost in a battlepack you then have to activate it before gaining the multiplier, and in true :dice: fashion, this is somewhat hidden. Once you are in a multiplayer match, hit the “start” button (or whatever dumbass thing it’s called now) to bring up the options menu. There is no menu item here for using boosts, but if you look under all the menu items there is a context-sensitive button for using boosts ((X) button on Xbone). You can then choose which of your boosts you want to activate or see how much time you have left on it. Each boost lasts an hour and starting a new one before the previous one finishes will trash the balance of the first one (i.e. they don’t stack).

How do field upgrades work?
This system represents a bit of a departure from the squad specialization system piloted in BF3. First of all, you choose the perks that you want for you without worrying about what the other members of your squad have selected. No need to worry about wastefully doubling up this time around. Each set you can choose contains four ordered perks. As your squad works together to earn squad points by doing things like following orders or healing/resupplying squad members (note: not just team members) a bar will fill above your list of squad members. As it passes each hash mark you earn another of the perks in your chosen set. Your Commander can also bump you up a whole notch with his “promote squad” action. If your squad is wiped, your entire field upgrade score is lost (bar is emptied) and must be built back up from scratch. This supposedly will incent players not to lone wolf it in private squads or run away from their squad members, but pubbies go’n do what pubbies go’n do.

I never played BF2 on PC; what’s this Commander mode all about?
Commander mode is a way to grind battlepacks when you have a tablet but not a console at hand, such as when you are pooping at work. It is piss easy to rack up a ton of points as a commander, but they only count toward your general rank in terms of unlocks (so just ’packs). Oh, and also you can actually help your team’s winning chance substantially, particularly if the enemy team has no commander. In this mode, you can call in UAVs and EMP UAVs (shield your team from being spotted) near constantly. Less frequently you can promote squads as described above, drop supply crates on enemy wookiees, give a squad the brief ability to quick respawn, or call in a vehicle from heaven near a stranded friendly in the woods. And depending on the map and which points your team currently controls you can also do stuff like scan for enemy vehicles, call in an AI-piloted AC-130 gunship, or launch cruise missile strikes that take at least a hundred years to hit the ground.

Cruise missiles do have their uses!

Should I follow the Commander’s orders then?
Yes, actually. But unfortunately you have to actually bring up the commorose and choose “Accept Order”. Simply relaying the orders to your squad by looking at the point you were ordered to take and tapping spot won’t count as accepting the orders. Why? Why because :dice:, of course! Haven’t you been paying attention? It’s always because DICE. As Duck says,

deadwing posted:

Followed squad orders also pump the field upgrade bar up extremely fast. Attack/defend orders are so much more important in this game than they were in BC2/BF3. Always be placing squad orders. Always.
:omarcomin:

What does this “skill” rating mean, and how is it calculated?
I don’t loving know anymore. They appear to have changed this substantially from BF3 to BF4. If anyone finds any official explanation of BF4 skill ratings, please PM me.

Where in the menus do I set my awesome clan tag?
You can’t find it in the in-game menus because it’s still not in there. The only way to set a clan tag (i.e. make [LLJK] appear before your name on the scoreboard) is through EA’s Battlelog site.

Where in the menus do I set this new emblem thing? Can you make one for me?
This is also accomplished exclusively through Battlelog. You can copy others’ emblems there as well, if they are on your friends list. Or you can use a browser hack to get them from the goon emblem archive (instructions at the top on how to capture or set from the browser console), kindly provided by Alehks from the PC crew. There is a public repository at emblemsbf.com that might have what you want as well. By the way, you need Premium to use most of those, as it gives you 40 layers to work with (as opposed to only 20 for poors).

Why not recreate your favorite SA smilie or logo from some other franchise?

Where in the menus do I set my loadout when I’m not in a game?
Oh yeah, you can’t do that either. I know, right? DICE. The good news on this is that you can set your loadout at any time using either the Battlelog website or the phone/tablet apps for iOS/Android, which are surprisingly decent. If you really want to use the in-game menus to set them, you can load up the test range map. You can also use the tablet app to open battlepacks mid-game (but not the phone versions of the app… because DICE).

Where in the menus can I find the scoreboard while in a game?
You actually can do this, and without even going into a menu! Just hold down the, um… I’m just going to keep calling it the start button… for a few seconds. This will pop up the scoreboard as a transparent overlay for as long as you continue to hold the start button.

If I’m new to this franchise, what tips and strats would you suggest I keep in mind?
  • Don’t Be a Lone Wolf – Teamwork is essential to excel at this game so stick with your squad and work together (read on for specifics, but they all boil down to this).
  • Use your Spot/Comms Button – This has been moved to the right bumper / R1 button to make way for the super rad dedicated Battlelog™ button. Spotting enemy infantry and vehicle positions is supremely useful to your team. In softcore, it is way easier to shoot at a Dorito® of Death than a prone bush-dweller. And commorosing friendlies for rides and ammo is decent non-verbal communication for basic needs as well.
  • Use your D-pad – You will quickly unlock team support items like ammo boxes and medkits. Always have one of these in play behind good cover. In this game it is possible to take the MVP ribbon without firing a round by simply getting into a good support mindset.
  • Flank – Don’t throw yourself repeatedly into the meat grinder up the middle. Sneak around the fringes with your squad and hit multiple means of ingress simultaneously. Once you reach the objective, scatter out and watch different directions.
  • Learn the Maps – Flanking is tough in some situations if you aren’t familiar with the routes. As you start out, spend time following a squadmates lead and trying to learn the natural paths.
  • Change Kits – Use some situational awareness before you start hammering the respawn button. If an enemy helo has you locked down, don’t spawn medic again. Coordinate with your squad to get that bitch designated and send some rockets up there to counter the pressing threat.
  • Counter Vehicles Smartly – Throwing frags and shooting M320 shells at tanks does practically no damage and reveals your position to the enemy. The anti-vehicle kit items are more evenly spread this time, but if you aren’t carrying any then just spot and move on.
  • Watch the Mini-Map – Keep an eye on your objective icons and react if they begin to flash. Look for MAV spots who are flanking your position. If your team has a Commander active then you will get even more, valuable information loaded here. You can also use a tablet as a mini-map this time, if you’re fancy like that.
  • Spread the Love – This is a team game so think about your team some times. If you can’t get into a killing groove with your AR, switch to Engy and repair someone’s scout helo. Also, while you don’t get points for smoking an armed MCOM, it does help your team win. Be a team player.
  • Play the Objective – Sniping from the cozy safety of your deployment will not impact the match outcome of an objective mode. Nor will camping a quiet corner. If you don’t feel like arming MCOMs or capping flags, then set your server browser filter to one of the deathmatch modes instead.
  • There Are Many Ways to Play – Find a role that you like and/or excel at and do you.

…or go back to TDM.

What is my objective?
There are lots of modes now. Some old favorites and some new ones. They basically work like this:
  • Conquest: Classic Battlefield mode. Each team gets a set number of resupply tickets. Each respawn costs one ticket. Stand by a flag to take it. Having most of the flags starts draining the enemy’s tickets. When one team runs out of tickets the other team wins. WE FINALLY HAVE 64 PLAYER CONQUEST HOORAY!
  • Rush: Attacking team tries to set successive pairs of MCOMs and keep the defenders away until they blow up. Blow them all up to win. Attackers have a limited number of respawn tickets per set, and the Defending team will win if they soak them all out on any set.
  • Team Deathmatch: Shoot all the mans. Good for unlocking weapon attachments or transitioning in from Caulidoody. Refugees welcome.
  • Squad Deathmatch: The same but with half the game winning chance! And given that you can’t currently join a server as a squad, it’s probably better to just punch yourself in the dick instead of playing this mode.
  • Obliteration: Each team has three MCOMs to defend. A single bomb spawns in the middle. Grab it and take it to an enemy plant site to blow it up. Blow up all three to win. Or, more likely, have the most blown up when the time limit expires. (Hint: work together to transport the bomb carrier in a vehicle)
  • Defuse: Counterstrike (or Search & Destroy, in CoD terms). Obliteration with no respawns, six rounds, two plant sites, one squad each.

I hear vehicles are important in Battlefield; how do I play them effectively?
  • Rule #1: Go Down with Your Ship – Do not abandon a serviceable vehicle in enemy/neutral territory. You will not see it again until it dies and respawns. Seizing control of the opponents vehicles will often cause an insurmountable change in the direction of the match. When you take control of a tank/helo, it’s best to plan on dying in it.
  • Rule #2, of course, is: Steal Enemy Vehicles
  • Ride Share – Don’t leave the deployment with an empty vehicle. Before you drive that IFV off the lot, let your mates hop in to gun for you and catch a ride to the objective. If you’re thinking about using an attack helicopter as a ski lift to your sniping spot, just unplug your console and throw it at the nearest solid object.
  • Maintain – Keep an eye on your ride’s HP, and don’t be afraid to pull out from the fray and seek out a friendly engy.
  • Protect – Tanks are most heavily armored in the front and most vulnerable from behind and above, with the sides somewhere in between. If you are engaging another tank head-to-head, keep your front to it rather than showing it your rear end.
  • Third-Person View – Whenever you’re more focused on driving than shooting, click in on the right stick to pop out to third-person perspective. This will make it easier to navigate around obstacles and spot AT mines. (Does not apply on Hardcore servers.)
  • Specialize – Pick the right vehicle specializations for the situation.
  • Apprentice – Many vehicle classes are fairly useless without the early specialization unlocks. Earn these as a gunner or repair passenger before hopping into the driver’s seat.
Also check out HML’s LAV guide for more great tips.

Where can I go to practice flying a helo/jet?
There’s a sandbox this time! :toot: On the same menu as Quick Match and Server Browser, there is an option called Test Range that will let you practice flying. Good on DICE for finally addressing this. Please learn the basics on your own before handicapping your team in a real match.

How do spawn beacons work? Or, Why did I spawn facing a wall and get shot in the back?
The recon class has the ability to place down a spawn bacon in the field (after unlocking and equipping the item). Once it is placed, the recon’s squadmates can spawn on the bacon instead of its owner as long as it is in play. If the recon respawns on his own bacon it will be destroyed (he can throw another one down in the same location, of course). It can also be destroyed by enemy fire or explosives. The most important and overlooked factor to note here is that players will spawn facing the same direction the recon was facing when the bacon was placed. So be courteous and back into a quiet corner before dropping your sizzling, crispy box of radio goodness.

Holy poo poo something amazing just happened; what should I do‽
If you’re an Xboner, quickly shout, “XBOX, RECORD THAT!” at your TV, then go into the Upload Studio app, trim it, push it to SkyDrive™ and share the link here. If you’re on the PS Fource, then just calmly depress your “Share” button and retrieve your clip from Facebook. One note about this: it seems like pressing the button immediately after the awesome thing will leave you with a video clip that precedes it. So wait a bit before pressing Share. Presumably this will be patched in the PS4 OS at some point, but that appears to be the current state of things. And if you’re on a lastgen console, then I hope you were doing whatever Lazyfire used to do in BF3 to capture his gameplay.

Preserve examples of squadmates helping squadmates for posterity.

Which right dogtag should I equip?
After reading a few hundred pages in this thread, it will become clear to you that it is this one:

Speaking of dogtags, how do I avoid getting my own knife turned into my gut when trying to take someone’s tags?
Battlefield 4 introduces two new dogtag related mechanics to the franchise that happen to invalidate each other entirely. You can steal tags by knifing from the front now! But you should never, ever attempt to do this. Pressing the melee button while facing an enemy will give him a QTE prompt to counter-knife you, and he’d have to be an imbecile to fail it. If you go in for a tactical hug and the dude turns at the last second to face you, expect to die.

What should I do about these NAT issues on my Xbone (i.e. showing as anything but Open)?
Try following besny’s “Open NAT made easy” guide first.

That’s it? You didn’t answer my question?
Holy poo poo, you actually read an OP in Games? Are you new here? Please ask your question in the thread. We will snarkily answer it, and if you aren’t the first person to ask, then they will bug me to add it here. But it won’t help because you are the only person who will ever check here for the answer to it before asking it in the thread.

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Goon Community Custom Console Servers

If you are interested in donating to one of the servers, please read the OP of the respective PGS thread to find out how.

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 8, 2014

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
How do I register for the stats site? Can you add me? Origin is Robot_Randall

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Robot Randy posted:

How do I register for the stats site? Can you add me? Origin is Robot_Randall

close thread, goldmine

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Apparently the damage models for a lot of the guns in the Xbone version are broken.

http://forum.symthic.com/battlefiel...ge-model-lower/

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
How's this shape up to Killzone as a launch title? Killzone's multiplayer gets old real fast with the game modes and max of 24 players, and having no unlocks.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Interstellar Owl posted:

How's this shape up to Killzone as a launch title? Killzone's multiplayer gets old real fast with the game modes and max of 24 players, and having no unlocks.

I have BF4 on the PC but I keep up with this community since I truly believe that the Battlefield xbox crew is the funniest and coolest games community on the forums.

There are some bugs with the game, and SP is kind of a joke, but Battlefield is the most fun you can have in an MP shooter, even if you aren't very good at FPSes in general. Plus this iteration has added some very cool things like a spectator mode, more gadgets, easier flight controls, and a target range/practice mode where you can try all the vehicles and weapons. If you didn't play BF3, by the end of its lifecycle there were a ton of maps and new game modes. For all the criticism DICE gets I do believe that they take the franchise seriously and work hard to make it interesting, even for long term veterans.

Its a very awesome game and if you are buying this on the 'bone I can attest to how cool the regulars are.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I played BF2, BC2, and a bit of BF3 on the PC, and switched to PS4 for BF4. With a full 64 players in large conquest and comparable graphics to the PC version, I finally don't feel like I'm missing out on anything with the console version. I have both this and Killzone, but if I had to pick, it would be Battlefield for sure.

Mr. Talent
Feb 25, 2013
Are the PS4 servers still lagging like crazy today like they were this weekend?

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

SixtySix posted:

I have BF4 on the PC but I keep up with this community since I truly believe that the Battlefield xbox crew is the funniest and coolest games community on the forums.

There are some bugs with the game, and SP is kind of a joke, but Battlefield is the most fun you can have in an MP shooter, even if you aren't very good at FPSes in general. Plus this iteration has added some very cool things like a spectator mode, more gadgets, easier flight controls, and a target range/practice mode where you can try all the vehicles and weapons. If you didn't play BF3, by the end of its lifecycle there were a ton of maps and new game modes. For all the criticism DICE gets I do believe that they take the franchise seriously and work hard to make it interesting, even for long term veterans.

Its a very awesome game and if you are buying this on the 'bone I can attest to how cool the regulars are.

Well.. I have a PS4.. cause this would be the replacement for Killzone, but thanks for the insight. I'll probably trade it in and get BF4, much more exciting multiplayer it seems.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Interstellar Owl posted:

Well.. I have a PS4.. cause this would be the replacement for Killzone, but thanks for the insight. I'll probably trade it in and get BF4, much more exciting multiplayer it seems.

whoops, should have googled Killzone first. Sorry.

I haven't played with the PS3 guys but they post here and are subject to the same stringent standards of the BF4 console community, so I'm sure you'll be OK.

Are any BF3 xbros making the switch to PS4?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

SixtySix posted:

Are any BF3 xbros making the switch to PS4?

We lost Triangular Duck and Aishan. :(

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Holy poo poo I just got the Engineer Service Star and the Conquest Service Star in the same match while using a 200% XP Boost on top of the already double XP.

It turned into an extra 125,000 bonus

Edit: I went from level 10 to level 15 in one match. Ridiculous.

Daric fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 2, 2013

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Are there killstreaks in this game? How do I quick scope? What maps are like metro?

Actually, my friend asked me that one the other day while he was in the middle of Locker. I became very sad inside.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Tasoth posted:

Are there killstreaks in this game?

Yes, there is one. The reward for it is the enemy Commander is heavily incented to mark you as an HVT which permaspots you for the entire enemy team until one of them hunts you down for the sweet point bonus. It's the best killstreak.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Great OP!

Only thing I've been having trouble understanding lately is field upgrades. How the hell do the levels work? At first I thought that each level would unlock separately and consecutively but then I figured they would at least tell me which level I'm on currently if that was the case. What am I missing here?

Oh also, I checked that emblem database and was trying to use one by copying it over to the emblem customization page on the battlelog website but could only find the instructions on how to export them from battlelog. Is it possible to use those for PS4 players too or is that just for PC?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Shapur posted:

Great OP!

Only thing I've been having trouble understanding lately is field upgrades. How the hell do the levels work? At first I thought that each level would unlock separately and consecutively but then I figured they would at least tell me which level I'm on currently if that was the case. What am I missing here?

Oh also, I checked that emblem database and was trying to use one by copying it over to the emblem customization page on the battlelog website but could only find the instructions on how to export them from battlelog. Is it possible to use those for PS4 players too or is that just for PC?

The little bar with the symbols fills as the squad gets points. The ones you have active are in a lighter color, and the bar passes the tick under them. The bonuses also stack, but if the entire squad dies you lose all the bonuses. Also the commander can promote your squad, which bumps the squad up to the next level of upgrades.

ambient oatmeal fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 2, 2013

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Beelzebozo posted:

Yes, there is one. The reward for it is the enemy Commander is heavily incented to mark you as an HVT which permaspots you for the entire enemy team until one of them hunts you down for the sweet point bonus. It's the best killstreak.

You get tons of points for killing people as HVT though! It's actually kind of fun because you can back your LAV up into a secured area and the HVT spot ensures you'll have a steady stream of scrubs wandering into your field of fire.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Shapur posted:

Great OP!

Ah, good point. I will add added a FAQ about field upgrades. They're a little different than BF3's squad specs.

That google doc has a cell directly to the right of the upload one that tells you how to download. Maybe your browser window wasn't wide enough to see it, but the first two cells contain both of the instruction sets you'd need to exchange emblems. And it's on the web so it works the same for players of all platforms.

bringer posted:

You get tons of points for killing people as HVT though! It's actually kind of fun because you can back your LAV up into a secured area and the HVT spot ensures you'll have a steady stream of scrubs wandering into your field of fire.

That's a solid point. I guess if you're as good as bringer then being marked as HVT actually probably rulez with a zed. But I'm nowhere near ever being as good as bringer even when I dream about being awesome at Battlefield.

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 2, 2013

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
please remove me from your stupid loving stats site, tia

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 2, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Beelzebozo posted:

OP doesn't care about PC people apparently.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Battlefield 4 is like a war sandbox where half the kids in the sandbox have downs syndrome and the other half are taking advantage of the downsy kids and laughing about it amongst themselves.

It's a good game.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Lazyfire posted:

OP doesn't care about PC people apparently.

This is the console thread. Link to PC thread at top of OP.

Just kidding. I love you, Broman. Keep doing your podcast, tia.

I added a section about field upgrades. The first of many dozens of edits to come, I'm sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone getting kind of an unusual amount of graphical issues? Im getting weird textures flickering a lot on the terrain (near and far) on Lancang Dam.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Beelzebozo posted:

That google doc has a cell directly to the right of the upload one that tells you how to download. Maybe your browser window wasn't wide enough to see it, but the first two cells contain both of the instruction sets you'd need to exchange emblems. And it's on the web so it works the same for players of all platforms.

That'd odd, when I look at that cell it's sized the same as the one with the upload directions however it's completely empty except for a 0 in the top right corner.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Beelzebozo posted:

This is the console thread. Link to PC thread at top of OP.

Just kidding. I love you, Broman. Keep doing your podcast, tia.

I added a section about field upgrades. The first of many dozens of edits to come, I'm sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's good to know someone loves me.

By the by, everyone should endeavor to unlock the MTAR. I found Operation Locker Conquest Large is the best place because the game lasts forever and you get plenty of opportunity to get:
1 LMG kill
1 Assault Rifle Kill
1 Grenade kill
1 Sniper rifle kill

You get rewarded with a 30 round carbine that is just a really stable bullet hose that is quickly becoming my favorite all class weapon.

Feenix posted:

Anyone getting kind of an unusual amount of graphical issues? Im getting weird textures flickering a lot on the terrain (near and far) on Lancang Dam.

I've been seeing some interesting GIFs of BF4 where stuff isn't loading or objects like bushes and other plants are popping into reality at like ten paces. The example that stuck with me was from the PS4, but it apparently happens on the PC and Xbox as well.

Also, you can throw C4 in the water. Totally got a kill on an attack boat and then one of the gunners doing that yesterday.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 2, 2013

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Shapur posted:

That'd odd, when I look at that cell it's sized the same as the one with the upload directions however it's completely empty except for a 0 in the top right corner.

Oh weird, well maybe the owner is loving with it. Basically just hover the emblem you want to see its javascript code in a note and then hilight it all and copy it to your clipboard. Next go over to Battlelog™ and click "customize emblem" and start a blank emblem. Then bring up your browser's console (e.g. Cmd+Opt+J for Chrome on OS X (you're on your own if that's not you)) and hit paste and Enter. That should hack all the little bits into place. Then you click Save and Use.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ground floor in the hotdog chat thread.

Beez, you should probably mention Commander mode in the OP. It's a New Thing.

Obviously this thread's dogtag of choice should be this:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

yellowcar posted:

Ground floor in the hotdog chat thread.

Beez, you should probably mention Commander mode in the OP. It's a New Thing.

Obviously this thread's dogtag of choice should be this:

Implemented both of these excellent ideas.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Thank god for a real OP. Unless they fixed it, you should probably mention how single player corrupts saves for the PS4 version.

Edit: also :wtc: on 6 xm25 smoke kills. How do you do this? I need to get kills with the smoke launcher.

waah fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 2, 2013

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

waah posted:

Thank god for a real OP. Unless they fixed it, you should probably mention how single player corrupts saves for the PS4 version.

Oh poo poo, does it? :eek: Lemme google up on that and see if it's been patched. I'll definitely mention it if not.

waah posted:

Edit: also :wtc: on 6 xm25 smoke kills. How do you do this? I need to get kills with the smoke launcher.

Ask Cubivore / Cannot Find Server. He will soon own all three smoke related killsheets. Just like Seedge will own all eleven melee killsheets. It is just the way of things.

Yeah, I have no loving idea. I tried for a while to kill someone with that thing and just couldn't manage it.

edit:

Joystiq posted:

After a very rocky start on the PlayStation 4, it appears that Battlefield 4's online play is improving on Sony's new console. A new patch just deployed for the PS4 version of Battlefield 4 seems to have cleared up many of the game's online issues, including disconnects, crashes and corrupted save files.

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 2, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Beelzebozo posted:

Yeah, I have no loving idea. I tried for a while to kill someone with that thing and just couldn't manage it.

You gotta fire it from the hip instead of sighting up and getting a range on the XM. Then just stalk up on some sniper and pop them in the head for being a moron.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Beez you should mention that buying premium gives you :frogsiren:20 extra emblem layers:frogsiren:, a gold battlepack a month, exclusive camos and knives, and more specialer dog tags from battlepacks

Dingusamongus
Jul 5, 2005

Live, or Die Trying
Great new thread!

Looks like those hotdogs need some bacon! I found lots bacon Easter eggs in the beacon question of the OP. Hooah bacon!

I appreciate the info about the Field Upgrades. That was a mystery to me.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Lazyfire posted:

I've been seeing some interesting GIFs of BF4 where stuff isn't loading or objects like bushes and other plants are popping into reality at like ten paces. The example that stuck with me was from the PS4, but it apparently happens on the PC and Xbox as well.

I like triangular gatling guns, but the best is when you sometimes get a ironsight glitch on the M249. ADS that bitch and there's just a flat pyramid where the sight would be and you can't see poo poo.

I've also had the AK-12 disappear completely apart from the sight and magazine. That was fun to watch my guy slamming magazines into a invisible gun. Given the choice between random crashes and wacky graphic glitches, I know which I prefer. :allears: I hope to unlock the mortar soon and start firing invisible shells, that was a fun glitch in BF3.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I blew up a helicopter by jumping out of a pubbies, throwing C4, and detonating it, all while free falling.

This loving game.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 2, 2013

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Robot Randy posted:

Beez you should mention that buying premium gives you :frogsiren:20 extra emblem layers:frogsiren:, a gold battlepack a month, exclusive camos and knives, and more specialer dog tags from battlepacks

Done. Keep 'em coming, guys. What else did I forget?

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Beelzebozo posted:

Ah, good point. I will add added a FAQ about field upgrades. They're a little different than BF3's squad specs.

That's a solid point. I guess if you're as good as bringer then being marked as HVT actually probably rulez with a zed. But I'm nowhere near ever being as good as bringer even when I dream about being awesome at Battlefield.

:hfive: Honestly I've only ever been the HVT when I've been vehicle whoring which makes it easier to exploit the 'run to shiny' mentality. Minky got it last night on foot and it sounded like it sucked. Well, really it sounded funny because it was Minky and I can't start having sympathy for him now.

RCarr posted:

I blew up a helicopter by jumping out of a pubbies, throwing C4, and detonating it, all while free falling.

This loving game.

I really hope you remembered "Xbox record that" because saving little Battlefield moments is the best thing.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

bringer posted:

I really hope you remembered "Xbox record that" because saving little Battlefield moments is the best thing.

Oh yeah! Added that tip to the OP as well. Thanks.

edit: vvv Support Actions per Minute is a very important Battlefield leaderboard. Don't sell yourself short. I'd always rather play with the SAM leader than the KDR leader.

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiverTwig
Jul 23, 2003
I ignore all NWS Tags, my Boss's like porn
Holy poo poo! I'm top of the PS4 leaderboard in something! It's just support per minute, but damnit, I've always said I'm not the best at shooting mans, but I'll follow you and repair your vehicle, or I'll throw you health and ammo loving constantly.

• Locked thread