Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I just got done with season 1 of Misfits (watched in a day) and I absolutely loved it.

Is there any point I should stop though? I wish I hadn't watched past season 1 of Heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

101 posted:

I just got done with season 1 of Misfits (watched in a day) and I absolutely loved it.

Is there any point I should stop though? I wish I hadn't watched past season 1 of Heroes

Season 2 is also excellent if not better than Season 1. It's from S3 onwards that things get a little shaky but I've heard the final season (5) is really good so far. There's enough great stuff per season that you'll very probably enjoy it all the way.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

101 posted:

Nathan is gone after season two and the rest of the cast is eventually completely changed. Nathan leaves a big hole in the show but I think it recovers well eventually. It never gets boring and keeps being wonderfully absurd. On the whole the new cast is better than the original cast, which was carried completely by Nathan.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, with every change to the cast there were a number of people who went "AAAAGGGHH THIS IS IT MISFITS IS OVER" but it just kept being good. I've always felt like the writing was the best bit of the show anyway, so as long as that stayed consistent I was happy to stick with it. The last season is airing now, and it's been pretty solid all the way through.

Flying Jackk
Jan 14, 2012
I just finished the third season of Blue Mountain State, a little disapointing. Season 1 is stupid and boring, 2nd is stupid and hilarious and the last one is just boring. (But seriously watch season 2 it's awesome)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thad Castle, the man, the legend.

If you haven't seen them yet find the BMS behind the scene pranks and tests of courage. Alan Ritchson was a super competitive dude on set and used to come up with all these stupid games for him to beat everyone in. Very funny

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 29, 2013

Flying Jackk
Jan 14, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Thad Castle, the man, the legend.

If you haven't seen them yet find the BMS behind the scene pranks and tests of courage. Alan Ritchson was a super competitive dude on set and used to come up with all these stupid games for him to beat everyone in. Very funny

Just watched it, indeed very funny, this guy was really the one for Thad Castle. Thanks for the advice ! I am actually surprised the show ended that badly with these people knowing what they were doing

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually don't think it ended that badly, like they peaked in season 2. It was never going to be a long drawn out thing. But i enjoyed the ride from the get go and thought it ended well and just in time.

My only gripe was there wasn't nearly enough Mary Jo macking on with chicks, not even remotely enough.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been binging through Fringe lately. I'm just under halfway into season four. It's really cool stuff, and it's probably become one of my all-time favourites.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. Had a VHS tape with random cartoons that included this and it blew my mind when I was a kid. It's pretty good for an 80s cartoon designed to sell toys, though as an adult now I realized the acting is pretty bad at times (once again, 80s cartoon designed to sell toys, not expecting Shakespeare here), but the concept is unique and it's the only cartoon I know of where a car armed with a crane suplexes a plant-cyborg monster truck. :black101:

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Heard good things about season 8 Scrubs here but was disappointed. Just too juvenile and really repetitive, maybe it was always that way but I do think if I went back and watched the first few seasons it would be subtly different and much better. By season 8 it just seemed like there was nothing more to do with them and it was the same crap over and over. The janitor should exited after the forth season or so, my IQ dropped every time he was on screen.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Heard good things about season 8 Scrubs here but was disappointed. Just too juvenile and really repetitive, maybe it was always that way but I do think if I went back and watched the first few seasons it would be subtly different and much better. By season 8 it just seemed like there was nothing more to do with them and it was the same crap over and over. The janitor should exited after the forth season or so, my IQ dropped every time he was on screen.

Start watching season 9. You'll feel much better about season 8 (I didn't listen when everybody warned me earlier in the thread to stop at the end of 8 :smith:)

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Flashpoint. Just... Flashpoint. Funny thing is that in a show that has emotional manipulation down to a science, I thought that killing off Donna that way was a pretty dumb and over-reaching and lacked cache. Otherwise, I liked it a lot. Yeah I teared up at nearly every episode, sue me.

It's on Netflix streaming.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I just watched nearly every episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I always had the impression adult swim was bad without having watched it, but god drat this show is hilarious. :stare:

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 7, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

icantfindaname posted:

I just watched nearly every episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I always had the impression adult swim was bad without having watched it, but god drat this show is hilarious. :stare:

Watch Sealab 2021, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Moral Orel, Frisky Dingo, and Venture Brothers.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Also gotta throw in some love for Squidbillies and the first couple seasons of Metalocalypse (haven't seen anything past season 3). Also Home Movies.

But Moral Orel is definitely the one that stands out to me as a legit good show. That last season. Goddamn.

Bellakitty
Dec 28, 2008

I had never seen a single episode of The Mentalist before a few weeks ago. Now I'm halfway through Season 2.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Bellakitty posted:

I had never seen a single episode of The Mentalist before a few weeks ago. Now I'm halfway through Season 2.

Stop watching after season 3 or you will wish you had.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My wife and I just binged through 2 series on Netflix.

Supernatural seasons 1 - 8. Really enjoyed it. She enjoyed mocking it. I didn't mind since it's always fun to watch with another person. Biggest take away: Angels are dicks.

American Horror Story seasons 1 & 2. We both love this show. I thought the first season was better than the 2nd but it was still enjoyable. The best part is trying to figure out everything before the reveals. Some of our theroies were off the wall, balls crazy.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm on season 5 of Supernatural. I love the little comments here and there, I think it was towards the end of 4, making fun of the shippers and other crazy fans. I'm really enjoying it and wish I would have watched it sooner so I don't have so much to binge through.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm currently binging through Vampire Diaries season 4 as it just popped up on UK Netflix.

Enjoying it so far, needed something like this to watch.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

101 posted:

I'm currently binging through Vampire Diaries season 4 as it just popped up on UK Netflix.

Enjoying it so far, needed something like this to watch.

I came across this with my fiancé and soon-to-be in laws binging through it on a couple weekends.
Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it!
Ended up grabbing and surpassing where they were up to in a couple days.
Currently rewatching Jonathan Creek, which brings back memories.
What is it with British shows only having a half dozen episodes to a season? I get all excited knowing there is 4 seasons of something, and then it's only 20 episodes all up?

Edit: auto-incorrectons

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Spiteski posted:

What is it with British shows only having a half dozen episodes to a season? I get all excited knowing there is 4 seasons of something, and then it's only 20 episodes all up?

Quality over quantity :smuggo:

(Although I do love knowing I have a tonne of episodes left before something I enjoy is over)

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

101 posted:

Quality over quantity :smuggo:

(Although I do love knowing I have a tonne of episodes left before something I enjoy is over)

Yea I suppose I just get gutted that it is over. It works the other way too, watching lost for example; I wish that h:ad ended sooner.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spiteski posted:

Wait til you see Black Mirror. Strong contender for the best sci fi ever to be broadcast, but there are only two seasons and they are only three episodes each.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trig Discipline posted:

Wait til you see Black Mirror. Strong contender for the best sci fi ever to be broadcast, but there are only two seasons and they are only three episodes each.

Yeah but of those 6 episodes only 2 maybe 3 are jaw dropping.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah but of those 6 episodes only 2 maybe 3 are jaw dropping.

Yeah, I agree. Fifteen Million Merits and Be Right Back are fantastic, but the rest of series one is terrible and the other series two episodes are OK at best.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Those are my favorites as well, but I think they're all pretty fantastic.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I just finished a Friday Night Lights rewatch that I started over the Thanksgiving break

I swear to god this show is the best television ever made

and if you don't imagine Vince ending up as basically Russell Wilson then gently caress you

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the Friday Night Lights chicks were in Blue Mountain State, winner.
FNL is so drat boring. Came for the sports and girls, left because of the "drama".

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Servoret posted:

Yeah, I agree. Fifteen Million Merits and Be Right Back are fantastic, but the rest of series one is terrible and the other series two episodes are OK at best.

I thought 'The Entire History of You' was fantastic (although depressing). And 'white bear' was great too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

FNL is so drat boring. Came for the sports and girls, left because of the "drama".

you're not in the right place

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah, stories, writing, plots, and characterization are bullshit. Give me the titties and beer of a classic Spike TV comedy.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

GaussianCopula posted:

Stop watching after season 3 or you will wish you had.

I was going to argue with this but I can't remember if I'd seen any post-season 3 episodes until the few notable episodes that aired a couple weeks ago. I really like Patrick Jane as a character though, and I wished they could make the series last but I can see how it would wilt without other strong characters to keep it afloat. Everyone else on the show seems to be filling in the space with no real attempts to expand.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Currently binging through Hannibal, though that's probably not the best idea! :stare:

3 more episodes to go, gently caress it.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Spiteski posted:

UK series generally have far fewer writers than US shows. As far as I can glean, there is no "writers' room"-style model where a dozen writers sit in one room for twelve hours a day. It's mainly solo writers working alone on their own time.

mrfart posted:

And 'white bear' was great too.

Black Mirror is not flawless but "White Bear" is one of the most incredible and frightening things I've ever seen on television. To anybody reading this who hasn't seen it: avoid spoilers, go in blind, and watch that one episode.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Personally I think the best episode of Black Mirror is The National Anthem.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Rapsey posted:

Personally I think the best episode of Black Mirror is The National Anthem.

It just felt really gross and self-indulgent to me, like the only reason it existed was so Charlie Brooker could show Tony Blair loving a pig on live television.

And I know a lot of people liked The Entire History of You, but I was bored by it. I didn't really care about the protagonist's problems.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

devmd01 posted:

Currently binging through Hannibal, though that's probably not the best idea! :stare:

3 more episodes to go, gently caress it.
This is worth pushing to the end. I was not particularly impressed with the show until Savoureux, the season one finale. Though, all the meal scenes involving Hannibal are pretty awesome too.

I still find that there aren't really any characters to relate with, but maybe I should have expected that from a show called Hannibal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Shameless really clicked with me. Sort of reminder me of Skins as well.
I've touched most of the IMDBs "people who liked this also liked:" for those two shows already.
I stopped with Skins after season 4 or 5. Does anyone recommend the latter seasons?