Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
I don't think JR would be so unprofessional as to air his distaste for the angle live on air right as it happened. It would also confirm he was in on it. It's been a while since I read Have A Nice Day, did JR know it was going to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

magnum_valentino posted:

Any idea where I might mind this? If you know the year I might start there.

It's hard to say. My memory appears to be off, since it couldn't have been Monsoon with Savage as according to Wiki, Monsoon was only on Challenge while Savage was only on Superstars. That would mean it would be Savage and McMahon. There was a Savage/McMahon/Lawler commentary team for a while, but since I'm pretty sure Lawler wasn't there, I guess that would put it on WWF Superstars somewhere between November 1993 and March 1994. But I could be wrong.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Gavok posted:

It's hard to say. My memory appears to be off, since it couldn't have been Monsoon with Savage as according to Wiki, Monsoon was only on Challenge while Savage was only on Superstars. That would mean it would be Savage and McMahon. There was a Savage/McMahon/Lawler commentary team for a while, but since I'm pretty sure Lawler wasn't there, I guess that would put it on WWF Superstars somewhere between November 1993 and March 1994. But I could be wrong.

Were Afa's subtitled promos a regular thing? I've found an episode of Wrestling Challenge from February 93 that might fit the bill.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

magnum_valentino posted:

I don't think JR would be so unprofessional as to air his distaste for the angle live on air right as it happened. It would also confirm he was in on it. It's been a while since I read Have A Nice Day, did JR know it was going to happen?

I'm not sure anyone did. I definitely remember reading that Vince took Mick aside a few days later and said something along the lines of "Mick, thank you so much for that spot, it's great TV and it looked drat impressive live. Now don't ever do it again".

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Castomira posted:

What demographics in Japan are most into NJPW, et al? Is it mostly 20 to 40 year old adult males, or is its popularity more universal? What are the chances some random middle school girl knows the name of, say, Okada?

This was just discussed in the NJPW thread, but: wrestling is treated more like a sport in Japan (they know it's worked but it's not as outlandish as in the States) but a minor one now. Older people (30s/40s) will know lots of the famous names -- Kobashi's retirement in May was big news, but current NJPW isn't as much. Younger people are like younger people in the States -- except fewer have nostalgia for the last big era since it was longer ago.

That said, I don't know about middle school girls but I had a riveting talk about NJPW with some of my junior high school boys last week, including one kid lifting another for Suzuki's Gotsch Piledriver before I broke it up.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW

magnum_valentino posted:

I don't think JR would be so unprofessional as to air his distaste for the angle live on air right as it happened.

Except for that time he was drafted to Smackdown live without being told. But Vince must have been laughing his rear end off at the reaction since torturing JR something the company loves to do for kicks.

JR is like the kid who gets picked on every day in middle school without standing up for himself and is too proud to snitch.

budreck fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 2, 2013

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

I'm not sure anyone did. I definitely remember reading that Vince took Mick aside a few days later and said something along the lines of "Mick, thank you so much for that spot, it's great TV and it looked drat impressive live. Now don't ever do it again".

Vince said the same thing to Angle after he moonsaulted off the top of a cage

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

magnum_valentino posted:

iirc Mick told Taker, but not anybody else.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fatherdog posted:

Funk knew, he suggested they start on top.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

My fired!?! :ohdear:

I really didn't want this to get lost in the last page. Thank you sir.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Coaaab posted:

This is the picture in case anyone's wondering:

I've found the entire interview if you want to check it out. It's pretty awesome.

The subsequent match with Masato Tanaka is really brutal. I couldn't get through the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BV5Ful-q4k?t=24m39s

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Did that Google survey of how everyone got their start in the fandom ever get the results posted? I'd be quite interested to see them.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jerusalem posted:

That night a year or two back where Ventura came back and he and Vince went back to their old play by play/color roles was amazing :allears:
Complete with licensed '80s Saturday Night's Main Event theme song for their entrance :allears:

fatherdog posted:

haha, that REALLY could have gone wrong for the Spanish announcers.:stonk: If they weren't informed, they sure were lucky.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Minidust posted:

haha, that REALLY could have gone wrong for the Spanish announcers.:stonk: If they weren't informed, they sure were lucky.

Maybe its my cynical nature but I find it very hard to believe that the only people who knew were Mick and Taker didnt know given the monitors were out of their slots already and there was a camera man handily in that corner of the outside of the ring

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Taff posted:

Maybe its my cynical nature but I find it very hard to believe that the only people who knew were Mick and Taker didnt know given the monitors were out of their slots already and there was a camera man handily in that corner of the outside of the ring

It's not super easy to see, but those monitors are still in.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I always thought Mick was lucky one of those monitors' corners didn't puncture him in some way. I mean he obviously got hurt very seriously, but it could have been worse still, which is a scary thought.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Definitely still in, they just end up buried by the rubble:

As for the cameraman, there really isn't anywhere else for the guy to be except in that back corner. The cell takes up most of the ringside area, and the other corner's for the timekeeper/ring announcer/various equipment.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

"Mick, my pepsi."

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

oldpainless posted:

"Mick, my pepsi."

HE'S NOT CRAZY!
(INSTITUTIONALIZED!)
YOU'RE THE ONE THAT'S CRAZY!
(INSTITUTIONALIZED!)
YOU'RE DRIVING HIM CRAZY!
(INSTITUTIONALIZED!)
THEY STUCK HIM IN AN INSTITUTION
SAID IT WAS THE ONLY SOLUTION
TO GIVE HIM THE NEEDED PROFESSIONAL HELP
TO PROTECT HIM FROM THE ENEMY - HIMSELF!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Mick was incredibly lucky his head didn't hit one of the monitors because he very well may have died live on PPV in extreme closeup.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mick Foley will live to be 110 years old. If he hasn't died by now, the only thing that will kill him is old age.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gonz posted:

Mick Foley will live to be 110 years old. If he hasn't died by now, the only thing that will kill him is old age.

At the end of the world it will be cockroaches, Keith Richards, and Foley v. Funk.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I think Foley has actually mentioned how lucky he is that he didn't crack his head on one of the monitors.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The incredible thing being that, as bad and dangerous as it was, the second fall through the roof was the one that could have killed him even more instant-lier. Imagine expecting to fall gently on your back and instead tumbling through the air an additional 10-12 feet.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Basically that entire match can be summed up as "how the gently caress did Mick walk away from that?" Which really sums up his entire career when you think about it.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Not to mention that chair falling right on his face.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

The incredible thing being that, as bad and dangerous as it was, the second fall through the roof was the one that could have killed him even more instant-lier. Imagine expecting to fall gently on your back and instead tumbling through the air an additional 10-12 feet.
The cage was gimmicked. He was expecting to go through it. It didn't break as cleanly as expected, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

The cage was gimmicked. He was expecting to go through it. It didn't break as cleanly as expected, though.

Wasn't the problem the reverse? That it was supposed to give way slowly, basically letting Mick slide gently down to the ring... then the gimmicked catches broke and he just dropped like a stone?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't the problem the reverse? That it was supposed to give way slowly, basically letting Mick slide gently down to the ring... then the gimmicked catches broke and he just dropped like a stone?

Also the chair fell on top of him.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Either way, it looked like it was held closed by zip ties.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Ah, you're right. I was misremembering.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gaz-L posted:

I've heard this claim, along with one (possibly from Mick's first book?) that the planned spot was for him to be thrown off the side of the cell a second time. I think the latter claim has been debunked by most people who looked into it seriously though.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

oldskool posted:

Definitely still in, they just end up buried by the rubble:

As for the cameraman, there really isn't anywhere else for the guy to be except in that back corner. The cell takes up most of the ringside area, and the other corner's for the timekeeper/ring announcer/various equipment.

Hmmm I was sure when I watched it they were gone

why would you have a have a cameraman in that corner outside the ring at all?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

because they were on top of the cell on that side so the cameraman probably went there to get a shot?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've said it before but stop wondering how Foley survived, he didn't. That's what is so impressive about the last 15 years.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

At least Mick Foley did that on PPV. Kurt Angle moonsaulting the mat from the top of the cage was a TV match building to another event that didn't even involve him. WWF wrestling in 2001, :wtf:

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

At least Mick Foley did that on PPV. Kurt Angle moonsaulting the mat from the top of the cage was a TV match building to another event that didn't even involve him. WWF wrestling in 2001, :wtf:

Moonsaulting the MAT? When was this!?

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Sorry, I was thinking of him going from the top of the cage to the OUTSIDE of the ring, because I am stupid.

He did that, THEN I'd be impressed.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Happened across an RVD match and his 5-Star Frog Splash bugs me every time I see it because he sells it as though the move did more damage to him than the opponent. Then I recalled the latest episode of OSW Review where they mentioned Kanyon's finisher, which was basically him taking a Rock Bottom.

What other finishers appear to deal (or actually does) more damage to the performer than the recipient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Ghostpilot posted:

What other finishers appear to deal (or actually does) more damage to the performer than the recipient?

Justin Gabriel used to sell the poo poo out of hurting his abs after his 450 splash.