Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I just saw that Newegg Business has this deal going. Seems like a lot of laptop for the price.

Lenovo SLI Gaming Laptop $850 - Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p (59388313) Intel Core i7 4700MQ(2.40GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 8GB Hybrid SSHD SSD 15.6" 1920x1080

Laptop Cost: $980 + $20 Filler (Coupon starts working at $1000)

Coupon: XB2BCYBM150 ($150 Off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Monoclinic posted:

Thanks knox and Martytoof for the advice! I will go ahead and grab the Lenovo update thing to help with installing utilities.

I already have a key for Win 8 for my desktop, so what I did was download the OS again from Microsoft just to make a USB drive installer. I'll throw that on the new drive then upgrade it to 8.1. For the T440s did the clean install grab the Lenovo Win 8 key from the system hardware or should I dig it out with a software utility first before I swap drives? Thanks again for the info, very helpful!

IIRC you have to put BIOS into UEFI mode and it'll automagically extract the key from your BIOS. It would never hurt to have your key handy though.

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

Any good ultrabook Cyber Monday deals in the $500-$700 range? I was looking at this guy for someone that doesn't do any gaming, will be used for schoolwork / media mostly:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CFYqPfgodDBcAZw

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hawzy posted:

Any good ultrabook Cyber Monday deals in the $500-$700 range? I was looking at this guy for someone that doesn't do any gaming, will be used for schoolwork / media mostly:

1920 x 1080 IPS panel, and an i7; not a bad deal at all. 15" is kind of big but if it never leaves your couch it should be fine.

I can't comment on the case build quality or the keyboard though.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hawzy posted:

I'm seconding this request. I know the thread recommends Thinkpads, but I had one years ago and other than being built super tough, it was just OK. Their specs are actually quite poor for the price and since mine will probably only leave the house for a vacation or two each year, build quality is not paramount. If the build quality is 70% as good as a MacBook Air that would be more than enough. I just need desktop replacement for reading te forums and watching youtubes on the couch.

That said, Hawzy the main flaw I see in that system is a last gen processor (or so the "intel 4000 graphics" would have me believe. Other than that the specs look *Great.*

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hawzy posted:

Touchpad and keyboard are trash and those things got burned pretty bad in reviews when the first came out.

Ruttiger
Nov 3, 2004

The music itself is changing.
y510p is $879 on Lenovo website at the moment. I actually really want to get one, but they won't accept international credit cards at all! Why won't you take my money Lenovo!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

Touchpad and keyboard are trash and those things got burned pretty bad in reviews when the first came out.

Anand had mostly good things to say.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

Build quality is a bit of a question mark, and obviously the input devices have had their fair share of issues, but those are easy to get used to. The CT15 ends up being a very pleasant system to use, even with the keyboard issues

No thanks. I need the best keyboard and pointing device, no excuses. That's almost exclusively Lenovo/Apple.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

From amazon:

(reviews from the laptop in question)

amazon posted:

I am giving 3 stars due to the difficult keyboard. I actually use a bluetooth mouse so the trackpad hasn't been an issue for me.. however, when I am typing a lot I experience the dreaded double character issue. I have hit backspace many times just typing this message. It gets old really fast. I've also noticed that often key presses aren't registered at all without hitting the keys with serious effort. It's tiring and my hands are beginning to hurt. I love the screen and the hardware, but if I need an external keyboard, I may as well forget using the machine as a laptop...

another user

amazon again posted:

Stupid me. I was seduced by the hardware specs.Yes the screen is nice. And the i7 is great. But if you spend any extended time interfacing with your laptop, you might wonder how they could get the basic things like keyboard, trackpad and wi-fi so wrong. First, the wi-fi drops all the time. When it decides to act up, it won't go more than 3-4 minutes without dropping. Sometimes it's fine but I've since purchased a USB-ethernet adapter to ensure smooth data transfer. It's a huge annoyance.
The keyboard is also a little weird. If you don't squarely depress the keys, the stroke won't register. It's a little annoying, Then you start to realize the arrow keys are slightly misproportioned. It seems minor until you're tapping the keys and realizing your intuition about arrow keys fail on this layout. Caused me some teeth-gritting especially when you are coding.

The trackpad is unresponsive at times and wildly sensitive others. I knew of the issue before I purchased the laptop and decided to use it with a Logitech wireless mouse. However, the few times I like to use the computer in my bed or sitting on my couch, using the trackpad requires your utmost focus. Forget about selecting and dragging files around.

The irksome qualties detract from what is superficially a nice laptop. It is light, the screen looks good and the SSD is quick. But the edges are sharp and will irritate your palms, should you inadvertently rest them there. The battery life isn't great but it got crazy hot when you're using the laptop and charge it the same time. Kind of alarming.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

A friend just ordered an y510p, and is planning to eventually swapping the 1TB 5400 RPM drive with an SSD (and putting the 1TB drive in the ultrabay, most likely - any recommended adapters?). It looks like the computers comes with the 8GB cache drive, I assume that is simple to remove when installing a "real" SSD?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Jesus, that GT 755m SLI option on the Lenovo is amazing. Looked at the benchmarks, and the GTX 770m is actually inferior as a single card. Plus, anything that comes with the 770m standard is much, much more expensive.

It goes without saying, then, that it beats the pants off of the 765m that the Razer comes standard with.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Ok, I've had a look at the OP and the last few pages but I'm not much good with laptops so a lot of it is kind of over my head. Basically I've been looking for a decent bargain laptop I can use as an all-rounder, something I can type and browse on, play the less demanding games I have on Steam, and hopefully even use as a low-end recording studio with my USB i/o when I'm travelling. So with all that in mind, I've just seen this, which seems to be reasonably specced to do what I want as far as laptops go. So can someone explain to me why it's that cheap and whether it's actually a terrible idea? I've googled the model but can't find much by way of reviews.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Ok, I've had a look at the OP and the last few pages but I'm not much good with laptops so a lot of it is kind of over my head. Basically I've been looking for a decent bargain laptop I can use as an all-rounder, something I can type and browse on, play the less demanding games I have on Steam, and hopefully even use as a low-end recording studio with my USB i/o when I'm travelling. So with all that in mind, I've just seen this, which seems to be reasonably specced to do what I want as far as laptops go. So can someone explain to me why it's that cheap and whether it's actually a terrible idea? I've googled the model but can't find much by way of reviews.

It's a previous-generation processor, low-res screen, and it's purple. The build quality is likely to be pretty bad. That said, it might be fine for your needs, but don't expect it to hold up for a long time.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

DNova posted:

It's a previous-generation processor, low-res screen, and it's purple. The build quality is likely to be pretty bad. That said, it might be fine for your needs, but don't expect it to hold up for a long time.

There's a silver option, but some of us just like purple... I thought the screen was a fairly standard res in that price range? I'm not too worried about cutting edge processors so long as it can do what I want - the equivalent latest versions seem to use the U variant processor which is a tiny bit slower as far as I can work out? They also mainly had 4GB RAM and 500GB HDDs. Build quality is a concern though. I'm generally pretty careful with electricals etc but if it's going to fall apart by itself that's an issue.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It will probably be fine if you just leave it on your desk. And you're right that all laptop in that price range have bad screens.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Is it just a budget end laptop thing, or are HP particularly bad for build quality?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Both, really.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Ha, fair enough. In retrospect that answer shouldn't surprise me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LuiCypher posted:

Jesus, that GT 755m SLI option on the Lenovo is amazing. Looked at the benchmarks, and the GTX 770m is actually inferior as a single card. Plus, anything that comes with the 770m standard is much, much more expensive.

It goes without saying, then, that it beats the pants off of the 765m that the Razer comes standard with.

Well holy loving poo poo, I had no idea the GTX755m is an Ultrabay accessory! Are they compatible with any Thinkpads? Because sliding in a GTX 755 or Quadro whatever into my T520 (or another compatible model, at least) would be just about the best thing ever. I really like the Ultrabay and it's a shame there aren't more accessories out for them - even the numpad has been discontinued, apparently in favor of messing up the keyboards, but w/e.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Well holy loving poo poo, I had no idea the GTX755m is an Ultrabay accessory!

Yeah, this is news to me, can someone fill me in on the details here? How recent is this? Ultrabay ports are all the same, right? So in theory you could throw a GTX755m in a $200 T410 (first gen i5) and play BF3/BF4?

Any pictures of the install process, etc?

Edit, looks like it uses the Serial Ultrabay Enhanced spec Ultrabay. That would be really amusing.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 3, 2013

LunacySystem
Aug 11, 2007
ffffffffffffffffff
Edit: Never mind it sold out BAH
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1044&item_id=054964 is this a good deal? I just want something with a nice screen that I can watch Youtube on, and maybe play small Steam games like Peggle on. I'm also seeing mixed messages whether the SSD is upgradeable or not, though I don't know if I really need a bigger one.

LunacySystem fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 3, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LunacySystem posted:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1044&item_id=054964 is this a good deal? I just want something with a nice screen that I can watch Youtube on, and maybe play small Steam games like Peggle on. I'm also seeing mixed messages whether the SSD is upgradeable or not, though I don't know if I really need a bigger one.

We just answered this question about halfway up the page. TL;DR good screen, terrible keyboard, sharp corners. Awful keyboard. Did I mention the keyboard sucks?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone selling aftermarket chargers with the T440s square plug yet? I left my charger at work and I think it just underscores that I should have one at work and home in addition to one in my bag.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

We just answered this question about halfway up the page. TL;DR good screen, terrible keyboard, sharp corners. Awful keyboard. Did I mention the keyboard sucks?

You're confusing the Vizio with the Asus. The Asus Zenbook Primes have great screens, good keyboards (for an ultrabook), and sharp corners :eng101:

LunacySystem posted:

Edit: Never mind it sold out BAH

If you find it again somewhere, that would be a good laptop for what you want. Great screen, decent battery, the HD4000 easily handles non-intensive games up to the past year or two. Don't plan on upgrading anything in it, though; I think you technically can, but it is explicitly made to be non-upgradeable.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

mobby_6kl posted:

Well holy loving poo poo, I had no idea the GTX755m is an Ultrabay accessory! Are they compatible with any Thinkpads? Because sliding in a GTX 755 or Quadro whatever into my T520 (or another compatible model, at least) would be just about the best thing ever. I really like the Ultrabay and it's a shame there aren't more accessories out for them - even the numpad has been discontinued, apparently in favor of messing up the keyboards, but w/e.

Yeah, screw the Razer Blade. I'm not really purchasing this for battery life, and I theoretically could take an Ideapad into a business meeting without too many guffaws. Plus, I'll never break the bank at $1,400 which includes a warranty for the expected life of the laptop (3 years). That's $1,000 less than the Blade Pro.

Here are some of the GT 755m SLI specs:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-755M-SLI.106493.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

Am I crazy for wanting a y510p right now, or is something else in the $1400 price range a better option?

Edit: Bought it. Looking at the specs, I think I'm going to be a very happy man. And a much wealthier one to boot. Thanks, laptop thread!

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 3, 2013

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So I'm trying to open the y410p and I've got to the point where I unscrewed everything and I need to pull the back cover off. Holy crap, this back cover seems like it's on tight. I'm following the instructions about moving my fingers around the sides, applying pressure, and it's been about 30 minutes and nothing's happening other than the back corners popping out and a little loosening around the sides. But where the pegs are? Tight as ever.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
(I hope this is the right place to ask this, not sure if I'd need to find a specific hard drive thread)

Can goons help a brother out?

My mother has a refurbished Lenovo T61 and I need to replace the hard drive. I've never replaced a notebook's drive before, so I don't know if I'm looking for drives specifically designed for particular manufacturers or if I can run to Best Buy and pick up a Western Digital drive.

Can anyone recommend a drive? Preferably small (320gb and the like are way more than what she would need)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

(I hope this is the right place to ask this, not sure if I'd need to find a specific hard drive thread)

Can goons help a brother out?

My mother has a refurbished Lenovo T61 and I need to replace the hard drive. I've never replaced a notebook's drive before, so I don't know if I'm looking for drives specifically designed for particular manufacturers or if I can run to Best Buy and pick up a Western Digital drive.

Can anyone recommend a drive? Preferably small (320gb and the like are way more than what she would need)?

Any 2.5" SATA drive will work. Maybe get an SSD?

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
I scanned through the OP here and poked around the internet to try to research on my own some but I'm pretty computer retarded beyond basic usage. So, quick question for a few referrals:

Military, -- have to have laptop. Used for casual World of Warcraft play (might do 25-man raid here and there), Netflix, browsing the internet; pretty standard. Looking for mid-range gaming build that's at that nice sweet-spot price point ($600-700 from OP?).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What was wrong with the mil spec rated T430/440

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's almost hard to find a rotational drive under 500 GB any more.

How about an SSD: A Samsung Evo 120 GB? If you get a rotational drive try to get one that's 9.5 mm instead of 7 mm, because 9.5 mm is what'll fit in your machine's bumpers (the rubber things wrapping the drive and the laptop's drive holder thingy). 7mm would be fine if you don't mind having loose bumpers which isn't really an issue with an SSD. You just want a 2.5" 9.5mm rotational drive, ideally 7200 RPM, if you go for a rotational drive, or a 2.5" SSD (in 7mm or 9.5mm size) if you go for an SSD.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

terrez posted:

Looking for mid-range gaming build that's at that nice sweet-spot price point ($600-700 from OP?).

The $650 quote in the OP is for standard laptops. Gaming purposed laptops start at $750 and go higher than one can sanely pay.

For $750, you can get a brand new Lenovo y510 from the B&N Gold :siren: link in the OP. It has:

Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
-
Windows 8 64
-
15.6" HD LED Glossy Wedge 1366x768
-
NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
-
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
-
1TB 5400 RPM HDD
-
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer) Drive
-
Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 Network Card
-
Bluetooth Version 4.0
-----------

Your options are the

1. The above

2. The $850 model listed on Newegg with SLI GT750m and 1080p and a lower tier i5 processor(Overkill for your needs, but a great deal)

3. The $850 model listed on Lenovo's B&N Gold store with a single GT755m and 1080p. This would be your pretty girlfriend.

ALSO: This laptop is not MIL SPEC rated. It is strictly a high quality consumer item.

I don't know about any gaming laptop that is MIL SPEC rated. You best bet for one of those is a T440p with a GT 730m. It should handle WoW...maybe okay, but it will cost you just shy of $950 if you don't go overboard on your configuration. It is rated to survive conditions similar to Iraq.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Is there really any difference I need to worry about with Win 8 vs. Win 8 Pro when selecting from Lenovo, or can I just save the $50bux? Anyone have any experience with the X240?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
:airquote: MIL SPEC :airquote:

Do you even know what this means?

P.N.T.M. posted:

It is rated to survive conditions similar to Iraq.

Apparently not.

Which of these "MIL SPEC" tests does the T440p actually pass?

high pressure, humidity, vibration, high temperature, temperature shock, low pressure (15,000 ft), low temperature, and dust

The only one of these that really means anything are vibration and perhaps dust. Everything else is just a question of the parts they use, and it's not like they have some secret sauce behind their screens, motherboards, or CPUs. It's not like it's some fully-rugged Toughbook with a sealed interior, a touchpad that works when covered with water, and heating coils so that it can spin up a frozen hard drive. It's a pure marketing term. The military described some test procedures in one of its documents and with non-independent testing or presumption Lenovo decided that its machine was designed to pass some of them.

A more durable machine with better gaming ability is the Dell Latitude E6540.

Edit: Also, Lenovo's marketing material does not specify to what levels the tests were run. Did they do the low temperature test for basic cold, cold, or severe cold?

shrughes fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 3, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dorkanoid posted:

A friend just ordered an y510p, and is planning to eventually swapping the 1TB 5400 RPM drive with an SSD (and putting the 1TB drive in the ultrabay, most likely - any recommended adapters?). It looks like the computers comes with the 8GB cache drive, I assume that is simple to remove when installing a "real" SSD?

The cache space is part of the HDD, just treat it like a normal hard drive. It's simple to remove the HDD

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
tl;dr Scroll down to the :frog:

shrughes posted:

:airquote: MIL SPEC :airquote:

Do you even know what this means?

Apparently not.

Absolutely correct. I have no expertise in the matter and am talking directly from the sales material. Sorry if I breached anybody's trust or mislead someone. I simply wanted to point out the best match for the request, which usually leads me to the B&N link because those prices are ridiculous. I was stretching it by suggesting the T440p, and the price point of the E6540 is even worse, with a starting model going for $1,050 and coming only with HD4600 in a 1366x768 15.6" package. The next step up is $1,490, but it is nicer with a discrete card and 1080p screen... but for that price, you could go hog-wild on a T440p.

And this is what they do to their All-In-One desktops, so I have hope they treat their thinkpads equally as bad.

Benchmark for i7-4770k HD4600 WoW: Mists of Pandaria (Good Quality Preset), leads me to believe that HD4600 will give you noticeable choppiness during raids and high-action moments if you try to play above or even on this preset on 720p.

Benchmark for i7-4770k HD4600 Wow: Mists of Pandaria (Fair Quality Preset) has different prospects for 1366x768 on lower settings. +70FPS, but a noticeable mention that they did not test it in high raid situations. This is if you stick to Fair Quality.

I also completely disregarded the y410p. The 14" laptop has a $750 model with the GT755m, 1600x900 screen, 8GB of RAM, the i7-4700MQ, and Win8.1. There are cheaper models with 1366x768(~720p) screens. I don't know how comfortable you are with that size, but the 755m is complete over-kill all on its lonesome for a game like WoW at most standard laptop resolutions. But this is not MIL-SPEC tested.

:frog:
Terrez, pick only two: Game runs amazing, price is right, laptop is durable.

Between shrughes' and my suggestions, you have those options.

Bonus suggestion #1: Inquire with someone as to whether you get a Military price from any vendors.

Bonus suggestion #2: Whatever you eventually buy, immediately purchase a laptop sleeve for it. One goon recently posted on their laptop breaking after being stored loose in a rucksack.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

The cache space is part of the HDD, just treat it like a normal hard drive. It's simple to remove the HDD

Ah, the specs didn't say "hybrid drive", so I thought it was some kind of mSATA addition instead.

Any suggestions for (internationally shipped) ultrabay SATA adapters? Apparently the official one costs $110 in local currency...

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions. FYI I just posted that I'm military to convey that a desktop is ridiculously inconvenient and/or not allowed in general. I'm not in Afghanistan playing wow while shooting browns, I'm living in essentially a hotel room while I go to my job school in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Duke Chin posted:

Is there really any difference I need to worry about with Win 8 vs. Win 8 Pro when selecting from Lenovo, or can I just save the $50bux? Anyone have any experience with the X240?

Pro can join a domain, can be Remote Desktop-ed into, has some virtualization stuff, some security features, and is the only version you can add Windows Media Center to.

You probably don't need it.