Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Sober posted:

You have to break some habits from AC, especially regarding combat (but going back isn't that big a deal since combat is almost mostly a lateral move going from AC minus the enemy types in AO), that's about it. Gadgets range from functionally the same (glue grenade) to slightly gimped versions (like the concussion detonator) to interesting (remote claw in predator rooms).

Deathstroke isn't a complete Robin reskin, but awfully close. Since you don't have it yet anyway, might as well wait until they put the DLC on steam and discount it cheap.

Did you miss the 20$ amazon deal?

fake edit: It's still 20$

I did not know about the Amazon deal, and I took advantage of it. Thank you very much. I'm gonna give Origins a shot. I loving loved Arkham, especially City, so maybe more of the same is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Origins gets some justified complaints about bugs, and I do feel like it was missing a certain spark that Asylum and City had, but it was still executed well enough that I ended up pumping 90 hours into the game and enjoying most of what I did. It also was a real step in the right direction in terms of variety in boss-fights and there were a few moments in particular that stand out as absolute series highlights - particularly the entirety of the Lacey Towers murder investigation subplot which I thought was really well handled and had a superb "Batman figures it all out" moment.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I just started playing Origins myself. The game keeps freezing when I go to find a match in the multiplayer. Is this a widespread thing?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Jerusalem posted:

Origins gets some justified complaints about bugs, and I do feel like it was missing a certain spark that Asylum and City had, but it was still executed well enough that I ended up pumping 90 hours into the game and enjoying most of what I did. It also was a real step in the right direction in terms of variety in boss-fights and there were a few moments in particular that stand out as absolute series highlights - particularly the entirety of the Lacey Towers murder investigation subplot which I thought was really well handled and had a superb "Batman figures it all out" moment.

For all its faults Origins has the best story (except for Bruce's 30 second crisis).

Less Talk More Rock
May 8, 2007
Would you give it all up to live again?

setafd posted:

I just started playing Origins myself. The game keeps freezing when I go to find a match in the multiplayer. Is this a widespread thing?

I don't know which version you have, but it's done it often enough for me on PS3 that I don't even try anymore. Not to mention that when it doesn't freeze up I get put into a lobby by myself.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
And when everything goes as planned you still wind up in a round of Arkham Origins multiplayer, so you really just can't win.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

doctor 7 posted:

For all its faults Origins has the best story (except for Bruce's 30 second crisis).

It's also the best use of Bane across all three games so far. Though to be fair, that's not exactly the highest praise considering how terrible Bane was in Asylum and City.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I can't believe how fun the remote claw is. So many fun things to do, like attaching a dude to a gargoyle and watch him just zwoooooop and boing around; attaching a thug to a conveniently placed propane tank and watching it explode on his head; attaching a guy to another guy and watching them collide; attaching a propane tank to a gargoyle and waiting to cut it free over some goon's head.

All they need to do now is release a map that has an aquarium with a giant shark in it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So bugs and all, is Origins worth buying while it's discounted? And if so, PC or Xbox, given that usually I like to play games like this on Xbox so it's basically a "where's it broken less" question?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

So bugs and all, is Origins worth buying while it's discounted? And if so, PC or Xbox, given that usually I like to play games like this on Xbox so it's basically a "where's it broken less" question?

I'd say it is worth buying. I never had any serious bug problems so YMMV, but to me it was basically More Of The Same. It quite literally felt more like a high-budget expansion pack than a sequel, not in game length but just in general feel and atmosphere.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

It's also the best use of Bane across all three games so far. Though to be fair, that's not exactly the highest praise considering how terrible Bane was in Asylum and City.

I've heard an interesting interpretation of this being kind of the point - the 3 games, when in chronological order, depict Bane starting out as an intelligent, badass villain who, due to his foolish mistakes, is reduced to a pathetic, thuggish addict over the years.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

I've heard an interesting interpretation of this being kind of the point - the 3 games, when in chronological order, depict Bane starting out as an intelligent, badass villain who, due to his foolish mistakes, is reduced to a pathetic, thuggish addict over the years.

Oh it's absolutely what they're going for in Origins. By the end of the game Bane has sacrificed his mental capacity in one final desperate move to best Batman. I don't think that Asylum and City started from the base point of,"We'll do a prequel where he's intelligent" though, they just always seemed to forget he was supposed to be a strategic/tactical genius and natural if ruthless leader of men.

I just wish they'd had a little more room to explore Bane's motivations. We get the reveal that he's trying to break his addiction to Venom, retaining all the physical benefits and negate all the mental ones etc but we're never given an explanation for his cryptic comments about Batman haunting him/Bane unable to feel truly at peace/free until he defeats him. Apparently this is a little bit of backstory from the comics itself, where Bane was haunted by a giant bat in the prison he grew up in, and thus Batman represents what Bane considers a symbol of Bane's own fear and weakness, as well as a constant reminder of a prison he physically escaped from but is still trapped in emotionally. They might have been able to do that if they hadn't insisted on bringing Joker back after the excellent mid-game resolution/aftermath of Batman and Joker's first official meeting.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

CapnAndy posted:

I think the 3.1 GB patch prevented the PC from breaking your game. I'd say it's worth getting into now.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Oh it's absolutely what they're going for in Origins. By the end of the game Bane has sacrificed his mental capacity in one final desperate move to best Batman. I don't think that Asylum and City started from the base point of,"We'll do a prequel where he's intelligent" though, they just always seemed to forget he was supposed to be a strategic/tactical genius and natural if ruthless leader of men.

Oh, I agree - in a way that makes it even more brilliant, if the Origins writers saw how Bane was handled in Rocksteady's games, didn't think it was appropriate, and decided that even if they couldn't fix it, they could give it context and justification.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Seventh Arrow posted:

attaching a propane tank to a gargoyle and waiting to cut it free over some goon's head.
I didn't know you could do that!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I actually haven't tried it, but I'm assuming that the whole reason you can attach a propane tank to a gargoyle is so that you can cut it loose with a batarang and wreck someone's day.

edit: hilarity confirmed

Seventh Arrow fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 30, 2013

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I grabbed the PS3 digital version on sale and so far I like it a lot. I played through Asylum and City once each when they came out, so I'm not burnt out on Batmans. I haven't had that much difficulty adjusting to the combat system, and the timing doesn't seem that different to me from what I remember. It's definitely a bit buggy though, and I occasionally get loading pauses in the open world. And there's definitely quite a bit of re-used content.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Arkham City GOTY (all DLC) is $7.49 on Steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/200260/?snr=1_4_4__617

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I just wish they'd had a little more room to explore Bane's motivations. We get the reveal that he's trying to break his addiction to Venom, retaining all the physical benefits and negate all the mental ones etc but we're never given an explanation for his cryptic comments about Batman haunting him/Bane unable to feel truly at peace/free until he defeats him. Apparently this is a little bit of backstory from the comics itself, where Bane was haunted by a giant bat in the prison he grew up in, and thus Batman represents what Bane considers a symbol of Bane's own fear and weakness, as well as a constant reminder of a prison he physically escaped from but is still trapped in emotionally. They might have been able to do that if they hadn't insisted on bringing Joker back after the excellent mid-game resolution/aftermath of Batman and Joker's first official meeting.

A big thing I wonder about is how Bruce already seems familiar with Bane. As you mentioned in the blacked out stuff, we can fill in the blanks on Bane's motives because in Origins he seems consistent with the Bane in Knightfall, but in the comics Bruce didn't know who Bane was until he showed up in Gotham. This game sort of seems to imply Batman and Bane have more of a history than their comic or movie counterparts did at the "same" point in their relationship.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Beeez posted:

A big thing I wonder about is how Bruce already seems familiar with Bane. As you mentioned in the blacked out stuff, we can fill in the blanks on Bane's motives because in Origins he seems consistent with the Bane in Knightfall, but in the comics Bruce didn't know who Bane was until he showed up in Gotham. This game sort of seems to imply Batman and Bane have more of a history than their comic or movie counterparts did at the "same" point in their relationship.

I assumed that it was just similar to Dark Knight Rises where while neither of them had met yet, they knew of each other just by reputation (Bane as an extremely effective mercenary and Batman as The Batman)

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Could be that, I just found it strange that with every other assassin he explained in detail exactly who they were, whereas with Bane he just says "Bane? Here in Gotham?" It separates Bane from the rest even though most of the assassins were notorious killers.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Nice to see the patch hasn't done anything about the incredibly loving worthless camera. Do I need an extreme close up of Batman from the side every time I do a glide kick? No. Do I need a ridiculously distant shot when I do a dive attack? No. Do I need a close up of the one guy I'm fighting 80% of the time instead of seeing the guy with the pipe out of shot who just ruined my combo? I guess so!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So is the button response on the 3DS game absolutely awful, or do I just suck? It's bad enough that I'd think my 3DS was broken if not for the fact that every other game works fine, but Batman only seems to respond to like one out of three presses.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Beeez posted:

Could be that, I just found it strange that with every other assassin he explained in detail exactly who they were, whereas with Bane he just says "Bane? Here in Gotham?" It separates Bane from the rest even though most of the assassins were notorious killers.

Maybe he'll show up in the prequel DLC.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Folks have figured out how to mod in Joker, Deathstroke, Red Hood, Bruce Wayne, and what seems to be a beta version of the darkest knight armors ingame.

This video has the details.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Folks have figured out how to mod in Joker, Deathstroke, Red Hood, Bruce Wayne, and what seems to be a beta version of the darkest knight armors ingame.

There's something hilarious about Bruce Wayne showing up in the middle of a blizzard and picking a fight with 10+ thugs, one of whom declares,"NOBODY IS GONNA BELIEVE THIS!"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Discendo Vox posted:

I love how Deathstroke has a flurry of dollar bills instead of bats.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

All I could think while watching was how my countering never works anywhere near that perfectly in large groups. :(

edit: did the Deadshot mission tonight and the geometry completely hosed out on me.

It was like massive drapes were instantaneously hung from everywhere.

Still beat it :smugbird:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 2, 2013

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Nice to see the patch hasn't done anything about the incredibly loving worthless camera. Do I need an extreme close up of Batman from the side every time I do a glide kick? No. Do I need a ridiculously distant shot when I do a dive attack? No. Do I need a close up of the one guy I'm fighting 80% of the time instead of seeing the guy with the pipe out of shot who just ruined my combo? I guess so!

Give them a break the patch was only like 3 gigs.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I think I'm just going to delete my save, start over from the top with the Worst Nightmare guide and then cruise to the end before doing NG+. gently caress trying to do worst nightmare with NG+ and the auto-detonate gel upgrade working against me. It would've been fine if the challenges weren't oddly specific, but they are.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Is that the rank 6 one? I could only do that one in the bank. I thought that the explosive gel was the least difficult part...at the very start of the level, I just swoop down from a vantage point and put the gel on the two walls across from the entrance. It's not too long before someone walks near them. Here's what I used:

quote:

Rank 6: Perform 4 exotic takedowns in one encounter; vent takedown, hanging ledge takedown, corner takedown and explosive gel takedown.

Okay this is the one that is a real pain in the rear end. As far as I know this can only be done inside the gotham merchant bank. I would recommend doing it the first time you go there as the second time is way more difficult.
The corner takedown: needs no explanation although I would do this first as you are likely to get spotted trying once the guards are on alert.
Hanging ledge takedown: this is more difficult than it seems. Not just any ledge will work. On the lower half of the bank are 4 metal grates, stand on top of one then use the sonic batarang to lure a guard underneath, then take him down when prompted. These are to my knowledge the only ledges you can use this takedown on and the reason this challenge blows donkey d**k if you aren't prepared for it.
Explosive gel: This must be on a solid wall not the glass. There are two walls at the far side, only use one of them because the takedown will not count if the guard isn't fully KO'ed.
Vent takedown: to clarify, these are the vents in the walls NOT the grates on the floor. Use detective mode to find one and then lure and takedown.

http://www.trueachievements.com/a180190/worst-nightmare-achievement.htm

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

redbackground posted:

All I could think while watching was how my countering never works anywhere near that perfectly in large groups. :(

edit: did the Deadshot mission tonight and the geometry completely hosed out on me.

It was like massive drapes were instantaneously hung from everywhere.

Still beat it :smugbird:

Careful, this could be a sign of an overheating graphics card.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Is that the rank 6 one? I could only do that one in the bank. I thought that the explosive gel was the least difficult part...at the very start of the level, I just swoop down from a vantage point and put the gel on the two walls across from the entrance. It's not too long before someone walks near them. Here's what I used:
Well the problem with the challenge system is that it is locked in a specific order, the predator challenges are oddly specific, and the rooms aren't that well laid out or have too many opportunities for a weakened wall through explosive gel takedown; plus they do not respawn. Add on top of that WB Montreal decided to bring back the auto-detonation explosive gel upgrade, which is essentially playing on super hard mode if you are doing challenges. I think there is a reason Rocksteady put it in AA, then removed it in AC and rather just put an enemy tracker on the HUD when enemies get near the gel instead.

It is a double-edge sword when you have it normally but it just plain sucks if you are trying to do the challenges. If you are prepping a wall, and an enemy happens to wander by it on the wrong side of the gel, well, you lost a wall and he only gets knocked down. On the flip side that did happen once while five other henchmen got barreled over by the wall :v: but that's rare in any case and I didn't have enough thugs left to do the rest of the challenge so that's a restart.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Here's a trailer for the Initiation DLC, to be released tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9KB1F1Jg_g

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh sweet, more Shiva action.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looks neat, but any idea on the price?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I've been having a terrible time readjusting to AA controls, I think playing the DLC will break my brain.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I really need the disarm combo. At what point in the game do you earn it?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I really need the disarm combo. At what point in the game do you earn it?

You get it in a sidequest, "Bird" I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yep, which is kind of a bummer since that's fairly late in the story campaign.

• Locked thread