Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
We're a couple weeks out from Belize and the Blue Hole, but I've got a problem.

We've been meaning to upgrade our camera but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've been doing a bunch if research over the past few weeks and have a few thoughts, but am curious.

What would you buy if you had 2-3k free for a camera, housing, and accessories (including strobe and lenses)?

e: I'm looking at this for ~$2k all in:

http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/photo-pro-s-opinion-olympus-epl5/

Thoughts?

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ttomkat
Mar 26, 2010
So I just got back from Belize a week ago. As luck would have it, it rained every freakin' day. Luckily the water was 84F all the way down to 90 feet. Of course it was much better being under the water than stuck in rain. One day we even had a good 4' swell on the surface. It made the water a bit murky and boat re-entry "interesting", but I actually had a blast drifting in the current while a couple other divers got sick.

Highlights from the trip include getting my AOW. I did the peak performance buoyancy as one of the dives, it was definitely more challenging than what I anticipated. Another highlight was definitely the spotted eagle rays. I also did my first night dive which was pretty unique.

I am putting together some video clips if anyone is interested.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Post 'em if ya got 'em!

It's all we have to tide us over until our next dive trips.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Tomato Soup posted:

That's how I'm hoping to pick up an Oceanic Geo 2, there's a seller on Amazon who has the old style Geo up for a great deal but sends out Geo 2's instead. It's been that way for a while according to reviews. I just hope it's still going on when I have enough spare cash to pick up a computer (probably in January).

It's an awesome computer, love mine to death

jackyl posted:

We're a couple weeks out from Belize and the Blue Hole, but I've got a problem.

We've been meaning to upgrade our camera but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've been doing a bunch if research over the past few weeks and have a few thoughts, but am curious.

What would you buy if you had 2-3k free for a camera, housing, and accessories (including strobe and lenses)?

e: I'm looking at this for ~$2k all in:

http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/photo-pro-s-opinion-olympus-epl5/

Thoughts?

I'd buy used. I've seen a dslr rig go for around ~$500. Older model but still going to be able to take amazing photos

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 27, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Buy a good housing and toss a used dslr in it.

https://www.keh.com is awesome for used camera gear. I bought everything there when I was a photographer.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Oh god, leaving tomorrow for the diving in the Maldives. I can barely handle how excited I am.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 28, 2013

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Have a great time! Bring books as there's not a lot to do other than diving.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Aquila posted:

Oh god, leaving tomorrow for the diving in the Maldives. I can barely handle how excited I am.

I expect a huge trip report when you get back sir :colbert: Have fun!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks all for the DSLR advice but it's too late. The E-PL5 is here, as is the strobe, arm, and fiber optic cable. The housing will be here Friday, then I have a week to get familiar with it all before we leave for Belize. :getin:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Does anyone know anything about diving in Mozambique? I was planning on going to Egypt early next year but I might end up in South Africa for a conference so am thinking about heading there as an alternative.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Any NAUI divers on here know details about PADI DM's assisting on NAUI courses?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Tomberforce posted:

Any NAUI divers on here know details about PADI DM's assisting on NAUI courses?

They'd need to do the paperwork to be a naui dm prior to the course. I don't think they have to do the whole naui DM course, but you can't cross DM without having both DM (naui/PADI) licenses.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

They'd need to do the paperwork to be a naui dm prior to the course. I don't think they have to do the whole naui DM course, but you can't cross DM without having both DM (naui/PADI) licenses.

Really? The NAUI instructor here said NAUI allows PADI DM's as assistants, but not the other way round?

I'm thinking of crossing over anyway to do the IDC with NAUI instead of PADI. From what I've seen it's more my kind of agency.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Tomberforce posted:

Really? The NAUI instructor here said NAUI allows PADI DM's as assistants, but not the other way round?

I'm thinking of crossing over anyway to do the IDC with NAUI instead of PADI. From what I've seen it's more my kind of agency.

After looking into it naui allows DMS from other agencies, but its not reciprocated. You can't be a naui Dm assisting for a PADI class. Who knew

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Did my wreck diving and Nitrox cert over the weekend. We did the dives at the HMAS Adelaide off Terrigal, NSW. It was purpose-sunk for diving and has large holes cut into many places, so the wreck exploration isn't particularly dangerous. Still, it's quite unnerving to be inside a dark hold with only a hatch as the way out even if you know you're only about 10m away from an exit. It must be very scary doing a wreck that doesn't have those extra exits.

Any Sydney area goon divers, you really need to go there if you haven't yet, it's got tons of sea life, including kingfish, cuttlefish, grey nurses and a whole lot more. I regret not taking my go pro, I was thinking I should concentrate on the course but I would have still had ample opportunity to use it in the dives that didn't involve a lot of reel work.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

My fiance and I are looking to honeymoon in the Caribbean and are wondering where we would find the best combination of diving and amenities. We're just normal open water divers, nothing fancy, but would like to get a lot of diving in while still in a place that's also fun on land.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Luceo posted:

My fiance and I are looking to honeymoon in the Caribbean and are wondering where we would find the best combination of diving and amenities. We're just normal open water divers, nothing fancy, but would like to get a lot of diving in while still in a place that's also fun on land.

Cozumel is definitely all of those things

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Crunkjuice posted:

Cozumel is definitely all of those things

Never would have thought of Cozumel, thanks!

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Unimpressed posted:

the wreck exploration isn't particularly dangerous. Still, it's quite unnerving to be inside a dark hold with only a hatch as the way out even if you know you're only about 10m away from an exit. It must be very scary doing a wreck that doesn't have those extra exits.
It's er, either your type of thing or not. Same with cave diving, which actually weirds me out more than wrecks because caves bend and turn up and down in completely random directions where at least the inside of a wreck makes some sort of sense even if it is broken and twisted around. It's also easier to make tie offs when running line in a wreck at least in my experience. Plus when I'm doing a real serious wreck penetration I actually get really calm. It's one of those things where the only thing on my mind is the task at hand, the rest of the world doesn't matter, just getting in and getting out.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 3, 2013

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Luceo posted:

Depends on what you consider amenities and fun on land.

Roatan is amazing for diving, but doesn't have a big night club/girls gone wild kind of scene. But there is a lot of awesome island stuff to do like zip lines, scooter tours, hiking, etc.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I'm contemplating signing up for a Chilly Willy dive. It'll be in January, in a quarry in Northern Virginia. I just got Dry Suit certified, so it'll be my first experience diving in cold water with a dry suit. The quarry itself is kinda crappy, but the cold-weather dives apparently make it so the visibility is 40 feet as opposed to 3 feet like normal. Yay!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Luceo posted:

What do you want to do on land? Lots of Mayan ruins in that area. Belize has pretty killer diving, too, and far less resorty if you're not into that. Wife and I had a beachfront hotel room facing the barrier reef, which took less than 10 minutes to kayak to, which, on top of diving, you can snorkel to your heart's content.

grover fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 3, 2013

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

grover posted:

What do you want to do on land? Lots of Mayan ruins in that area. Belize has pretty killer diving, too, and far less resorty if you're not into that. Wife and I had a beachfront hotel room facing the barrier reef, which took less than 10 minutes to kayak to, which, on top of diving, you can snorkel to your heart's content.

Oh, generally faff about in a place where we won't get stabbed and can have a nice dinner somewhere. History is always a plus.

It's actually kinda neat how getting scuba certifications have changed how we approach vacations.

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

Luceo posted:

Never would have thought of Cozumel, thanks!

Second Cozumel, just got back from my our first trip there a few days ago and it was awesome. It has a good mix of non-diving activities and places to stay vary from shithole to fancy resort to private villa. One of my favorite things about it was the walkability, its extremely safe and you are near town there are restaurants of all types. We dove with this guy which I can't recommend enough: http://www.living-underwater.com/
They pick up your gear the day you get there and pick you up on your dock (everywhere has a dock) each morning with your gear all set up and ready to go. Very small group and large steel tanks and you can dive your air/no-deco time. Its all drift diving so as people get low the DM shoots a sausage and you do your safety stop and surface while you float along with it and everyone else can continue the dive. We saw a seahorse so small it required a magnifying glass to really see, which Jeremy carried on every dive if that tells you anything.
The only downside is that some of the island gets crowded during the day when the cruise ships are in but they are pretty much gone by dinnertime. Not a lot of historical stuff on the island but you can take a ferry to the mainland where all the Mayan ruins and stuff are, and one of the dudes on our dive boat spent a day over there diving the cenotes which sounded awesome.

If you want something slower paced and less developed then Roatan is an awesome choice. There's less to do but sometimes that is a good thing. If you want somewhere that is super chill then this is your place: http://www.tranquilseas.com/
Super small eco-resort with a seriously loving awesome dive operation. Its so chill the bar is on the honor system when the bartender isn't there, you just grab whatever you want and write it down. Its a 3-5 minute cab ride to the West End (downtown) where all the primary bars and restaurants are so you are just far enough away but just close enough if you know what I mean. This is the only place we have been back to more than once.

If you want to dive balls, then you should go to Bonaire. All shore diving: you rent a truck and you can pick up unlimited tanks and drive around and dive whenever/wherever you want. Even less to do here but the donkey sanctuary is one of the most entertaining places I have ever been.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm contemplating signing up for a Chilly Willy dive. It'll be in January, in a quarry in Northern Virginia. I just got Dry Suit certified, so it'll be my first experience diving in cold water with a dry suit. The quarry itself is kinda crappy, but the cold-weather dives apparently make it so the visibility is 40 feet as opposed to 3 feet like normal. Yay!

Ho there Northern Virginia goon. I am assuming you are talking about The Dive Shop's Chilly Willy events. The quarry is kinda crappy as you say, but you will enjoy diving it dry moreso if you are a returning diver to the site. If you are looking for a dive buddy for the NoVa area I am always down to go exploring. Other quarry options that are ~2-3 hours from the Washington Metro area: Dutch Springs, PA; Guppy Gulch near Delta, PA; and Lake Rawlings, VA. I have some friends who will likely be putting together a Lake Rawlings trip in either January or February, if you want me to send you details let me know.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

helpy posted:

Ho there Northern Virginia goon. I am assuming you are talking about The Dive Shop's Chilly Willy events. The quarry is kinda crappy as you say, but you will enjoy diving it dry moreso if you are a returning diver to the site. If you are looking for a dive buddy for the NoVa area I am always down to go exploring. Other quarry options that are ~2-3 hours from the Washington Metro area: Dutch Springs, PA; Guppy Gulch near Delta, PA; and Lake Rawlings, VA. I have some friends who will likely be putting together a Lake Rawlings trip in either January or February, if you want me to send you details let me know.

Another NoVA diver goon here too. :)

edit: Thanks for the additional Cozumel info, SuitcasePimp!

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

helpy posted:

Yup, that'd be the one :D And I've been to the quarry once, to get my AOW, but I was mainly just on the platforms, so I didn't get a chance to see anything fancy (we were going to descend to 90 ft to see the plane, but my dive buddy was wearing a dry suit and it sprung a leak so he got flooded with really cold water so we had to abort). I've also been to Dutch Springs to get my Dry Suit, but that was also just on the platforms to get my certification.

My February is kinda full, but feel free to PM me if you've got it and maybe we can at least dive when the weather gets warmer :)

In your (and other NoVa divers) opinion, what is the best quarry around here? I've heard that Dutch Springs and Lake Rawlings are the two best, but is one better than the other?

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

SgtScruffy posted:

In your (and other NoVa divers) opinion, what is the best quarry around here? I've heard that Dutch Springs and Lake Rawlings are the two best, but is one better than the other?

Here is a short list of my personal Pros and Cons for the four sites that I know of in about a 3 hour drive time from my apartment in Falls Church.

Lake Millbrook
Pros:
-It is relatively close compared to all the rest, only a 45 min drive for me.
-Platforms are in good condition
-Relatively cheap entry fee at 25 dollars
Cons:
-Not as much to 'see', they have maybe a plane and a bus and a space station thingy, but that is about it.
-No air fills on site which means you are schlepping tanks, but on the plus side you can trust the air you are bringing.

Guppy Gulch
Pros:
-Air fills on site, bring one tank (or rent from the site) and you can get fills for 8 dollars I think.
-Many more sunken objects to see: a bus, train, boats, etc. If other jerk divers haven't decided to practice with their new expensive dive knives then there are even lines for you to follow to get from one item to the next.
-Cheapest entry fee of the four, only 20 bucks gets you on site.
Cons:
-A bit farther out, 2.5 hour drive for me.
-Water is pretty cold, I went there in late Sep and we were hitting 6-7C at about 15m. You are probably going to want to dive dry here.

Lake Rawlings
Pros:
-Air fills on site, 17 dollars a day for unlimited fills.
-Many many many sunken objects to see.
-Water is pretty warm above the thermocline.
-Open year round (during their winter season you need to call them ahead of time and give them like 48 hours notice).
Cons:
-Higher entry fee - 30 dollars in winter, 27.50 in the summer.
-3 hour drive for me.
-It is a pretty popular dive site so if you are going on a weekend expect to deal with a lot of classes in the shallow areas, this is pretty true for ALL the dive sites though.

Dutch Springs
Notes:
-I haven't actually been to Dutch Springs, but google maps says it is about a 3.5 hour drive for me. I would check it out, but haven't found anyone who wants to make the drive with me.
-It is the most expensive at 37 dollars to enter.
-A friend told me they had some air quality issues in the past, but that isn't something I can speak to personally so you may want to do some homework before you use their air fills.
-They have cheap air fills at 6 dollars a tank.
-Their map shows a pretty large number of things to see underwater.

Overall, I would probably lean towards a trip to Guppy Gulch first before I went to Rawlings just because it is a little bit less driving time. Rawlings, Dutch Springs and Guppy Gulch all allow for camping which is something I would like to do in order to cut down on all the driving crammed into one day.

I am sure there are other dive sites in the area to explore which I haven't listed, I am always on the hunt for more. It seems to me most of the local shops in the area tend to recommend Millbrook because it is close and convenient and then Dutch Springs because they do a lot of marketing, but that is just my two cents.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend wants to head to Thailand (Patong Beach in particular) to get some dental work done and between the first and second appointments we're thinking of heading off for a minimum 4 day liveaboard.

Does anyone have any experience with liveaboards in the Similan islands region, or operating from Thailand (preferably the Phuket area)?

Alternatively, where's the best place in Thailand to dive? We were originally certified in Koh Phi Phi Don a few years back so obviously somewhere different would be best.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I've done a liveaboard to the Surin and Similans. It was exactly that, a 4 day cruise out of Khao Lak. However, I signed up for the cruise from Princess Divers on Phi Phi. This was back in 2009, and it cost about $600 US.

The dives were pretty drat good, and I'd heartily recommend it to people who visit the area. The reefs were beautiful and depending on the time of year you can see mantas and whale sharks.

Be forewarned though, liveaboards will have you do upwards to 4 dives a day. You wake up, have coffee and a banana, then dive (around 7:00 am). Come back, change, eat breakfast, offgas, change, dive #2. Come back, eat lunch, wait, then dive again. Dive #4 is usually before dinner, but sometimes with night dives it's after.

If you do a liveaboard, bring an e-book or laptop or something. Not much to do between dives (though I would nap a lot).

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

crowtribe posted:

My girlfriend wants to head to Thailand (Patong Beach in particular) to get some dental work done and between the first and second appointments we're thinking of heading off for a minimum 4 day liveaboard.

Does anyone have any experience with liveaboards in the Similan islands region, or operating from Thailand (preferably the Phuket area)?

Alternatively, where's the best place in Thailand to dive? We were originally certified in Koh Phi Phi Don a few years back so obviously somewhere different would be best.

I'd be very careful with diving between dental work. I don't know the specific dental work obviously, so this may be way offbase, but if it involves drilling/any sort of serious work, diving may not be the safest thing to do. I would strongly recommend asking a doctor/dentist before you plan a liveaboard trip between medical procedures.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
The diving won't be between dental work - the first session will just be measurements and moulds etc and then there's a waiting period as they send off for the crowns/caps/whatever else.

I experienced an issue with my teeth and diving earlier this year. 2-3 months before I headed to Nusa Lembongan I had a cavity drilled and filled, but the dentist must've left a small pocket of air in the filling. Hit 3-4m, and the pain in my tooth was excruciating, but eventually lessened - this happened for the first 4 or so dives before it stopped doing it completely and hasn't happened since. No idea what it's done to my filling or tooth though.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
In Belize and we're drinking on our balcony right now since we've got to be at a dock at 5AM tomorrow for the Blue Hole

:getin:

we've had good dives so far and I've got some good pictures.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

So the computer I was eyeing with a great price just went up by $100 so I now have no idea what computer I want now :smith:

I want a watch-sized computer, I've mainly used Zoops and hated how big/bulky they are and I like the idea of always wearing it. I don't want an air integrated computer- out of my budget and I'd feel more comfortable using a SPG than AI to keep track of my air usage anyway.

I'll probably have to budget more- I wanted a Geo 2.0 and one seller had it for $300 but now it's $400. I'm also considering a Suunto D4i without the transmitter. I sort of like the idea that I can just get one later if I change my mind about AI. Nitrox is a must for me.

Any other suggestions for a watch sized computer with nitrox around $300-500? May be able to go over budget a little but not too much. Might as well try find one that's perfect for me instead of going with budget (within reason).

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
Here is one in your price range,

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-sbgxp10w/sub-gear-xp10-wrist-dive-computer

I have the XP-H which is the console version. I like mine quite a bit, easy to use and read in a dive not too hard to change the Nitrox settings. Only thing I don't like is that it will not shut up once I hit 500 psi and keeps on beeping, but I'm sure I can change some setting somewhere.

Don't forget to hit up your LDS and see if they will price match before you buy online.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Is there a general consensus of wrist watch computers vs computers that get hooked up directly to the regulator?

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

Gindack posted:

Here is one in your price range,

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-sbgxp10w/sub-gear-xp10-wrist-dive-computer

I have the XP-H which is the console version. I like mine quite a bit, easy to use and read in a dive not too hard to change the Nitrox settings. Only thing I don't like is that it will not shut up once I hit 500 psi and keeps on beeping, but I'm sure I can change some setting somewhere.

Don't forget to hit up your LDS and see if they will price match before you buy online.

The XP-10 is a nice computer, it's easy to read and somewhat easy to use plus it has a backlight for night dives which is pretty sweet when you need it. The wrist mount version is not small however... it might even be bigger than the zoop. You would surely look like a world class tool wearing it as a watch, although you would always know the current temperature.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

xxEightxx posted:

Is there a general consensus of wrist watch computers vs computers that get hooked up directly to the regulator?

I think it all comes down to personal preference, I went with the one that hooks up into the first stage since it was Air Integrated and functions as a SPG as well so it came out cheaper in the long run.

Downside is if my computer messes up on a trip I have to thumb the dive since I don't have a back up SPG. Also anytime I want to use my computer I need to bring the whole reg setup as well.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Gindack posted:

I think it all comes down to personal preference, I went with the one that hooks up into the first stage since it was Air Integrated and functions as a SPG as well so it came out cheaper in the long run.

Downside is if my computer messes up on a trip I have to thumb the dive since I don't have a back up SPG. Also anytime I want to use my computer I need to bring the whole reg setup as well.

Yeah I used to have this setup with a Puck air, but now have redundancy in the form of an oceanic atom 3 primary AI computer. Loving it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I'll definitely go price match at my LDS or maybe I should just ask them for computer recommendations :v: There's no LDS that close to me but I might make a trip out in Jan or so since I'm planning on buying some boots and Hollis F1s. Might as well pick up a computer on the same trip. :)

Bulk is a really big issue for me, the most bulk I'd put up with is a slightly bulky watch but nothing like a Zoop. I'd like to be able to put my wetsuit on without removing it first.

Also I'm deaf so having bulky crap on my wrists is not helpful for other people when I'm signing :v:

I'm looking at some Tusa computers too since they have vibrating alarms (I can't hear the audible alarms) but I've barely heard anything about Tusa computers. This is the one I'm looking at now, anybody have an IQ-900 or another Tusa computer?

And I'm pushing my budget up to $600 since I had D4is as an option and they're around $550 so eh, why not expand the budget for other possible nice computers too.