Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Save games are synced to a cloud right (for PC)? I am switching computers sometime this week and don't know if I am supposed to be backing up my save somewhere or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Save games are synced to a cloud right (for PC)? I am switching computers sometime this week and don't know if I am supposed to be backing up my save somewhere or something.

http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If I go into New Game + will it make me restart all of the enigma datapacks that I've found?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Datapacks carry over. Same as it was in Arkham City, thank god.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

All of the Anarky, Black Mask, Penguin (etc.) stuff carries over too. I think even the flight points carry over, although they're reset on I Am The Night mode.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Can someone tell me how the DLC for this game works, thanks to needing to keep a loving spreadsheet to make sure you have a full game nowadays? This is all on the PC platform, if that matters.

Ads all over the place pumped out "pre-order to play as Deathstroke!" but I heard that you can play as Deathstroke if you buy after release anyways. Apparently pre-ordering just gave you more challenge maps? Is that what the Black Mask Challenge Pack is?

If I get the Season Pass plus the Black Mask Challenge Pack, will I be getting all the DLC for the game, straight-up? Getting the GOTY edition a year early for $37 is not a bad deal.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Finally playing Origins in earnest. One thing I'm really noticing is the shift in aesthetic. Asylum and City both had that kind of lurid, exaggerated, Kelley Jones-esque kind of look to them, like you're playing through someone's nightmare about a circus. Origins, on the other hand, seems to be taking a page from the Nolan playbook. Everything looks so much more...reasonable. I know everyone says that Origins feels like a re-skin of City, but it really feels way toned down. I'm not saying I don't like it, it's just something I've noticed.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

Finally playing Origins in earnest. One thing I'm really noticing is the shift in aesthetic. Asylum and City both had that kind of lurid, exaggerated, Kelley Jones-esque kind of look to them, like you're playing through someone's nightmare about a circus. Origins, on the other hand, seems to be taking a page from the Nolan playbook. Everything looks so much more...reasonable. I know everyone says that Origins feels like a re-skin of City, but it really feels way toned down. I'm not saying I don't like it, it's just something I've noticed.
My primary question while playing was what the hell is up with Gothamites' obsession with plastering old newspapers to their walls?

VVVV
I think they could have used more of that, honestly.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 3, 2013

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I got the total opposite vibe, actually. To me, this version of Gotham felt a lot more like the Burton/Schumacher Gotham. The Pioneer's Bridge, with it's enormous statues, could have been ripped straight out of Batman & Robin.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pirate Jet posted:

Can someone tell me how the DLC for this game works, thanks to needing to keep a loving spreadsheet to make sure you have a full game nowadays? This is all on the PC platform, if that matters.

Ads all over the place pumped out "pre-order to play as Deathstroke!" but I heard that you can play as Deathstroke if you buy after release anyways. Apparently pre-ordering just gave you more challenge maps? Is that what the Black Mask Challenge Pack is?

If I get the Season Pass plus the Black Mask Challenge Pack, will I be getting all the DLC for the game, straight-up? Getting the GOTY edition a year early for $37 is not a bad deal.

Season Pass + Black Mask Challenge Pack + Online Supply Drop 1 will give you all the currently released content for the game (Not counting 1 skin that you have to sign up for Warner's newsletter for).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

jivjov posted:

Season Pass + Black Mask Challenge Pack + Online Supply Drop 1 will give you all the currently released content for the game (Not counting 1 skin that you have to sign up for Warner's newsletter for).

IT also doesn't give you the skins that are exclusive to the PS3 (azrael/Adam West) and i don't think you can get the skinds that are only obtainable from the iOS game unless you go through some WBID buggery.

Then again, there was a second skin pack released last week that had some of the iOS skins in it but not the Batman Beyond one.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

TL posted:

I got the total opposite vibe, actually. To me, this version of Gotham felt a lot more like the Burton/Schumacher Gotham. The Pioneer's Bridge, with it's enormous statues, could have been ripped straight out of Batman & Robin.

Agreed. I get more of an Anton Furst vibe from this Gotham than the other two. There were some art deco/fascistic buildings in Arkham City (i.e., Gotham Bank), but the architecture here (especially the bridge) feels like Anton Furst's production design on Batman (1989).

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

This new DLC seems to be a big download (if that's what it actually is)...I thought it was just a new combat and predator map? Or is there also story stuff like Harley Quinn's Revenge?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Agreed. I get more of an Anton Furst vibe from this Gotham than the other two. There were some art deco/fascistic buildings in Arkham City (i.e., Gotham Bank), but the architecture here (especially the bridge) feels like Anton Furst's production design on Batman (1989).

I was going mostly by the character design and lighting, but I'm not sure I totally agree with this, either. The Gotham in Origins is hyperbolic, yeah, but to me it still feels like a city. Cramped and dark and claustrophobic, but still somewhere you could see people living. Maybe more like Batman Returns than the original Batman or the Nolan films. Asylum and City felt more like gigantic sound stages. The bizarre architecture, lighting, and character design combine to make them feel more like one of the Schumacher movies. But, y'know, not terrible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

This new DLC seems to be a big download (if that's what it actually is)...I thought it was just a new combat and predator map? Or is there also story stuff like Harley Quinn's Revenge?

It's a new character. Initiation Bruce Wayne has different gimmicks. He has a smoke bomb you can chain into a takedown attack, an 'wave' shuriken throw, the zip kick instead of the bat-pull and a few other things.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are 'story' things as well, but only if you do the campaign.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

There are 'story' things as well, but only if you do the campaign.

Is it separate like the Arkham City DLC or is it slotted into the story like the Catwoman DLC?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

Is it separate like the Arkham City DLC or is it slotted into the story like the Catwoman DLC?

It's separate. It's literally one of the Campaigns in the challenge room except it has cutscenes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

jivjov posted:

What is the costume you get for WArner's newsletter? What if we're already on the newsletter?

Also, what's Online Supply Drop 1?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ThermoPhysical posted:

What is the costume you get for WArner's newsletter? What if we're already on the newsletter?

Also, what's Online Supply Drop 1?

The WBID skin is One Million, and the Supply Drop is some bonus costumes and guns for multiplayer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A quick writeup of Initiation Bruce Wayne:

He's faster than Batman but has a similar set of animations.
He has two takedowns: The regular one and a AoE cone shuriken throw which hits a ton of enemies and does damage/stuns. It's basically the Bat Swarm only in a cone in front of you.

It does not seem like he can stock two takedowns.

Gadgetwise he has only a handful:
The Grapple Gun which functions like Robin's Zip Kick.
Caltrops which are very similar to Catwoman's similar gadget.
Smoke Pellets.
The coolest thing he has is the Kujiki Bomb. It's effectively a super smoke bomb. You only get 3 of them per segment. When used in combat it allows you to instantly perform a new Shuriken Takedown, which hits everything around you in a massive AoE, doesn't require a charge, and will give you a hit on your combo meter for every enemy it hits. In predator rooms is allows you to do frontal takedowns and is basically a 'free down' on an enemy.

He's not as fun in Predator as he is in challenge rooms for the same reason most non-Batman characters aren't. Fewer gadgets and more straightforward interactions. He's really fun in Challenge rooms.

The challenge rooms themselves are fairly straightforward. There is a new Ninja skin and quotes for all the enemies, and it tends to throw a lot of knife, martial artist and sword-wielding enemies at you. The biggest twist is a new and improved Lady Shiva boss fight. She shows up in the last combat room and you have to fight her, as well as a room of enemies. She's still functionally an improved Martial Artist enemy but she has no counter prompts at all and the room itself is on High Aggression so she and the enemies are a lot more aggressive.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So after a few hours I figured out the Deathstroke point-counterpoint achievement without counter prompts. Boy howdy that was a doozy.

Good thing Deathstroke has a bunch of lines when you (re)start the fight otherwise I would've just shot myself in the head trying to do this.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sober posted:

So after a few hours I figured out the Deathstroke point-counterpoint achievement without counter prompts. Boy howdy that was a doozy.

Good thing Deathstroke has a bunch of lines when you (re)start the fight otherwise I would've just shot myself in the head trying to do this.

The deathstroke fight is actually easier on new game plus because the camera slowdown for the counter becomes so glaringly obvious without the counter marker that you really can't miss it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kin posted:

The deathstroke fight is actually easier on new game plus because the camera slowdown for the counter becomes so glaringly obvious without the counter marker that you really can't miss it.

Yeah, I struggled on the first playthrough against Deathstroke WITH counter indicators because I had still been in "just keep on punching!" mode up till that point, and the fight was a good lesson on picking my spots. On New Game+ I had very little issue with getting Point-Counterpoint because I'd been playing the game for hours with the "right" mindset by that point, and even without the counter indicators it became pretty drat obvious when Deathstroke was making his move.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Regarding the new DLC: it was surprisingly good. I was expecting just 1-2 challenges, but 5 in the campaign was pretty great. Especially enjoyed the last one with Shiva, although I feel they probably should have increased the trophy scores for that one (I hit a 90k score before Shiva even appeared, just feels 50k for 3 trophies was a little low.) The actual fight was fun though.

I really like the format of the campaign having a little bit of a flavor cutscene before/after the challenges, and hope they continue this into future Batman games or DLC.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Keeku posted:

Regarding the new DLC: it was surprisingly good. I was expecting just 1-2 challenges, but 5 in the campaign was pretty great. Especially enjoyed the last one with Shiva, although I feel they probably should have increased the trophy scores for that one (I hit a 90k score before Shiva even appeared, just feels 50k for 3 trophies was a little low.) The actual fight was fun though.

I really like the format of the campaign having a little bit of a flavor cutscene before/after the challenges, and hope they continue this into future Batman games or DLC.

Why spoiler this? We know she is in the DLC because of the trailer.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ToastyPotato posted:

Arkham Origins uses Steam Cloud, yes.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Why spoiler this? We know she is in the DLC because of the trailer.

Sorry, I didn't realize the trailer said "Shiva is the final boss of this DLC". Thought I might keep that hidden perhaps for those who are going in blind?

You can presume people are playing it safe if they put spoiler tags on new DLC in games. Hope that clears it up!

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I ended up losing on the last room in the campaign, I've still been having trouble with AO's version of combat and I'm a little out of practice now anyway, are there any cutscenes after you beat that last room or have I already seen all the story stuff?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I was having trouble with the combat, too. Everything seemed so much more frantic until I realized that combat is actually a bit slower in Arkham Origins than in the other two. In Asylum and City you fight by hitting almost non-stop because otherwise your combo dies. In Origins the margin is a lot bigger, so I've been going "<Hit>...Okay, need to counter? No? Okay...<Hit>...Oops, need to counter...<Counter>...Okay, we good? Alright...<Hit>" I've found the game much easier, now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

I ended up losing on the last room in the campaign, I've still been having trouble with AO's version of combat and I'm a little out of practice now anyway, are there any cutscenes after you beat that last room or have I already seen all the story stuff?

There's one last cutscene but it's fairly minor.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Phylodox posted:

I was having trouble with the combat, too. Everything seemed so much more frantic until I realized that combat is actually a bit slower in Arkham Origins than in the other two. In Asylum and City you fight by hitting almost non-stop because otherwise your combo dies. In Origins the margin is a lot bigger, so I've been going "<Hit>...Okay, need to counter? No? Okay...<Hit>...Oops, need to counter...<Counter>...Okay, we good? Alright...<Hit>" I've found the game much easier, now.

I'm having the opposite reaction. I've had a lot of situations where it looks like the henchmen will not hit me, but then he warps to my location, punching me. Apparently I was close enough to be able to counter it, but you couldn't really tell by looking at it until it was too late.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I've encountered that as well. It's really been tough to get in the groove combat-wise. Also, how do you use the shuriken takedown as Bruce Wayne?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I've encountered that as well. It's really been tough to get in the groove combat-wise. Also, how do you use the shuriken takedown as Bruce Wayne?

It's the same button combo as the batswarm. Unless you mean the AOE one then it's the quickfire explosive -> button prompt. (Triangle on the PS3 version.)

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Alright, that was what I thought it was but it didn't always seem like it worked, I guess it hadn't recharged yet or something. And Bruce doesn't have disarm and destroy, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

Alright, that was what I thought it was but it didn't always seem like it worked, I guess it hadn't recharged yet or something. And Bruce doesn't have disarm and destroy, right?

Not unless I missed it, nope. He's more like the Nightwing/Robin character in AC than a reskinned Batman.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I really enjoyed the new DLC, although I did find it funny that a hidden, ancient Korean monastery is outfitted with guns, sniper rifles, mines, etc. The cutscenes between each segment were pretty cool. I would have liked for the other downloadable campaigns to have done that. As others have mentioned, Bruce is really fun in combat. It seems like they gave him entirely new animations, which is nice. Now I desperately want an Uncharted clone with Arkham's combat about the adventures of young Bruce Wayne.

Prior to the DLC coming out I re-played Asylum and City. It struck me again what a quantum leap City was from Asylum. Playing Origins is jarring just because it seems so tonally different and while the map of Old Gotham is pretty much the same, it somehow feels really unfamiliar in Origins. I guess that's a good thing. I don't know if there was anything official about the timeline between Origins and City, but I can really only reconcile it if they're like 8-10 years apart. Origins Batman seems much more heavily inspired by the Nolan movies because he's basically this gruff ball of pent up rage, whereas Asylum/City Batman is this calm, seasoned, but also not loving around BatGod. The contrasts are pretty interesting. In Asylum, you have Batman getting clearance into a maximum security prison. Guards and cops in Asylum and City call him "sir." It's cool to see him as a myth or pariah in Origins. Breaking into the GCPD was one of the most memorable parts of the game for that reason.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Batswarm spam has been the key to the bigger combos in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

jivjov posted:

So the Black Mask Challenge Pack IS what you got for pre-ordering the game?

• Locked thread