Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Dizz posted:

What platform? This is important to me because I consider certain platforms fraudulent.

Also did your twitch get unbanned after all that Horror bullshit?

He plays on VC. OoT is pretty weird. VC is best for MST/All Dungeons, iQUE is best for any%, and n64 is best for 100%.

Also, congrats to peaches for getting that new PB/WR in Doom64 after half a day of attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

iastudent posted:

How you feel about that $1.06 now? :getin:
I don't know if I could possibly be happier to get back to resetting Clash at Demonhead over and over after work tonight. I don't care if I don't make it out of Route 1 for a hundred straight attempts; we are talking "pig in poo poo" levels of happy, here.

...I will miss :tbear:, though. RIP Giant Bear Attack, you deserved a much better game.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty clear that this needs to be decided on a game by game basis by the community. You can write a leaderboard with filters and use more restrictive filters if you're a purist and otherwise open it up to whatever version.

Also I would love it if Zelda runners started trimming the cutscenes from what they upload to YouTube.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The idea of having a database with tags for console, version, etc is very appealing to someone like myself that doesn't run anything, but really likes watching runs. Leaderboards are fine, but I'm more interested in seeing who is running on original hardware vs newer stuff like VC and being able to sort that way.

It would also be great if SDA/SRL could set up a partnership with twitch in some capacity. Something along the lines of having access to records and maybe highlighting channels when runners are on WR pace so that casual viewers will see it would be interesting. It would also be nice to get more ad revenue to partnered runners, but I wouldn't expect much in that regard.

Crotch Bat posted:

I was unaware there were educated adults who type using capitalization for emphasis.

You should check out the Freep thread in D&D.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 2, 2013

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sir Tonk posted:

You should check out the Freep thread in D&D.

I will not be compared to Freepers :mad:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

So good rule to live by: If PJ ever says to you "hey you should buy this game and we should co-op it some time," pack your poo poo and leave no forwarding address. Then burn the internet down just to be sure.

In other, uh, completely unrelated (I swear!) news, Too Human deserves every poo poo review it got. What a godawful loving disaster of a game.

I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed Too Human but yeah it was pretty bad. I loved the idea/setting/etc though.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Elendil004 posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed Too Human but yeah it was pretty bad. I loved the idea/setting/etc though.

Too Human is a horribly broken, and entertaining game.
There's a couple of places where you can straight up clip outside the level and walk to end of area triggers and such. Usually requires Champion shenanigans though(knocking an enemy out of the area, then air dashing to it iirc)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Crotch Bat posted:

I was unaware there were educated adults who type using capitalization for emphasis.

Let that be as condescending as you want it to be because your posts read like some angsty 16 year old's Angelfire page from 1998.

Oh man you should see Spike Lee's twitter.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Heresiarch posted:

Do SOTN runners make a distinction between the original PS version and the XBLA one? It appears that all of the tricks and glitches are intact but I just watch runs sometimes.

Yes, there is a distinction between the two, and they're generally two separate categories. If we're doing races we generally give anyone running the PSX/emulator version a minute or so head start since there's a major descrepancy on load times. Realistically though not many people run the PSX version anymore, i'm probably one of the only ones.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Dizz posted:

Also did your twitch get unbanned after all that Horror bullshit?

It did, but Twitch wouldn't unban me until I sent some rep an email agreeing to their stipulation that I am 'not to instigate harassment in the future' or some nonsense. Seems like everyone at Twitch is fiercely unwilling to admit the ban was unfounded but I guess it's moot since I'm unbanned and Horror is gone (or will be tomorrow). :shrug:

argondamn posted:

Also, congrats to peaches for getting that new PB/WR in Doom64 after half a day of attempts.

Thanks!!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

did you get the PB/WR right after your food run? I regret going to play BF4 now if you did.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Yeah, for whatever reason even though they said they unbanned everyone, you still had to actually send them a message via their support e-mail to get accounts reinstated.

furry drum circle posted:

It did, but Twitch wouldn't unban me until I sent some rep an email agreeing to their stipulation that I am 'not to instigate harassment in the future' or some nonsense. Seems like everyone at Twitch is fiercely unwilling to admit the ban was unfounded but I guess it's moot since I'm unbanned and Horror is gone (or will be tomorrow).

:patriot:

quote:

Lots of emulation/console/version chat!

ZeldaSpeedRuns actually does something like the leaderboard suggestions already! It seems like a really easily workable solution to me.

As for emulation, I think SRL allows any emulator that isn't horrifically broken (SNES9x 1.43, some N64 emulators with plugins) which seems fine to me; as long as there's no huge advantage over using it compared to playing on a real console, it should be fine. Most emulators run the same on modern hardware and if they don't it's usually slowdown, not speedup (unless someone's monitor refresh rate is wonky, I've had it happen with ePSXe before).

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Photex posted:

did you get the PB/WR right after your food run? I regret going to play BF4 now if you did.

My food run was around 11pm pst or so and I started the pb run about 3 hours later. If I have more spare time before AGDQ I'll keep trying to take more off -- I'd take a ton of unnecessary damage on a level and lose 30 seconds on safe strats then gain it back 5 seconds at a time, so there's some decent improvement left. If I cut 1:05 I'd probably be happy with letting the run sit in dormancy until someone gets close to it (if ever). On that note, Cirno did say he was intrigued and would do a blind run sometime this week, which I'm pumped for. I love watching doom64 :holy:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Is there an actual full playthrough (possibly even recording on twitch) or did this get shot down and banned before it got past the first stage? Assuming this hack even has more than one altered stage...

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It's just a title screen hack, used in a stream where the game just replayed the demo over and over while being progressively corrupted.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Zamujasa posted:

As for emulation, I think SRL allows any emulator that isn't horrifically broken (SNES9x 1.43, some N64 emulators with plugins) which seems fine to me; as long as there's no huge advantage over using it compared to playing on a real console, it should be fine. Most emulators run the same on modern hardware and if they don't it's usually slowdown, not speedup (unless someone's monitor refresh rate is wonky, I've had it happen with ePSXe before).

There are a few weird cases where emulators are actually too fast and end up slowing down a speedrun. The one that first comes to mind is Mega Man X2, where you can skip a miniboss by getting offscreen before it spawns, but only on consoles since it lags more than an emulator does.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Meat Recital posted:

There are a few weird cases where emulators are actually too fast and end up slowing down a speedrun. The one that first comes to mind is Mega Man X2, where you can skip a miniboss by getting offscreen before it spawns, but only on consoles since it lags more than an emulator does.

I bet this works fine on bsnes. If not you should report it!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

All of which proves my point that emulators are, with a few exceptions, mere simulacrums of actual gameplay experiences.

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF

DoctorWhat posted:

All of which proves my point that emulators are, with a few exceptions, mere simulacrums of actual gameplay experiences.
please stop

please

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DoctorWhat posted:

All of which PROVES MY POINT that emulators are, with a FEW exceptions, MERE SIMULACRUMS of "actual" gameplay experiences.

Fixed your post for you.

In other news, wow, TMR is blowing up over Contra world record attempts. I don't think he got nearly this mad over Boshy.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Fixed your post for you.

In other news, wow, TMR is blowing up over Contra world record attempts. I don't think he got nearly this mad over Boshy.

I haven't really been in his stream today and would like some details. Does this have to do with him saying this is his last day of Contra attempts?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Possibly, he says he wants to get something better to eliminate any doubt, but he's really tired of Contra and NES in general, he was thinking about branching out to other consoles, even mentioned a PS1.

And apparently plans to get his Lion King WR back.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Meat Recital posted:

No, this actually works just fine on any modern emulator. X2 is a lot faster on emulator (even bsnes to my knowledge, it's about 30 seconds over an any% on snes9x) because of the CX4 chip it uses. Playing it on a SD2SNES flashcart is also slightly faster, since they couldn't replicate the exact clock speed of the chip within the limits of their FPGA hardware.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
TMR Contra 10:08.08 :D holy poo poo

edit: He's doing a DVD reply/commentary thing :getin:

SevenStringGuru fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 3, 2013

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

furry drum circle posted:

It did, but Twitch wouldn't unban me until I sent some rep an email agreeing to their stipulation that I am 'not to instigate harassment in the future' or some nonsense. Seems like everyone at Twitch is fiercely unwilling to admit the ban was unfounded but I guess it's moot since I'm unbanned and Horror is gone (or will be tomorrow). :shrug:

I was gonna ask during your run, but you seemed engrossed. Did they delete all your archived videos, or did you not have any in the first place and I'm misremembering?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Mecharichter denied partnership... yet again. :sigh:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

SevenStringGuru posted:

TMR Contra 10:08.08 :D holy poo poo

edit: He's doing a DVD reply/commentary thing :getin:

Dang, that owns. May Contra rest in peace.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.

iastudent posted:

That sucks :( I hope mecha can gain partnership. I've been watching him and gilder and having a blast. Maybe after AGDQ he can try again?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

iastudent posted:

Twitch hates SOTN.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Are Twitch VODs just not loading for anyone else? I've been trying to watch AdamAK's GTA 3 snow mod run for 2 days now without the hideous Youtube audio issues and can't get the drat thing to load at all.

limbohead
Jan 1, 2005
pigeons is rats with magic inside
Sig has a good run going right now: http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

limbohead posted:

Sig has a good run going right now: http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

The amazing thing is that he can probably get a 1:42:xx if he gets a serious run together.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
1:44.42.6 for Siglemic

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
With 14,000 viewers, too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

All of whom seem to think it's a World Record, the dipshits.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

All of whom seem to think it's a World Record, the dipshits.

Pretty sure they're just trolling.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

iastudent posted:

It's always fun clicking on one of Mecha's archived videos of SOTN attempts and having some of the first words out of his mouth be "I'm really tired tonight guys, not sure how long I'm going to be streaming." Then you look down at the total video length and see that it's over 11 hours long...

That's a lot of Richter name inputs.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Blueglass confirmed coming to AGDQ `14.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Elendil004 posted:

Blueglass confirmed coming to AGDQ `14.

Oh boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The goon spergin will be glorious. :allears:

And I didn't realize Monopoli had made it back to the schedule, can't wait to see Halo 2 on AGDQ, its a pretty awesome speedgame surprisingly.

• Locked thread