Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Punch Quest got a new update. Couple of new skills, and now there are snaks. I mean snakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Da Gaspodin
May 2, 2006

boxSpin(time);
Division Cell is a procedurally generated puzzle game that me and some friends have been working on during evenings and weekends over the past 9 months. It's available for both iOS and Android, has no in-app purchase crap and while it has 140 levels in 4 level packs, there's also two other game modes with fully procedural levels, so you'll get infinite replay value out of those!

Check it out at App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id673531723

Play the HTML5 version on the web:

http://cell.hyperspaceyard.com

Only registered members can see post attachments!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Da Gaspodin posted:

Division Cell is a procedurally generated puzzle game that me and some friends have been working on during evenings and weekends over the past 9 months. It's available for both iOS and Android, has no in-app purchase crap and while it has 140 levels in 4 level packs, there's also two other game modes with fully procedural levels, so you'll get infinite replay value out of those!

Check it out at App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id673531723

Play the HTML5 version on the web:

http://cell.hyperspaceyard.com

Hey this looks great and I love the art style. Silly little thing: I think the photos with the iPhones on the carpet are horrible! Something about them really put's me off the whole page.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Seems pretty interesting. Tried a couple of puzzles on the web version, took me a while to get the hang of them. Pretty great I thought. Will definitely be picking this up soon.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Is Cthulhu Saves the World good? If you had to choose between it and Knights of Pen & Paper, which would it be?
Cthulhu Saves the World is amazing. It's like the old school Dragon Warrior games but with (surprisingly) well done humor and some new mechanics like branching skills and a combo system. Highly recommended.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The Rokstar posted:

Cthulhu Saves the World is amazing. It's like the old school Dragon Warrior games but with (surprisingly) well done humor and some new mechanics like branching skills and a combo system. Highly recommended.

The same team did the penny arcade game for the iOS. That game was fun as well. And they did the humor so it was actually funny.

Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004

Necroneocon posted:

Anyone have any reviews on Towncraft? http://appshopper.com/games/towncraft The no IAP promise seems really nice, and it looks like a nice relaxing town builder.

Basically Towncraft is like a 2d Minecraft with slave labor. The object is to build up a town by sawing lumber to make buildings, collecting stone for tools, getting sand for glass and mining for metal. The key thing to remember is the game is is relaxing. You have quests, but there is no time limit, you can take as long as you want to finish your quest or build up your town.

You take the resources you collect and combine them to build furniture like Work Benches and Ovens, which allow you to make more complex items. Eventually you build windmills and mines, which have to be built next to existing deposits of iron or coal, so don't mine all the iron out of one vein or else you'll have to put your mines far from your town. You sell your crafted goods to wandering merchants and use the subsequent money to hire peons, which you can assign to mine ore veins, fish, run the windmill you just built, etc. Eventually, you will start building shops which you can staff with peons and stock with the items you've crafted from the resources your little NPC slaves collected.

One of the cooler features is the way you can find wild growing grapes and collect the entire bush. Then build a fenced in area, plant the grapes and then hire a farmer to collect your crops to ensure that they are collected before they spoil. Once the grapes are harvested, you use barrels to brew wine, then build a tavern, hire a bartender and stock the tavern with alcohol, then sit back and watch the money pour in as stuck up nobles stop by to get drunk on their way though your town. You can also build a weapons shop and stock it with swords, daggers and shields. The same wandering nobles will then stock up on their arms supply and head out, suitably drunk and armed.

I only had to check the wiki for a couple of things, input the game is mostly pretty intuitive. Once you get a lot of raw goods, theres a lot of trial and error to figure out what to do with the materials you have, like cotton, for example. Also the game is super responsive, and it's easy to click quickly while trying to make short poles, only to run out of materials and accidentally move instead. Your little guy moves like a turtle and it can take him a while to get to a far location.

I bought it on sale for 99 cents and it is well worth it, although the game crashes far too much, The auto save mitigates the crashing, but not enough. . I might have regretted the full price though, as the aforementioned infrequent crashes make it feel unfinished, although that could have been because I'm using an iPad Air, YMMV.

The game does not have any IAP as advertised. It's also not a timer game, and it's much more fun than FarmVille or or similar games. While you are waiting for your farms to mature, you can go mine or try to figure out how to make cloth or bake some bread for a quest, etc, etc. That's a pretty good game mechanic and actually scratches an itch I've been having.

I'm still in the first town map. The game supposedly opens more maps after you clear enough quests, but it's taking forever. However, I'm still enjoying exploring the land and figuring out game mechanics, so I am not sure if it's because I'm moving so slowly or the game is broken. The info sheet tells me that I've finished the scenario, but it said that the moment I started the game, so I'm pretty sure it's a lying bastard.

With all the caveats, I would have no problem recommending it at 99 cents. It is iPad only. I bought it and Lone Wolf at the same time and I haven't touched Lone Wolf since I started Towncraft. Full price though is something else. If you like survival/construction games, you might get enjoyment out of it, but the 4.99 price tag is pretty stiff. I'd wait for a sale, then scoop that sucker up.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Hobbes24 posted:

I'm still in the first town map. The game supposedly opens more maps after you clear enough quests, but it's taking forever. However, I'm still enjoying exploring the land and figuring out game mechanics, so I am not sure if it's because I'm moving so slowly or the game is broken. The info sheet tells me that I've finished the scenario, but it said that the moment I started the game, so I'm pretty sure it's a lying bastard.

What does this mean? Is the game broken up into levels (town maps) you have to beat and then start over after each one? I was picturing it more like a minecraft type open world. Is that not the case?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Kinda wish I saw this thread over the weekend now. I'll wait for it to maybe come down a couple bucks before picking it up, but it looks pretty neat. Kinda surprised it's been out for so long and I haven't heard much about it.

Maybe we can do for this what we did for 10mil? ... We did that, right? I know this thread has made some games get much much more press before.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is it iPad only or something? A quick google makes it sound like it's on the iphone as well, but it doesn't show up in my App Store. (:canada:)

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
According to AppShopper yeah, iPad only.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

So there's this new game called continue?9876543210.

http://appshopper.com/games/continue9876543210

http://youtu.be/lS_RhOKBkCA

Anyone else tried it? I'm goddamn fascinated but can't grab it just yet.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

This is a loving insane trailer. I may buy it if I get drunk later.

Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004

jerkstore77 posted:

What does this mean? Is the game broken up into levels (town maps) you have to beat and then start over after each one? I was picturing it more like a minecraft type open world. Is that not the case?

I think unlocking the different maps is their version of a campaign mode, The game has map themes, which unlock after you complete enough quests. The first one appears to be a lush topical jungle with weird square and cone shaped trees. Can't tell you about the other maps.

Each map is completely self sufficient and it appears that you can build a complete town on each map.

There is also a challenge mode, but I haven't tried it.

Towncraft is iPad only.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

In TDS it says I've completed all the Assembly Missions, but I'm still getting the assembly VIPs. What's the point of these guys if I don't need to assemble anything?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I really want to like Tower of Fortune 2, but god drat does it piss me off sometimes. I wish there was a bit more control to it, like King Cashing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
remember Radballs? The game that is rad? about balls? I played it last night and decided to try hard difficulty.

it ... did not go well. I will never be a Radballs master. What's the trick I'm missing aside from "make little radball cubes as fast as your puny brain allows"

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

triplexpac posted:

I really want to like Tower of Fortune 2, but god drat does it piss me off sometimes. I wish there was a bit more control to it, like King Cashing.
King Cashing just turns into ultra-bullshit around the end though.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

triplexpac posted:

I only just realized that you can time the slots to try and land on what you want. I feel like so far I can either choose to farm levels before the midboss (boring as heck) or play "normally" until the midboss / boss auto-levelling stomp me, then start over with as much cash as you can carry and try to unlock the next area. I'm about at the point where I can buy insurance the second time (4k gold) so it doesn't cost me nearly as much to start over. I can also save up for the item that resets all bosses back down to level 1, but I'm a bit less confident it'll be worth it.

Has anyone bought the mascot item? It says it pays out gold if you find it in camp, but I'm super suspicious it'll be worth it.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I'm super suspicious the game is just designed to frustrate you into buying IAPs...

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I'm super suspicious the game is just designed to frustrate you into buying IAPs...

I don't even understand the IAP. There is permanent death. Why would I pay money for some in game currency that I will lose if I die?

Normally games like this do coin doublers or start with x items when you start, etc.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
There is IAP in ToF2? I didn't even notice!

I would really like the game if it wasn't trying to be a roguelike... I just want to level my guy up and get loot, sheesh.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN ONLY EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON'T LISTEN TO ME.

TheManWithNoName posted:

In TDS it says I've completed all the Assembly Missions, but I'm still getting the assembly VIPs. What's the point of these guys if I don't need to assemble anything?

All VIPs are Supply Officers or Level Movers, all the time.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody have any thoughts on iPad Air vs iPad Mini for gaming?

The iPad Air seems to be a little better for most games (i.e. larger screen so better for X-Com, etc), but for smaller games that require both hands (that new Zelda clone, Junk Jack?, and others...) it might be better on the mini... :(

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Sad lions posted:

So there's this new game called continue?9876543210.

http://appshopper.com/games/continue9876543210

http://youtu.be/lS_RhOKBkCA

Anyone else tried it? I'm goddamn fascinated but can't grab it just yet.

This just got mentioned over at Pocket Tactics, with a shoutout to SA for finding it.

So you're famous!

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

This just got mentioned over at Pocket Tactics, with a shoutout to SA for finding it.

So you're famous!

Finally, my time has come.

Vinlaen posted:

The iPad Air seems to be a little better for most games (i.e. larger screen so better for X-Com, etc), but for smaller games that require both hands (that new Zelda clone, Junk Jack?, and others...) it might be better on the mini... :(

If it helps, I find I can comfortably play Junk Jack with one hand thanks to movement all being swipes and needing to be stationary (at least I think so) to interact with objects anyway.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Sad lions posted:

If it helps, I find I can comfortably play Junk Jack with one hand thanks to movement all being swipes and needing to be stationary (at least I think so) to interact with objects anyway.
Are you talking about the Air or Mini? (I'm assuming the Air)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Device 6 is really loving cool. I don't know if its a game or not but I encourage everyone in here to get it if you like reading and adventure type games.

Yea at this point I think Simogo are competing against themselves for game of the year (between this and Year Walk)

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Vinlaen posted:

Are you talking about the Air or Mini? (I'm assuming the Air)

Well I use an iPad 4 but that's the same size as the air (so I read).

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Psion posted:

remember Radballs? The game that is rad? about balls? I played it last night and decided to try hard difficulty.

it ... did not go well. I will never be a Radballs master. What's the trick I'm missing aside from "make little radball cubes as fast as your puny brain allows"

I made it most the way through hard, then decided the music wasn't really my style and just kinda stopped.

I did just download Mikey Shorts, since it went free, and played through it. I didn't want to pay for it because I hated the flash game, and once I started I realized the grave error I had made--the flash game I was thinking of was something like Awesome Pants, and this is an entirely different game! A better version of mos speed run, IMHO.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

Has anyone bought the mascot item? It says it pays out gold if you find it in camp, but I'm super suspicious it'll be worth it.

Not sure about #2, but in the first tower of fortune the mascot was totally worth it. I could get 250-ish gold easy every time it showed up, and you could keep going back to the camp to try and make it respawn.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Vinlaen posted:

Personally I think the mini is the better form factor. I've used an ipad2 and a mini and I just think for most things it's better, especially, as you say, things that use both hands. Anything that's optimized for the phone is going to be better on mini, etc.

In fairness, and this is something I don't have personal experience with, the reduced weight of the Air over the ipad2 is a pretty big deal. I want to hold one and see if it's really helpful. Even if it is, though, the size of the 2 is just slightly awkward to hold and use for games at the same time. Watching netflix? Hell yeah. Playing a game? Not so much.

There's also the ancillary benefit of the mini being easier to carry around, not requiring a larger bag like the 2/Air, etc. If you never take it with you, the extra screen size is never helpful for gaming, you know?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Ugggh, I'm so tired of stocking frigging Blue Milk in TDS. I've upgraded the floor 10 times and I still have to restock Blue Milk 8-10 times a day.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

IrregularOreos posted:

Anyone play Junk Jack X?

I've played the original, and absolutely adored it. Just wondering if anyone can convince me to spend twice as much on the sequel. Anyone have any opinions?

Alternatively, does anyone have other suggestions for another game with long term goals/projects?

I never played the first Junk Jack (I played a bit of Blockheads but no Minecraft or Terraria) but I bought JJX when it launched and absolutely love it. Just unlocked the 5th biome and now I'm working on building my masterpiece fortress v2.0 on the surface of a lava planet. I'm not very creative but I've had a great time building in JJX, something about it resonates with the same part of my brain that loves Legos. I can try and answer questions if you pick it up and have any.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Basically in ToF 2 the best thing to do is grind yourself silly and try not to die. Don't fight things that can knock off most of your health in one go, abuse the poo poo out of respinning, and whatever you do, don't let enemies start comboing you. Later on try to keep stocked up on the health and anti-stun potions.

Also feed the wolf as much as possible, don't cook meat, choose things that boost Rage related stuff on level up, buy all the item slots, get insurance, find the most ridiculous items you can, and upgrade them a bunch. If you can get I think ten Orichalcum, you get a legendary item. Dunno if they're all good but the one I got was ridiculously broken.

Finally, when bosses/minibosses get to level five or so, don't fight them again until after you reset them with an hourglass. Oh, and Grey Robe is a cheating bastard.

Get the mascot, it looks hilariously out of place in the camp. It's also basically infinite money if you're patient, but really it's probably not going to pay for itself any time soon.

This is much later on, but when you beat the final boss, you get to just pick an ending and there's like ten. Some drop you into a fight with a ridiculously strong extra final boss, others just let you win. Then getting other endings is just getting all the keys again and taking another whack at the last dungeon.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Ugggh, I'm so tired of stocking frigging Blue Milk in TDS. I've upgraded the floor 10 times and I still have to restock Blue Milk 8-10 times a day.

Out of all the money grubbing changing they made to the TT formula, the nerfing of upgrading is easily the most annoying. Pretty much any food floor I build is guaranteed to need to be stocked constantly and there's not a whole lot that can be done about it without putting alot of spacebux into it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't know why you'd even bother upgrading the food levels, or any low stock level. If you don't want to stock them just ignore them. With the way the upgrading mechanic works it only makes sense to upgrade your largest stock levels. 10% increase in stock each time gives you wayyyy more money if you use it on the big floors like Bounty Hunters.

I'm pretty sure stocking time doesn't increase with upgrades either, but I could be mistaken on that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DarkJC posted:

I don't know why you'd even bother upgrading the food levels, or any low stock level. If you don't want to stock them just ignore them. With the way the upgrading mechanic works it only makes sense to upgrade your largest stock levels. 10% increase in stock each time gives you wayyyy more money if you use it on the big floors like Bounty Hunters.

I'm pretty sure stocking time doesn't increase with upgrades either, but I could be mistaken on that.

If I didn't feel an OCD like urge to make sure every floor was as fully stocked as I could make it, I probably wouldn't still be playing this stupid game, so not stocking floors is not an option. Also, you are correct that upgrading a floor does not increase it's stock time. As annoying as that Blue Milk is, it still always just take a minute to stock.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN ONLY EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON'T LISTEN TO ME.
What Dark said. Your ROI is linear and proportional to the initial size of the stock, so throwing bux to make 10 turn into 11 is pretty much pointless when you could be making 500 into 550.

Basically just ignore those levels and only bother stocking them incidentally. Chuck your bux at your 5000 stock x 3 dream-jobber levels to receive the highest payback when you've left the game alone 12 hours and it's still selling.

Also, what happens when you have built all the level designs, does it loop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

If it's at all like TT, no looping. At that point you launch it every now and then to restock and rake in the coins so when an update with more floors comes, you can build all the new floors immediately.

• Locked thread