Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

MarsellusWallace posted:

I'm eyeballing a Mustang as my first car to be a daily driver in small town Iowa, where snow is a certainty, while snow removal is not. I've got a lot of experience driving a torquey 2wd Cummins pickup in questionable conditions - is it reasonable to expect a Mustang with snow tires to be better in snow and sleet?

Also, should I be avoiding the 1st model year of the next generation? I'm assuming it's a major upgrade in ride/handling and interior, but I'm not sure if major quality control problems are to be expected with such a major model change.

Get the nicest 2005+, gt if possible. They handle quite well, have decent power, are reliable and much more fun to drive than previous versions. You probably won't need snow tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I know this is one of my two repeated contributions to this thread, but... I drive a '98 GT all year 'round in Minnesota with all-seasons and it's been no trouble at all. I drove up from small town Iowa last May during that snowstorm that dropped a foot without issue, but I would be worried about trying to take an unplowed hill with more than 6" on the ground. If I lived where there weren't plows, and were hills, I would probably not drive the Mustang in 6" or more.

Not sure how the newest generation fares. It's probably better, but either way; I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 5.0. Risk the failure rate. :colbert:

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

vote_no posted:

I know this is one of my two repeated contributions to this thread, but... I drive a '98 GT all year 'round in Minnesota with all-seasons and it's been no trouble at all. I drove up from small town Iowa last May during that snowstorm that dropped a foot without issue, but I would be worried about trying to take an unplowed hill with more than 6" on the ground. If I lived where there weren't plows, and were hills, I would probably not drive the Mustang in 6" or more.

Not sure how the newest generation fares. It's probably better, but either way; I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 5.0. Risk the failure rate. :colbert:

I drive an 01 GT through Minneapols and echo this. In 4 winters I've only slid off the road once and it was in conditions so lovely it would have happened in almost any car.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

MarsellusWallace posted:

I'm eyeballing a Mustang as my first car to be a daily driver in small town Iowa, where snow is a certainty, while snow removal is not. I've got a lot of experience driving a torquey 2wd Cummins pickup in questionable conditions - is it reasonable to expect a Mustang with snow tires to be better in snow and sleet?

Also, should I be avoiding the 1st model year of the next generation? I'm assuming it's a major upgrade in ride/handling and interior, but I'm not sure if major quality control problems are to be expected with such a major model change.

I've DD'd a 1999 v6 MT in southeast Michigan since February 2012. I've always had all seasons on it and haven't gotten stuck/slid off the road. Fresh snow is amazing to drive on. Sleet is as awful as ice. As cars polish the snow into slush/ice even a 5% grade at a stop sign/light can give you some trouble, if you have speed built up hills and grades are not a problem at all unless they are very long. So if you live near slopes with stops at the top of them you will need some snow tires. Iowa is flat, right? I don't think you will have a problem. Your experience will not be any worse than the truck and it can only be better if you slap some snow tires on the mustang.

As for getting the first model year of a next gen (SN-95 to New Edge) the main problem I run into is the cup holders were clearly not designed with stick shifts in mind. I had a brake caliper seize which took the rotor with it. Aside from the the only thing I have put into it is gas and oil since Ive gotten it. There are some used car basics I should have done: new dampers all around, new motor mounts, the parking brake mount is broken but mostly functional, ect.

I almost got stuck where I needed to dig my car out. It sat on the street for few days after a big snow before the plows finally came down our road. I was able to rock the car out of it thanks to it being a stick shift. Once I needed to turn around a a snowy slope because I couldn't make it all the way up. It was 100 meters long and there was a 90 degree turn right before it that limited my momentum.

vvv What up, engineering buddy!? Mechanical? Thats what im in. I drive by the Ford HQ on the way to school every day but the bastards only have EE internships as far as I have been able to find out. Ford is doing the 2015 Mustang official unveiling on the 5th.

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 3, 2013

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Thanks for the input, guys. I'd like to point out that this thread drove an excellent financial decision (decided to do engineering school after reading about the 5.0 and 3.7), and a terrible one (buying a performance car as a young male immediately out of school).
I'm going to wait and see how the next generation turns out (It'll be out in the spring, right?)
If it's great, I'm out 30 grand, and will report back how great it is
If it's not, I'll get a current gen, and I'm out 28 grand anyway, because apparently these things don't depreciate

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

MarsellusWallace posted:

Thanks for the input, guys. I'd like to point out that this thread drove an excellent financial decision (decided to do engineering school after reading about the 5.0 and 3.7), and a terrible one (buying a performance car as a young male immediately out of school).
I'm going to wait and see how the next generation turns out (It'll be out in the spring, right?)
If it's great, I'm out 30 grand, and will report back how great it is
If it's not, I'll get a current gen, and I'm out 28 grand anyway, because apparently these things don't depreciate

13s are still on the lot heavily discounted, 14s are still out there as well. The 5.0 carries over unchanged (mechanically) with MT82 for MY15 (which probably won't be found at invoice) until summer 2014.

It's never not a good time to buy a Mustang.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
2015 has been leaked:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/03/2015-ford-mustang-photos-leaked/

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I am really liking that rear fascia.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Looks like a v6 with pony (appearance) package? Holding onto my jimmies until they can be properly rustled.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
At first glance I'm so so. The roofline is a bit too drastic for me, but the rear fascia is nice.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Whats the article say about things like curb weight, engine choices, and IRS?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm not sure I'm sold on the new look. Granted it took me a little while to warm up to the face-lifted 2010 but now I like it better than the 2005, so who knows. It's an interesting look at least, but I agree with 1791apparel: that roofline means the backseats are even more useless than before.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

It's pretty hard to read, but there's mention of IRS, a 200-pound weight drop, bigger brakes for the GT. Interestingly, there's only mention of 2.3 and 5.0, nothing about the V6. But that section is also talking about Performance Package options, so I guess it's possible there is a V6, but it won't be offered with a performance pack.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Fucknag posted:

I am really liking that rear fascia.

If there's one thing I'm positive about, it's that they nailed the look from the rear view.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
And thats all the other cars are gonna be seein FELLAS YEHAWW

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

coolskillrex remix posted:

And thats all the other cars are gonna be seein FELLAS YEHAWW

Awwww yeaaaaaa

But yea, rear end looks great. I like the front headlight style as well, but the overall lines of the front don't quite add up nicely to me yet. Maybe it'll be better with some of the different grill/front fascia packs. The current cars have plenty of those at least, so hopefully that's something that will still be a thing.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Looks excellent. Only issue I have is the body-colored rear splitter. I'd rather keep it black or make it an option to be body colored. I love the late 60's vibe I'm getting from the rear end. Also, I think what's throwing off the front end is the smallish headlights and the big spots where the fog lights are.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, I think it'd be just about perfect if the whole front top/bottom grill area was just a little bit shorter/compressed height wise. It would fit with the headlight size better, and give the car a more aggressive rakish angle from the side, too, if the front had a slight downward slope. I don't think it would take very much to achieve that effect, either. (Which probably means I'll come to just like it well enough as is over time).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know if it's just the photo or what, but the front seems altogether too round - like they took a picture of a Mustang, printed it on vinyl, and wrapped that around a Sebring front clip.

The back half looks drat nice, though.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I guess there's no surprise that it suffers from the same high belt-line that plagues that Camaro and Challenger as well.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I just can't dig those headlights, man.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

oRenj9 posted:

I guess there's no surprise that it suffers from the same high belt-line that plagues that Camaro and Challenger as well.

Yea, I think if I had to pick my least favorite thing, this would be it. It's just so loving bad for visibility out of the car.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
High beltlines are here to stay--it's a side impact safety thing. Get over it.

The headlights are definitely the part that bug me the most. I'm hoping they look better in person.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dick Burglar posted:

High beltlines are here to stay--it's a side impact safety thing. Get over it.
They're still terrible, and we're allowed to discuss terrible things that displease us.

Note: I have not yet been hit by a car.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That front three-quarter view has an unfortunate reflection that makes the passenger side look like it has a Nissan GT-R headlight, which bugs me. But that sloping roofline and rear end makes me think of a 350Z which I think is awesome as it's one of the nicest looking RWD coupes made since the turn of the century.

I still think it will look really nice in person. These early press photos sometimes aren't the greatest.

Edit: Maybe this will end up being more Ford Z-car than muscle car? It will still go like gently caress with the V8.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 4, 2013

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I really dig it. The rear end looks amazing. That said, a single inch off the beltline would do wonders.

E: are those actual photos or renderings?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Does it come stock with -3 degrees rear camber or is that a track pack add on?

^^^ I'm guessing from this alone that is a rendering

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's hard for me to tell. I am looking at it thru a first gen iPad that generally lives in my garage and the protective cover looks like someone to sandpaper to it.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Looking at it at home now its 100% a render

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Looking at it at home now its 100% a render

They're officially unveiling it Thursday morning right?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
From the side profile it looks really tall and stubby. Nthing the hate for high beltlines.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Oh, drat.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That looks much, much better. It may be the lighting, but it looks like they were able to disguise some of the high beltline with curvature in the doors.

Daddy likey

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 4, 2013

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

It looks different in every set of leaked pics that come out

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
More pictures
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
OK that's a way better picture.

e: Get some new springs and lower the fronts by an inch or so, then we're even getting in to "OK I think I can overlook the silly high beltline stuff" territory.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 4, 2013

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I want to see it next to a curent-gen Mustang to see the size difference.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I haven't driven a Ford in 15 years, what exactly is SYNC? I'm a heavy bluetooth user in the car (phone calls and playing music), is SYNC required for that?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Sync is just their name for phone bluetooth integration. I don't have it in my car, but I've driven rentals with it, and it does all the usual stuff. Phone phonebook integration, voice control, music etc.
(This is with an HTC One, fwiw).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Yikes, so I would need the $1,200 tech package just to get bluetooth.